Digimon Adventure: Episode 38- The Blazing Blue Friendship

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 38, The Blazing Blue Friendship

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 37.

Episode 38 airs Sunday, February 28th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, February 27th, 6:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, February 27th, 9:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, February 28th, 2:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So we finally get a bit of a flashback to see how Yamato and Gabumon met. Everyone else we had been at least 'told' minimal bits about, but we had basically nothing on Yamato (and we still only have a touch more now to be fair.)

The show's done it before, and it's not an uncommon plot thing in shows, but I'm really not a huge fan of the way the episode just tossed us in mid plot. I get why they did it, just didn't quite like it.

And nice to see Jou and Gomamon finally escaped from the hot spring, saving Yamato to boot.

Jou just using his knowledge to try and block back the chanting was an interesting touch. My only issue with it is it would have been nice to have had at least 'some' mention of it was the crest amplifying it, or just... Jou. And Ikkakumon's harpoons being used to climb was fun.

Overall liked the episode, but don't have all that much to say on it.

And the gang is back together for Potato Hell.

As for the guest cast this episode...

Mitsuo Iwata did Mephismon's chanting. He's been in Digimon a few times, most notable as Messemon in Appmon.

The Troopmons were played by Chihaya Tersaki, Mitsuki Nakamura, Nao Katagai, & Shuuki Imagawa. They've effectively all been ensemble actors for Adventure:, playing various smaller roles throughout.

Last edited:

Ryudamon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I am surprise that they use the purple virus Elecmon instead of the red Elecmon.

I like the episode. It shows great teamwork by Matt and Joe and show Matt's backstory. I love the introduction of Tsunomon in the storyline.

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You know, if this series gets dubbed I do not know how they'll handle this episode. A Satanic Digimon performing a ritual for a dark god is at the top of the list of things that would drive the censors mad.

Still, fun episode, it was nice to get some background on Yamato and Gabumon, and Joe is still a lot of fun as him finding his own cult by accident is hilarious. I also like that Gabumon is still showing his own drive by being the one who prompted the rescue mission initially, it's rare in the Adventure universe for the Digimon to take the initiative and it's nice to see that more often.

Eitaroutarouman

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not sure why Matt and Gabumon's first meeting needed this long to be brought up, especially when the payoff was "basically Tai and Agumon again". Also, no MetalGarurumon aura?

merlinsama

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not sure why Matt and Gabumon's first meeting needed this long to be brought up, especially when the payoff was "basically Tai and Agumon again". Also, no MetalGarurumon aura?
They got frozen which is unlike Weregarurumon so it may have been it, also Weregarurumon glowed in blue so there might have been something we missed.

muichimotsu

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't think I watched the episode or I only vaguely remember the "Bakemon lose your power" chant, but immediately remembered that odd censorship they did with it and here, he technically doesn't just do Buddhist mantra, but recites historical, mathematical and scientific facts, which makes it honestly more amusing

Timkun55

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
When WereGarurumon shoots his Kaiser Nail and is glowing blue, his pose and the wings from his Sagittarius Mode gives him the silhouette of MetalGarurumon 😁

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hmm it didn't show us how Gabumon evolved to Garurumon with that first appearance although.

It's really pity Mephismon didn't fight at full capabilities but worse, MetalGarurumon's "Ice" element only showed up instead of vague shadow or anything.

So Jou is now the digi-god? After OP Sora and Yamato...

Hey... HEY it even showed why Gabumon got caught in the first place for saving Elecmon (Virus) yet... Mephismon set the whole forest on fire and those Elecmon along with Pickmons are still living there despite being sacrificed nearby?!! I call this... BULLMONxSCUMON!
EVEN AFTER MEPHISMON got deleted, all of those Elecmon (Virus) didn't show up after all! Just what the Hades?!!

Amandil7

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A nice episode that gave Matt a much needed backstory and some personality. The flashback moments with him and Tsunomon/Gabumon were very cute!

Mephistomon was adequately dark and menacing, the whole ritual thing reminded me of the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina!

Most impressive of all was Joe! He countered that Black Sabbath with umm Textbooks lol and was instrumental to saving and helping Matt!
He really shined this ep (and gained some followers haha).

I liked how WereGarurumon Sagittarius mode took on MetalGarurumon's pose as he fired his Kaiser Nail with a freezing effect. I was fully expecting MetalGarurumon vs Gulfmon but I guess they're saving the non Agumon Megas for later.

Similar to the previous Mimi ep, Tai didn't take away from the focus of this ep (Thank God). It was neat hearing T.K mention their family situation. Gatomon's expression as they had tea was priceless!

Finally the gangs all together! (please no more separations).

Eitaroutarouman

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
When WereGarurumon shoots his Kaiser Nail and is glowing blue, his pose and the wings from his Sagittarius Mode gives him the silhouette of MetalGarurumon 😁
I thought that at first, but I brushed it off as a coincidence. I guess it makes sense.

Lord Bearmon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
An emotional episode that would've been a good debut for MetalGarurumon. Now hoping the actual debut episode won't suck like BlitzGreymon's or it would be a missed opportunity on this one.

The text says Chibickmon but that definitely looks like yellow Pickmons because of the elongated horns.

Naal

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's nice that we were told some family situation again. Looks like their parents wasn't divorced (yet) in this continuity, or maybe that's just Takeru's take on the situation. Mephismon was adequately creepy, so that's good. Jou just trying to focus and get rid of the headache by reviewing his lesson, but accidentally ended up solving problems was funny.

MetalGarurumon's aura was definitely there, but it's really missable as it's not as conspicuous as WarGreymon's or HerculeKabuterimon's.

Now that we've seen Yamato and Gabumon's first encounter, I don't understand why they had to hold it up this long. Especially since it's not that interesting. And for me their relationship felt forced. But that's not exclusive to them, so whatever. It would've been better if they've showed this before and showed some of their adventures together this time, imo.

Overall I didn't really enjoy the episode. It was meant to be another emotional episode but it failed to make me care, like Wargreymon's debut one.

Finally the gangs all together! (please no more separations).
Let's wait and see how long this will last. :)

Prodigious

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I’m really appreciating these episodes but I can’t help but think they’re in the wrong running order. The last few episodes feel very second arcish.
thos character building should have happened already.
This far into the season, I want megas and true tests of the characters virtues.

love Joe. I’m glad the team are re-re-re-reunited AGAIN. I hope it lasts. It was nice to not see Tai this episode.
criticisms aside, this episode really fleshed out Matts character without doing or saying too much. TK explaining the separation, Matt declaring gabumon as his first friend. I really thought metalgarurumon was coming

this shows biggest issue is pacing. But the world building and characterisation is improving a lot now.
Joes chanting took me out. He is hilarious. I hope some of the troopmon follow the team or are utilised in the final battle similar

HeavyLeomon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not a fan of this episode and not a fan of the series tbh. Not even metalgarurumon? Just an aura 🤦
It was like what? Twelve episodes ago when agumon had his mugendramon aura? Just before he getting two ultimates, im sorry but i cannot enjoy a series that is SO focused in the main character, adventure was always like that, but at least there was yamato to balance the thing.
Well, the Producer of this is the same Guy of XW isnt It? 😗

hcno

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
With all the setup about Yamato and Gabumon and their backstory, I kinda expected to see MetalGarurumon in this episode. Well, we'll have to wait more for another mega.

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really enjoyed that episode. Loved the flashback to how Yamato met "Tsunomon" since he didn't care to ask what his name is until after he Evolved. I liked the pairing of Yamato/Joe after the former would ghost the latter in previous episodes, made Yamato giving in and asking for help so satisfying. I must confess I bust a gut laughing when Joe became the Buddha in order to combat the demonic chanting with his own spell of mathematics and the periodic table. Lastly I continue to be pleasantly surprised by the holding off of Mega forms, I was certain they'd push MetalGarurumon but no. They're probably waiting for Yamato to say that all the kids are his friends or something.

Can't wait for the wackiness that is a Joe focused episode next week. :ROFLMAO:

Ricardolindo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think this episode was pretty good. It was nice to finally inowhow Yamato and Gabumon met. It was also nice to see Joe and Gomamon finally get out of the sauna and help Yamato save Gomamon. I liked the scene in which Joe fought the chanting by reciting historical events. The fight between WereGarurumon and Mephistomon was good.
At the end, it was nice to see everyone meet up again.

Tarama

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Seems like Ikkakumon can decide the output of his harpoon. To be used as foothold or to attack.