Digimon Adventure: Episode 31- A New Darkness, Millenniumon

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 31, A New Darkness, Millenniumon

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 30.

Episode 31 airs Sunday, January 10th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, January 9th, 6:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, January 9th, 9:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, January 10th, 2:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A bit of a data/lore dump means things actually slowed down a bit for an episode that actually felt rather focused in what it wanted to do.

Nice to have Chinami Nishimura back as Lopmon also, her voice works quite well for Lopmon.

The information Lopmon gives mostly clarifies and expands on prior details, while also giving us a cameo for Angewomon, Seraphimon, and Ophanimon.

Having Lopmon get her memories back because of WarGreymon's evolution being a unique event/source of energy was a nice way to do it (including Lopmon pointing out getting those memories back was not a normal event.)

Having Millenniumon be detailed a bit was helpful. Curious to find out if the Moon Millenniumon we've seen so far is some sort of coherent 'thing', or if they've just repurposed Moon to be the shards they've described.

While I'd like to see more of the other kids, I actually think it was mostly to the benefit of the episode that it didn't decide everyone needed a 5 second cameo.

The battle stuff was mostly standard, although seeing WarGreymon fight and use some of his attacks in ways that don't come up that often was a nice touch. (Not sure how I feel about having a WarGreymon evolution the episode after the first one though.)

The various Komondomon just barking after they announced an actor is both hilarious and kind of annoying. (Even though they did announce 'what' he would be saying, it was still a bit 'eh' to have it happen, even though it wasn't a surprise.)

The lore dump gives the show a bit of slowdown, but it 'still' does need an episode where little to nothing action-wise happens. Or at least just has the kids do nothing for 15ish minutes and have a 5 minute fight at the end.

Kuzehiko

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It was a decent episode overall. It didn't tell us anything new that we already knew from past episodes and spoilers. MetalPhantomon and Gokumon made this episode worth watching. Liked the way they were portrayed and how WarGreymon got Gokumon rekt with his Gaia Force. Cherubimon is not a Holy Digimon. He was only the leader of the army along with Valdurmon. Millenniummon's appearance sucked. They could have animated him a lot better imo.

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've always thought MetalPhantomon>Gokumon fits really well, but I never expected it to ever be animated.

Cherubimon is not a Holy Digimon. He was only the leader of the army along with Valdurmon.
They never said that the two roles are mutually-exclusive. I'm pretty sure the Holy Digimon qualify as "Ultimate-level Digimon that lead the Army of Light"; let's not forget that Seraphimon and Ophanimon also first showed up alongside 5 others as a homogeneous group, leading said army.

Last edited:

Kuzehiko

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've always thought MetalPhantomon>Gokumon fits really well, but I never expected it to ever be animated.

Cherubimon is not a Holy Digimon. He was only the leader of the army along with Valdurmon.
They never said that the two roles are mutually-exclusive. I'm pretty sure the Holy Digimon qualify as "Ultimate-level Digimon that lead the Army of Light"; let's not forget that Seraphimon and Ophanimon also first showed up alongside 5 others as a homogeneous group, leading said army.
Following this logic Lopmon should have a human partner too but he does not have one. Lopmon outright stated he was only the leader of the Army of Light and Seraphimon & Ophanimon were the Holy Digimon that fought along with the six legendary Ultimate Digimon. It has not been stated that they were the leaders of the six legendary Ultimate Digimon.

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Following this logic Lopmon should have a human partner too but he does not have one. Lopmon outright stated he was only the leader of the Army of Light and Seraphimon & Ophanimon were the Holy Digimon that fought along with the six legendary Ultimate Digimon. It has not been stated that they were the leaders of the six legendary Ultimate Digimon.
Again, it's not a mutually-exclusive "all or nothing" scenario. As you've said, Seraphimon and Ophanimon are specifically the "Holy Digimon that fought along with the six legendary Ultimate Digimon", but that does not include the "Holy Digimon that did not fight directly alongside the legendary Ultimate Digimon".

They've been leading-on that all 7 are Holy Digimon for nearly 30 episodes. They're not just going to say "Sike, just kidding; they're not" after all this time. Ophanimon and Seraphimon are portrayed in an equal position to the other 5 in their debut. Ophanimon's statue shows up alongside Valdurmon's and Cherubimon's statues. It's only really this specific episode that the two Holy Digimon are particularly singled out.

It's more probable that they're just limiting the term "Holy Digimon" to directly refer to the ones that are directly relevant to the Chosen Children, out of convenience. After all, it would be awkward to keep saying "the specific two Holy Digimon out of the seven" or "the Holy Digimon, but not the 5 that are not related to you".

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Feeling much better with that much needed lore explanation...fairly basic and still plenty of questions remain i.e. who really summons the kids into the digital world; how did evolution occur with those Holy digimon + kids' partner digimons...Oh well I'm satisfied and Wargreymon continues to kick ass:D

Kuzehiko

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Again, it's not a mutually-exclusive "all or nothing" scenario. As you've said, Seraphimon and Ophanimon are specifically the "Holy Digimon that fought along with the six legendary Ultimate Digimon", but that does not include the "Holy Digimon that did not fight directly alongside the legendary Ultimate Digimon".

They've been leading-on that all 7 are Holy Digimon for nearly 30 episodes. They're not just going to say "Sike, just kidding; they're not" after all this time. Ophanimon and Seraphimon are portrayed in an equal position to the other 5 in their debut. Ophanimon's statue shows up alongside Valdurmon's and Cherubimon's statues. It's only really this specific episode that the two Holy Digimon are particularly singled out.

It's more probable that they're just limiting the term "Holy Digimon" to directly refer to the ones that are directly relevant to the Chosen Children, out of convenience. After all, it would be awkward to keep saying "the specific two Holy Digimon out of the seven" or "the Holy Digimon, but not the 5 that are not related to you".
It is just you who is assuming that they were leading the 6 legendary Ultimate Digimon only because they were in the frontline. We don't know that for sure yet. It might be that they were just fighting in the frontline alongside the 6 legendary Ultimate Digimon. Taichi asked Lopmon if there is another Holy Digimon apart from Angemon and he stated yes, the Holy Digimon were a duo. Lopmon does not consider himself a Holy Digimon just the leader of the Army of Light and by Holy Digimon I'm not talking about Cherubimon's group/type but the title of the Holy Digimon in this version. For example, Omegamon classifies as a Holy Knight. RKs are all Holy Knights yet not all the existing Omegamon are Royal Knights. In this universe Cherubimon isn't part of the Holy Digimon. The Holy Digimon are clearly Seraphimon and Ophanimon as stated in this episode that's it.

Tarama

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Because of Lopmon, I want to see the other Archangel's Child form in the series. Hopefully we get to see them.
Meicoomon, Armadimon(?), and a new one?

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It is just you who is assuming that they were leading the 6 legendary Ultimate Digimon only because they were in the frontline. We don't know that for sure yet. It might be that they were just fighting in the frontline alongside the 6 legendary Ultimate Digimon. Taichi asked Lopmon if there is another Holy Digimon apart from Angemon and he stated yes, the Holy Digimon were a duo. Lopmon does not consider himself a Holy Digimon just the leader of the Army of Light and by Holy Digimon I'm not talking about Cherubimon's group/type but the title of the Holy Digimon in this version. For example, Omegamon classifies as a Holy Knight. RKs are all Holy Knights yet not all the existing Omegamon are Royal Knights. In this universe Cherubimon isn't part of the Holy Digimon. The Holy Digimon are clearly Seraphimon and Ophanimon as stated in this episode that's it.
It's become clear that you've made the wrong assumption and created a misunderstanding as a result. I'm not saying they were leading the other 6, nor did I say they were leading the Legendary Ultimates. I said they were leading the Army of Light, which they were undeniably doing in their debut in episode 5. Six individuals does not make an army, but the literal hundreds of Angel Digimon does make an army.

Evidently, being a leader of the army and being a Holy Digimon are not mutually-exclusive. There's no confirmation that Lopmon is the latter, but there is also no confirmation that it's not the latter. Being the former does not exclude the latter, as Seraphimon and Ophanimon are both the former and the latter.

Last edited:

Eitaroutarouman

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
SkullKnightmon reacted to Lopmon's awakening just like Patamon. Those theories continue to be likely.

Amandil7

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Finally the kind of lore dump I was hoping for! It's been since ep 5 since we expanded on the Ancient War

It was great seeing the Three Great Angels (two of them as silhouettes)! That was my favorite part, the flashback.

Lopmon was a tiny badass and I loved it!

The battle itself was pretty meh compared to others we've seen, I wish Reapermon put up more of a fight as I was looking forward to it's anime debut.

It was noticeable that both Patamon and SkullKnightmon reacted to Lopmon glowing, which again favors the Gatomon theory.

I'm excited for this show again.

Golden_Fate

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Lopmon is getting some real love this season and that makes me so happy to see. And we got little cameo's from his entire line too!? That's so great! I hope he sticks around for a while longer! Here's hoping if Cherubimon makes a return he doesn't turn evil XD;;

Naal

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Kind of disappointed that the only sound that came out from Komondomon was just barking. I assumed he would talk because they announced its voice actor after all. Oh well.

The lore dump was a much needed thing, even though it only added a little to what we already knew. I thought the Holy Digimon was the 7 shown in episode 5, since they were depicted to be of the same status (pretty much, even when Valdrmon seemed to be the most important member). That could be the reason Patamon retained (some?) of its old memories. Okay then.

WarGreymon appearing again was too much for me. The rest of the episode was okay, I guess. I had some issues here and there like usual, but nothing too major.

SkullKnightmon reacted to Lopmon's awakening just like Patamon. Those theories continue to be likely.
I thought the theory said that DarkMaildramon is Tailmon, not SkullKnightmon.
There's that, too, and there's a theory that it's SkullKnightmon who actually was Tailmon.

Ragnalord

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Feeling much better with that much needed lore explanation...fairly basic and still plenty of questions remain i.e. who really summons the kids into the digital world; how did evolution occur with those Holy digimon + kids' partner digimons...Oh well I'm satisfied and Wargreymon continues to kick ass:D
Isn't it mentioned by Lopmon that valdurmon is the one who summoned the kids

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I thought WarGreymon's evolution transformation was going to show up with the completed version for removing the WarGreymon name banner and had Taichi in Savers style but nope it's same version. Weird it does feel like it's still incomplete due to it didn't show the digivice after all.

Lopmon floating.... Rather than gliding, I still view it as lazy animation. But Plotmon, Lopmon and Patamon sure have powerful abilities in this season eh?

No Fantomon? THEY DIDN'T APPEAR IN THIS EPISODE? WHAT THE HADES?

Komonomon have two different helmet designs... The leader and the squad I guess? Oh they are like land version of Air fan boats on the swamp! But way faster than SandCrawlers of Star Wars and Appa! I guess Komonomon is digimon alright.

Gokumon's fire tornado sure gave me terrible memories when I first fought him in Rumble.

So that was ZeedMilleniummon? Without... The seals?

Weird today there were no signs of Yamato, Jou and others...

Lilimonblooms

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The episode was good, i liked all the info revealed about the enemy and the cameo of angewomon/angemon.
The battle against metalfantomon was good too.
However I find it weird that yamato is not appearing at all, it has been 4 or 5 episodes.
I'm starting to think taichi is the only main character.
However im glad sora is appearing regularly as well as garudamon, even though they should give her a new attack other than shadow wing.
This episode is foreshadowing a big role for the angels digimon!

Koushirou Izumi

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We all know that the lore-dump added so little information to what we already knew/expected but GODDAMN DID IT FEEL GREAT TO REMEMBER WE HAD AN ACTUAL PLOT AND EXPAND ON IT.

yes with Adventure 2020, I'm happy with the bare minimum because we don't usually get it at all. And you know what the show is a lot more enjoyable when we don't compare it to the original adventure which had 8 main characters and just accept that this version only has one which is clearly Taichi. Even in the synopsis for upcoming episodes, they keep saying "Taichi and co" instead of "Chosen ones" and I think I get it now :LOL:

Anyway, super looking forward to what happens next with Hikari and Skullknightmon as well as the reunion with the other kids.

Tarama

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If only Pendulum Z didn't tease SlashAngemon as Armadimon's Ultimate, I would theorize that SlashAngemon's Child form in this series is Spadamon.