Digimon Adventure: Episode 31- A New Darkness, Millenniumon

Lord Bearmon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
WAHOOO!
I love how the Komondomons act like real doggos instead of speaking human, and they have legs!
Did Lopmon resurrected them from the dead, or were they just hibernating?

If only Pendulum Z didn't tease SlashAngemon as Armadimon's Ultimate, I would theorize that SlashAngemon's Child form in this series is Spadamon.
They still can, if Armadimon evolve to ClavisAngemon instead like in the card game.

Infinity Master

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Good episode overall, but there are 2 things that bothered me:

1) It bothered me that they called "ZeedMillenniumon" as "Millenniumon" in this episode. I think it would've been 1000% more appropriate if the TRUE Millenniumon (the one with cannons) was the old evil threat and after being defeated, he got crystallized (i.e. becoming MoonMillenniumon) to preserve his soul and NOW he wants to evolve into ZeedMillenniumon to become the final boss of this anime.

2) I wish they gave "Reapermon/Gokumon" a voice/personality and more episodes to shine as a villain rather than just straight out killing him in his debut IMO.

A bit of a data/lore dump means things actually slowed down a bit for an episode that actually felt rather focused in what it wanted to do.

Nice to have Chinami Nishimura back as Lopmon also, her voice works quite well for Lopmon.

The information Lopmon gives mostly clarifies and expands on prior details, while also giving us a cameo for Angewomon, Seraphimon, and Ophanimon.

Having Lopmon get her memories back because of WarGreymon's evolution being a unique event/source of energy was a nice way to do it (including Lopmon pointing out getting those memories back was not a normal event.)

Having Millenniumon be detailed a bit was helpful. Curious to find out if the Moon Millenniumon we've seen so far is some sort of coherent 'thing', or if they've just repurposed Moon to be the shards they've described.

While I'd like to see more of the other kids, I actually think it was mostly to the benefit of the episode that it didn't decide everyone needed a 5 second cameo.

The battle stuff was mostly standard, although seeing WarGreymon fight and use some of his attacks in ways that don't come up that often was a nice touch. (Not sure how I feel about having a WarGreymon evolution the episode after the first one though.)

The various Komondomon just barking after they announced an actor is both hilarious and kind of annoying. (Even though they did announce 'what' he would be saying, it was still a bit 'eh' to have it happen, even though it wasn't a surprise.)

The lore dump gives the show a bit of slowdown, but it 'still' does need an episode where little to nothing action-wise happens. Or at least just has the kids do nothing for 15ish minutes and have a 5 minute fight at the end.
Lopmon is actually a male Digimon.
Source: https://digimon.fandom.com/wiki/Lopmon_(Tamers)

Last edited:

Rohan

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Despite being mostly a Lore episode, I really enjoyed it. We finally get the name of the villian "Millenniumon" dropped which is cool to see him properly in an animated work. As expected the Lopmon pulled a Frontier by awakening its past memories to speak with the heroes but sadly departed by the end, I was kinda hoping it would stick around and be a mentor. We also got "the power of Courage" mentioned but not directly linked to the Crest, oh well its a start at least. Overall I'm just glad we got to spend some time with WarGreymon's awesomeness instead of immediately jumping into another Mega which is good. It seems that next episode will be MagnaAngemon too which is also swell for not having the Megas back to back.

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ah finally some more of the lore and 'this is now your purpose'. This is the sort of balance I've been hoping for a while. Was happy to see MetalPhantomon again as well.
The Komondomon are going to be useful. But so starts the 'rescue arc' for Hikari!

Yume

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hi Lopmon! Bye Lopmon! I'm guessing he will show up again with Leomon's gang.

It feels weird to see Taichi being so "smart" (smart isn't the word i'm looking for, but oh well). I get that its about his sister, but the way he was able to connect the dots between the second holy Digimon and Hikari, while obvious for us, felt forced. Even Sora didn't think about Hikari when Lopmon confirmed there was an 8th Digimon. I'm still not used to this version's Taichi. He's the most different out of whole cast, in my opinion.

Komondomon are cuter than I thought. Since they have a door and a window, I can't wait to see how they are inside.

Geode

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was an awesome episode love Bakemon > Metalphantomon > Reapermon line, and I didn't know Reapermon can do fire tornado, and Komondomon is good too I love new Digimon.

Darklabo

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
- So SkullPhantomon is now a Perfect level ?
Is it a retcon or an inconsistency ?
I guess I'll have to consider it as Phantomon's X form, from now on, and not as its evolution.

Anyway, I liked Reapermon's first appearance in the anime, even if I would have preferred it to have a little more personality.

- Ophanimon as Hikari's Mega Digimon is finally canon.
At least at 99%.

- The 8 Digimon partners have defeated ZeedMilleniummon ?
That confirms that they are much more powerful than their equivalent from season 1.
Unless they became Omegamon Merciful Mode, even if the scene doesn't show it.

- If I understood correctly, the "new evil" that Lopmon is talking about is not Milleniummon.

Geode

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I also liked the flashback with Zeedmillenniummon reminds me Xross Wars/Fusion and I wonder if Justimon may have a roll in future episodes, I remember back Justimon was like its arch-enemy in Brave Tamer.

Darklabo

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hi Lopmon! Bye Lopmon! I'm guessing he will show up again with Leomon's gang.

It feels weird to see Taichi being so "smart" (smart isn't the word i'm looking for, but oh well). I get that its about his sister, but the way he was able to connect the dots between the second holy Digimon and Hikari, while obvious for us, felt forced. Even Sora didn't think about Hikari when Lopmon confirmed there was an 8th Digimon. I'm still not used to this version's Taichi. He's the most different out of whole cast, in my opinion.

Komondomon are cuter than I thought. Since they have a door and a window, I can't wait to see how they are inside.
There are 8 Digidestined and 8 Digimon facing ZeedMilleniummon.

I don't see how making such an obvious link is forced.
It's a good thing that Tai asks the question, you don't need to have 180 IQ to see a connection.

dgmn

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yes more WarGreymon trounces another opponent again. Love the effective use of Dramon killers on a non-dramon digimon and one handed Gaia Force.

Lore clarification leaves only 1 issue- are there other digimon besides Milleniummon doing the real shots which will appear after it's defeated?

AngelOmega

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I guess I'll have to consider it as Phantomon's X form, from now on, and not as its evolution.

Anyway, I liked Reapermon's first appearance in the anime, even if I would have preferred it to have a little more personality.

At least at 99%.

That confirms that they are much more powerful than their equivalent from season 1.

- If I understood correctly, the "new evil" that Lopmon is talking about is not Milleniummon.
Wasn't MetalPhantomon always a Perfect? Ophanimon is 100% Hikari's mega/ultimate.

In episode 5 we also see Omegamon. So I believe that as we progress we will learn more. I believe that Milleniumon is not going to be Final Villain but the Squid/Deathmon or his Super Ultimate form.

Loved lopmon and the flashback! They really needed and still need to show more of the Past War. Personnally I find it really interesting since it has both milleniumon and Deathmon.

Even if they called Zeed Millenniumon in the end all of its forms are "Millenniumon". I didn't bother much by that. What I found impressive is thay Zeed here was the unchained version which is his strongest form!!

Can not wait for the next episodes. Hope we get more episodes with lore.

Ricardolindo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think this episode was pretty good. It was nice to see the lore exposed and to face more dark Digimon, like the Bakemon and their evolutions. The parallel scene of Koushiro once again talking about the satellites crashing with the ISS and the resulting explosion hiring the Earth and finding out it was Tokyo was refreshing. I'm looking forward to see how the other Digidestined are doing.

BlankShell

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Definitely nice to get some clarification on what's going on as well as the past events. I get the feeling MoonMilleniummon as seen by Hikari is a sort of main hub for all the Millenniummon energy, but since they referred to ZeedMillenniummon as regular Milleniummon, I could be wrong! I wonder too if SkullKnightmon felt Lopmon's "awakening" just because he was connected to Milleniummon or if he is maybe another fallen angel (as I'm assuming Devimon was).

Very nice to see Gokumon, I've always loved their selection. Komondomon pretty great too, no lie.

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
MetalPhantomon has always been Perfect since its debut. People just mistakenly assume it's an Ultimate evolution of Phantomon; even though there isn't a single video game, anime, or card game where that evolution is possible.

Darklabo

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

At least at 99%.

Wasn't MetalPhantomon always a Perfect? Ophanimon is 100% Hikari's mega/ultimate.

In episode 5 we also see Omegamon. So I believe that as we progress we will learn more. I believe that Milleniumon is not going to be Final Villain but the Squid/Deathmon or his Super Ultimate form.

Loved lopmon and the flashback! They really needed and still need to show more of the Past War. Personnally I find it really interesting since it has both milleniumon and Deathmon.

Even if they called Zeed Millenniumon in the end all of its forms are "Millenniumon". I didn't bother much by that. What I found impressive is thay Zeed here was the unchained version which is his strongest form!!

Can not wait for the next episodes. Hope we get more episodes with lore.
MetalPhantomon has always been Perfect since its debut. People just mistakenly assume it's an Ultimate evolution of Phantomon; even though there isn't a single video game, anime, or card game where that evolution is possible.
Looks like you're right about MetalPhantomon (I don't even know why I call it SkullPhantomon), it's definitely a Perfect level.

I had to consider it as a Mega because of a cognitive bias that made me stupidly assume that it could only be the evolution of Phantomon, but after verification this is indeed not the case (even if the Lore links the two Digimon).
The D-Cyber manga where you can see MetalPhantomon putting Omegamon X in trouble didn't help :/

Concerning Ophanimon, it seems to me that this is the very first time in the anime that she is officially considered as Hikari's partner.
Until then, it was Magnadramon her canon Mega.

Notus

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Concerning Ophanimon, it seems to me that this is the very first time in the anime that she is officially considered as Hikari's partner.
Until then, it was Magnadramon her canon Mega.
Mostly, as Tri. did give her Ophanimon Falldown Mode as a dark evolution.

FlareChain

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Better episode than the last, still pretty lackluster. I am not a fan of Wargreymon killing everything in 1 or 2 hits; especially Reapermon is a pretty strong Digimon who should have had a good, reasonable fight with Wargreymon, before he was defeated. Lopmon is pretty cute thou.

DragonicEmperor

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
"We forgot about the plot for 31 episodes so let's give them a boring plot dump and force a boring fight in too."

Bit of a boring plot too. Kerpymon, Seraphimon and Ophanimon (Like in Frontier) once again fight an evil force (Back then it was Lucemon, now Milleniummon). Can't we use something else for once instead of constantly recycling stuff with the same Digimon.

Guess we'll be seeing Omegamon Merciful Mode too then. 8 Chosen Children, 8 Partners. 2 already achieve Omegamon. It's as on the nose as it gets.

Edit: Not sure how it slipped my mind, but it obviously were the Ancients that fought Lucemon. Even if Ophanimon and Seraphimon indirectly still had a fight against an evil force going on, I suppose.

Last edited:

LotusRose

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I honestly wasn't expecting to see WarGreymon again this episode. I think that's part of the problem I have with there being basically no down time between fights in this series. Because I know Agumon got to eat when he devolved, but it still felt to me like he probably should have needed longer to recharge in order to evolve that much again.

Lilimonblooms

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I agree, he keeps on fighting.
It's exhausting because he doesn't seem to get tired.
In the episode we saw him eating and regaining some strength. However I don't feel this could be enough.
However he used a small version of giga force, it could be to conserve energy or because he isn't strong enough to use the big form.
However, it's suspicious that they are not showing yamato even for some seconds.
Is this to create a surprise effect or they are not really thinking about him currently? At least sora is appearing much.
And I'm surprised that garudamon was able to defeat two metalfantomon.
She is getting a good treatment in this series.