Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 5, The Holy Digimon

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 4

Episode 5 airs Sunday, July 5th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, July 4th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, July 4th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, July 5th, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page- Episode link will be added when available
(US only) VRV Series Page- Episode link will be added when available
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page- Episode link will be added when available
(US only?) Hulu- Episode link will be added when available

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

Last edited:

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, we needed a lore dump episode, and there it is.

It clarifies a lot of things that we had guessed from context (the six older kids Digimon, Patamon and Tailmon, etc.)

Animation was fine, it was to the advantage of the episode that since it was a lore dump there were a lot of scenes of people standing and listening, or flashbacks with silhouettes.

A bit interesting that the continent is 'Cloud' Continent instead of Folder. A bit of a change based on computer technology changing over time I guess.

Agumon and Piyomon not remembering what happens adds an interesting wrinkle to Greymon and Garurumon knowing eachother. Memory remnants, or do they actually know each other otherwise?

Lots of good Tentomon and Koushiro material also, although less of a Koushiro focus than I had expected. (The play at giving him a tsundere scene was amusing though.)

Good episode, for a lore dump episode it interspliced bits well enough that it didn't feel overly slow and boring, although lore dumps tend to be taken as the least popular episodes in many shows, and it wouldn't shock me if that follows here also.

A few additional notes..
Hisao Egawa back as Ogremon is great.
AiM and Yuto Kazama I'm pretty sure had more lines as the dual 'Mysterious Voice' in this episode than they actually talked to eachother in all of Digimon Adventure...
Orgemon is still a junk way to translate Ogremon, but they've done it before, so likely part of some 'eh' style guide and something swapped it out.
Koushiro-han being subtitled as Koushiro-san grates in a more direct way, as it's an actual mistake.

ryuujinkurodou

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, we needed a lore dump episode, and there it is.

It clarifies a lot of things that we had guessed from context (the six older kids Digimon, Patamon and Tailmon, etc.)

Animation was fine, it was to the advantage of the episode that since it was a lore dump there were a lot of scenes of people standing and listening, or flashbacks with silhouettes.

A bit interesting that the continent is 'Cloud' Continent instead of Folder. A bit of a change based on computer technology changing over time I guess.

Agumon and Piyomon not remembering what happens adds an interesting wrinkle to Greymon and Garurumon knowing eachother. Memory remnants, or do they actually know each other otherwise?

Lots of good Tentomon and Koushiro material also, although less of a Koushiro focus than I had expected. (The play at giving him a tsundere scene was amusing though.)

Good episode, for a lore dump episode it interspliced bits well enough that it didn't feel overly slow and boring, although lore dumps tend to be taken as the least popular episodes in many shows, and it wouldn't shock me if that follows here also.

A few additional notes..
Hisao Egawa back as Ogremon is great.
AiM and Yuto Kazama I'm pretty sure had more lines as the dual 'Mysterious Voice' in this episode than they actually talked to eachother in all of Digimon Adventure...
Orgemon is still a junk way to translate Ogremon, but they've done it before, so likely part of some 'eh' style guide and something swapped it out.
Koushiro-han being subtitled as Koushiro-san grates in a more direct way, as it's an actual mistake.
Yeah, they changed 'Server Continent' to 'Cloud Continent', smart detail. I wonder that Snimon and Coelamon were controlled by SoundBirdmon or not in the previous episode?. Honestly, the previous episode was terrible but I was happy to see this episode do some improvement, can't wait to see the next episode

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wonder if that's really the case. But there was no proof. No glowing red eyes. Although Snimon lacked it lol but still.

Really too late to inform Taichi and others about this. RIP to Some poor Dokugumon.

This episode had average animation :/ Tylomon's misshaped heads and standing still and shaking so much when the controlled wild digimons attacked.

lol at Tentomon evolving is like watching a little boy with the adult hulk body.

icomeanon6

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Lore dump is lore dump, but I really liked this episode! Highlights for me include Koshiro being all "What we need in this situation is more information" after he just got swallowed by a giant whale, the Digimon being shaken by seeing their past selves at Ultimate level, and Birdramon and Kabuterimon having cool diegetic evolutions. (I can already hear the fanbase going into convulsions about Birdramon not having a stock evolution sequence yet, to which I say chill out, she probably will later. If I had to guess, it's taking them longer than usual to make them so they're pacing them out more. And besides, Birdramon's evolution this episode was a great example of how to do more with less.)

Koshiro's conversation at the end with Kabuterimon was really good. It reinforces that although Koshiro is very socially competent, he's still very guarded from an emotional standpoint.

"Koshiro-san" for "Koshiro-han" sure does feel weird, but I'm wondering how much of a mistake per se it actually is? As I understand it, "han" for "san" is part of a Kansai pronunciation divergence where "s" becomes "h," so would writing "Koshiro-han" be similar to writing "Bahston" and "lobstah?" Does anyone know how strictly the pronunciation shift extends to spelling?

My only real complaint: these labels in the corner for Digimon we've already seen are pretty dang annoying. At this point I'm just hoping they take them out on any US blu-ray if we ever get one.

Bring on Mimi's episode!

Tarama

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I like how we have Folder Continent in Adventure V-Tamer, Server Continent in Adventure, and Cloud Continent in Adventure:.

I enjoy everything in this episode except one: Piyomon-Birdramon evolution scene. I want to see Piyomon-Birdramon get the cutscene for evolution like Agumon-Greymon in the last two episodes, because it's not Piyomon's first time evolution anymore, it deserves love like Agumon. Well I think we have to wait for the full squad.

Osuka

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure the mystery voice is calling them chosen children and not chosen ones like the subtitle says. Kind of annoying, but not anything major.

ryuujinkurodou

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I like how we have Folder Continent in Adventure V-Tamer, Server Continent in Adventure, and Cloud Continent in Adventure:.

I enjoy everything in this episode except one: Piyomon-Birdramon evolution scene. I want to see Piyomon-Birdramon get the cutscene for evolution like Agumon-Greymon in the last two episodes, because it's not Piyomon's first time evolution anymore, it deserves love like Agumon. Well I think we have to wait for the full squad.
Yes, I love to see that kinda thing too. But I prefer to use small-quick evolution like in the opening. One evolution scene took almost 25-30 seconds, but yeah, they may show them in the future but not in every episode. Kinda wasting time. Or too bad that only Agumon and Gabumon that would have that epic evolution scene, I hope I was wrong

Sarabande__

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Tentomon has grown on me so much I never liked bug digimon but he has really changed my mind. Another great episode but I'm trying to figure out why the ending credits is all about Matt.

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Tentomon has grown on me so much I never liked bug digimon but he has really changed my mind. Another great episode but I'm trying to figure out why the ending credits is all about Matt.
I've also noticed that too. I reckon Tentomon and Izzy's friendship is one of the most consistent yet surprising relationships in Adventure. They have been quite underrated for me and looks like there will be more exploration of their relationship in this series. As for the ending I just think directors want to reveal bits on Matt since he doesn't appear much since the very beginning bth.

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well looks like i was right about the whole control thing.

This was an info dump, but one we needed. Was nice to see some familiar and new Digimon in there.

Not sure how i feel on Tsundare Koushiro. Tentomon's evolution was nice but disappointed that the first one didn't have the same pomp as Greymon's.

Sarabande__

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've also noticed that too. I reckon Tentomon and Izzy's friendship is one of the most consistent yet surprising relationships in Adventure. They have been quite underrated for me and looks like there will be more exploration of their relationship in this series. As for the ending I just think directors want to reveal bits on Matt since he doesn't appear much since the very beginning bth.
Yeah their friendship is something to be admired. I love how tentomon looks up to Izzy so much and he even said he admires Izzy. Yeah I guess your right Matt hasn't been in it much at all so far but when he does I wonder if they will change the ending.

Quinlan58

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Okay, that was much, much better than episode 4. I'll wait a bit for more in-depth thoughts, but in the meantime, that was an amazing way to introduce Mimi to the audience.

Yume

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They never spoke to each other, so the Gods created another Digital World just so that they were forced to. They still refused, so they were trapped in the same body, eternally speaking in unison... This is it. This is the big story behind Digimon Adventure: :D
It was so great to hear those voices again. You could almost interpret that Agumon and Piyomon were having a nostalgic feeling about hearing those particular voices.

Episode was great. That shot of Taichi holding the Digivice: in front of the stone tablet is wallpaper worthy.

My favorite thing this week was Birdramon. It had its chance to shine the week before, but this week it took charge and even displayed a "new" attack. I like the fights in this new series. Digimon don't spam their attacks. We've seen Greymon fight almost every episode and its not repetitive. The fights are more physical, I guess.

Can't wait for next week. I though Mimi would be with some other people, but it appears she is alone. Wonder if that's the case with the rest.

So, can we assume we're only seeing Takeru and Hikari join the gang when they reach the Cloud Continent?

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode was a good improvement on the last. The animation didn't look quite as bad, sometimes even pretty nice (but the use of canned animations was still annoying) and there was generally more to dissect.

Still, the last three episodes have been a mixed bag.
It seems for every part it executes well, every improvement it shows over the original Adventure, it reveals another flaw, another questionable choice.

For an episode showcasing Koushiro and Tentomon the two didn't really do that much.
They ended up expanding Koushiro's character from someone who can calmly analyze information in extreme situation to someone who can calmly analyze data in extreme situations that involve the possibility of immediate bodily harm. What a shock. What a twist.
Tentomon was again just there, and he's entertaining, sure but there wasn't much established about him.
As mentioned in my post about the previous episode, I would have preferred if this episode started off skipping back in time to show how Koushiro and Tentomon actually ended up meeting. Their reaction to that very first encounter would have provided a chance to flesh both of them out more. We know that Koushiro is good at adapting to new outlandish information but awkward at meeting new people. So how would he react to a piece of outlandish new information that at the same time has a personality?
All that is bypassed by just starting in the middle when it already seems like they are friends that have been around each other forever... it doesn't feel satisfying. I'm not opposed to Koushiro hitting it off with Tentomon in an unusually short time, I just want to see the actual point when that happened, even for just a short moment.

Moving on to the other main point of the episode, the big plot reveals at the ruins.
To be honest, for a sequence that took up half the episode we didn't really learn much. There were angels. There were demons. There were warriors. But what about them? How were the warriors associated with the angels? What did the forces of evil even do before "making their move"?
Yes we are absolutely early enough in the story that I'm not criticizing the existence of mysteries themselves, but it still feels like they wasted an epic magic light show to establish only very minimal information. The end result has some impact on the characters but it still sort of missed the point of actually well written lore, which is to make the world feel like an actual authentic place with its own rules and history as opposed to a world with just barely enough in it to make the plot happen.
The only "rule" of the world that has been revealed so far is that they are playing the "balance" card again which has all the chances end up as another metaphysical dumpster fire if the implications are not handled properly (Just like the homeostasis never elaborated on what an "acceptable" amount evil corrupting darkness was supposed to actually look like.)

I am a bit disappointed but I feel there is enough time to fix it. Keeping it light now is okay if they expand it later. The partners still don't actually have their memories back. If the plan is to have them gradually connect to their former selves, this would create room for them to have more flash backs into their past, showcase more of the workings of the world we're supposed to care about (like if it the society that built the city where the final battle took place was destroyed by that same war or if civilization declined after that in other ways, leaving only ruins).
Likewise Seraphimon and Ophanimon could hold other valuable information.
I want to know more about the world, more about the bigger picture. The original's worldbuilding always seemed rather bare-bones and ad-hoc and here there as still a chance that this series will match at least Frontier in terms of fleshing out its setting, as well as establishing the Digimon as actual characters instead of overly focusing on humans.

But no matter how all that ends up playing out there is at the very least no chance of the pacing being as bad as in the first cour of the original.
A survival story neutered into glorified camping trip where once an episode they'd find a weird location where a fight and evolution was to be had. Rinse and repeat until everyone reaches adult level. And then suddenly... omg Ogremon, omg Devimon, omg plot. Even with the second half being a bit more focused it was still incredibly grating how the plot seemed to just have hidden in a bush somewhere until everyone was conveniently ready when there was really no reason for it.
So it's great to see them packing in more plot together with introducing "new" evolutions this time.

Speaking of introductions, as long as we don't set off to Cloud continent we're probably not going to see Takeru in an active role. But where are they now? Are they still in the human world to add some personal drama to the impending catastrophe, or were they already spirited away to Cloud Continent?

But there's still one scene that jumped out negatively around the end: Taichi and Sora's magical escape from Ogremon's forces. One scene they are surrounded. In the next they are safe, having "somehow" escaped.
It felt rather anticlimactic and silly.
Just think about the sort of tense situation there were in previously:
They don't know where there enemies are, how many there are, and where they are coming from. Their enemies are in the air with a superior vantage point. They can't run and hide while their Digimon are evolved because A giant Orange Dinosaur and a giant burning bird broadcasts their location to anyone in the forest.
But they cannot evolve too soon while in enemy territory, but robs them of the speed necessary to get away from all the flying Coredramon and if they or the Dokugomon decide to swipe the forest they'd run the risk of being caught completely defenseless.
That alone has the potential for some high tension chases, quick thinking and close calls. It could even have served as a great cliffhanger.
And remember this is a show that tries to be at least reasonable about tactics with characters actively commenting of how they chances of getting through a certain situation actually are. And having established that, "Somehow escaped" is just not good enough.
At least some attempt at explanation would have been nice. Did Birdramon take to the skies to lose them in the clouds? Maybe one of Greymon's fireballs could have hit the Soundbirdmon, disrupting the enemy mind control?
It seems the writers wrote themselves into a corner and ended up rushing the end of that adventure in the ruins.

Last edited:

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I agree about the scene of Ogremon and Coredramon corps surrounding them... But I think maybe they stopped cornering them since the other Soundbirmon was destroyed in Network so they had to retreat and "resupply" Soundbirmon to get more new armies?

Sounds silly yeah... But it's pity it felt somewhat rushed and some digimon ended up looking... Deformed from rushed drawings.

Maybe Ogremon and all Coredramon were "touched". Not from Soundbirmon's sounds. That's why they didn't get freed even after both Soundbirmon were taken out. Just saying Devimon somehow ordered them to come back to report...?

Firerockbird

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wonder if the ogremon will actually be an antagonist in this reboot or not? in the original he was forced to work for devimon and was more of an "anti-hero" than a villain, but here he doesn't seem to be being controlled and seems to function as a "general" for the troops controlled by soundbirdmon.

jeffinitelyjeff

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is probably a stupid question, but is this a known Digimon? I can't tell if it's supposed to be a recognizable Digimon and easily identified as a minor, but threatening lackey — or if it was implying it might actually be the big bad.

Golden_Fate

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Really fun episode!

I loved the world building and seeing WarGreymon and Hououmon get a little bit of love this early is kinda exciting! Does Agumon not remember becoming (oops!) Omegamon? I was a little confused by what that exchange was implying.

When they seperated the Chosen Children's Digimon from the Holy Digimon, I briefly wondered if there was gonna be a second set of six kids with the holy Digimon. I'm still not entirely convinced we won't see Lopmon and Meicoomon, among others, but the feathered Digimon's encouragement to seek out specifically the warriors of Light and Hope makes it seem like there's only going to be two. I wonder if Jou and Mimi also witnessed the holographic flashback.

This series is feeling more and more like classic adventure and I find that very exciting. I love seeing Orgemon and Devimon, though I imagine (hope) there will be a last-minute twist with Devimon and he isn't quite what we're expecting like a new form or level instead of just growing giant.
I'm so excited to see Mimi next week.

I'm really hoping that evolution sequence isn't just reserved for Agumon (and Gabumon).......

Last edited:

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I agree about the scene of Ogremon and Coredramon corps surrounding them... But I think maybe they stopped cornering them since the other Soundbirmon was destroyed in Network so they had to retreat and "resupply" Soundbirmon to get more new armies?
That wouldn't make sense. The Soundbirdmon in the network wouldn't have helped them defeating Sora and Taichi anyway, so its defeat shouldn't change their situation at all.

Maybe Ogremon and all Coredramon were "touched". Not from Soundbirmon's sounds. That's why they didn't get freed even after both Soundbirmon were taken out. Just saying Devimon somehow ordered them to come back to report...?
The kids never defeated both Soundbirdmon, the one controlling the dokugumon was still flying around unharmed after they smashed the net.

I wonder if the ogremon will actually be an antagonist in this reboot or not? in the original he was forced to work for devimon and was more of an "anti-hero" than a villain, but here he doesn't seem to be being controlled and seems to function as a "general" for the troops controlled by soundbirdmon.
Ogremon clearly seemed to work voluntarily for Devimon in the original though. The only thing he was complaining to Devimon about was having to work with leomon, and even if he was not exactly voluntarily absorbed by Devimon he was still pretty much elated to be part of Devimon when he acted as part of his body. So I don't think his initial outlook differs much between the two stories... Except the Ogremon here seems to be much less talkative.

This is probably a stupid question, but is this a known Digimon? I can't tell if it's supposed to be a recognizable Digimon and easily identified as a minor, but threatening lackey — or if it was implying it might actually be the big bad.
It's Deathmon although we can't tell if it's the grey or black variant. It's hard to tell what his role will be since while he's an ultimate level Demon Lord he hasn't been portrayed as much of force of evil as the others...

I'm really hoping that evolution sequence isn't just reserved for Agumon (and Gabumon).......
Yeah, I was completely expecting a Piyomon evolution sequence and them reusing Agumon's instead felt a bit bland.