Digimon Adventure: Episode 39- Jyagamon, Potato Hell

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 39, Jyagamon, Potato Hell

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 38.

Episode 39 airs Sunday, March 7th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, March 6th, 6:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, March 6th, 9:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, March 7th, 2:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Super happy getting another fun and kind of dumb relaxing episode, still with plenty of action.

Jou becoming friends with Potamon over fries, and actually bringing up many Digimon not having proper fingers was amusing enough. Then they actually found a way to tie it to Jou in a way that worked oddly well, as minimal as it was. Not to mention Tailmon taking the leader stuff seriously.

Potamon was an amusing guy, and then kind of the lunacy of them fighting against exploding potatoes... which they were stopping with soap.

Lots of near cameos from Digimon we don't always see much of (plus a few who haven't been in animation before.) And Komondomon needing a cleaning with a Tankmon cameo even worked.

And having it end with Jou using Zudomon's hammer, powered by Holy Arrow...

So happy with an episode that basically used the overall structure, but kind of just filled it with dumb fun things that worked, while making it feel a bit more relaxing.

And 'maybe' we get a repeat of it next time, but with soccer?

A few of the characters/actors in this one...

Ayaka Saito has her first Digimon appearance as Burgamon.
Motoko Kumai comes back to Digimon with Potamon! She was Sukamon in Adventure & 02, and Dokamon in Appmon.
Hiromi Konno returns as Lunamon! She played her in Xros Wars.

Last edited:

Eitaroutarouman

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Couldn't get into it, mainly because the conflict (and I use that term loosely) never really got explained. Why were the fries being discontinued? Did I miss something, or was Jagamon supplying with endless potatos supposed to imply they ran out for whatever reason? Hammer Joe, on the other hand, was exactly the right kind of stupid.

Brubarb

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What a nice chill episode lol

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hey, we got some ReArise love here! Good to see little Pursurimon pop in, even if it was just a moment with Matt.

The episode was a lot of fun, it's really silly when you break it down, but it's so genuine in its silliness that I can't help but love it. Joe was definitely the star of the episode and he worked well here with his interactions with Potamon, the small nostalgic moments he had over his time at home, and his desire to help out Jyagamon when it was lost in a rage. We also had some nice smaller moments such as Tailmon's confusion over Joe being the leader or the Lunamon car wash that also helped it along. Not much else to say but it's been an nice calm streak over a past few weeks, and it's good to have since this series has needed some filler.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Couldn't get into it, mainly because the conflict (and I use that term loosely) never really got explained. Why were the fries being discontinued?
Digimon rarely ate them, as they were too difficult for them to hold, and that was all they were using potatoes for.

Did I miss something, or was Jagamon supplying with endless potatos supposed to imply they ran out for whatever reason?
His attack leaving so many potatoes around gave Sora the idea to point out to them there are other potato dishes they could make (including fried hash brown patties.) Since they would still be dealing with them, making fries for him would be at best a minor inconvenience, especially since he would be an easy supply of potatoes for all of their new popular potato dishes.

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Finally everyone start working together again after so long apart and the strategy to defeat Jyagamon was brilliant and that's what I wanted to see:) also with the power up from Angewomon as Holy digimon it kinda makes sense that we don't see childrens partners' Mega forms much...I wish they did this kind of thing in Adventure 02 lol...

Jmac28211

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That was absurd, and I loved it. Wish we got a little bit of a Vikemon cameo, but powered up Zudomon (and powered up Joe) were fun.

“Many Digimon don’t have hands! Hey can’t eat French fries!”sounds like a shower thought lol

Amandil7

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
These kind of episodes are so fun and much needed!

So many cute Digimon in one ep! Joe shenanigans being entertaining as usual. Potamon was adorable!

I liked that Angewomon supported Joe & Zudomon.

Mattman324

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Man, I wish we could just... have an entire series of this kind of episode, as opposed to the usually mediocre entirely-plot episodes. This episode and the one from two weeks ago are some of the best the show's had, and the one from last week wasn't awful either.

Also my boy Blimpmon! He didn't do anything, which is still more than that Tankmon did (...did he sleep through the entire battle...?), but being there at all was nice.

Koushirou Izumi

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't giggling from the start of this episode until it ended! especially at the beginning I loved it!

It's so silly and dumb in the best way possible, I just died when Jou started monologuing about fries, and then they showed that mini flashback. If I had any nitpicks I'd say I wish we've seen more of Jou and Potamon before they "discontinued the fries".

The fight was enjoyable enough especially with the ridiculously amazing ending with Jou and the holy hammer (LOVED IT) even though we can tell why this show keeps separating the cast they really don't know how to use them in a fight, they had Yamato, Takeru, and Sora (whom I didn't even think they bothered saying she was gone) helping evacuate the area as well as Koshiro just standing there with Tentomon because of reasons? However, all those stuff are easy to forgive when we have this much fun in an episode. long live our leader/senpai Jou!

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I find this episode quite enjoyable and funny.

I lol'ed at the vehicle parking where Blimpmon and Tankmon parked there themselves... OH how nice other Komondomon reunited with the red helmet one leader and one of them finally showed their eyes under the helmet!

Ohhh of course it makes sense for all digimon with claws or non-human hands so they ignored the fries but Kunemon, and other bird types could just... You know peck to eat?

The fries are absolute! Every meal always come with the fries that make it even more delicious to eat! You CANNOT DENY IT

I'm surprised Lunamon showed up and... Its task is to wash "Vehicle" digimons. But still it's amusing to see Tankmon sleeping and the chosen ones does remember Tankmon used to be their enemies but one of them explained when they aren't working was something nice to know.

Hmm Burgamon Adult didn't show up not even the shrimp version...

Jyagamon congrats for getting evo line. I didn't expect that Potamon is actually Adult level. Amusing. A potato digimon loves the fries and it evolved into the big potato one that fires potato mines that could be farmed for fries related menu... He'd be rich for sure.

The fries being discontinued is really the worst nightmare.

I love how Komondomon gotten more screentimes.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh yeah. Jyagamon does feel like it's Perfect level.

I forgot to mention, Pusurimon was great, too. Shame it didn't show what happened to Pusurimon and Tankmon afterwards.

Momentai

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was that kind of episode I was waiting for. The only thing I don't get is why potamon lost the ability to talk after evolution. Instead, that "jaga jaga" was like a Pokémon cry 😅, I found it very weird.

Prodigious

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
what a stupid episode! And it’s instantly my fave so far!
Joe is one of my favourites this time around. He has the strongest looking ultimate. I wish zudomon gets a good well deserved battle scene soon.
This is what the first 2 arcs were missing!
It’s nuts to me that they’re doing this NOW. But the last few episodes have been great. If we got to know the characters and world like this from the get go. The high octane action arcs would’ve been received better.
I love komodoromon
Next weeks episode seems to be a sore and tai bonding episode! They both play soccer

the new tropical dragon is my fave of all new Digimon designs. Looking forward to seeing it.

Dynamicmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The Joe Hammer Strike will be living rent free in my head for a good while

Ricardolindo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was a funny episode to watch after last week's very serious episode. It was amusing to see Jou and Potamon become friends over a common love of fries, see Potamon evolve into Jyagamon because he was angry the fries would be discontinued and see Jou and the others put him back into his senses via both fighting and talking. It was nice to see Jou finally gaining some recognition as leader.

Yume

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was worried about Jou's character portrayal in this episode, but I'm so happy with what I saw! He was so cool today (and last week too)! And say what you want about him, but he's completely right about the importance of potatoes.

I'm also happy to see the gang all together. They were all at the same spot, but the episode focused on different characters at diferrent times, as if you had the Potamon plot and the Komondomon plot. I really enjoyed it.

The last three episodes have been so refreshing and fun, and it looks like we're getting the same treatment next week, this time with Sora. Maybe the week after that, we're getting a Takeru-centric episode?
I just wished the series could find a better balance between these main plot driven episodes and more fun "filler" episodes, rather than have (for example) 10 straight main serious plot episodes followed by 10 "filler" episodes.

But hey, I'm happy with what we're getting!

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wasn't sure what to expect going into to this episode but ended up I liking it a lot. The french fries tying into Joe's backstory of cram school was surprisingly sombre after how wacky his talk about them started. If Potamon ends up being a Child-Level then would that mean this is the first instance of Warp Evolution in this anime, and its given to a COTD lol. Anyways, seems like they're really starting to push the Crests' importance with even Taichi mentioning "Joe's power" so I wonder if we'll finally get that explanation of what they are in this series. Angewomon powering up Zudomon's hammer whilst Joe helped swing it was surprisingly epic...though I did laugh at Zudomon's "huh?" when he realised the hammer came back to him but Joe did not. :ROFLMAO:

Next time though, Sora/Taichi ship confirmed? :oops: