Digimon Adventure: Episode 5- The Holy Digimon

Rohan

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Really good episode. Loved all the story setup and foreshadowing of the Megas. Also hyped by that cameo of Mimi/Palmon at the end.<3

I loved the world building and seeing WarGreymon and Hououmon get a little bit of love this early is kinda exciting! Does Agumon not remember becoming Omnimon? I was a little confused by what that exchange was implying.
The fact that Agumon can't remember turning into Omegamon and last episode seemed surprised by his rapid De-volution after the battle ended reinforces my belief that Omegamon diverting the missile cost them quite a bit. It will be interesting to see if Agumon and Gabumon still remember each other going forward. :unsure:

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure the mystery voice is calling them chosen children and not chosen ones like the subtitle says. Kind of annoying, but not anything major.
It was saying Chosen Children, yes. The subtitles are somewhat lacking in nuance, like always having Piyomon say she'll "fight," rather than "do her best."

I wonder if the ogremon will actually be an antagonist in this reboot or not? in the original he was forced to work for devimon and was more of an "anti-hero" than a villain, but here he doesn't seem to be being controlled and seems to function as a "general" for the troops controlled by soundbirdmon.
I'm not so sure he isn't being controlled. His speech patterns (which the subtitles have awkwardly tried to recreate with superfluous periods) match those of Leomon when he was controlled by the Black Gears in the original series.

One thing at least that I do like about these subtitles is that the mistakes seem like honest mistakes rather than the official subs we've gotten in the past that try to hoodwink people with dub terms.

Last edited:

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wonder if the ogremon will actually be an antagonist in this reboot or not? in the original he was forced to work for devimon and was more of an "anti-hero" than a villain, but here he doesn't seem to be being controlled and seems to function as a "general" for the troops controlled by soundbirdmon.
Ogremon wasn't forced (or controlled) to work for Devimon in the original. Unlike Leomon, Ogremon follow Devimon voluntarily.

Ogremon just have a change of heart regarding the digiestined in Dark Masters ac.

Firerockbird

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[QUOTE="Ogremon clearly seemed to work voluntarily for Devimon in the original though. The only thing he was complaining to Devimon about was having to work with leomon, and even if he was not exactly voluntarily absorbed by Devimon he was still pretty much elated to be part of Devimon when he acted as part of his body. So I don't think his initial outlook differs much between the two stories... Except the Ogremon here seems to be much less talkative.[/QUOTE]
I doubt it, reviewing the original scene and seeing how devimon forced leomon to be his lackey with a dark gear I interpret that the ogremon has cooperated in working for him so as not to become the "slave" of devimon, in addition, the original anime does not give any indication that ogremon had worked with devimon before, only that he knows the same (another thing that supports my theory is the fact that he was only an antagonist during the arch of the island arch, his appearance and way of acting in the arch of the dark masters makes me believe that he is only "gross and surly", but not entirely evil as a myotismon, so much so that he may even do "good" things sometimes, but if he is under a greater force to which he has no chance he would gladly accept to be someone's henchman, at least that's how I interpreted his acts in the first adventure)

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Really good episode. Loved all the story setup and foreshadowing of the Megas. Also hyped by that cameo of Mimi/Palmon at the end.<3

I loved the world building and seeing WarGreymon and Hououmon get a little bit of love this early is kinda exciting! Does Agumon not remember becoming Omnimon? I was a little confused by what that exchange was implying.
The fact that Agumon can't remember turning into Omegamon and last episode seemed surprised by his rapid De-volution after the battle ended reinforces my belief that Omegamon diverting the missile cost them quite a bit. It will be interesting to see if Agumon and Gabumon still remember each other going forward. :unsure:
Piyomon doesn't remember about the war either. So, I don't think the loss of memory about the war is related to Omegamon.

I think it is more likely the Digimon loss their memories when they reborn after the war.

Maybe Agumon and Gabumon know each other after they reborn.

Fenrys

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My theory on why agumon doesn’t remember turning into omegamon is that it was a special circumstance sort of thing, in that moment the omegamon from the war was reborn but because they bypassed ultimate and perfect it probably has something to do with that

Quinlan58

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Okay, a couple observations upon rewatch:
  • Agumon protected Taichi from the attacks while Sora protected Piyomon. Not that important, but nice touch.
  • The missing scene of the kids escaping is supremely annoying, though at least they did tell us Piyomon got them out. Would have been much better to see it.
  • This episode made the partner digimon look very overpowered, closer to how Tamers or V-Tamer handled this than Adventure. I like it, though I expect consistency from now on.
  • All this talk of balance made me think Homeostasis is going to be part of this once again.
  • Tentomon getting flashblacks of Koushiro was entirely unearned. At least the rest of their interactions were good and Tsundere!Koushiro was something I didn't know I needed.
  • Koushiro just chillin' inside Whamon once he realized he wasn't in immediate danger was... fine, actually? It felt weird, sure, but given Tentomon called it out, it was less "bad writing weird" and more "this kid is weird". It helped he was otherwise occupied exploring what was going on in Tokyo, and that he was clearly freaking out at the Tylomon before calming down after understanding the situation.
  • Also, Whamon wasn't an ally or anything, just a random 'mon that eats people for the lulz. Good.
  • Animation was much better than last episodes. Still with its mistakes, of course, but I never expected it to remain at episode 1 levels.
  • Those last sequences with Ogremon reporting to Devimon and Palmon's and Mimi's introduction might very well be my favorite moments of this series thus far, after the evolution in ep 1. The us of the OST was perfect, the silence for Palmon and Mimi was perfect, the lack of a shot with Mimi's face was great.
  • Also, Mimi is not with Jou and Yamato. Wonder if they met or if they just arrived separately.
  • Valdurmon with an statue the same size of the 3 Great Angels pleases me.
  • "Power beyond evolution"? I assume this series is going to end with Omegamon Merciful Mode, though if they're bringing that back then I'd prefer something like the Kizuna forms (but redesigned for Agumon at least). My best case scenario, Omegamon MM inspired by UltimateChaosmon, is not going to happen.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well wasn't Soundbirmon in middle of the web? I assumed Birdramon pierced and got out of it in process of destroying him... Since I haven't seen any signs of Soundbirmon afterwards besides the other one in Network got destroyed completely and the swarm who witnessed their own species' death and retreat away as all Coredramon retreat at same time or oddly time skipped(?). So this is what I saw.

Deathmon is the oldest digimon. He is sorta... the forgotten among other digimon who barely have appearances.

Ogremon's speech is odd but it is hard to judge if he is really working for Devimon or being "touched".

Chimera-gui

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
One interesting theory I read on youtube is that Barbamon will be the main villain, because his profile mentions Deathmon.
it would make sense, he's the only Demon Lord to not appear in the anime since Leviamon appeared in Fusion alongside Lilithmon.

Speaking of Xros Wars, I'm glad we got a Digimon from that era in this episode even if it's not Shademon as people thought it was going to be.

Rohan

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Speaking of Xros Wars, I'm glad we got a Digimon from that era in this episode even if it's not Shademon as people thought it was going to be.
Indeed! Glad to see it since outside of Shoutmon/Gumdramon, there doesn't seem to have been much love given to the other Xros Wars Digimon in other media until now. :(

Kureisan28

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Got a chance to get caught up with the show and so far it’s pretty good.

One thing I noticed in this episode is that there’s this particular sound effect around 14:54 when Soundbirdmon’s soundfinish waves hits Tylomons and the sound plays as they are in control.

That is the same sound effect as the Digivices activating the Digivolutions in the Saban English Dub. I don’t know if that was some coincidence by the Japanese sound team, but it caught my ears being familiar with it growing up as a sort of “wink” to the dub viewers, if intentional.

Deep Saver

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I know this will sound like nit-picking but it weirdly annoyed me that the green Coredramon were shown as good fliers. It doesn't fit their lore at all.

I actually enjoyed this episode a bit more than the previous ones since we are finally getting some backstory building and a bit more in the way of character interactions. This whole show is still just flat out BIZARRE to me though. The plot feels very... JRPG and the individual episodes have some really incomprehensible pacing choices. So while I thought this was a step in the right direction I'm still not really feeling it.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah... Green Coredramon could fly in the network if they want to. lol

Maybe they forgot?

Chimera-gui

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
To be fair the DRB only stated that Green Coredramon is not good at flying, not that it is incapable of flight altogether. It's like how Spyro only able to glide outside of the dedicated flight levels.

More likely this seems to be a quirk of the Network as an environment just Whamon and Tylomon are both clearly shown swimming in the air as though they were in a video game despite being subject to physics in past animated media.

Last edited:

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
To be honest, I was sad this Whamon was actually wild one not even saying a single word but doing his nature life. I was hoping Whamon'd give them more information while protecting them inside which was why he had to swallow them.

Tetsuya Suoh

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Unlike most people, I'm more disappointed that Birdramon is the only one without a true real time evolution sequence than the fact we don't have stock footage for here yet. I mean, yeah, Tentomon's wasn't as epic as Greymon's, but at least we saw his body physically change.
Seems like next week we'll finally be entering completely unknown territory. For the last two we could pretty much guess what was going to happen by the synopsis we got when the hiatus started.

Strontium

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I had the means to watch all the episodes so far on Hulu, so I caught up over the weekend. I wasn't too impressed, honestly. There were some things I liked, but it didn't really hook me. I will say the music is great, and I like the ED a lot, but otherwise... not something I'm dying to keep up with on a week-to-week basis.

SuperStarlite

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is probably a stupid question, but is this a known Digimon? I can't tell if it's supposed to be a recognizable Digimon and easily identified as a minor, but threatening lackey — or if it was implying it might actually be the big bad.

Deathmon has never really been featured that prominently, but they are one of the only other Demon Lord species digimon, so they could easily be a big deal.

Mon-Ohma

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Probably comes as no great suprise, that this was an episode I've long been looking forward too. : P

Though as I initially feared, they've fallen into the same trappings as Taichi and Agumon, in presenting both Koushiro and Tentomon as already having developed a close bond.
If the 'emotional moment' they were going for had been saved for later evolutions, it would been more meaningful. But placed this early, it just ends up looking rather silly and forced.

However there are at least some significant improvements over last episode. Birdramon get's a better showcase then she did in her debut. Whilst the basic info dump on the lore of the Digital World provides some much needed substance.
I also liked seeing Tentomon carry Koushiro around, I don't recall seeing that before...

Devimon looks cool as usual, but hopefully he'll get to do more then just stand around looking menacing. By the looks of it, the Soundbirdmon will function as the equivalant of his black gears in this reboot.

Also, if Agumon can't remember turning into Omegamon, does that also mean he's forgotten Garurumon as well?

DigiKing Tamer

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Saw the episode!

Though judging from people's reactions, this anime seems to be on the path of being So Okay, It's Average. Which often equates to forgettable, and I don't want that.

At least with Xros Hunters, it became the butt of some jokes.