Digimon Adventure: Episode 45- Activate, MetalGarurumon

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 45, Activate, MetalGarurumon

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 44.

Episode 45 airs Sunday, April 25th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, April 24th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, April 24th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, April 25th, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So I actually really like this episode, minus 2 things, which I'll bring up later.

They didn't do a 'lot' with Machmon, but they gave enough info about his past and his character that made him interesting enough, if a bit stereotypical.

Gabumon being involved was nice enough, although it would have been nice if him enjoying running with Yamato was mentioned earlier.

The episode overall had lots of character, was fun, and I enjoyed it. Even the other characters had some fun bits. Jou and Gomamon as announcers (with a classic Digivice looking microphone), Tentomon imitating Koushiro and then going off to help him. The others in the Lilymon-ish cheerleading outfits (and Takeru against his will.) It all mostly worked.

Except 2 things...

1- Having MetalGarurumon appear in a random episode at this point feels weird, especially when there is stuff to get to.
2- MetalGarurumon himself seemed somewhat superfluous. He didn't even really do anything that cool. I imagined fancy animations, maybe us seeing him drifting around the course (they sort of did it in the sky?) The evo animation was great by and large, but MetalGarurumon himself didn't feel like the episode benefited from having him, to say nothing of being his introduction. (And the narration spot once again tells us what's happening.)

I actually think I might have enjoyed the episode more if MetalGarurumon wasn't here, just because he has such little part to play.

I did enjoy that evo scene so very very much though. Various parts of the episode worked really well, and despite some real flaws, I am looking forward to seeing it again on Blu-ray.

Machmon was played well by returning actor Noboyuki Hiyami. Feels like they chose him specifically because of BlackWarGreymon.

Eitaroutarouman

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was far better than WarGreymon's debut, which had the problem of feeling like a near copy of MetalGreymon's debut. I'm glad Machmon stated he allowed Parasimon into himself. I was worried they were going purely for the "he was possessed all along!" twist, which would've been boring. Also, did MetalGarurumon always have feet turbines?

Last edited:

Timkun55

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
While it does feel anticlimactic to introduce MetalGarurumon here in such a "low stakes" episode, I really like that the evolution was motivated by Friendship. Yes, they JUST MET Machmon, and we haven't really had Gabumon mention how much he enjoys running, but it was still a nice touch.
Also the Lilimon cheerleader outfits have to become real life merch, please and thank you 😂

robiu013

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So uhm, if a Machmon falls over... can it pick itself up again or is it just left there for death, if nobody comes to pick it up? Asking for a friend.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So it didn't turn out as Machmon forced-evolve by Parasimon due to Parasimon being very weak despite Ultimate level.

Loved Machmon and his appearance, everything about him!

Dobermon, Kiwimon, Fangmon, Bullmon, ShimaUnimon, Tankmon even Rhinomon were in this race eh? Mostly Adult/Armors.

Death race lol I love that certain movie

Tailmon sure knows a lot of "famous" spots...

Are those that Lilimon cheerleader costumes?

Genius plan to reveal heat detection using the laptop instead of... MetalGarurumon's detection system.

Machmon sure loves speed even do this for the sake of power to increase more speed by letting Parasimon to hack it. But at least he regretted it and he lost all friends... Tragic character. Yeah...

EDITED: More importantly... How did on earth Gabumon able to listen that far with just that Garurumon pelt?!

Yamato's Kamen rider kick...

Garurumon launched himself like Godzilla meme! Using Fox Fire to launch off to save Machmon!

What's up with all Parasimon leeching towards Machine type digimon only?!

Last edited:

Ricardolindo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think this episode was pretty good. Machmon was an interesting character. Having MetalGarurumon show up in a random episode was a twist.
Parasimon was rather easy to defeat. That's not very surprising as he needs to take over other Digimon's bodies.
As an aside, it was funny to see Takeru being forced to be a cheerleader alongsidd the girls.

yugiohgxbedst

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The story of the episode overall was pretty good, and the evolution sequence for Metalgarurumon was also very good. Though other than the evolution sequence, i think the animation and art was below par. Especially when you compare it to episode 30 with Wargreymon.

Lilimonblooms

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode was not good for me, there wasn't any tension and metalgarurumon deserved a darker storyline. The animation too was weak and not as good as wargreymon's.
I liked that the girls were wearing lilimon's outfit and I wish they made her appear encouraging him too.
Yamato's personality is so much better than in the original.

Tarama

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I like the episode but it feels weird to have MetalGarurumon here. It's just like the WarGreymon debut episode. Both of them aren't necessarily needed in those.

The evo animation is something else.

Yume

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Another great episode! Comedy and character interactions were on-point. I'm so happy with Adventure: now.

I don't really think evolution debuts need to happen on a plot-relevant episode. Most of them happened during travels from plot-point A to plot-point B, so... This evolution happened because of Yamato and Gabumon's strong feelings of friendship towards Machmon, who they wanted to save. That's plenty enough for me.

I also thought art and animation were good, except some scenes of Garurumon running, where he appeared to have broken legs.

Jou and Gomamon as announcers (with a classic Digivice looking microphone)
Wasn't that his actual Digivice, though? He was using it so the rest of the gang could hear the commentary.

Setsuna1611

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The episode is good but MetalGarurumon seem become huge than 1999 version... You can compare the size in episode 47 of 1999 version when MetalGarurumon appeared from forest to kill Puppetmon

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Damn, this was a good episode. I'm always partial to a good race episode (Redline being one of my all time favourite anime) and this was great despite only featuring a race between two Digimon. I really grew to like Machmon and was glad he survived. Yamato and Gabumon also shone thanks to their bromance and MetalGarurumon definitely felt earnt. The greatest moment had to be Takeru in the cheerleader outfit though, I bust a gut laughing at the poor kid.

Speaking of Takeru, next week looks good too what with HolyAngemon coming and potentially some backstory on Devimon too!?

RyummaSama

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think the episode was good enough, even if it's cliched (but that's what makes it likeable). The humor was fun and the evolution sequence, of course, was amazing, but I still prefer the 1999 "Warp Evolution" over the "Ultimate Evolution." (One of the things I hated about Tri. was having to sit through evolution sequences from Child all the way the Ultimate level)

Having the final battle be MetalGarurumon vs Parasimon was my least favorite part; it just wasn't a good match up to me. Maybe if the final battle was against an evolved Machmon it would've been more memorable.

BlankShell

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
No surprise Gabumon likes running with Yamato, since they were doing it offscreen for like... five episodes?? Was that a meta-joke?

I liked the episode, but it definitely felt more "classic Adventure" which this most recent run had been shying away from. Gabumon's bond with Yamato and Yamato's unwillingness to abandon a friend are all beats we've seen before, and while it worked here, there wasn't that extra oomph to solidify it as a classic in its own right. Still, the animation was tight, new Digimon, and solid plotline, so no real complaints here. Seeing the various racer-roles was probably my favorite part, although was cross-dressing poor TK really necessary? Looking forward to next week though...

Darklabo

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The episode was pretty good in itself, but it's not yet today that I will revise my judgment on MetalGarurumon.
A Digimon who in more than 20 years has only succeeded in defeating Puppetmon.
He can now add Parasimon to his hunting list (2 Digimon recognized to be particularly weak Megas, I'm not impressed).
This is not helped by the fact that the evolution seems to come out of nowhere given the filler side of the episode, and that the staging does not do him justice compared to Wargreymon and his gigantic "Gaia Force".

I liked that he became giant by evolving on the other hand, it would have seemed strange if he had kept the same size as in the original series, when Wargreymon become huge.

Parrotmon, Cherubimon, Mephismon, Argomon and now Parasimon.
Can we predict Murmuxmon and Ornismon for the rest of the series ?
Dorugoramon ?

Last edited:

educhavez

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yamato and Gabumon's strong feelings of friendship
Why does that matters in this series.
They have not explained anything, the "emblems" are still mere symbols for now.

I don't really think evolution debuts need to happen on a plot-relevant episode.
Well, that is what you wold expect from a relevant power up. That it appears at some important moment in the plot. Against some relevant enemy. Not in a filler episode vs a random enemy.

MetalGarurumon would had a better debut in ep. 38. Like WarGreymon would had a better debut in ep. 24 instead of ep. 30.

Last edited:

Amandil7

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not a very stellar debut for MetalGarurumon, but it still somewhat worked in it's own subverted expectations kinda way. I bought into the friendship angle.

I agree though, it did seem unnecessary but I just want this out of the way so we can get to Magna Angemon and the other kids' Megas.

AngelOmega

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Having Metal Garurumon against Parasimon is a wasted opportunity. Oh well. The episode was not bad but Parashimon even for a Mega/Ultimate is not threat. Episode 38 would have better for his debut.

The evolution though is gorgeous.

Atbara

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Honestly, Metalgarurumon was better off being introduced against Mephismon