Digimon Adventure: Episode 37- Mimi-chan Wars

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 37, Mimi-chan Wars

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 36.

Episode 37 airs Sunday, February 21st, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, February 20th, 6:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, February 20th, 9:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, February 21st, 2:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Finally an episode that slowed down and just went with personality.

The episode was basically just... fun and kind of dumb, and done well. It's what the show has desperately needed.

Mimi has kind of rebuilt her kingdom and Taichi and Sora are dragged along for the ride.

It's a nice and fun and silly episode, with lots personality and gags.

Taichi and Agumon get dragged away by a log on the river, so Sora jumps in after them, with no actual plan to save them minus that Piyomon can evolve... except she can't.

Mimi's plans, and changed plans, and her distraction by the gems on occasion. And them playing up the stuff with her grandfather, and her seeing herself as a company president.

Komondomon falling asleep while 'driving' and Tentomon and Patamon trying to wake him up.

And the fighting felt balanced.

The episode just worked really well.

Plus Volcano Ota as Golemon and the villain is voiced by a returning actor... Kenji Nomura. Best known to fans as Nanimon in Adventure and Arbormon in Frontier.

Dynamicmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Lilymon with the Giga Drill Breaker to save the day

Peppermon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think I didn't saw Rosemon silhouette

Brubarb

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was the perfect slowed down episode! I'm so glad!

Also, what do you think of Lillymon's drill piercing the heavens? Do you think this is just a one time thing, or will we see it again sometime?

merlinsama

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was the perfect slowed down episode! I'm so glad!

Also, what do you think of Lillymon's drill piercing the heavens? Do you think this is just a one time thing, or will we see it again sometime?
Surely Mimi couldve taken some diamonds w her as well, we may see both moves.

Last edited:

with_out_will

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Lol at the entire premise of this side quest.

The callbacks to Mimi's 1st appearance were pretty obvious, & the setup for the situation felt abit contrived, but it ended up working well enough for an episode that's not exactly meant to be serious in the 1st place.

Not sure what to think of the random Lilimon drill tho

taz111

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Really liked this episode. I'm a sucker for Mimi. This actually reminds me of the Gekomon Episode in the OG series. I do love Tai and Mimi's chemistry in this series. Lilimon's powered up move is wicked. This series is really utilizing her abilities more and not just making her come across as a weak flower child size digimon. Can't for next episode with Matt.

AppliFang

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really liked how her Flower Cannon this episode wasnt the gatling gun but one big bullet lol

Also that drill attack kinda looked like Lilamons version of Lilac Dagger....perhaps Lili Drill? xD

I really like having the enemy digimon talk again *even if it just the boss haha
Thought Gogmas powers was part of Millenniumons shard or something at first :O

Eitaroutarouman

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If MetalGreymon can get a new attack for no reason, I see zero reason why Lillymon's drill move can't be one. Sadly, she didn't call anything out, so I fear it's a one-off.

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think it is really great to see those children helping digital world by getting rid of injustice rather than just plain adventure and beat villains. These kinds of side quests really help boosting series' quality.

I'm also starting to think that Lilymon's alternative mega evolution would be BanchoLilymon since Mimi is so bancho in this series lol...

Amandil7

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Trust Mimi to always come through with a memorable, personality packed episode! This was fun and flavorful and a much needed boon after last week's (imo) misstep!

The show achieves so much more in moments when it isn't disingenuous about exploring characters. They did it in the tiny chat between T.K and Patamon in the Pegasusmon ep and again here.

Mimi shined through out as she should've, and easily overpowered Tai (both literally and figuratively). That's how it's done, not giving us 15 minutes of Tai and Agumon and throwing in someone else at the end. The balance was actually great!

These type of eps are a welcome relief, it also added some decent worldbuilding showing us more of the Digital World's residents.

It was great seeing the new Pendulum Z mons, Gogmamon made for a fun boss. My one criticism was the over repetition of certain frames of him constantly munching (Om Nom Nom) and his attacks but that did not take away from the ep.

Lillymon was a star, loved the new evolution sequence and her final attack and how it turned everything flowery like in the Guardromon ep.

Such a cute moment contrasting Patamon's naïve playfulness with Gatomon's mature seriousness. Komondomon falling asleep was also hilarious.

Honorable mention: Izzy referencing Leomon's gym took me back to Digimon World 3!

md_aths03

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode also kinda proves villains and boss villain controlled by Millenniumon has no will/could not talk.
Love this Serie Mimi than OG Mimi.

DynasBoy

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
When Greymon arrived at the scene, I was so afraid they were gonna go MetalGreymon and take away Lillymon’s big moment.
So happy it didn’t happen :’) Love the drill, obviously referencing the ones used in mines.

Also wasn’t expecting Koshiro to describe Leomon’s bulging muscles xD

Geode

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I’m very disappointed, Sunarizamon only appeared for a minute and they got wiped out so fast but at least Gogmamon was satisfying, these new Digimon keep getting beaten by old Digimon, I always thought new was stronger than old.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It was really weird to see Gogmamon wanting to eat Golemon despite its connections but I can't help it but to think Gogmamon is probably the victim due to his stomach problems. But poor Gottsumon(s)?

I'm starting to think Golemon probably abandoned Sunarizamon/Gogmamon's group for Mimi also his personality is really almost same as BanchouGolemon's where it said he exchanged the fists with opponents to befriend.

I'm glad to see more digimon interact rather than humans here.

Lilimon got different animation for evolution... And drill piercing heaven attack? I think that new move may lead to BanchoLilimon... But Rosemon is already taken so too bad. However... Lilimon's fairy dust that causes flowers everywhere is still not named yet?

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It was really weird to see Gogmamon wanting to eat Golemon despite its connections but I can't help it but to think Gogmamon is probably the victim due to his stomach problems. But poor Gottsumon(s)?
It's far from the first time associated Digimon are antagonistic with each other, like Funbeemon and Waspmon/Cannonbeemon, or Guardromon and Andromon.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah but... Gogmamon wasn't the victim of that dark lightning or joined his side for power.

Cannonbeemon and Andromon were infected. So it makes sense for them to turn against each others in their evo lines.

Maybe it slightly gave me impression Gogmamon is gone insane even cannibalize? If that helps... Or not.

Imperial

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Amazing episode. But then again Ive been a Mimo fan for over 20 years. Everything Mimi did and said was so. . .legendary. 1000 years from now the legend of what took place in this episode will still be told to the children before they sleep.

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A very fun and enjoyable episode, Mimi was fun to watch as she commands attention and makes great use of it, and her relationship with the Gotsumon and Golemon was pretty nice. Also Gogmamon was a good MotW as it was nice to have another villain with a speaking role and he was intimidating in the role he had. It makes me hope that if we see the rest of the Pendulum Z Digimon they'll get similar treatment, especially ones like Regalecusmon and MarineChimeramon who could work as minor antagonists.