Digimon Adventure: Episode 50- The End, The Ultimate Holy Battle

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 50, The End, The Ultimate Holy Battle

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 49.

Episode 50 airs Sunday, May 30th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, May 29th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, May 29th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, May 30th, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

• ep50preview08_may29_2021feature.jpg
    ep50preview08_may29_2021feature.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 13,175

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That went mostly how I expected to be honest.

The WarGreymon stuff was fun. Happy the Taichi/Agumon stuff at the beginning went quickly.

I liked that Goddramon and Holydramon had weight for their size. Them evolving because of all 8 crests was an interesting touch.

Milly gets blown up and becomes Zeed, which will make people who wanted to see him again happy.

Then we get the ol' Dragon Ball Spirit Bomb. And then WarGreymon and the Spirit Bomb go Super Saiyan Blue. It was all very Dragon Ball in the end, which worked well enough for a large one episode villain fight.

If anything was disappointing I feel like I would have preferred to see even more WarGreymon action.

Not much to say overall as it went roughly as you'd expect, and was a fun battle episode.

Even the 'hopes and dreams' of everything stuff was about what you would expect, down to Leomon standing there and commenting on a fight that I'm not clear on if he could even see.

Glad to see they got their corsages in the end, with Agumon looking very dapper and proud.

Ghalheart

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, this was the part kaiju, part Dragon Ball fight I was hoping for in this episode, and I got my wish.

They did a great job at conveying the sheer magnitude of Milleniumon's power, as well as Taichi and WarGreymon being the lone warriors against a god-like being of destruction. And then we get Goddramon and Holydramon and their absolutely massive forms to combat Milleniumon. I was definitely entertained, and the animation quality overall was an absolute treat. :D

The finale with WarGreymon using the Digital World's energy to unleash a powerful Spirit Bomb Gaia Force to destroy ZeedMilleniumon was a nice touch. I was half expecting Omegamon to appear and deal the final blow, but this climax felt like a reward for Taichi and WarGreymon being the driving force for rescuing the other Chosen Children, not to mention being a good ol' fashioned shonen-styled finisher.

Definitely not an episode with any kind of riveting character-driven plot and payoff, but definitely an action-packed episode of pure spectacle that puts an end to one of the biggest threats in the show, not to mention one of the most threatening forces of all of Digimon lore.

That said, in a typical anime series, Milleniumon would've been the "final boss" and that's it, right? But we've still got another story arc ahead of us, so now I'm left wondering where the series will go from here...

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just as the first mini-arc of this series was a reimagining of Children's War Game, I feel like this episode was a sort of reimagining (in a slightly less obvious way) of Hurricane Touchdown. Chosen Children trapped in a strange dark pocket dimension, Patamon and Tailmon miraculously going to Ultimate, though thankfully this time they got to do something before powering up the main hero so he could steal the show. All in all, it was a damn good fight. The Spirit Bomb comparison had to be made, of course, but in a more Digimon way it reminded me rather of Shoutmon X7 Superior Mode.

Ragnalord

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
One wor describes this episode "epic".

The only part I didn't like was the spirit bomb dragon ball thing at the end, I dont like these kind of things, should have just been omegamon at the end to end it, which would have been typical, honestly would have preferred that more.

Eitaroutarouman

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Farewell(?), Milleniumon. You were such a bland, uninteresting antagonist they apparently couldn't be bothered to give Zeed a proper ep. Just stuck it into the end so Tai had to be the one to save the day. Animation was good though.

Amandil7

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode of Kaijumon Z represented everything done wrong in this series: the lopsided focus on Tai, the animation oscillating between good & bad + 2/3rds of the dialogue being Onnniiiichaaaan! Well atleast no Omnimon *shrugs*.

To be fair, I've enjoyed a lot of this series but as a follow up to the amazing preceding ep, this one carried gigantic (pun intended) expectations after all the build up. 49 *chef's kiss* had the balance just right, this one was going great until it fell flat towards the climax! Major case of one step forward, three steps back.

The series loves to upscale things and while that makes for amazing action, the animation did not always back those up. There were some really badly drawn frames for the Dragons, it was cringeworthy at times. Scenes which were meant to be epic, looked like Numemon among good ones. I'll admit seeing a buff Goddramon repeatedly punch Millie in the face and then him getting pounced and bitten by Magnadramon was awesome. I wish we had seen Goddramon summon Amon and Umon, but seeing Apocalypse was great.

Speaking of Dragons, they should've let the Holy Digimon have this one but ofcourse they had to give Tai the kill in the end. In the OG Adventure, the Angels took out Devimon, Myotismon and Piedmon, three Major villains! In 2020, hyped as the Holy Digimon have been, it's clear they're just there to give Tai (the worst, most one dimensional protagonist) an ASSIST! He predictably stole the show from them for his giant Spirit Bomb at the end.

The others were relegated to extras once more, why did they even bother to digivolve to Ultimates/Perfects & MetalGarurumon is beyond me. The "All of your voices gave me courage" line at the end was appropriate, that's what the others are at this point. Cheerleaders for Tai!

What we repeatedly get with this series is basically an endless reel of Tai & Agumon getting up when they're down scenes with Onichan playing in the BG. Had they taken the time to add depth to him, like they did for some of the others, it may be 30% more likable but naa!

As for Milleniummon, another voiceless, mindless villain like DoneDevimon & DarkKnigtmon and got even less time to shine. RIP so called Evil God.

Na Fam! No corsages for this episode from me. And a damn shame cuz Goddramon debuted but was lost among the mess and I really wanted to like this one.

taz111

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Farewell(?), Milleniumon. You were such a bland, uninteresting antagonist they apparently couldn't be bothered to give Zeed a proper ep. Just stuck it into the end so Tai had to be the one to save the day. Animation was good though.
Everyone saved the day. Also, the Holy digimon gave them the added power to help take down Zeed. It was a combined effort.

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Honestly, I loved the big fight between the Holy Dragons and Millenniummon. The animation I'll concede was a bit spotty, but I don't think it took away much from the feeling of seeing these two big dragons beat down on a chimeric abomination. It was just fun watching them go at it and I had a big grin on my face throughout that entire scene.

Brubarb

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Edit: I rewatched the episode, and I really enjoyed the first half as well as the holy digimon's fight. The rushed ending hurt, but everything before it was really good.

Spirit Bomb was gross... Or maybe I expect too much out of a kids show. I bet kids would think the spirit bomb was so cool!

If they were going to do that, I'd have preferred if all the partner Digimon used their main attacks, and the energy from those attacks transferred to it. That would make it feel as if the kids actually contributed to something instead of doing nothing but cheer.

Last edited:

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The others were relegated to extras once more, why did they even bother to digivolve to Ultimates/Perfects & MetalGarurumon is beyond me.
Uh, so Millenniumon wouldn't kill them? It was explained in the episode itself.

Notus

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was not expecting Holydramon and Goddramon to be Milleniumon's size, but it was pretty epic, as was their battle. Apocalypse's visuals were great. But with that size and the way they empowered Gaia Force, I don't think we will see the dragons again, unless they make a justification for them to be "regular" Ultimate size.

They took Gaia Force to it's literal extreme, uh. It basically became a one-shot ShoutmonX7 Superior Mode. I dislike a bit that Taichi/WarGreymon became the focal point of the fight against Zeed, but the fact that he only achieved victory through everyone's help, specially the Holy Digimon's, makes it okay.

I wonder if the series will deal with the fact that Milleniumon scorched a good portion of the Digital World. Maybe that will power up / be part of a plan of the dark forces mastermind?

Lilimonblooms

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It was a very good episode for me, the animation was amazing and the angels were great.
However, the others and yamato still deserved to have more spotlight.
Was it that hard to make them launch some attacks at the end to help wargreymon?
Yamato should have done more too as someone who unlocked mega.
Taichi and mimi in the end was beautiful

Dynamicmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If there's anything that can be said about this series, it's that the sound design is insanely good. Gives a real heft to the impacts. Especially if you compare it to other toei anime that use really outdated sound effects.

Libra

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Holydramon once again beats Ophanimon.
Time to dismiss the fake design. Holy dragon is the best mega form, and it's more than enough for Tailmon line.

RyummaSama

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode was really good, the animation was amazing!

I mean it was cliché, but clichés aren't always bad; the battle did feel kinda hopeless considered just how titanic Milleniumon was (especially when this WarGreymon was already giant compared to other versions of WarGreymon). I don't care if the climax and victory was tacky, I enjoyed it and that's all that really matters.

Goddramon's first animated debut was really good and well done, Takeru and (especially) Hikari taking an "active" role in the battle was really cool. Just a buff dragon with a beard really throwing hands is what everybody wanted to see, and we got that!

I think the fact that there's more episodes after this is what kinda turns me off, because it feels less like the end of an arc and more like the end of a whole series.

Also, next episode: BURPMON????

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This can't be the end since Leomon hasn't died yet XD

Also I'm hoping to see Cresgarurumon & rest of childrens' megas + Omegamon Alter S....

Geode

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It also reminds me of the final battle with Leviathan from Appmon.

AppliFang

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Nice to see Magnadramon use Apcocalpyse in the anime...And Goldramon's appearance (used god flame had the flying sparks of light instead of a flamethrower though)

Wished they were the ones to fight Milleni...not Tai (again...)

Anyone else notice that in the Pink Sphere is the 02 kids first armor digiegg and then in the Yellow Sphere is their 2nd armor digiegg? Also thought the other kids were gonna go mega from the "light of hope" too lol xD

Brubarb

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Nice to see Magnadramon use Apcocalpyse in the anime...And Goldramon's appearance (used god flame had the flying sparks of light instead of a flamethrower though)

Wished they were the ones to fight Milleni...not Tai (again...)

Anyone else notice that in the Pink Sphere is the 02 kids first armor digiegg and then in the Yellow Sphere is their 2nd armor digiegg? Also thought the other kids were gonna go mega from the "light of hope" too lol xD
Where do you notice the armor digieggs??