Digimon Adventure: Episode 49- The God of Evil Descends, Millenniumon

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 49, The God of Evil Descends, Millenniumon

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 48.

Episode 49 airs Sunday, May 23rd, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, May 22nd, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, May 22nd, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, May 23rd, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

• ep49preview05_may22_2021article.jpg
    ep49preview05_may22_2021article.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 10,464

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm pretty happy with that episode.

It had a nice mix of calm before the storm, building tension, and some mild 'well we can still try and stop it'.

The elements meshed together nicely in various ways. I especially like how we don't actually 'get' Chimairamon appearing, just the look of him in the raw materials that'll be used to force the creation of a new body. It made for a nice touch to use that bit that people know without having him actually show up and do stuff generically.

The Hikari stuff worked well, and felt a bit refreshing. Often in shows a character won't just sit around and cry because they are sad, as the show has other stuff to do. Leaving her out of that and having her just... there, really worked well for me. Along with Mimi being there to talk to her, and the quick flashbacks.

Giving a reason why those who stayed behind couldn't go looking for Taichi, down to explaining Komondomon was hurt, Gomamon wanting to still try anyways, etc. added to the tension and the idea that they felt like they couldn't do much minus sit there and prepare flowers, along with Tailmon not knowing what she should do.

Having the character digitized at the end was an interesting surprise that'll be interesting to see what they do with in the next episode.

That and the last minute emergence of WarGreymon gives a good feeling for the next battle, as the various setup bits were done in the last minute or so here, so I'm quite interested to see what they do. (Loved the usage of the bit from the opening.)

The setup here for the arc final all worked well, and the creation of Millenniumon, the appearance of WarGreymon, and the others getting vanished brought the energy at the end of the episode up super high for the episode next time.

RyummaSama

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode was a really nice build up for next week's.

I can't get over how WELL Mimi's character is done in this series, and its really nice to see her being to one to support someone else, rather than her being the one that needed to be supported (like in the 90s series).

The action was just average, which is fine, as it was a nice breather that focused more on character development for Mimi and Hikari.

WarGreymon showing up like he does in the OP really got me hype for next week!

Tarama

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Grace Cross Freezer!

I like the animation.

Amandil7

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is probably one of my favorite episodes of Adventure 2020 so far!

It just showcased a lot of raw emotion from Kari, you really felt her pain of losing Tai. I teared up when she pleaded with Komondomon.

Weaving an episode around this theme of loss served well for a pre-showdown episode and an entrance to Milleniummon.

Mimi really shined, her words were pure and were the perfect catalyst to give the Digidestined hope again! It just goes to show how well the show has treated her. Similarly Joe & Gomamon were great too in their moments.

Matt immediately taking charge reminded me of Tri. Gryphonmon was just there but it's good cuz the action did not override the emotional beats of this well crafted episode.

Milleniummon reviving finally into this form (RIP Vademon cult) and exuding power gave me chills only topped by the one epic final moment where Wargreymon appeared amidst the flames.

A+ from me for this episode!

Ghalheart

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I especially like how we don't actually 'get' Chimairamon appearing, just the look of him in the raw materials that'll be used to force the creation of a new body. It made for a nice touch to use that bit that people know without having him actually show up and do stuff generically.

Bonus points for the miasma-powered "soul" of Mugendramon (as seen from his very distinct noggin) flying in from the crack on Cloud Continent to envelop the skies above MoonMilleniumon's crystal, lending its dark power to usher this unspeakable evolution. It's a real nice tribute to the lore behind this particular Digimon, and I couldn't be happier.

Yeah, I'm really happy with this episode overall. Definitely a great way to set-up for the climactic battle with Milleniumon.

I can't wait for next week! :D

taz111

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wow Mimi, Mimi, Mimi - she truly is special in this series. I always loved Mimi's character, but they did her really amazing this time around. I loved her compassion towards Kari and how it helped motivate everyone.

Metalgarurumon's attack was nice!

Wowwwwww Milleniumon is Frick'n huge'gigan'normous!!!! Hahaha I wonder how huge Goddramon and Holydramon are going to be? haha

Damnnnnnnn!!!! Wargreymon entering like a boss!!!!!! gave me chills!!!!! The hype!!! Next episode seems to be animated beautifully. Seems to be the same team as the Dondevimon episode.

Eitaroutarouman

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So...the miasma became the Machinedramon head? So what does that make the one they fought last ep? Or is it a Machinedramon because it blew up next to the island?

Notus

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
When we got the episode summaries I thought they would use both Mugendramon and Griffomon's data to form Milleniumon, but making Griffomon an offshot of the data almagamation just to buy time was pretty great.

So...the miasma became the Machinedramon head? So what does that make the one they fought last ep? Or is it a Machinedramon because it blew up next to the island?
Maybe last episode's Mugendramon was a literal robot and just being piloted by (a fraction of?) Milleniumon's will? And when he blew up his spirit chanelled the miasma?

Ghalheart

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I'm interpreting it as "the soul of Machinedramon infusing the miasma."

It seems the Vademon cult had it planned for Machinedramon/Mugendramon to weaken the structure so that it could basically kamikaze itself and become the driving force of the miasma to empower Sephirothmon, using its collected DNA and the resulting black lightning to become a powerful body for Milleniumon to reincarnate through.

Considering Mugendramon was able to operate even after its head was severed to carry out this task in the previous episode, I guess its real source of power is located in its torso - the same torso that crashed into and cracked Cloud Continent severely enough to draw out the miasma into the Digital World below.

In other words, WarGreymon logically attacked the head to try to destroy Mugendramon in the last episode, but should've gone for the body instead. :D

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Honestly, this was a very great episode. The action kept some of the focus on the revival of Milleniummon while we were allowed to have an emotional moment with the other half of the cast, and it worked well. You can definitely get the feeling of Hikari's sadness at the potential loss and how the other characters were struggling with it as well, which made Mimi coming in with her strong words all the more satisfying when it picked everyone's spirits up. It also sets up for the next episode well with Milleniummon's revival, but also Wargreymon's arrival to the scene, so hopefully we get a great big clash next episode.

Lilimonblooms

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm very disappointed!
No angewomon, no holyangemon, no zudomon and no lillymon.
They could have used the opportunity to show everyone fighting even without taichi and creating new ways to deal with the situation.
The animation for yamato's battle should have been better.
It's clear it's all about taichi, thank god mimi was here.

Sparrow Hawk

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Whoa can't believe I actually got excited watching this episode.

Surprised Vademon cult and Milleniummon were actually inside that pond the whole time?! And... I didn't expect that crystal is so... GIGANTIC.

And poor Sephirotmon got sacrificed and turned into Chimeramon then absorbed by Milleniummon's Zeed ghosts to evolve into Milleniummon!
ZEUS THRIST MILLENIUMMON IS WAY GIGANTIC LOOK AT THAT FEET

Not only that... It freaking birthed Griffomon?! I thought it is just another infected one or Vademon deployed it but Chimeramon in Akira transformation in process freaking birthed Griffomon abnormally!

Whoa MetalGarurumon's attack is awesome!

Wait what what what? Did those chosen ones got... Deleted away in Apoclaymon's style?!

I will let this slide this part where Vademon shooting in lazy animation and the weird thing is, they didn't shoot at Garudamon, AlturKabuterimon and MetalGarurumon who directly attacked at Chimeramon and the giant crystal! Whatever...

Darklabo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
20 years after his first animated appearance, he's back.
Milleniummon, the villain behind so many fantasies and theories.

Once again, an episode that I really liked.
Tai won't be dead for long, but the start of the relationship between Mimi and Hikari was nonetheless touching, and confirms Mimi's role as MVP of the season.

Did Kimeramon randomly craft a Griffomon ?
It could be complicated if Milleniummon can just create Megas-Levels at will.

Wargreymon's appearance was phenomenal, eager to see how the kids fare against the Colossus who serves as their opponent.

Eitaroutarouman

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
20 years after his first animated appearance, he's back.
Milleniummon, the villain behind so many fantasies and theories.

Once again, an episode that I really liked.
Tai won't be dead for long, but the start of the relationship between Mimi and Hikari was nonetheless touching, and confirms Mimi's role as MVP of the season.

Did Kimeramon randomly craft a Griffomon ?
It could be complicated if Milleniummon can just create Megas-Levels at will.
Doubt it. It was probably put there because like Machinedramon and Kimeramon, Griffomon (and its namesake) are chimeras.

robiu013

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
At this point it would be most satisfying to end the series with Mimi just negotiating Milleniumon out of the battle.

On another note: re-scaling Digimon in this show was a mistake. Super-sized MetalGarurumon feels like an animation error floating behind Kabuterimon and Birdramon.

Best part of the episode were the Vademon pew-pewing to defend Milleniummon.

Koushirou Izumi

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Let's be honest, doesn't matter if you LOVE or HATE the series and I'm more towards the latter honestly. Even I can't deny how well this reboot is doing Mimi's character it is so freaking awesome and great to see this new version of Mimi who still has all the best qualities of the OG version that we grew to love but also somehow better? she really just became one of the few reasons I'm still watching this show 49 episodes later!! also her amazing characterization and development/moments really shows that this show is actually capable to giving us good characters which is why it hurts so much to see ones like Sora, Koshiro, and Taichi done so....blandly?

As for the actual episode this one was still one of the better ones especially the emotional moments with the group that stayed behind was the highlight for me. Yamato also had some good moments. Sora and Koshiro I guess they're fine they just continue to do nothing really I mean 2 Ultimates against those cult digiomns who are what champions? with star wars guns like surely they can knock some of them off it was so frustrating seeing them fail so miserably. I understand it was for the plot convenience but it was still painful to see. Excited for what's to come!

Shiningmon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What can I say, my theory on the episode divided into 2 parts, one on mourning and then on the fight, was annihilated as soon as the crystal emerged at the beginning of the episode, which means that we have them. 2 point at the same time (fight and mourning).

Kimeramon's incomplete appearance, even if it surprised me, was completely justified after reflection because, thinking about it well, data is missing: those of Skull Greymon and those of Airdramon therefore the form amalgamated with meaning.

That's why I love Mimi, this episode really put her forward and showed the difference between her original version and that of the reboot.

Wait what what what? Did those chosen ones got... Deleted away in Apoclaymon's style?!

In fact with the preview and if we base ourselves on the information we find on Milléniumon and its attacks, we understand that he launched Time Unlimited and that he trapped the group in a pocket dimension (by the way I believe even Yamato and Metal Garurumon got screwed)

Sora and Koshiro I guess they're fine they just continue to do nothing really I mean 2 Ultimates against those cult digiomns who are what champions? with star wars guns like surely they can knock some of them off it was so frustrating seeing them fail so miserably.

Vademon is a Kanzen-tai (Perfect Level) so it's normal that Garudamon and Atlur Kabuterimon struggled against a good twenty Vademon (and still happy that there was not one who evolved into Ebemon because there they would have been wrong .... Even if I would not have was against the return match Vademon / Atlur Kabuterimon who goes on to Ebemon / Herakle Kabuterimon)

Geode

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was hoping for Cresgarurumon to appear and Millenniumon is huge.

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A very heartfelt episode. Now that we're past the episodic episodes seemingly, they don't have to squeeze everything into a single episode and can really let things breath as was the case with Taichi's "death" in the climax of the last episode. You really felt the bond between these kids as they tried to come together during a dire situation. It was a bit weird to see MoonMillenniumon morphing into the regular Millenniumon but it was awesome to see him at last take the centre stage. Vademon on the other hand I struggled to take seriously with them shooting their ray guns like pew pew. Like straight up, did the other kids get deleted at the end there or what? That shocked me the most.

Next week though, Goddramon is coming and I am seriously hyped. "The End" it can't be right? :(