Digimon Adventure: Episode 36- Operation Satellite Sniper

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 36, Operation Satellite Sniper

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 35.

Episode 36 airs Sunday, February 14th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, February 13th, 6:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, February 13th, 9:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, February 14th, 2:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

Last edited:

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Overall the episode was kind of boring after the first few minutes, as most of it was just flying up the side of a pipe, although it did pick up a bit near the end.

The most interesting stuff was BlitzGreymon being used specifically as just the environment made him end up as that instead of as WarGreymon, basically fitting the profile of being an alternate WarGreymon anyways.

The main nice surprise was BlitzGreymon stopping the army of enemies, and handing off the actual job to Koushiro, giving us a bit of insight into him (although with an energy HerculesKabuterimon), and finishing off the ISS subplot.

Not a great episode, but with a few nice touches. Nice that they've already used BlitzGreymon so theories kind of got knocked off now instead of holding it for dozens of episodes.

Eitaroutarouman

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It might be the disdain talking, but I have very little positives to say this week. And if this was supposed to sell me on BlitzGreymon, they did an awful job at it. The way it was animated was super lackluster. Even the way it evolved was weak. MetalGreymon touches the Plot Convenience Pillar™ once and suddenly he adapts? Is that how it works? I'd be less annoyed if MetalGreymon came into contact with it multiple times as a way of slowly building up to it, but no. One little touch is all it needs, I guess.

Dynamicmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sad the BlitzGrey bit got spoiled by the digiprofile preview last week. They coulda swapped it for the upcoming Leomon one and there'd be no real issue (unless he's showing up in the next episode....or it's IceLeomon)
At least Koushiro got to have a moment that wasn't completely overshadowed by the new Evo. And we got a similar silhouette preview of HerculesKabuteri like what we got with WarGrey

MetalGreymon touches the Plot Convenience Pillar™ once and suddenly he adapts? Is that how it works?.
I mean that's basically how we got Alterous Mode

Prodigious

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Now that I’ve accepted this series for what it is. I really enjoyed this episode. Mostly because it focussed on Izzy even though tai got the new digivolution.
Nice nod to herculeskabuterimon during the horn buster snipe attack

this arc has been great so far
The writers are letting us understand this world more by letting us know environment plays a vital part in digivolution and survival.
it’s clear that not all Digimon are intelligent like in previous series’. They’re primal
this is why the kids keep getting attacked

I loved seeing pegusmon use star shooter. So nostalgic.
I’m used to the pacing and monster of the week format of this series now. This incarnation of the digidestined are on a mission with no time to spare. Literally

I just wish the others got more love and screen time.
I don’t wanna see tai for a good 5 episodes. He’s had EVERYTHING.

AppliFang

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I thought we were gonna get 2 Megas lol
Glad MegaKabuteri got that mega aura like Metalgrey did xD *almost time ^^

HawkG

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They really out here using BlitzGreymon because he's cool and in a card game and you know what, that's fine. They didn't throw other characters under the bus for him so let him just be a quick cameo that might show up one more time. This show had Koushiro talking about the satellite for over 5 episodes so at least it had the decency to let him save the day and teas us with his mega evo.

Notus

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Koushiro's mindscape being a cosmos reminded me a lot of the original's Vademon episode. That raised my hopes a little for an evolution or mode change for AtlurKabuterimon, but not this time. Having the "preview aura" was a nice touch, at least.

BlitzGreymon had a decent reason for occurring, an external factor during the attempt to evolve into WarGreymon influencing the evolution. But his animation during the fight was very poor.

Yay for Shooting Star being used. I was wondering if it was going to be used at all.

Naal

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode really reminded me of the episode where they fall from cloud continent. But this time they went up instead.

Overall not a good episode. It's boring and BlitzGreymon's introduction was really weak and abrupt, even as a one time gimmick. I think it's the weakest one up to this point.

Having said that, there were some interesting bits here and there, like the fossils and especially Koushiro's character moment.

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
After watching this episode I really feel more relatable to Koushiro in some way...almost thought HerculesKabuterimon was going to appear but hey for once it isn't Tai who does everything in fights.

Blitzgreymon's first anime debut! It just came out of nowhere and really looks bit rushed but no complaints there. I'm now wondering how they will switch between Blitz & Wargreymons from now on...

Geode

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Blitzgreymon reminds me of Gundam and its awesome to see its attacks in action.

Tarama

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
In Koshiro themed episode, they made Blitz debut instead of Heracle. The could've saved Blitz for a better and proper episode to debut but yeah, they didn't.
Yes we all knew about Blitz from last week episode digimon silhouette teaser, but I was expecting better delivery, far better delivery than this.
Even the evolution scene is quite disappointed. It's Blitz, not a mode change like Alteros, Toei.

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
At the risk of repeating, yeah I don't really like how Blitzgreymon appeared here. It didn't really feel necessary and you honestly could've just had Wargreymon appear instead and still maintain the same plot beats. Similarly, the build-up to the final moment was overall meh as there were stakes, but it was not really as exciting to watch.

That said, the final moment was a good one and gave Koshiro a good spotlight. It also sets up Heraclekabuterimon in a similar vein to Wargreymon in the DoneDevimon episode so at least we can expect them to build off of what happened here for the evolution later, which is probably better then just shoving it in here and having it feel as underwhelming as Blitzgreymon.

doublewizard

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
While not amazing, I thought the episode was pretty good. It was nice to see Koushiro get focus over Taichi, and the stuff with the fossils was interesting.
Speaking of which, any ideas what Digimon those were? Or were they just supposed to be generic fossils?

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really believed MetalliferKuwagamon totally will evolve to TyrantKabuterimon or give MetalGreymon hardest time due to homing lasers.
Or my other theories: The reason BlitzGreymon appeared in this episode because he could be affected with that Milleniummon's lightnings to evolve or "jogressed" with AlturKabuterimon or with Alteros Mode applied and evolved to BlitzGreymon because it belonged to MetalGreymon X Virus's. But it turned out as MetalGreymon evolved to BlitzGreymon because the digivice got hit with some static instead. I sure hope he don't go Aegiochusmon on me.

When Koushiro first floated in some weird universe space, I instantly thought of Vademon invaded his mind like Adventure 01's certain episode with AlturKabuterimon's first appearance. But it was just Koushiro's inner self...

Disappointing animation. And HerakleKabuterimon didn't appeared... At least it actually showed up in some energy form like WarGreymon did.

I'm surprised Tailmon didn't evolve...

So, in the end, Gomamon does have option to evolve to Plesiomon and Tailmon can go Holydramon/Ofanimon! AM I RIGHT?! NO MORE WARS
After all, Agumon confirmed to evolve to BlitzGreymon that surprised me and MetalGreymon (Virus) is supposed to evolve into him.

Amandil7

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A disappointing episode imo!

They managed to ruin both BlitzGreymon's debut and distract from an Izzy focused, potential HerculesKabuterimon episode!

I was so excited about BlitzGreymon showing up in the series, but last week's preview made me nervous they'd throw him in this early out of nowhere. That's exactly what happened here! There was no proper build up, the other children don't even have Megas yet, not even MetalGarurumon and Tai already got his alternate evo.

Perhaps if they had built the idea of alternate evos as a way to adapt it would make more sense, it just seemed out of nowhere and premature.

The debut itself was so underwhelming, digivolving against a mere ultimate/perfect and champions because of electricity. The animation was meh and there was nothing epic here in contrast to Wargreymon who had a memorable debut. They should have saved him for later and given him a proper episode at least.

At least they managed to give Izzy some of the focus at the end, poor boy has to carry the weight of the world and deserved a moment to shine. I'm disappointed this wasn't HerculesKabuterimon's debut. I don't want them to drag the Megas out but looks like we'll have to wait for them.

Getting real sick of Tai taking up 3/4th of every damn episode.

Lord Bearmon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I do like that they're making 'slide evolving based on the environment' canon, but everything else was anticlimatic.

Where's my GrandisKuwagamon :(
Maybe MetallifeKuwagamon didn't die and will come back in HerakleKabuterimon's debut episode since it looked like he was just being absorbed by the tower.

Koushirou Izumi

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
An okay episode by the reboot's standards......they had such an interesting idea with the ancient Digimon that died and created the whole yellow energy pipeline but they didn't go anywhere with that idea.

And of course, they just shoved Blitzgreymon here for literally no reason?? they weren't even fighting a Mega Digimon. The reasoning itself is pretty cool the fact that Digimon can adapt to different environments and evolve differently but the execution was so bad the evolution literally came out of nowhere and to make matters worse they did it in a Koshiro-focused episode. I don't understand the need to give Taichi two Megas before anyone can even get any of their mega or even ultimate (Takeru!!).

It was cool to see Koshiro save the day, but it was completely ruined and overshadowed by the new Taichi evolution. And the weak technique that this reboot does of showing us a montage with three lines about friendship and calling it character development? I think not :)

Anyway, glad this whole ISS plotline is done and we're getting a Mimi episode - which from the preview has more Taichi and no sighting of anyone else *shocker*- I hope we get some great Mimi and Palmon moments I have missed them so much.

RyummaSama

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The character insight for Koshiro was really nice touch in the end, but it definitely would've been better if Tentomon reached HeraklesKabuterimon, rather than a silhouette.

While BlitzGreymon was definitely shoehorned in for no real good reason (no fanfare) , the foreshadowing of "digimon evolving based on their environment" made it slightly less annoying. You could honestly do the whole episode without BlitzGreymon and it would be the same thing.

Also, Piyomon seeing Agumon get 2 Ultimates while she still hasn't even gotten one.

Rohan

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Whew, that was a tense episode. Interesting to hear about the Digimon fossils, did we know who they were since it went by too fast for me. Something piercing the sky gives me major TTGL flashbacks. I was surprised that BlitzGreymon didn't get a fancy Evo sequence makes me wonder if Agumon will be able to keep that form or if it'll be a situational thing. I actually prefer the fact that we didn't get HeraklesKabuterimon this episode as while Koushirou's development today was nice, I didn't feel it was quite enough to warrant the emotional payoff of a Mega Evo.

So glad to see the queen is returning next week. Leomon being in next week's Spotlight has me worried...