Digimon Adventure: Episode 43- Clash, the King of Digimon

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 43, Clash, the King of Digimon

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 42.

Episode 43 airs Sunday, April 11th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, April 10th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, April 10th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, April 11th, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What a fun and great episode.

Volcano Ota as Volcamon and Yasunori Masutani as Etemon stole the show, which was kind of expected.

Both characters came off as stupid, fun, and weird, and worked supremely well.

Having it be sort of a 'mini' Mimi episode fit well enough (and continued the theme that Volcano Ota has a part to play in major Mimi episodes.)

Having the music screw up evolutions, attacks, etc. was a fun way to have characters quirks. Gabumon 'vanishing', Patamon floating around, Tentmon sort of acting like a mock bancho/yakuza type character arguing with himself. It worked well.

The DIM Card has already been of use, showing off a map and images that they can use. Although you have to wonder if the Digivices shining at the Dim Card is supposed to suggest something else or not.

The music oddity causing Palmon to become Ponchomon instead of Togemon worked well, and felt like it was framed better than BlitzGreymon was as far as variant evolutions go, which was helped along by them having maracas and Mimi's general personality.

Such a fun happy episode.

I don't really expect to see Volcamon or Etemon again in any sizeable way, but I really wouldn't mind seeing more of them.

Brubarb

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode was the strangest thing I've ever seen. LOL

Eitaroutarouman

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Why is Mimi the only character incapable of having a bad episode in this show?

with_out_will

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
LOL at the random antics of the partner digimon. I also did not expect them to design Ponchomon with a mouth that looked like Tokomon XD

taz111

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode was great! Mimi continues to have really strong episodes. She's such a fun character in this. The animation was good and consistent. Very humorous, wild and over the top episode haha

What a fun and great episode.

Volcano Ota as Volcamon and Yasunori Masutani as Etemon stole the show, which was kind of expected.

Both characters came off as stupid, fun, and weird, and worked supremely well.

Having it be sort of a 'mini' Mimi episode fit well enough (and continued the theme that Volcano Ota has a part to play in major Mimi episodes.)

Having the music screw up evolutions, attacks, etc. was a fun way to have characters quirks. Gabumon 'vanishing', Patamon floating around, Tentmon sort of acting like a mock bancho/yakuza type character arguing with himself. It worked well.

The DIM Card has already been of use, showing off a map and images that they can use. Although you have to wonder if the Digivices shining at the Dim Card is supposed to suggest something else or not.

The music oddity causing Palmon to become Ponchomon instead of Togemon worked well, and felt like it was framed better than BlitzGreymon was as far as variant evolutions go, which was helped along by them having maracas and Mimi's general personality.

Such a fun happy episode.

I don't really expect to see Volcamon or Etemon again in any sizeable way, but I really wouldn't mind seeing more of them.
I think Palmon became Poncho not because of the music, but because of Patamon. Patamon was in her bud during her evolution before being spat out, and I believe somehow the power of hope helped caused the change by having the shaker infuse in Palmon as well. Atleast thats what I got from that. Also, isn't Ponchomon an Armor form with Patamon?

Lastly, I would def love to see Etemon and Volcamon come back and even help the kids fight.

Brubarb

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think Palmon became Poncho not because of the music, but because of Patamon. Patamon was in her bud during her evolution before being spat out, and I believe somehow the power of hope helped caused the change by having the shaker infuse in Palmon as well. Atleast thats what I got from that. Also, isn't Ponchomon an Armor form with Patamon?

Lastly, I would def love to see Etemon and Volcamon come back and even help the kids fight.
In the Digimon Wiki, Poncho is an armour evolution of Patamon + Digiegg of Sincerity. I bet it was the data changing music + Patamon being in the bud that cause this!

Amandil7

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode was completely loco! I loved Ponchomon, what a surprise! I wonder if this will make way for another alternate evo like BanchoLillymon.

Etemon and Volcamon's back and forth was hilarious and so were all the shenanigans, especially Gatomon chasing a cat and Gabumon disappearing.

Wacky fun describes it best!

Jmac28211

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I absolutely loved this episode. I especially loved all of the details put into the partner’s actions, even when they were in the background. Gabumon disrobing was fantastic, and I really do wonder if they’re setting Patamon up to be an “ancient Digimon” related to the Digimentals as well.

Etemon and Volcamon are the “giant hams”this series needed. After murdering most things on the previous continent, at least they’re making some allies now (once again, I wonder if that relates in any way to the number of Voice Actors available during the pandemic). I also love that—despite both of them giving lengthy explanations of their backstories—I don’t believe either ever specifically stated what the King of Digimon was... (other than strong, respected).

Ponchomon is horrifying, but it seems like the perfect boxing upgrade to Togemon as well.
I really enjoyed this episode, and I’ve really enjoyed a ton of the recent episodes as well. However, I’ll mention the same thing that will be echoed in this thread (and it’s been echoed in previous threads): they’re out of place.

Now I wish the Chosen had gotten an “armor evolution arc” after their perfects (they could be used as “counterparts” to their perfect evolutions in that they serve different roles).

Hopes and wishes for other armors (and I’ll put more of this in the theories thread):

Taichi and Yamato don’t get them. They got their upgrades instead.

Mimi: Ponchomon (Physical attacks while Lilymon is “Magic”/Special/Ranged)
Jyou: Mantaraymon (Flight and hax vs Zudomon’s brute force)
Sora: Pipismon (Hax and Agility vs Garudamon’s lack of those)
Koushiro: Mothmon (it’s another Hope e
TK: Pegasusmon
Kari: Nefertimon

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
LOL at the random antics of the partner digimon. I also did not expect them to design Ponchomon with a mouth that looked like Tokomon XD
Isn't the first time he's had teeth like that actually

Image Thumbnail

Lilimonblooms

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
In some wiki they are saying ponchomon is ultimate, how can he be champion and defeat 2 ultimates?
Personally I'm disappointed!!
I like the episode but I wanted lilimon to fight not ponchomon. But now she got an alternate digivolution so it's fine.

Last edited:

Jmac28211

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Armors are armors 🤷.

Sometimes they’re underpowered adults, other times they’re perfects, and sometimes they’re Magnamon. For a recent example, the Vmon DiM has armorsat three levels.

Additionally, Poncho didn’t defeat them with strength . It was agility and using their foe’s strength against them.

They’re groovin

Lilimonblooms

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
But he dominated them, it's clear he wasn't struggling a lot.
A defeat is still a defeat

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
In some wiki they are saying ponchomon is ultimate, how can he be champion and defeat 2 ultimates?
Personally I'm disappointed!!
I like the episode but I wanted lilimon to fight not ponchomon. But now she got an alternate digivolution so it's fine.
Armor was Ultimate in the DS games. It's usually Champion though

i'd say Ponchomon is one of the more powerful Armors and is prob considered Ultimate power, whilst Pegasusmon is Champion power, as Ponchomon's profile states that it can also be an evolution of Togemon. (So Palmon skipped Togemon to become Ponchomon like when she skips Togemon to become Lillymon)

Tarama

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

In the Digimon Wiki, Poncho is an armour evolution of Patamon + Digiegg of Sincerity. I bet it was the data changing music + Patamon being in the bud that cause this!
Yes, right. Ponchomon is an armor evolution of Patamon. But It can also be a death evolution of Togemon.
And now in this episode, we got Ponchomon from Palmon directly.
I think Patamon could be a little trivia there but I believe this episode, again, want to tell us that Digimon evolution system is unique and unspecified.

Lilimonblooms

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yes I get what you said Muur, and definitely ponchomon seems to be very strong.
I wonder if we will get bancholillymon but I dont think there is enough time.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Tentomon loves treasure hunt, eh?

I wonder what is that mystery USB for?

lol at Gazimon groups wearing Etemon costumes.

Wow Etemon and Volcamon's loud noises even made all digimon partners go insane! Their attack techniques went out of control is something I didn't expect!

Wow is this first time I have seen Birdramon... WALK AROUND?!! She looked so... SILLY

Etemon made Giga Destroyer missile blushed?! THAT MEANS THOSE MISSILES ARE TOTALLY LIVING THINGS

WAIT WAIT WHAT WHAT? Ponchomon?! That one from Patamon with Digi-egg of Purity?! Even it's just Armor level, it totally trashed both Perfects with just her dance...

Seriously where did Gabumon go?

This episode is sure surprised me in many ways! Instant favorite! But weird Ponchomon is the huge WTF

Chudix

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode was very puny, but Palmon's new evolution was very cool, funny and unexpected. I hope that Gabumon, Piyomon, Gomamon and Tentomon will get side evolutions soon (I'm cheering for Plesiomon). Agumon does not needs new evolutions, he hve 3 ultimates right now.

robiu013

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Honestly, these fillers are kinda the main appeal of this show for me.

Again, say what you will about Mimi, but in this reboot she is easily the most interesting Digidestined. Unfortunately none of them has much of an interesting arc going, but Mimi always just does something quirky that puts her ahead of the others.

Cool to see Palmon also get an armor digivolution now. Pretty sure the writers intentionally wrote in the joke about Palmon swallowing Patamon prior to it to give the fans food for thought, as Ponchomon is originally a Patamon armor form achieved through the DigiEgg of Purity. I almost thought they were gonna pass off Ponchomon as a fusion between Palmon and Patamon, but then Patamon was released from Palmon's flytrap.

Also loved the Gabumon disappearing recurring joke. Great material.

Lord Bearmon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
HA it was Ponchomon all along! I was so happy when he popped out instead of Togemon.

Etemon and Volcamon singing and rapping was very fun. I wonder why the Gazimon and Nanimon wasn't affected at all.

Kinda disappointed we didn't get to see naked Gabumon XD