Digimon Adventure: Episode 33- The Hikari of Dawn

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 33, The Hikari of Dawn

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 32.

Episode 33 airs Sunday, January 24th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, January 23rd, 6:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, January 23rd, 9:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, January 24th, 2:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Overall an enjoyable episode.

We got some more information at the beginning, along with it apparently being a group of Vademon who are trying to bring Millenniummon back.

The catchup with the others was nice (Mimi getting jewels for her position running fight club, Jou not being allowed to leave because the Digimon like him, etc.)

The main portion of the episode generally worked, clarifying why Hikari left, DarkKnightmon's role, etc., even if many times it was quick bits.

The battle stuff was mostly nice, if not overly fancy. (Although the Taichi bit before the WarGreymon evolution was a nice touch. I guess they chose to leave it out until now to make the moment feel more striking here?)

The stuff with Hikari mostly worked, and (assuming they don't clarify it in the other way next time) the idea that Tailmon was shoved in DarkKnightmon so her holy ring could power him was a nice touch with her not actually 'being' him. Moreso since extra effort was spent to make him seem robotic and artificial.

DarkMaildramon is no one and is gone, and unless he has more bodies (he was seemingly artificial) DarkKnightmon is also gone, but he did explode real nice.

The Milleniummon 'essence' attacking Hikari and WarGreymon taking off a head was a nice way to make it feel a bit more menacing with agency to the villain who isn't quite there yet.

The Vademon's being disappointed made me laugh I have to say, their sigh was amusing.

Now that Tailmon is around, I look forward to her and Hikari hopefully having proper roles. (And Tailmon once again suggests the Digimon 'have' been waiting for the kids for a very long time.)

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, doing a quick search, it's a term that has in at least one instance been applied to the four biggest tech companies (Facebook, Apple, Google, Amazon).

Eitaroutarouman

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Colon has officially commited its gravest sin: not dedicating an entire episode to whatever the hell Mimi is doing.

Tarama

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Pegasmon level is "???" because you don't want to tease Adv 02 reboot directly obviously, right, Bandai?

Dragonman-82

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Good episodes, yet I think it was a missed opportunity not to see Dark Knightmon mega.

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
well skullknightmon being a nobody...really should have known it...this really is becoming a bad spot for this really good Adventure reboot.
also I think they are still deciding on other children's new evolutions and that's why they are pretty much onlookers for the moment

Kuzehiko

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
well skullknightmon being a nobody...really should have known it...this really is becoming a bad spot for this really good Adventure reboot.
also I think they are still deciding on other children's new evolutions and that's why they are pretty much onlookers for the moment
>being a nobody
>Lasted 11 episodes
>stomped MetalGreymon and WereGarumon with ease
>WereGarurumon Sagittarius Mode and MetalGreymon could not beat him
>outlasted Devimon and his evolutions making it to the next arc
>Gave Angemon a Holy Digimin a good run for his money by stalemating him.
>Stomped MetalGreymon AM and was only defeated by WarGreymon who happens to be the chosen children's current strongest Digimon powerhouse

Also, he can access all of his true powers without a partner. All of his attacks are insane too. This DarkKnightmon is awesome compared to the one from XW who could not even do the half of the stuff Adventure 2020 SkullKnightmon does The one from XW is a joke compared to this version of DarkKnightmon.

Mattman324

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Also, he can access all of his true powers without a partner. All of his attacks are insane too. This DarkKnightmon is awesome compared to the one from XW who could not even do the half of the stuff Adventure 2020 SkullKnightmon does The one from XW is a joke compared to this version of DarkKnightmon.
Yeah, Xros Wars Darkknightmon truly only had him beat in one regard - unlike anyone from Adventure:, he had an actual personality.

(I'd like to state for the record that there have been four villains in Adventure: that have said more than their own damn name, and this fact bugs the fuck out of me, especially when three of those four were either brainwashed or turned good.)

(edit: actually there have been five, counting the vademon leader in this episode)

Last edited:

Tarama

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Rewatched it and I have question.

So what's the point of stealing Patamon digitama if SkullKnightmon already have Tailmon in his side?

Let me answer it myself:
"Two is better than one." but then "One is better than nothing at all."

Am I right, Millenniummon?

Mattman324

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh, yeah, and, the Vademon in this episode:

I'm never going to be able to take them seriously, unfortunately.

Naal

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's an okay episode. Though when contrasted with previous week's episode it felt a little bit meh.
The Vademon "cult" was hilarious, if anything.

I think Adventure: continues to not explain things properly. One has to infer—or rather guess—what was going on, even the important points. And that's clearly not a good thing.

Amandil7

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Idk what to feel about this episode. It was good-ish but paled in comparison to last week's genuine gem or even the Angemon debut ep. Somehow Matt trying to free T.K had more emotion & weight compared to Tai and Kari.

The Vademon being a part of Milleniumon's cult was the most eerily fascinating part. I really wanna see where they take that next and how we reach FAGA.

It just felt like they were getting over what we already guessed, SkullKnightmon being/hosting Gatomon inside. Nothing surprising happened in that regard.

I was kinda hoping for a new DarkKnightmon evolution to contend with Wargreymon but they powered him up and enlarged him instead. The moves were great, raising those undead Vilemon & seeing Pegasusmon just eviscerate them. I'm surprised how much they're using Garudamon, good for Sora! RIP DarkMaildramon.

Seriously wish they give us an entire ep of Joe and Mimi shenanigans!

Now that SkullKnightmon is gone, I wonder who the next henchman for Millie will be.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Did... That Kokuwamon suddenly fell down and got roadkill'ed by Komondomon? I need the confirmation....

Wow the mastermind is behind this... Vademon?! Is it cult of Vademon or what? They seemed so creepier than before!

So it turned out as DarkMaildramon wasn't the Tailmon Hikari sensed. But Tailmon was "sealed" in... DarkKnightmon? Or what?

Tch that WarGreymon's Evolution Transformation got edited?

I think Mimi is getting rich and way richer... And Golemon just wanted a fight with Togemon? That's it?!

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I felt this a good episode, not as good as last weeks but still reasonable.

The Cult of Vademon, I suspect they are part controlled into their attempt to bring Milleni back. Chances are he will end up being revived (hiss)

The quick catch up with Mimi and Joe made me laugh. Joe really is only there for comedic relief at this point.

Glad that Tailmon wasn't actually DarkKnightmon but trapped inside of him and now she's out! Cya to DarkKnightmon and DarkMaildramon as well, unless spirits pull a Vamdemon.

I felt the battle was enough time and with WarGreymon having to be careful with Hikari being inside.

Timkun55

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh, yeah, and, the Vademon in this episode:

I'm never going to be able to take them seriously, unfortunately.
Oh my God - the Vademon reminded me of the Little Green Men from the Toy Story series, but now I'm imagining a fusion of the two; "The Greater Good approaches, ooohhh!!!"

Ragnalord

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode tells me that Bandai should update Darknightmon ref book

Koushirou Izumi

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Underwhelming is an understatement of what I felt after finishing this episode. So many logical and questionable things happened. Firstly, they build up SkullKnightmon for literally over 20-25 episodes just for him to be a nobody?? he wasn't even Tailmon which would have been a weak choice but at least it would explain all of this investment that Adventure: gives him throughout the series but nope. he's just a robotic non-significant digimon that has Tailmon shoved into him???? (as usual unexplained)

Secondly, I HATE that after all of this time waiting for Hikari to reveal something...ANYTHING about herself she just says she did all of this - almost sacrificing herself and DYING - because she trusted Taichi would save her? without even communicating with him? wow the writers of this show just took the damsel in distress female trope and took it to another level and the comments that Taichi mentioned in the past about her looking in the distance and being weird since they were little is just again not important and she is just another girl character who needs to be saved yay. love that.

Lastly, can we just talk about how all of this arc who we thought was about Hikari and would actually reveal something about her was just about giving Taichi another "protagonist" moment. I have never hated a main character as much as I hate this Taichi. he never shows any emotions? he literally got swallowed by a digimon? nothing. His little sister gets swallowed by a digimon? you think he might shed a tear and be sad? nope he is just never going to give up. there are many fanfictions that have better writing than this show

I'm just sick and tired I think I'm gonna officially give up on this show if they screw up Angewomon's debut which let's be real they 99.99% will because this show fails spectacularly on writing and developing the two things that are important for this event: female characters and proper evolutions story beats.

Yume

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Enjoyed the pace of the episode. And I really love having Pegasumon instead of Angemon, for some reason. Even with all the displays of the power of light, Pegasumon looks stronger than Angemon somehow.

Another week, another Sora/Garudamon moment, by taking out DarkMaildramon. I hope this treatment continues.

Can't wait to see more interaction between Hikari and Tailmon. And now I really wanna see the gang together again.

I feel like the show is getting better each week!