Digimon Adventure: Episode 49- The God of Evil Descends, Millenniumon

robiu013

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
At this point it would be most satisfying to end the series with Mimi just negotiating Milleniumon out of the battle.

On another note: re-scaling Digimon in this show was a mistake. Super-sized MetalGarurumon feels like an animation error floating behind Kabuterimon and Birdramon.

Best part of the episode were the Vademon pew-pewing to defend Milleniummon.
The fact that MetalGarurumon is giant is the only thing that makes him a little bit impressive.

If he had stayed small, he could be mistaken with the Perfects of other Digidestined.

I disagree. Personally, I liked how size did not always represent a Digimon's level in the early run of the franchise. WarGreymon & MetalGarurumon were originally intended to come straight from Agumon & Gabumon and were as such perfectly great to be of a lesser size than even their Champion counterparts. On a related note, I also dislike how the two now digivolve from their ultimate forms rather than their rookies, because it just makes little sense design-wise and the whole getting to the final stage takes 3 evolutions is kinda dumb, but I digress.

Anyway, the whole final form not being the biggest form in Digimon also goes way back. The original Vpets always had that one ultimate which was just tiny and cute (Mamemon, MetalMamemon, Giromon, Piximon, etc.) and even when Mega was introduced, Megas were in most cases never the biggest forms - Imperialdramon in 02 being an exception, while most partner Digimon megas were meant to be slightly above human size. I believe the anime's 5th season started messing with the re-scaling.

The reason I liked that, was because I saw it as referential to how technology was developing. The best computers we have are not the largest in size, but the one's, who succeed performance-wise and have an elegant design. Well, that, but also WarGreymon, Gallantmon, Beelzemon etc. are humanoid, they're not kaiju. Likewise I don't see the appeal of a giant kaiju wolf mega form of Gabumon, when a 2m wolf, which you can ride like a horse is basically perfect.
The appearance of a Digimon is supposed to tell you about its level.
Sometimes the design is enough, and sometimes we have cases like MetalGarurumon which seems to be the direct evolution of Garurumon.
Making MG a giant is a very good idea, it allows you to understand immediately what is his place in the hierarchy.

Regarding Wargreymon it may have been less necessary but it's still a good thing, the fact that it is stronger than MetalGreymon is again established directly just by the visual.

The only interest of the Warp-Evolution was to save episode time, but it is much more logical that the Mega Levels evolve from the Perfect Levels, moreover it’s the case in all the series which have followed Adventure 01.

What comes from V-Pets isn't necessarily a good thing, an animated series doesn't have to follow the same rules as an electronic toy.
And it is very often stupid that a Digimon shrinks as it evolves.
I am thinking in particular of SaberLeomon in season 1 who seemed almost weaker than Leomon when he was 2 levels above.
There are of course special cases like MarineAngemon, but these should remain exceptions.

Digimon may be Digital in nature, but they follow the rules of the evolution of species. And in nature, what is bigger is usually stronger.
Perfect and Ultimate Levels are only meant to exist for combat, so that Digimon in those levels look impressive just makes sense.
Besides Mugendramon is bigger than the Digimon which he inherited the elements, Megidramon is bigger than MegaloGrowlmon and SaintGalgomon is bigger than Rapidmon.
Beelzebumon and Sakuyamon may not be giants but even they remain taller than their previous stages.
Even Omegamon is huge compared to the lines of Greymon and Garurumon.

And if you want to know the interest of a gigantic Machine Wolf, well that helps him not to look weaker than the werewolf master in kung fu from which he evolves.

I'm already concerned for episode 50. They better not,i repeat they better fucking NOT have Milleniumon defeated by small fry like Wargreymon. And yeah they may have Goddramon and Holydramon who are comparable to the four Holy Beasts but even they were stated to not stand a chance against Milleniumon combined by Qinlongmon himself. If they don't get destroyed and Milleniumon doesn't wipe the floor with them like a lion with an ant i'm calling bullshit of the highest callibre.
Ryo inflicted a 4-0 to Milleniummon.

Patamon and Tailmon are naturally strong against Milleniummon, that they beat him makes perfect sense.

The power gap should be minimal, and Goddramon and Holydramon make up for it with their type advantage.

But I already said it on Youtube.

Gonna have to agree to disagree, tbh.

It's your opinion, if you think MetalGarurumon looks stronger, if it's bigger. I think it looks dumb. I don't think digivolution should be directly correlated with size, but I suppose we don't actually disagree on those terms anyway. Just on whether MetalGarurumon needs to be bigger or not. I also don't think MetalGarurumon looks like an Ultimate. Being heavily designed with a sh*t ton of armor used to be a mega thing. But perhaps it seems different to some in the current sea of over-designed freak Digimon like Hackmon and Zubamon.

On another note: Warp digivolution was not rookie to mega, because they wanted to cut time. After all they still re-used the evolution animations as much as possible, even after the introduction of warp evolution. Rather it was because they needed a slightly different gimmick to sell new toys. Rookie to mega felt different enough to not feel like buying Champion-to-Ultimate evolution toys all over again.

Imperial

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hmmm, that's disappointing. I've found myself really enjoying the last 10 episodes. And with how this episode was shaping out, I'm thinking we're in the Endgame now. I'll treat it like we're at the end to avoid disappointment and to leave myself open to be pleasantly surprised.

As far as this episode goes I really liked it. One of the most amusing parts was the intensifying of the OST as Hikari was making the corsage. Getting past the grief was on the same level as preventing Milleniumon's resurrection. And they seemed to succeed at one thing.

Also it felt like Milleniumon was doing Evangelion poses. There was one moment, when he was resurrecting and had the white palette where his arms was crossed and he resembled
Shinji's Mother when she disappeared in an early experiment.
And then later when he was resurrected, his arms were stretched out and it looked like
Eva 01 during End of Eva when the Eva series crucified it and his arms were outstretched.
And honestly I'm not surprised because I also felt that the
white body and introduction of Ordinemon in Digimon Tri looked very similar to Rei during the End of Eva.
Anyway I digged it.

That video game system looked like a fake switch. Had a dock and they could play off of the screen easily. I thought that was amusing.

I half expected Mimi to get up and fly to the impact site honestly. Still she's as cool as she's ever been. The main difference I register with her compared to her 01 appearance is she's more of a fighter here. Mostly everything else feels like an extension of the version of Mimi I thought I always saw anyway. But it's why her and Taichi have always been my favorite two humans in all of the Digimon mythos.

One last thing. When Milleniumon ummm concluded the episode I thought he was rewinding time. I thought he rewound the lasers that the Vademon were shooting. And so I thought the rewind is what brought back Taichi and WarGreymon. But I don't know, over time I just have come to accept that until the next episode, I really have no clue about that ending.

Darklabo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
At this point it would be most satisfying to end the series with Mimi just negotiating Milleniumon out of the battle.

On another note: re-scaling Digimon in this show was a mistake. Super-sized MetalGarurumon feels like an animation error floating behind Kabuterimon and Birdramon.

The fact that MetalGarurumon is giant is the only thing that makes him a little bit impressive.

If he had stayed small, he could be mistaken with the Perfects of other Digidestined.

I disagree. Personally, I liked how size did not always represent a Digimon's level in the early run of the franchise. WarGreymon & MetalGarurumon were originally intended to come straight from Agumon & Gabumon and were as such perfectly great to be of a lesser size than even their Champion counterparts. On a related note, I also dislike how the two now digivolve from their ultimate forms rather than their rookies, because it just makes little sense design-wise and the whole getting to the final stage takes 3 evolutions is kinda dumb, but I digress.

Anyway, the whole final form not being the biggest form in Digimon also goes way back. The original Vpets always had that one ultimate which was just tiny and cute (Mamemon, MetalMamemon, Giromon, Piximon, etc.) and even when Mega was introduced, Megas were in most cases never the biggest forms - Imperialdramon in 02 being an exception, while most partner Digimon megas were meant to be slightly above human size. I believe the anime's 5th season started messing with the re-scaling.

The reason I liked that, was because I saw it as referential to how technology was developing. The best computers we have are not the largest in size, but the one's, who succeed performance-wise and have an elegant design. Well, that, but also WarGreymon, Gallantmon, Beelzemon etc. are humanoid, they're not kaiju. Likewise I don't see the appeal of a giant kaiju wolf mega form of Gabumon, when a 2m wolf, which you can ride like a horse is basically perfect.
Sometimes the design is enough, and sometimes we have cases like MetalGarurumon which seems to be the direct evolution of Garurumon.
Making MG a giant is a very good idea, it allows you to understand immediately what is his place in the hierarchy.

Regarding Wargreymon it may have been less necessary but it's still a good thing, the fact that it is stronger than MetalGreymon is again established directly just by the visual.

The only interest of the Warp-Evolution was to save episode time, but it is much more logical that the Mega Levels evolve from the Perfect Levels, moreover it’s the case in all the series which have followed Adventure 01.

What comes from V-Pets isn't necessarily a good thing, an animated series doesn't have to follow the same rules as an electronic toy.
I am thinking in particular of SaberLeomon in season 1 who seemed almost weaker than Leomon when he was 2 levels above.
There are of course special cases like MarineAngemon, but these should remain exceptions.

Digimon may be Digital in nature, but they follow the rules of the evolution of species. And in nature, what is bigger is usually stronger.
Perfect and Ultimate Levels are only meant to exist for combat, so that Digimon in those levels look impressive just makes sense.
Besides Mugendramon is bigger than the Digimon which he inherited the elements, Megidramon is bigger than MegaloGrowlmon and SaintGalgomon is bigger than Rapidmon.
Beelzebumon and Sakuyamon may not be giants but even they remain taller than their previous stages.

And if you want to know the interest of a gigantic Machine Wolf, well that helps him not to look weaker than the werewolf master in kung fu from which he evolves.

I'm already concerned for episode 50. They better not,i repeat they better fucking NOT have Milleniumon defeated by small fry like Wargreymon. And yeah they may have Goddramon and Holydramon who are comparable to the four Holy Beasts but even they were stated to not stand a chance against Milleniumon combined by Qinlongmon himself. If they don't get destroyed and Milleniumon doesn't wipe the floor with them like a lion with an ant i'm calling bullshit of the highest callibre.

Patamon and Tailmon are naturally strong against Milleniummon, that they beat him makes perfect sense.

The power gap should be minimal, and Goddramon and Holydramon make up for it with their type advantage.

It's your opinion, if you think MetalGarurumon looks stronger, if it's bigger. I think it looks dumb. I don't think digivolution should be directly correlated with size, but I suppose we don't actually disagree on those terms anyway. Just on whether MetalGarurumon needs to be bigger or not. I also don't think MetalGarurumon looks like an Ultimate. Being heavily designed with a sh*t ton of armor used to be a mega thing. But perhaps it seems different to some in the current sea of over-designed freak Digimon like Hackmon and Zubamon.

On another note: Warp digivolution was not rookie to mega, because they wanted to cut time. After all they still re-used the evolution animations as much as possible, even after the introduction of warp evolution. Rather it was because they needed a slightly different gimmick to sell new toys. Rookie to mega felt different enough to not feel like buying Champion-to-Ultimate evolution toys all over again.
And I think MetalGarurumon looked a lot dumber when he was smaller than Garurumon.
Bigger = stronger is however an obvious rule which has always existed in the series, even in season 1 we had MetalGreymon, VenomVamdemon or Zudomon which were bigger than their sub-evolutions.
Wargreymon and MetalGarurumon seemed to be more the exception than the rule.
Exception which has been fixed.
Which makes sense, since even in the real world size is an indication of strength.

MetalGarurumon looks like a Perfect because he seems to have evolved directly from Garurumon and not from WereGarurumon.
No relation to the fact that he is over-designed.
The proof, CresGarurumon is less aggressive for the eyes than MetalGarurumon, yet he seems stronger.
But hey, I guess that at the time, next to Togemon, Mamemon and Digitamamon, EVERYTHING seemed over-designed.

You're teaching me something about Warp-Evolution.
And in a way it confirms what I thought, this is not an evolutionary method that is supposed to be relevant in terms of story, it’s just a gimmick.

robiu013

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

And I think MetalGarurumon looked a lot dumber when he was smaller than Garurumon.
Bigger = stronger is however an obvious rule which has always existed in the series, even in season 1 we had MetalGreymon, VenomVamdemon or Zudomon which were bigger than their sub-evolutions.
Wargreymon and MetalGarurumon seemed to be more the exception than the rule.
Exception which has been fixed.
Which makes sense, since even in the real world size is an indication of strength.

MetalGarurumon looks like a Perfect because he seems to have evolved directly from Garurumon and not from WereGarurumon.
No relation to the fact that he is over-designed.
The proof, CresGarurumon is less aggressive for the eyes than MetalGarurumon, yet he seems stronger.
But hey, I guess that at the time, next to Togemon, Mamemon and Digitamamon, EVERYTHING seemed over-designed.

You're teaching me something about Warp-Evolution.
And in a way it confirms what I thought, this is not an evolutionary method that is supposed to be relevant in terms of story, it’s just a gimmick.

Nah, you got it wrong. The gimmick is not in the evolution method, but in the play feature. The sequence of rookies digivolving to megas is not a mistake and very much intentional and perfectly backed up by story. WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon look the way they do, because they weren't intended to evolve directly from MetalGreymon & WereGarurumon, but because they were designed with Warp Digivolution in mind and are supposed to be direct evolutions of Agumon & Gabumon. This is why I prefer my Omnimon duo app. 2,5m in size. They're not boss monsters, they're pure condensed power. Of course I am not against Digimon going ultimate-to-mega -> Vikemon digivolving from Zudomon makes more sense, Plesiomon and MarineAngemon more logically come from warp evolution.

I do agree that a bunch if not most Digimon should digivolve into bigger creatures, sure. But in terms of MetalGarurumon considering the concept of warp evolution, which was the base of its design and the idea of it being a rideable mechanical wolf, I have to go with season 1 MetalGarurumon over this new Kaiju one. If you disagree, you do you.

Lord Bearmon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

robiu013

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Even in the Warp Evolution animation, Agumon evolved into Greymon/MetalGreymon first, then only comes WarGreymon.

I suppose so. The original warp evolutions must have blurred together with armor evolutions from 02 for me and I considered the champions and ultimates as only aesthetic presentations of the path the Digimon took.

Oh well, fair enough. However WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon still have an appearance based on their rookie counterparts with WarGreymon taking Agumon's lighter skin colour and green eyes and MetalGarurumon inheriting Gabumon's chest symbol and red eyes.

Akiruaz

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
In my opinion it was a great chapter, I loved the team interactions, the next chapter is going to be amazing.

Mon-Ohma

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
REJOICE!!

LOW AND BEHOLDETH! OUR LORD AND SAVIOUR! TAICHI YAGAMI!
DESCENDETH FORTH FROM THE HEAVENLY FLAMES TO DELIVER THUS HIS FRAIL AND MORTAL FOLLOWERS FROM THE MOUTH OF DESPAIR!

ILLUMINATED BY THE LIGHT THAT SHINETH FROM HIS ANAL PASSAGEWAY!

Admittedly it was a wee bit difficult for me to buy into this rare display of genuine emotion from the cast. Given that we just spent a good dozen or so episodes watching them piss around the Digital World beforehand, rather then giving the remotest impression they were actually trying their hardest to prevent Millenniummon's revival.
And what with the (unsurprising) ending cheapening all that anyway, it ultimately comes across more like a formality designed to pad out the runtime leading up to that moment. Before we inevitably get back to the mindless action against and equally mindless opponent.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So the reason they shot Cloud was because of that Eva-looking mess that was actually Chimeramon? So... Anyone else think it should have been Xeed instead or is that just me.