Digimon Adventure: Episode 42- King of Inventors, Gerbemon

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 42, King of Inventors, Gerbemon

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 41.

Episode 42 airs Sunday, April 4th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, April 3rd, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, April 3rd, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, April 4th, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That was a good episode.

Interesting to see Garbamon used that way, it worked well, and actually felt a bit unexpected., especially having an actual kinship with Koushiro.

The episode also had a nice touch in clarifying some details that people seemed confused by that the show had mostly dealt with in smaller ways.

The character bits in the episode mostly revolved around Koushiro and Garbamon himself, which felt like it was constructed mostly well, with some good humor, and also hinting further at background elements for Koushiro (the sad bits in Garbamon's background seemed to especially add a hint for Koushiro.)

Having Chuumon evolve due to Koushiro at the end was a neat small touch, as was a Dim Card showing up, being pocketed for later, without much else being said about it.

Interestingly, we're effectively in yet another separated gang arc, but it's simply constructed better than a few prior attempts.

Raremon was an alright villain, mostly a being that wandered around eating, and the new RareRaremon was an interesting design, even if the name seems a bit goofy.

The episode also felt like it was put together to be a bit breezy, which worked well.

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wasn't expecting RareRaremon to have such a cool design. I was expecting it to lean more towards the "silly" aesthetic that is common among "trash" Digimon, but the way its "face" is a faceless mask with a singular main eye is very intimidating; at the same time, it still retains Raremon's large mouth in a clever and non-obstructive way.

Brubarb

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really enjoyed this episode, and appreciated how they featured Koushiro without being overshadowed by Taichi!

Now that each character has gotten their own focused episode, I think I am ready to get back to the plot!

Eitaroutarouman

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Patamon became Pegasusmon through TK's hope and Chuumon became Searchmon through Izzy's knowledge. Do these children just radiate Crest energy? I'd actually love it if they did because that'd be a great way of explaining how the Armor Digi-Eggs came to be (assuming they ever get mentioned) since I'm not sure 02 ever did.

Thekey0123

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm a little worried about the pacing of the rest of the show considering they still haven't properly had most of the kids digimon evolve to their final forms yet, But bessides that the episode wasn't half bad. The foreshadowing to Koshiro's backstory was interesting, and I enjoyed the friendship between Koshiro, Gerbemon, and Tyumon, but I feel like Gerbemon looked a little too happy. When Raremon First appeared I thought Gerbemon was going to betray the kids, the grin on his face seriously seemed sinister to me, but that's just a minor gripe

e105zeta

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Patamon became Pegasusmon through TK's hope and Chuumon became Searchmon through Izzy's knowledge. Do these children just radiate Crest energy? I'd actually love it if they did because that'd be a great way of explaining how the Armor Digi-Eggs came to be (assuming they ever get mentioned) since I'm not sure 02 ever did.
They didn’t in the anime but the tie in games basically stated they were made from the bodies of dead Ultimates, I recall (when a WarGreymon dies it can become a Courage Digimental) or something like that.

I bet Pulsemonis on the way.

Tarama

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
RareRaremon is good. Tyumon becoming Searchmon is somewhat unexpected but I like it.

The Dim Card. Will we see it being useful next time?
Nice episode after all. Keep working hard, Garbagemon!

Brubarb

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm a little worried about the pacing of the rest of the show considering they still haven't properly had most of the kids digimon evolve to their final forms yet,
There is still 24 episodes, so I feel like a good amount can happen in that time. If they move back to the plot soon, it could be done well! Fingers crossed.

Lord Bearmon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Kinda expected to not have HerakleKabuterimon, but RareRaremon was way more awesome than I thought it would!
Chuumon > Searchmon was so random, like why? Targetmon would've been a better evolution.

Next episode looks like yet another Mimi-focused filler episode. Seems like each children is going to get another filler episode and that's super lame.

Amandil7

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Rare Raremon has a really cool design! The Dim card in there was interesting and the armor evolution at the end was a nice addition.

I like that Izzy was the main focus and not Tai, Garbagemon also had a great role in the ep.

Overall a nice episode, but still waiting on Megas...

RyummaSama

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Really good episode, and a lot of good focus on Koushiro. My only gripe is I wish episodes like this had shown up sooner rather than later. RareRaremon was really cool and it's design meshed really well, the "Mecha Hedorah" aesthetic really fits in with classic Digimon designs.

Tyumon making robotic whirs and clicks was an odd but charming choice, and it's evolution really fits into to the OG Digimon lore of Digimon not having a set evolution path, and rather evolve base on various stimuli, which is something that gets ignored a lot for most media. Searchmon mechanical/inorganic (as most of the other mons in the garbage dump are) and a insect bearing the symbol of Knowledge (showing Koushiro's influence on Tyumon.)

robiu013

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Honestly, I can't even complain. This is more like what I expected from the get-go of Adventure 2020, but it took them over half the show's episodes to get here.

Anyway, the Garbagemon plot was pretty good. My only gripe is that it once again feels like this doesn't impact the trajectory of the show at all. You could probably tie-in Garbagemon as a recurring character, who occasionally pops up to help Izzy figure out some plans or understand the digital world more. But I assume we won't be seeing him again.

I guess I'm happy about Raremon receiving a canonic ultimate form after it was usually considered to be ExTyranomon or a gigantic version of Raremon. Chuumon's evolution to Searchmon was kinda random, but I guess it's a reference to Searchmon being a DigiEgg of Knowledge evolution of Wormmon.

One thing I noticed: Around the episodes in the 30's people have been complaining how Digimon 2020 is a Taichi show and fair enough there's no reason why Taichi should get 3 different megas before anybody else gets one and why WarGreymon gets 3 major battles and all that, but ...Taichi as a character is barely there. I mean, he's there physically, but he's a NPC. What little character he had was about wanting to rescue his sister, but other than that he just feels hollow - and like even hollower than any other character in this show. Original Taichi was cocky, goofy and at times dumb and his character flaws propelled his character development. New Taichi is just - "I am the main character, my Digimon evolves. Can't get through this obstacle? Let's try again differently and when it doesn't work out Agumon gets a power up." Dunno, just how I feel.

Dynamicmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Seeing a odd shaped usb
Me(jokingly): 'hehe it's a dim'
*flips to show the Agumon dim*
'Oh **** i was kidding!'

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Gerbemon being the scientist and able to make it work from just collecting "junks" from other world is something really genius.

I was surprised there weren't any... Scumon around there along with their partners.

What wait WAIT HOLD ON, DID TYUMON EVOLVED TO THAT SEARCHMON?! Wormmon + Digiegg of Knowledge?! But I suspect Tyumon somehow evolved might have to do with Koushiro's "Knowledge"... Or not?

If it weren't for the super terrible animation, I might like this episode but I actually enjoyed it although I disliked how Tyumon evolved. Searchmon is my personal fav just because.

That Raremon evolved... Look like it does resembles so much more to its inspiration design from Godzilla's villan. Shame it didn't show any attacks... Pity.

Ricardolindo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think this episode was pretty good. Garbemon was an interesting character, with his research and his desire for revenge. Speaking of which, Raremon was a good villain as was his evolution, RareRaremon. It was nice to see everyone cooperating against them. Chuumon evolving into Searchmon was unexpected and nice.

TheImpster

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Finally! A proper Izzy episode where he's shown to have an actual character with proper interests!
Taichi being there was completely unnecessary, but at least he didn't steal the show again.
Loved Garbagemon, he's great.

However this episode also highlights one of my biggest complaints about Adventure:

It doesn't seem to understand the lore behind each Digimon beyond their level. For example, Raremon. He's not supposed to be toxic goo, he's supposed to be a mass of rotting flesh mixed with technology. Like virus metalgreymon but even more decomposed. Meaning he should actually take damage from normal attacks. And then there's Garbagemon. Despite his appearance he's actually one of the more powerful garbage based Digimon, yet it seemingly can't do anything against a champion? It doesn't even try using the black hole attack.
If I was a newcomer to the Digimon franchise these things probably wouldn't bother me... But I'm not.

Still really enjoyable episode though

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A nice little episode focusing on Izzy, I always like it when he and Taichi team up. I was wondering about the lack of Black Lightning in the last few episodes so I was glad that they clarified why it was absent. I never cared for Gerbemon or Tyumon before but this episode went a long way of endearing me to them. I did like Tyumon evolving into Searchmon at the end "in order to be like Izzy" since he too now bears the Crest of Knowledge.

Not sure who if any of the kids is getting focus next week. The singing battle makes me think it might be Mimi in reference to that one episode of 01, but we shall have to see.

AngelOmega

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I believe that Millenniumon gathers his power... Anyway good Koshiro episode. In the reboot Ulatimates are the new "Champion forms". Liked the episode because of Koshiro's development but I want to see more lore... Liked that Tyumon becoming Searchmon seems to be because of Koshiro crest. Unexpected it was.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It doesn't seem to understand the lore behind each Digimon beyond their level. For example, Raremon. He's not supposed to be toxic goo, he's supposed to be a mass of rotting flesh mixed with technology. Like virus metalgreymon but even more decomposed. Meaning he should actually take damage from normal attacks. And then there's Garbagemon. Despite his appearance he's actually one of the more powerful garbage based Digimon, yet it seemingly can't do anything against a champion? It doesn't even try using the black hole attack.
If I was a newcomer to the Digimon franchise these things probably wouldn't bother me... But I'm not.

Still really enjoyable episode though
Yeah maybe Gerbemon didn't use that black hole attack to suck everywhere because he was modding his bazook? I'd imagine sucking probably won't work on Raremon whose is full of endless liquids?

I always thought Gerbemon's evo requirements are Gokimon, Raremon and Raremon going Ex-Tyranomon and Gerbemon.
I guess Gerbemon saying Raremon is his archenemy so Gerbemon evolved from Raremon theory is just now random evo at my headcanon. I'm glad for Raremon to get another new evo line besides Ex-Tyranomon.

Yeah it is really bothering me so much with this episode. No Dark Hole Bazooka. Why Searchmon? Raremon able to take any Adult attacks unlike Adventure 01's Raremon.