Digimon Adventure: Episode 34- Hikari and Tailmon

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 34, Hikari and Tailmon!

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 33.

Episode 34 airs Sunday, January 31st, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, January 30th, 6:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, January 30th, 9:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, January 31st, 2:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
An episode that slowed down for a bit, yayyyy.... I could use another 20 of those.

Komondomon continues to be better and better. And also Tailmon speaks Komondomon.

The kids and Digimon seems as happy for a bit of slowdown as everyone else. And minus Koushiro it didn't bother with the quick and away cameos of everyone.

MarineAngemon didn't do much, but it worked well enough. Interesting, not a returning MarineAngemon actor, but is someone well known to Digimon fans. It's Yukana, the voice of Lalamon. MarineAngemon appearing large in the preview, and in the initial appearance before the reveal that nope, tiny, was amusing enough, even if nothing was done with it. (DaiPenmon did very little, but was also quite amusing.)

Tailmon is, interesting so far (and now it appears she 'was' SkullKnightmon, sort of, maybe). I'm glad it appears they sorted out her position with Hikari decently quickly, as I could imagine the mother hen type thing getting old quickly (although we'll see how much that is actually gone.)

And some details of things like FAGA filled out bits we were unsure of quickly enough.

Overall a nice episode. Could use more slowdown.

Eitaroutarouman

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Can we please have more episodes that take place in populated areas with Digimon that can actually talk? I miss when that was a regular occurance. Also, more slower-paced eps that actually focus on character dynamics. The show would be way better off with them, thanks.

Brubarb

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was happy that the Mambomon could speak! I wonder if MarineAngemon will have more of a role later on.

I still think that Tailmon was Skullknightmon like I had first mentioned back then. Maybe we'll get some details on how she fell later on if this is true.

Hikari's smile is creepy lol

with_out_will

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It was nice to see the aquatic digimon being used creatively as a defense/warning siren. Daipenmon acting as the ship rudders was great as well, though it seems kinda awkward to move the whole thing just like that.

Odds of Nefertimon appearing seem to be much lower, what with Tailmon being able to battle effectively, & Angewomon likely appearing next episode. Unless the writers go with the schtick of her losing her holy ring once more..?

Speaking of the holy ring, it would have been interesting to hear how they justified Patamon not having 1 lol. Appreciated the lampshade hanging there.

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So it looks like SkullKnightmon technically was Tailmon, so that's one question answered.

Honestly, I'm glad to have another slower episode. Sometimes it's nice to just have things drift a bit and allow the characters to hang back and get to know each other, and this episode was a good one. Plus, Tailmon was just introduced to us, so she needed the more laid back episode for us to get to know her a bit.

Chimera-gui

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Nice to see that Komondomon does have an interior after all. I'd love to see some game devs use it and bring back Ballistamon Mushroom Cottage as possible homes for your character.

Btw, did the kids ever go up the stairs inside Komondomon?

Last edited:

Notus

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Tailmon's overprotectiveness of Hikari actually makes her feel like an Adult, which is nice. I agree it's a trait that can get out of hand, but the episode's development makes me think it won't be exaggerated.

Amandil7

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I love the change of pacing the past few eps have given us, especially this one.

I was excited about getting to see all these Digimon & they did not disappoint. MarineAngemon being large in the preview and turning out tinier than ever was hilarious. Diapenmon is just such a cool derpy digimon. A few more scenes with the residents (especially Sangomon) would have gone a long way! Hopefully they'll meet more Digimon communities and the Digital World will be more fleshed out.

It was kinda weird that Gatomon did not acknowledge Patamon in the entire episode or delve much into being Skull/DarkKnightmon but I guess they'll do that later.

Kari's bond with her, once again had less impact given we've just recently seen way stronger material with T.K & Patamon, so it felt a bit reused to me.

It was cool how she took down an ultimate, a Kitty not to be underestimated!

The part about the Holy ring seemed too in our face lol. I got the impression Patamon might be feeling a little insecure.

All in all, a lighter, fun episode.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really like this episode now despite it had few terrible animations.

Komondomon have six legs... Tailmon speaking Komondomon's language. But why did Patamon said like that when Patamon able to understand Seadramon groups?! Oh well

Komondomon is really super useful in any situation huh. MarineAngemon is so tiny as usual. Before that, I seriously thought that hologram was real due to its see-though body. How disappointing.

Swimmon, Chapmon and Sangomon finally appeared I'm really pleased with seeing Swimmon because I imagined it's hard to put it since it have such flashy colorful designs.

Mambomon and Mantaraymon fighting each others were extremely irony. They are Patamon's Digiegg evolutions................. I find it sad somewhat.

So Tailmon didn't evolve yet huh. But importantly Jou and Mimi didn't get mentioned yet not even Yamato!

Look like Patamon will be stick with Pegasmon for long time until he gets... Uhh restored?

Since Hikari reunited with Tailmon, the creepiest aura vanished in Hikari and now she shows more emotions.
I liked how Hikari and Tailmon bonding along with Komondomon to nurse.

DynasBoy

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Poor Meteor Wing just can’t look good

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm not a big fan of this episode. Anomalokarimon appeared and disappeared, and Tailmon kept rambling about Hikari. Then episode ended. The only good thing in this episode was that big dead skeleton fish. Also I feel that the writers now want to downgrade the meaning and existence of Patamon. Seems like Takeru and Patamon will soon share the same fate as Sora...

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A good episode. Damn, Tailmon speaks more than the rest of the Partner Digimon combined. It was cool to see a lot of the aquatic Digimon, especially the weird ones like DaiPenmon. I was expecting Tailmon to Evolve in this episode but I'm glad they held off to give us more time to see Tailmon in action since she is an Adult Level after all. All this talk of "Fate" has me curious if they're going to explain what made the Kids "Chosen" in this timeline.

Anyways, can't wait for next week for Angewomon and SkullKnightmon not being not yet. :)

Snow

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Overall the episode was good although that animation felt off sometimes.
Remember few weeks back when we got the guide from episode 31-35, didn’t It say “the eight chosen children finally gathered” or something of that sort? I wonder what happened to that I was expecting all of them to back, it getting kind of ridiculous how we’re half way through the series and we’ve barely seen them all together

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Dead skeleton fish? I bet it is Whamon.

Breakdramon was seen in the beginning made me realized, maybe all Machine and Cyborg digimon are simply inactive not deleted for example Hagurumon, Andromon, Guardromon, even Komondomon despite it's Beast type. But yet this skeleton fish is odd. Oh well I think Breakdramon probably will be involved for one of the chosen children's Ultimate evolution. I'm sure.

Tailmon is able to talk to Komondomon... because she used to be a dog! (Plotmon)

Hikari is sad because she can't ride her Digimon like everybody else
I wonder if Angewomon can bark and meow to confirm that...

Oh does that means... Hikari will be in danger even more than before? Because Tailmon is so small and Hikari can't ride her like that...

Naal

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So DarkKnightmon was actually Tailmon. And they just mentioned this briefly in the previously on as if it was really clear, lol.

I liked how they explain the existance of the underwater city. What was really nice, though, that they choose to continue to slow down and explore the characters themselves and their relationship, especially with Hikari and Tailmon in this episode (pun not intended). Hikari tending to komondomon was nice too.

Overall this was nice. Would love to have this kind of episodes more.

Remember few weeks back when we got the guide from episode 31-35, didn’t It say “the eight chosen children finally gathered” or something of that sort? I wonder what happened to that I was expecting all of them to back, it getting kind of ridiculous how we’re half way through the series and we’ve barely seen them all together
Yeah, that was really weird. The only explanation I could think of is that the guide was written before the actual episode's storyboard was done. But that would also be weird because they could've revised it easily.

Yume

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Art and animation were slightly off this week. There was a scene where Sora was way taller than Tai and the characters were staring at MarineAngemon when it was in another part of the "screen". (around 12 and half minutes into the episode). Tailmon also looks smaller than last week, but I might be wrong. This didn't bother me much though, since the episode was fun. We finally get to see them stop and rest for a moment. More please! I really wouldn't mind to see an episode where Yamato, Mimi and Koushiro meet up with Joe and are forced to relax in the onsen as well.
That Blossomon represents us fans who would gladly force the characters to stop and relax for a couple of episodes! :LOL:

I have to say It's weird not to hear Tokumitsu Yuka voice Tailmon, but the new voice fits her. I'm glad they adressed the fact that it will be hard for Hikari and Tailmon to stick together when fighting. I guess she'll share this "problem" with Mimi. I was also expecting Tailmon to aknowledge Patamon, or the the fact that she is Adult level unlike the others. Maybe next week?

As far as underwater Digimon episodes go, this one has the cooler concept, in my opinion. The city in a whale skeleton was nicely done, but shouldn't water burst in when Anomalocarimon broke the barrier?

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I looked briefly at the guide, and it didn't mention anything about reunion. It could be that Snow remembers the previous guide.

Darklabo

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Still no new opening :/

Well, I'm glad to find a Digimon community again, it always gives a bit of consistency to the universe and it's just nice to hear Digimon talking.
I liked the fact that they emphasize the special nature of MarineAngemon through its Holy Ring. Quite surprised to see that it's still tiny, with last week's preview I really expected it to be giant.
The underwater city was really cute, by the way.

Scorpiomon Anomalocarimon is much more intimidating than in the original series, it is apparently more powerful than MarineAngemon which is a Mega-Level.
And even though Tailmon managed to overcome it, I guess we'll stop considering her as a second-rate Adult from now on :p

Tailmon was particularly talkative in this episode, which is cool, it gives her some consistency there too.

Hikari is still a little creepy.