Digimon Adventure: Episode 44- Hikari and the Moving Forest

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 44, Hikari and the Moving Forest

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 43.

Episode 44 airs Sunday, April 18th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, April 17th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, April 17th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, April 18th, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Interesting how they adapted Petaldramon into a gigantic legendary Digimon, similar in vein to ElDoradimon. Not to mention, it's a benevolent "god of life and nature" in a long-term conflict against a being of decay and death.

I like that that it basically became a giant kaiju battle in the end. The juxtaposition between the two was nicely emphasized, between the sprouting green leaves from Petaldramon and the shriveling desiccation from Entmon.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It was overall a kind of nothing episode, even if it was, overall, an enjoyable one.

Petaldramon's role worked well, and they did the 'mythic beast helps the kid' type setup decently enough, even without him speaking or having much in the way of emoting. Palmon knowing a 'legendary' plant monster (and also being scared of Entmon's bugs) was a nice little touch.

Hikari showing caring and personality was nice, although it didn't feel like it was quite enough, as there was no background bits for her given minus that she cares.

The large scale battles were slow, and not shown much of 'overall', although it felt like they worked alright.

I liked Angewomon powering up Petaldramon, but it not saving him. It powered him up letting him do what he had to do that, and he was already to far gone by that point.

It also looks like Muchomon was missing a line, or they decided it worked better and wrote it out, but left in the animation, as it really felt like they were saying something there.

Particularly amusing was Jou carrying Gomamon so they could go at speed, and then later Gomamon was just hopping along very quickly. And hey look, Pegasmon is still showing up.

I actually do like the episode, it had the right emotions, etc., but it just felt sort of... like it had a few pieces missing.

And Muchomon was a prior Digimon actor popping up. It was Ryou Hirohashi, Watson from Appmon.

Eitaroutarouman

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My only real problem was the ending felt a little too similar to episode 12's. I think it'd be improved by not having Petaldramon and Entmon turned into trees at the end.

Notus

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was half expecting Petaldramon and Entmon jogressing at the end, forming a "cycle of life and death" nature guardian. Ceresmon, probably? Otherwise I agree it was a pretty filler episode, but with nice visuals for Angewomon's Saint Air.

RyummaSama

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I like the idea of saving Angemon and Angewomon (and the other perfect levels, at that) for only desperate measures. This is Angewomon's second appearance, as Tailmon can usually hold her own in most battles, and Takeru and Patamon opt for using Pegasmon (maybe its more combat-oriented, and this Angemon is more support oriented?).

I also think this is the first really Hikari-focused episode, for when it comes to characterization, as the other ones more focused on Tailmon.

Was a major fan of the Kaiju battle at the end, even if it was a bit slow paced. And very excited for next week's episode~

Tarama

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Kaiju battle. I love the result of the battle.

Palmon being emotionally attached by Petaldramon and the forest makes me love her more.

Lilimonblooms

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I felt like the ending was inspired from mimi's episode 12. I feel that lilimon would have been a better fit for this episode considering all the flowers.
What a sad and nice episode

Last edited:

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
GIANT KAJIU BATTLE! With some awesome animation and few terrible animations lol

Wow Petaldramon is so giant! I wonder if Petaldramon was the responsible for creating new forest which Tailmon cannot remember the path to lead there in previous ep?

It totally reminded me of a certain movie... Something about the forest animal I cannot remember the title.

Entmon bugs didn't get the name still?

Wow Petaldramon may be the evil legendary spirit warrior but surprisingly he have the power to bring the life into the Nature.

Palmon is so glad to meet that legendary digimon huh? Yet Gomamon didn't react to Daipenmon... I wonder why?

Ohh GIANT KAJIU BATTLE LET THEM FIGHT, ANGEWOMON IS RIGHT!

Entomon and Petaldramon were damaging to each others by attacking with the life of nature and the decaying power...
It's pretty cool they are eternal enemies to each others like certain rivals in some official profiles mentioned.

Oh Petaldramon died in similar deaths like Andromon...At least he used up the power to blow the life into the nature to give everybody new home. Even Palmon cried for his death.

I totally favorited this episode! Glad this episode actually didn't focus on the whole chosen childrens for once not even Hikari but Angewomon only supported Petaldramon and let them fight in Godzilla style.

I love it how they made some Legendary Spirit warriors very active in managing the digital world with their "Legendary" powers like Daipenmon is actively helping the most population of Marine types who said to evolved from the land not the "true" marine digimons whose is full of cruel sea surely didn't welcome them in the sea terrority. Petaldramon was actively battling off Entomon and those unknown bugs for damaging the forest and served as their home and food supply it's like... Ceresmon basically. Not sure about Velgrmon's purpose oh well he was probably berserk from being hit of that black lightnings. Evil Legendary Warriors eh? At least they are true heroes. (Still unsure about Velgrmon... although) My wild guess Velgrmon was there because Lowemon/KaiserLeomon was infected and turned into Velgrmon but according to Leomon, he said he is legendary, too so this theory ended up got destroyed. Jeez what was Veglrmon doing I wonder?

RIP Petaldramon unlike there were other giant digimons died and their remains were too huge to fade away, Petaldramon was probably... Full of living forest to leave behind simply seeds. Yeah to spread seeds widely to bless their new homes.

Lord Bearmon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Kinda disappointed there wasn't a Nefertimon. In the end it's only a Hikari's filler episode, I thought we were done with that.
Seeing how Petaldramon was fighting head to head with Entmon makes me hate the idea of Beast spirit as Adult instead of Perfect level even more.

Youkomon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I bet there are many people who are disappointed that Tailmon did not get an armor evolution in this one. It would have been cool to see one of the other ones they have not used for her in any anime. Personally I would love to see her evolve into Lynxmon.

Ricardolindo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think this episode was pretty good. It was a more serious episode than the previous ones. It was nice to see a fight between two Digimon with the Digidestined only playing a minor role. It was dramatic to see Petaldramon sacrificing himself to defeat Entmon and them becoming a forest.

AngelOmega

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
While I liked the theme of the episide and Angewomon appearance in the end it felt like the most filler like episodes the series had. Disappointed...

Amandil7

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I liked the animation in this ep, it was pretty fluid! It was tonally very different to last ep.

My fav scene was Angewomon saying "Let there be Light!" and using Saint Air! Muchomon was a cute addition.

However, I did think this episode did not add much in terms of expanding Hikari and in that aspect it fell short so overall it did not achieve much.

Can't wait for this prolonged spell of fillers to be over!

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Damn, this episode was giving me major Xenoblade vibes with the whole people living on a kaiju that ends up being a statue. I did not realise that Entmon was meant to be that big so it didn't immediately click in my mind that the enemy this week was him. Petaldramon was one of my favourite of the Hybrids so to see him get a focus episode was cool and I felt for him at the end despite him not having a single line of dialogue. I said it last time Hikari got a episode, but I really do like it when she emotes like a normal child.

Next episode though, we finally get another Mega and I'm hyped. :)

TheImpster

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I like the idea of the episode... But the execution to me was absolutely awful. Especially the part where Entmon creates a barrier to keep the kids outside and the kids try to break through... Using fucking champion forms. Especially considering that Kari and Gatomon are trapped in there. They could all easily evolve to ultimate at any given time! Surely six ultimates would be able to break a barrier set up by ONE ultimate! Hell, they can even use a fire based mega Wargreymon would fucking DECIMATE Entmon! But they never even consider it! I hate it when that happens! Hell, last week was a joke episode and there they had better ways to go around those issues!

Notus

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wow Petaldramon may be the evil legendary spirit warrior but surprisingly he have the power to bring the life into the Nature.
Petaldramon was only evil in frontier thanks to Cherubimon's influence. Considering the Warrior Ten are portrayed as heroic, it's pretty natural the hybrids are too.

Not sure about Velgrmon's purpose oh well he was probably berserk from being hit of that black lightnings.
I'm pretty sure Velgrmon's appears before the black lightnings. Considering he's a corrupted (read: evil) form of darkness, he being an underling of the bad guys is undertandable.

I did not realise that Entmon was meant to be that big so it didn't immediately click in my mind that the enemy this week was him.
I don't know about that being his intended size. This episode is the first time Petaldramon was THIS huge and WarGreymon in this series is also bigger than anywhere else, so I don't think this will be a good reference for the future.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah but I think Velgrmon was way more mysterious. Why corrupted form rather than Lowemon/KaiserLeomon? Which side he joined on?: "Vademon cult member" or being the "servant" of Devimon and others? Aerial transportation Or joined for just the sake of being the "dark" force? Leomon said few things about him made it sounded like it's Velgrmon is pretty much separated off from Lowemon/KaiserLeomon...? Sure he sounded like that to me. And that Calamaramon was obviously the "Vademon Cult member" because she was sent to the specific location outside of the digital world to affect "the incidents" to manipulate Algomon swarms and given one new ability to hide it completely.

Hmm only one didn't show up there yet is Grottomon?

Deko-kun

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My opinion is this should have been a Mimi episode.