Digimon Adventure: Episode 40- Strike! The Killer Shot

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 40, Strike! The Killer Shot

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 39.

Episode 40 airs Sunday, March 21st, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, March 20th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, March 20th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, March 21st, 2:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That was a good episode.

The soccer match at the beginning was a fun way to have Sora and Taichi interact with the Digimon. Ikakkumon not... doing anything, and Tentomon trying to sumo Sora were amusing, as was Tailmon just sort of... "not much happening".

Everyone else trying to relax worked well enough.

Splitting Taichi and Sora off to go on the action adventure on their own worked, and had a decent amount of action.

Pomumon not being good at flying was amusing to see them handle in a few different ways.

Swinging it back to soccer at the end worked (although kind of didn't matter based on the seed attack?)

Some neat character stuff in this one (seeing which characters were trying to protect which when things were falling, etc.), with a lot of Taichi/Sora stuff, and everyone getting some great small moments (Mimi and Yamato arguing about juice.)

And it was nice to just have the digital world feel... weird. Random tech raining down feels like something you could have expected in old Adventure.

I could take 50 more of these episodes.

Kanae Ito played Pomumon. This is her first Digimon anime appearance, but not her first voice in Digimon. She previously played Yuuko Kamishiro in Cyber Sleuth & Hacker's Memory.

Last edited:

Eitaroutarouman

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really wish they clarified what makes the auras show up. I assumed it was experience, hence why Mimi and Joe didn't get any. They arguably had the least focus of the first six kids. But Sora didn't get one and she's one of the more proactive kids even if she was mostly a supporting char the past ten eps. Eh, not sure why I even care. Aura or no aura, the Megas are happening regardless.

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really wish they clarified what makes the auras show up. I assumed it was experience, hence why Mimi and Joe didn't get any. They arguably had the least focus of the first six kids. But Sora didn't get one and she's one of the more proactive kids even if she was mostly a supporting char the past ten eps. Eh, not sure why I even care. Aura or no aura, the Megas are happening regardless.
At this stage don't expect too much from the series. Just treat it as pure shounen adventure in digital world with fights just serving as digimon showcases...

Cyborg Space Dragon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Finally, the Sora episode! She was tied with Takeru as my favorite in 01 so I was waiting for this.

Just like Yamato and Jou, I’m finding Taichi’s and Sora’s friendship so much more interesting than the usual Taichi/Yamato. I always imagined them being in sync with each other like that.

Sora seems to be more soccer obsessed than Taichi. Between that and her recklessness in the Mimi episode, I like how she contradicts her usual level headedness at times. Like who she tries to be for everyone else versus who she really is and that really fits her virtue.

Yamato protects Takeru who protects Hikari. I loved that scene.

We finally get some interaction between Yamato and Mimi and it’s arguing over something stupid! Yamato really needed this.

AppliFang

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yea hard to see Garudamon's aura cause its Wing Blade/Shadow wing already looks like a Phoenix lol

Izzy/Koshiro didnt have much exp yet got an aura Dx

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Whoa whoa this Sora/Piyomon episode actually got really good and sweet animation!!

Soccer funtime huh I didn't expect Ikkakumon to play! Why evolve....

What kind of that tough fruit can survive being meteor crashed?!

Oh it's sorta same version of rescuing Fanbeemon episode just with Pomumon. That was what it gave me same vibes.

Tropiamon looked so fat... But I really was surprised at the animation suddenly became 100x times better at Garudamon vs Tropiamon

I find it silly. Why turn Pomumon into a fruit if it is already edible according to its profile?

Ohhh Taichi and MetalGreymon was turned into... The fruits I didn't expect them to be the ladies in distress!

RIP Tropiamon at least your death just got filled really good.

It's fun to see how Pomumon actually got more screentimes and... Complaining about flying. lol

Tarama

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Fun episode. Taichi fruit and MetalGreymon fruit are cute tho.

robiu013

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Had to double-check Episode 3, cause I thought they retconned Taichi and Sora knowing each other prior to the summer camp happening, but guess I was wrong.

Anyway, the last couple episodes have been quite enjoyable. It's unfortunate the series needed to get halfway through before such episodes started dropping.

Also, did I miss something or were they implying Toropiamon eat their young by turning them into fruit?

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Huh, given the preview I was totally expecting this episode to be some super contrived soccer match between the heroes and villains over some ridiculous stakes but I guess I was wrong lol. Nice to see Sora get some attention as I feel she was the least explored out of the eight kids. I can't suppress my inner shipper whenever she made faces at Taichi - especially when he was hurt. Speaking of shipping, I did laugh when the fruit first crash landed and Yamato sticks his arm out to protect Takeru who immediately does the exact same movement to Hikari...I guess they really are brothers.

Next episode is giving me major Forntier flashbacks with the child of the group being in a toyland with WaruMonzaemon. :unsure:

robiu013

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Huh, given the preview I was totally expecting this episode to be some super contrived soccer match between the heroes and villains over some ridiculous stakes but I guess I was wrong lol.
That could make it so much better, actually.

Yume

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Nothing says "Digimon Adventure" more than arguing over whether or not to open a refrigerator in the middle of a digital forest/jungle. This is what I've wanted to see in this series for so long! Stuff like phone booths in a beach or vending machines in a swamp, and have the gang have a discussion about it. I'm not saying the current show has to give us this stuff in order to be good, I just wanted to see it once in a while, like today! I know this isn't the original show, but I'm really happy to see bits and traces of the original here and there.

This episode is now among my favorites even though I'm not a big fan of Sora. The art and animation was really fluid and well done. I enjoyed it from start to finish! This is the perfect balance between action and fun moments.

I could take 50 more of these episodes.
Exactly! I wasn't expecting the show to change pace, but after these last episodes, I'm starting to apreciate it even more. We got action focused episodes and more relaxed and fun episodes. I'm really happy with Adventure:

We finally get some interaction between Yamato and Mimi and it’s arguing over something stupid! Yamato really needed this.
We all needed this! Mimi and Yamato could have such an interesting dynamic, and I'm not talking about romantic stuff. Their personalties could result in the most comic of interactions. Think about it. Mimi is the only one in the group that could drive Yamato mad, and Yamato is probably the only one in the group brave enough to coldly call her out on her ojou-sama ways.

And was anyone else expecting the whistle to be Hikari's?

Ricardolindo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think this episode was pretty good. The soccer play at the beginning was nice. The premise of Digimon being turned into fruit was interesting and and so was seeing this happen to MetalGreymon and Taichi. Sora was brave in fighting to save them and so was Pomumon.

Shadow Moon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Next episode is giving me major Frontier flashbacks with the child of the group being in a toyland with WaruMonzaemon. :unsure:
i was actually thinking more of a mix of the monzaemon episode from og adventure, but with a hint of puppentmon's mansion and primary village

Lilimonblooms

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The episode was not good for me.
It was very filler and not needed.
Garudamon definitely deserved a new attack and a new evolution sequence.
She should have ended the villain herself and without the help of metalgreymon.
However, the interaction between sora and taichi was very good.
I would have loved to see new skills for garudamon.

AngelOmega

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The episode was enjoyable and fun. Tai and SOra interactions were really good. Garudamon has very good animation. I think the best she had in all of adventure series.

I just wish in the last minutes of episodes like this could reveal a cliffhanger or had some story bits. I bet Milleniummon gathers his army and that's why the Megas will need to appear soon.

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Another great episode. I know some say episodes are coming a bit late, but honestly, I'll take it.
And it's nice to see Garudamon get that kind of click animation for her battle.

Mon-Ohma

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Image Thumbnail

Pretty much the most memorable thing that's happened to these two in the entire series for me.
Even as a fruit he still insists on ridding on the head.

Cyborg Space Dragon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We all needed this! Mimi and Yamato could have such an interesting dynamic, and I'm not talking about romantic stuff. Their personalties could result in the most comic of interactions. Think about it. Mimi is the only one in the group that could drive Yamato mad, and Yamato is probably the only one in the group brave enough to coldly call her out on her ojou-sama ways.
[/QUOTE]

So true. Those two can really bring out different sides of each other.