Digimon Adventure: Episode 32- Soaring Hope

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 32, Soaring Hope

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 31.

Episode 32 airs Sunday, January 17th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, January 16th, 6:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, January 16th, 9:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, January 17th, 2:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The episode actually had some slowdown early on, which was nice.

That it happened after a speedy rescue scene, while riding on a quick Komondomon doesn't change that. And Komondomon just headbutting through Fangmon was quite amusing.

Nice to see Lopmon back already. The episode actually detailing Angemon not being available to Patamon (for now), and why worked really well (the strain of holding up the world metaphorically, and literally, through untold years, even after dying and coming back.)

The chase stuff itself with Komondomon overall was generally fun to see, especially when Taichi got involved.

Some of Patamon's thoughts later really makes you go 'hmm' for a few things, especially on finding out if the translation was accurate.

Patamon has his memories, but seemingly not 'all' of them based on what Lopmon said. Patamon also seems to have 'always' been waiting for Takeru, and suggests he 'may' have met him before.

Flashes of Seraphimon, BlackSeraphimon, HolyAngemon were nice. (Would have been nice to clarify if BlackSeraphimon was what he 'almost' became when the egg was being dropped in the gunk, or if something almost happened another time, but hopefully that gets brought up later.)

Takeru and Patamon protecting Sora felt well done, and the stuff with Pegasmon overall was quite good. The last bit of the battle with Cerberumon had some nice weight to it (most of the Pegasmon stuff did actually.)

Checking in with the other team members:
Yamato is running across a field, having been reasonable enough to just trust Taichi and the others will take care of Takeru.
Jou is being Joued.
Koushiro is letting everyone know things are still happening.
Mimi is... running a fight club?

Overall, really enjoyable episode.

Brubarb

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Looks like Seraphimon fell to darkness and became ShadowSeraphimon https://digimon.fandom.com/wiki/ShadowSeraphimon, then devolved to HolyAngemon. I think when he was an egg, he was just an egg.

I'm not sure I like Pegasmon being so powerful, but overall, I enjoyed the episode. I think I can say it was good.

with_out_will

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I like seeing the writers expanding on the abilities of older Digimon such as Cerberumon & Darkknightmon. Those make for nice little surprises that no one predicted would happen lol.

So with Pegasmon making his debut in this series, I expect there's a chance of seeing Nefertimon as well?

AppliFang

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I like seeing the writers expanding on the abilities of older Digimon such as Cerberumon & Darkknightmon. Those make for nice little surprises that no one predicted would happen lol.

So with Pegasmon making his debut in this series, I expect there's a chance of seeing Nefertimon as well?
Yea...if Gatomon (though champion, but treated as a rookie)
I could see Nefertimon as its "champion" form lol

Nice hearing the old insert song!^^

Eitaroutarouman

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'd find Patamon getting his memories back more interesting if they had suggested he had lost any to begin with. Though I guess the fact him never expositing about the war like Lopmon did was probably a red flag. Also, why is Cerberumon so huge this time? I guess it fits its namesake. Also, is that three head thing new? Far as I remember, the other two were mostly decorative.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Neat to see the additional functionality given to Cerberumon's secondary heads (and it ties in with its mythological roots somewhat), and a more useful take on Rodeo Gallop.

It's possible, but I kind of doubt it because Pegasmon shows up in the Digivice but Nefertimon doesn't.

Peppermon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Pegasusmon without Digimental in anime? That's curious. I wonder what is the idea behind a second evolution. Maybe he lacks holy powers, but still has hope?

Amandil7

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Last ep really revived my excitement for the show & this one built on it.

The episode added a lot of much needed depth for Takeru and Patamon while adding a nicer pace to things.

Takeru sharing the bit about swimming was cute, Patamon's being in the darkness flashback reminded me a lot of OG Salamon/Gatomon.

Neat cameo for Shadow Seraphimon, was wondering if he would show up at some point
given the whole Hope must be steeped in Despair/ Corrupt the Holy Digimon theme.

I was confused by what Patamon meant by never forgetting Takeru (maybe some translation error).

Great to see Lopmon's role isn't over, loved the telepathic flashbacks again with the Mega Angel Digimon. Sad that they're gone/powerless according to Lopmon. Ironic if Lopmon purifies Gatomon in a similar way, really redeeming his previous appearances lol.

Pegasusmon was so cool going up against those Fangmon and that terrifying Cerberusmon.
I'm glad they didn't bring out MagnaAngemon, hopefully he will be the last again & his debut will be special.

I do wonder about the alternate evos, if Gatomon gets Magnadramon, and the main two get alt megas, kinda meh that Patamon gets Pegasusmon in comparison. Hopefully it goes somewhere.

Mimi running a fight club was hilarious! I wish they gave us an entire ep of Mimi & Joe shenanigans. sigh

P.S Nanimon, a group of Nanimon and now tentacles ahaha Poor Joe!

Last edited:

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Pegasusmon without Digimental in anime? That's curious. I wonder what is the idea behind a second evolution. Maybe he lacks holy powers, but still has hope?
The idea of second/more different evolution isn't new at all. Each rookie digimon has lots and lots of alternative evolution chains ( which is the original concept of digimon I think). I think Patamon used up his holy digimon powers as Angemon previously and he seems to lost his previous memories and his new friendship with TK opens up a new path of evolution...

Dynamicmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Also, why is Cerberumon so huge this time? I guess it fits its namesake. Also, is that three head thing new? Far as I remember, the other two were mostly decorative.
certainly the closest it's been to actual cerberus. I half expected it to go werewolf mode though

HawkG

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What a good episode. Isn't it nice when characters and talk to each other and share their feelings. It episode pretty much had everything wrapped up int he small bean duo that is Takeru and Patamon.

Peppermon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The idea of second/more different evolution isn't new at all. Each rookie digimon has lots and lots of alternative evolution chains ( which is the original concept of digimon I think). I think Patamon used up his holy digimon powers as Angemon previously and he seems to lost his previous memories and his new friendship with TK opens up a new path of evolution...
Man, I know it is not new for the franchise. But for the anime, that's totally new.

Lilimonblooms

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The episode was good, so happy to see that garudamon is appearing weekly and is getting some spotlight.
However I was disappointed to see pegasusmon because angemon didn't appear much and this evolution will reduce from his screentime in the future.
Also they need to focus on mimi, joe and yamato more! The last one is falling hard.
The action in the episode was neat!

educhavez

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
To be honest, I was expecting HolyAngemon. I can't feel excited for an adult at this point of the history.

Why MetalGreymon didn't use Alteros/WarGreymon if he was struggling with the fight?, idk... Also, I don't see "consistency" with the energy levels of the digimon (I feel that they could go with full power if the writers wanted).

But, aside of that, some interactions between characters were rather enjoyable...

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Fangmon sure is speedy even... Dodging in mid air.

Whaaat? Lopmon is in Yoda Star wars mode or what? He talked with Patamon in holy telepathic...

Hm? Not sure what I witnessed but was that Patamon's ear wings or ShadowSeraphimon?! Before devolved to HolyAngemon.

Cerberumon can... Dispatch two head shoulders?! Is that why it has cables warped around the fake head ones?!

WAAITTT HOOLD ON Patamon evolved to Pegasmon? WITHOUT DIGIEGG OF HOPE? SERIOUSLY? Did that digivice stored it or what?!

Okay this episode is sure something even I don't know what to say about that.

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Pretty good episode, it's nice to get an episode that took its time for a bit and allowed the characters to bond again. It honestly made me happy to see Takeru perk Patamon up by sharing his own struggles with swimming and how it tied into being each other's rock in moving forward.

Also, why is Cerberumon so huge this time? I guess it fits its namesake. Also, is that three head thing new? Far as I remember, the other two were mostly decorative.
Yeah this is the first time we've seen that ability, though I honestly wish they thought of it sooner. Cerberus' three heads are its most iconic element in mythology and Digimon only really had them as armor plating, this gives them a proper purpose.

Naal

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
First thing first, it's really satisfying to see some interaction between Takeru and Patamon. That gave so much more meaning to their bond and made the "emotional scene" fitting, unlike the previous Angemon reverted to egg scene.

At first I didn't know how I feel about Lopmon appearing in Patamon's dream(?) but I guess it's fine. Also not sure how I feel about how Patamon evolved into Pegasmon, as the explanation was basically what normally caused the evolution in this series.

For me Yamato sounded like he doesn't really care about Takeru that much. I don't know if it's just the voice acting, the directing, the writing, or something else, but something definitely rubbed me the wrong way.

It's funny to see Pegasmon using Rodeo Gallop when Takeru was riding, and he's completely fine after. Koushiro's comment in the encyclopaedia part was amusing, as usual, but this might be my favourite.

Koushirou Izumi

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Did Digimon Adventure 2020 have an ACTUAL character moment between Takeru and Patamon? Holy sh*t even though the episode was still the same (we're being chased) plotline, the fact that the episode slowed down and gave us a few interactions between the character AND a meaningful character moment between Takeru and Patamon made this episode 10 times better than it should be for me.

This is just a small example of how good the show could have been if it focused on characters as well as action, not just action all the damn time. Anyway let's hope the series is learning from its missteps and is only going up in quality from here because I have been digging the last couple of episode so much after a very disappointing 15-20 episodes before that.

Chudix

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Finally, after a very long time, an episode worth watching.

It's funny to see Pegasmon using Rodeo Gallop when Takeru was riding, and he's completely fine after.
Sora is always fine after Garudamon's Shadow Wing, but she shuld be burned, so it is nothing special.

WAAITTT HOOLD ON Patamon evolved to Pegasmon? WITHOUT DIGIEGG OF HOPE? SERIOUSLY? Did that digivice stored it or what?!
Why not? This is completely new anime series without connection to old Adventure canon. In some games, card games and old anime series armor level digimons are adult/perfect or even ultimate level digimons and they do not need digimentals to evolve.