Digimon Adventure: Episode 30- The Mega Digimon, WarGreymon

FlareChain

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Much like Adventure: as a whole, this episode was a let down in almost every possible way, not even holding off on the expensive animation until AFTER WarGreymon appears. No, you cannot trick me with a new insert song and nicely drawn static shots of WarGreymon, TOEI.

Let's analyze the original WarGreymon debut and this new one.

The writers seem to believe that working together with your partner Digimon in a battle every episode, is the same as developing a deep emotional bond. While that can be a large part of it, even the single two most featured characters, Taichi and Agumon, have no real depth to their partnership. It can be argued that the deepest of bonds can be forged in the heat of battle... but remember that Taichi and Yamato knew each other for 5 minutes before fist bumping Omegamon into existence.

Anyway, the inherent problem stems from an episode structure that has consistently consisted of:

1. We're given the stakes and the mission to accomplish, whether to get from point A to point B within the Digital World, or something in the real world is gonna go boom if they don't stop the enemy Digimon.

2. Enemy Digimon attacks.

3. Taichi and/or Yamato fight and are backed into a corner and seemingly can't win.

4. "No, we can win if we believe in each other... and totally get serious!"

5. They win.

This is not character growth and NOT what should be pointed to when trying to demonstrate a bond. Yeah, am I able to believe on a surface level that Taichi and Agumon care for each other? Sure, but give me, the viewer, something to cling to other than battles.

But yeah. let me be perfectly clear here:

The Adventure: WarGreymon debut fails on many levels. It may have featured better animation, but that's it, and frankly... I'd take the original any day. Go ahead and try to dismiss all of this as simply me being some guy that is nostalgic for the original, but it's painfully obvious that this reboot has maybe a shred of emotion woven into it like the original. See, the original WarGreymon/MetalGarurumon debut had huge stakes that were literally:

Our friends and family are going to be killed, the situation is out of control, and even our most powerful HOLY Digimon are proving to be ineffective against VenomVamdemon, who is at a level we didn't know existed. Oh? A cryptic message says to have ourselves shot with arrows of light and hope? FUCK IT! DO IT NOW, WE'RE SCREWED AS IS!

Digimon Adventure: had the benefit of writing a plot that is not only able to pull from 20 years worth of new content, but to also resolve the flaws within the original Adventure series. It has failed to do any of this, and that is a damn shame.

Yea this is exactly my problem with the new reboot esentially.
And this very episode perfectly summarized everything going wrong in the new reboot so far. All this is about is Taichi and Agumon, and even then they fail with establishing them as characters well into this new anime. I started giggling a little when they tried to show us the flashbacks of Agumon and Taichi - why would I care about their bond when all their bond is, "Taichi sits on Greymon/Metalgreymons head and shouts his name while he fights"; this was simply hilarious. They didnt grow together as characters, all they did was fight. Why would I be emotionally attatched to that? Why would I feel sorry or sad for them?
The series does a horrible job at establishing their bonds so far. Taichi is basically always, "lets fight, no matter what happens!", while carrying the thickest plotarmor alive by just not getting hurt at all by various attacks from the enemies. The guy should have been DEAD the moment Parrotmons lightning hit Metalgreymon, but no, he remains completely fine. And WHY ON EARTH does Metalgreymon have an unlimited power supply? He can suffer from major injuries and still stand there, still fighting. Apparently he doesnt have to eat, he doesnt have to rest and whenever he digivolves back to Agumon, it only takes like 5 Minutes till he is completely powered up again. S a y w h a t?

Guys, this is Digimon Adventure:. This season is more action focused. The original was more character based, and this one is more action based. Can't we be glad we have both? Wouldn't it be worse to only have seasons with no action, or only seasons with character development? Still, I understand character development can be more satisfying.
And yet, since the show is more action packed, you could consider that the Digimon partners are getting more time to shine. They are the ones getting character development, and not the humans. Its not a bad thing. I never really cared about Garudamon, but seeing her get a chance to kick butt this time around makes me more exited to see Piyomon and Sora. I get exited when Tokomon or Patamon show off those holy powers, not when Takeru talks. On the other hand, in the original adventure, Gabumon and Patamon were cool, but I was more interested in Yamato and Takeru's family drama. We have the best of both worlds. A season focused on the humans, and a series focused on the Digimon. At least its how I see things now.

I also don't think Taichi needs to earn the new evolution. It's not about Taichi. Its about Taichi AND Agumon. The two of them always working together no matter what. Both Agumon and Taichi have shown courage throughout the show. Why can't effort and determination be a good motive to unlock a new evolution?

It was a nice episode. In many other types of media, you see te enemy taking turns to attack the hero individually, so its nice to see a main character get targeted by so many enemies at the same time. And yet I'd say four Megadramon would wipe the floor with Garudamon, but as I said before, it just makes me apreciate Garudamon a bit more.

Say something, Lopmon!
Even if this season is more action based, this is not an excuse for bad character writing and numerous plotholes left unexplained. Jjba is my favourite anime, which also follows the "monster of the week" style since Part 3+ and its fights are the core of the anime, yet the characters dont feel like shallow, wet, empty cardboard boxes with no personality whatsoever. The characters have various traits, they do all interact properly with one another and many of them have a decently written character arc that justifies their actions and their gains in the end. So I dont see why Adventure 2020 shouldnt also have good characters with a somewhat decent development. But I doubt we will get one.

From the very first episode one, Taichi was the brave, hot headed person that will just storm into every fight without thinking too much about it. He doesnt get punished for his reckless actions, he doesnt suffer any kind of injuries or witnesses any tragic events what would help him grow as a character. We dont see him struggle a lot, we dont see him being scares, we dont see anything negative about him.
In Adventure, he had a decent development, events like Skullgreymon or the whole Pietmon drama at the end made him take a step back and rethink his actions. He got punished for stupid decisions, he talked to other people, making him understand more of the world around him and taking more care about other different things before just going out and fight.
In this very episode, he and Agumon were defeated by Crossmon, yet he doesnt take a step back and rethinks his approach, instead it only takes like 2 seconds for him to regain his confidence and fight in the same way he did before again.

And it's not like the fights are even cleverly fleshed out with some kind of tension built into them. Its basically always charging attack in the most offensive way possible. There is no strategy used here and a rethinking of their approaches. And why not? Because Wargreymon one shottet Crossmon anyways. Great and surprising fight, woohoo.
And even if you insist that this anime is simply there for the fights, then they should stop trying to shove emotional scenes into it with a reminder, "omg look how they grew despite them not having grown at all! Now feel some emotion and ignore the lackluster writing we provided so far!"; and even after that you should at least admit that there is waaay too much Taichi and Agumon action.

I cant stand looking at Agumon and Taichi anymore - why did the creators even bother with creating 8 digi-destined if 7 of them are basically non-existant? It just doesnt work. None of them grew as people; especially people like Sora, Yoe and Mimi just feel so useless in this show. They barely interact with each other and it kind of hurts to see all of that. Dropping the entirety of the character arc and potential backstories like the one for Izzy in favor of just always fighting seems like a really depressing choice for me, especially since the fighting scenes arent even that much of a treat (and like I said earlier, when shows that got the same core like JoJo do a much much better job at still establishing characters and a story around all the fighting etc. )

So far the reboot is just disappointing and I dont expect for it to get better, I dont expect that we will get good character arcs or good character interactions.

AngelOmega

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The evolution was epic and gorgeous! Partner Digimon always are stronger than the ones without and almost always don't die. Here the crest of Courage protected both Taichi and Agumon. I liked that Taichi noticed the Crest. I believe in the next episodes the meaning of the Crests will come to play. Taichi's crest power is Courage and is more straight forward than the others.

Isn't Taichi based in V-Tamer Taichi? If I remember correctly their personalities are close and that's why he is so different from the original Adventure and here is the main character. For me its ok that the episode focuses on Tai since its WarGreymon debut. Next episodes will focus on others. Also, Crossmon was one shotted and its ok since WarGreymon here is one of the 6 Legendary Warrior Digimon. Of course he would be strong. Not to mention that even in the past series all the evolutions in their debut seemed stronger and in most cases one shotted their opponents. I agree that the show needs to improve the character development aspect but I like it mostly so far.

Liked that Lopmon is going to play a role. I believe we will see the other Holy Digimon too in their rookie forms.

Brubarb

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Much like Adventure: as a whole, this episode was a let down in almost every possible way, not even holding off on the expensive animation until AFTER WarGreymon appears. No, you cannot trick me with a new insert song and nicely drawn static shots of WarGreymon, TOEI.

The writers seem to believe that working together with your partner Digimon in a battle every episode, is the same as developing a deep emotional bond. While that can be a large part of it, even the single two most featured characters, Taichi and Agumon, have no real depth to their partnership. It can be argued that the deepest of bonds can be forged in the heat of battle... but remember that Taichi and Yamato knew each other for 5 minutes before fist bumping Omegamon into existence.

Anyway, the inherent problem stems from an episode structure that has consistently consisted of:

1. We're given the stakes and the mission to accomplish, whether to get from point A to point B within the Digital World, or something in the real world is gonna go boom if they don't stop the enemy Digimon.

3. Taichi and/or Yamato fight and are backed into a corner and seemingly can't win.

5. They win.

This is not character growth and NOT what should be pointed to when trying to demonstrate a bond. Yeah, am I able to believe on a surface level that Taichi and Agumon care for each other? Sure, but give me, the viewer, something to cling to other than battles.

The Adventure: WarGreymon debut fails on many levels. It may have featured better animation, but that's it, and frankly... I'd take the original any day. Go ahead and try to dismiss all of this as simply me being some guy that is nostalgic for the original, but it's painfully obvious that this reboot has maybe a shred of emotion woven into it like the original. See, the original WarGreymon/MetalGarurumon debut had huge stakes that were literally:

Our friends and family are going to be killed, the situation is out of control, and even our most powerful HOLY Digimon are proving to be ineffective against VenomVamdemon, who is at a level we didn't know existed. Oh? A cryptic message says to have ourselves shot with arrows of light and hope? FUCK IT! DO IT NOW, WE'RE SCREWED AS IS!

Digimon Adventure: had the benefit of writing a plot that is not only able to pull from 20 years worth of new content, but to also resolve the flaws within the original Adventure series. It has failed to do any of this, and that is a damn shame.

And this very episode perfectly summarized everything going wrong in the new reboot so far. All this is about is Taichi and Agumon, and even then they fail with establishing them as characters well into this new anime. I started giggling a little when they tried to show us the flashbacks of Agumon and Taichi - why would I care about their bond when all their bond is, "Taichi sits on Greymon/Metalgreymons head and shouts his name while he fights"; this was simply hilarious. They didnt grow together as characters, all they did was fight. Why would I be emotionally attatched to that? Why would I feel sorry or sad for them?
The series does a horrible job at establishing their bonds so far. Taichi is basically always, "lets fight, no matter what happens!", while carrying the thickest plotarmor alive by just not getting hurt at all by various attacks from the enemies. The guy should have been DEAD the moment Parrotmons lightning hit Metalgreymon, but no, he remains completely fine. And WHY ON EARTH does Metalgreymon have an unlimited power supply? He can suffer from major injuries and still stand there, still fighting. Apparently he doesnt have to eat, he doesnt have to rest and whenever he digivolves back to Agumon, it only takes like 5 Minutes till he is completely powered up again. S a y w h a t?

Guys, this is Digimon Adventure:. This season is more action focused. The original was more character based, and this one is more action based. Can't we be glad we have both? Wouldn't it be worse to only have seasons with no action, or only seasons with character development? Still, I understand character development can be more satisfying.
And yet, since the show is more action packed, you could consider that the Digimon partners are getting more time to shine. They are the ones getting character development, and not the humans. Its not a bad thing. I never really cared about Garudamon, but seeing her get a chance to kick butt this time around makes me more exited to see Piyomon and Sora. I get exited when Tokomon or Patamon show off those holy powers, not when Takeru talks. On the other hand, in the original adventure, Gabumon and Patamon were cool, but I was more interested in Yamato and Takeru's family drama. We have the best of both worlds. A season focused on the humans, and a series focused on the Digimon. At least its how I see things now.

I also don't think Taichi needs to earn the new evolution. It's not about Taichi. Its about Taichi AND Agumon. The two of them always working together no matter what. Both Agumon and Taichi have shown courage throughout the show. Why can't effort and determination be a good motive to unlock a new evolution?

It was a nice episode. In many other types of media, you see te enemy taking turns to attack the hero individually, so its nice to see a main character get targeted by so many enemies at the same time. And yet I'd say four Megadramon would wipe the floor with Garudamon, but as I said before, it just makes me apreciate Garudamon a bit more.

Say something, Lopmon!
Even if this season is more action based, this is not an excuse for bad character writing and numerous plotholes left unexplained. Jjba is my favourite anime, which also follows the "monster of the week" style since Part 3+ and its fights are the core of the anime, yet the characters dont feel like shallow, wet, empty cardboard boxes with no personality whatsoever. The characters have various traits, they do all interact properly with one another and many of them have a decently written character arc that justifies their actions and their gains in the end. So I dont see why Adventure 2020 shouldnt also have good characters with a somewhat decent development. But I doubt we will get one.

From the very first episode one, Taichi was the brave, hot headed person that will just storm into every fight without thinking too much about it. He doesnt get punished for his reckless actions, he doesnt suffer any kind of injuries or witnesses any tragic events what would help him grow as a character. We dont see him struggle a lot, we dont see him being scares, we dont see anything negative about him.
In Adventure, he had a decent development, events like Skullgreymon or the whole Pietmon drama at the end made him take a step back and rethink his actions. He got punished for stupid decisions, he talked to other people, making him understand more of the world around him and taking more care about other different things before just going out and fight.
In this very episode, he and Agumon were defeated by Crossmon, yet he doesnt take a step back and rethinks his approach, instead it only takes like 2 seconds for him to regain his confidence and fight in the same way he did before again.

And it's not like the fights are even cleverly fleshed out with some kind of tension built into them. Its basically always charging attack in the most offensive way possible. There is no strategy used here and a rethinking of their approaches. And why not? Because Wargreymon one shottet Crossmon anyways. Great and surprising fight, woohoo.
And even if you insist that this anime is simply there for the fights, then they should stop trying to shove emotional scenes into it with a reminder, "omg look how they grew despite them not having grown at all! Now feel some emotion and ignore the lackluster writing we provided so far!"; and even after that you should at least admit that there is waaay too much Taichi and Agumon action.

I cant stand looking at Agumon and Taichi anymore - why did the creators even bother with creating 8 digi-destined if 7 of them are basically non-existant? It just doesnt work. None of them grew as people; especially people like Sora, Yoe and Mimi just feel so useless in this show. They barely interact with each other and it kind of hurts to see all of that. Dropping the entirety of the character arc and potential backstories like the one for Izzy in favor of just always fighting seems like a really depressing choice for me, especially since the fighting scenes arent even that much of a treat (and like I said earlier, when shows that got the same core like JoJo do a much much better job at still establishing characters and a story around all the fighting etc. )

So far the reboot is just disappointing and I dont expect for it to get better, I dont expect that we will get good character arcs or good character interactions.
This has been bothering me week after week, but I think after this episode, I've decided to take it for what it is. One way to see it is that the kids themselves don't have time for character development because there's always a crisis. They don't have time to sit back and relax for a breather because they have to fight or they die. And I know you made a comparison with JoJo. In JoJo, the characters are old enough or gifted enough to make extremely strategical decisions based on their personalities. In DA2020, they're just elementary kids relying on their digimon to do the job. They never command the digimon to attack strategically or dodge like in pokemon battles, the digimon are the brains and brawns, and the kids are just there to supply power I guess. Although, I did like the episode when MegaKabuterimon first appeared and Koushirou had to come up with a plan against the Kuwagamon. That was nice. I would still definitely like to see all the characters in the limelight though. Hopefully that happens soon!

FlareChain

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

5. They win.

Say something, Lopmon!

This has been bothering me week after week, but I think after this episode, I've decided to take it for what it is. One way to see it is that the kids themselves don't have time for character development because there's always a crisis. They don't have time to sit back and relax for a breather because they have to fight or they die. And I know you made a comparison with JoJo. In JoJo, the characters are old enough or gifted enough to make extremely strategical decisions based on their personalities. In DA2020, they're just elementary kids relying on their digimon to do the job. They never command the digimon to attack strategically or dodge like in pokemon battles, the digimon are the brains and brawns, and the kids are just there to supply power I guess. Although, I did like the episode when MegaKabuterimon first appeared and Koushirou had to come up with a plan against the Kuwagamon. That was nice. I would still definitely like to see all the characters in the limelight though. Hopefully that happens soon!
Yea I guess that makes some sort of sense - but it's still very unpleasant to see and I dont really want to watch a show and think to myself: "Ok, lower your expectations into nothingness, turn off your brain and just enjoy the flashy fights!", which I mean, would be fine but idk, maybe its just me having a problem with seeing Digimon just as a slaughter festival, since I really really loved the characters & their development + story in Tamers, Frontier and Savers. I want the characters to interact, I want the Digimon to be more than just a machine to fight, I want them to help the kids to grow as people and maybe sometimes even calling them out and telling them when they did something wrong, like Palmon and Gomamon did in the original Adventure for example or Wormmon in 02, which was just great - but in the reboot I feel like that in comparisson, even Pokemon Trainers got a stronger and more believeable bond with their Pokemon than the digidestined with their partners, and that shouldnt be the case imo.

Also I personally think the villains and enemies should have some sort of personality. The only other Digimon, that sticks out for me was Ogremon, but all the other villains were stripped off any personality - even Devimon I dont remember what it was like, despite the fact it talked. Adventure villains were never too great, but at least I still remember Etemon even after all these years because he was such a goofy, funny and entertaining villain who made me laugh/smile. And Myotismon was also pretty great; unfortunately I dont think we will be getting him in the reboot, and I also think that Gatomon will not have nearly as much of a character arc and redemption as she had in the original, which is very unfortunate, since I love the Gatomon arc in the original Adventure.

Snorki McBolderbast

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I realized I disagreed with most everything in this post by Yume.

Well, first of all - a nice balance between action and character-development would be optimal. Why would we be glad that Adventure Colon pretty much has 100% action and 0% character? You'll find that the best action movies have characters and a story that's interesting. You need character in order to get invested in the action. Without characters, every action scene is just two two-dimensional drawings fighting.

And yet, since the show is more action packed, you could consider that the Digimon partners are getting more time to shine. They are the ones getting character development, and not the humans. Its not a bad thing.
Action scenes with mindless fighting isn't character development, though. I agree that the Digimons getting development is a good thing. However, I'm not getting that from Adventure Colon. Now, 8 humans and 8 partners make 16 characters - that's a lot if there's going to be character development for all of them. So why did they have to include all of them in this show? This reboot is flawed from the ground up. Rather than making a handful well-developed characters, they prioritized having all of them, seemingly just because of nostalgia. I'd rather have them use a smaller cast of new characters who are more well-developed.

I never really cared about Garudamon, but seeing her get a chance to kick butt this time around makes me more exited to see Piyomon and Sora. I get exited when Tokomon or Patamon show off those holy powers, not when Takeru talks. On the other hand, in the original adventure, Gabumon and Patamon were cool, but I was more interested in Yamato and Takeru's family drama. We have the best of both worlds. A season focused on the humans, and a series focused on the Digimon. At least its how I see things now.
I suspect that your lack of excitement when Colon-Takeru talks stems from the fact that his dialogue isn't written that well. As you say, Yamato and Takeru's family drama was interesting in the original... because they were developed characters. Their current incarnations are not. They're hollow copies.

I can't relate to your excitement over the action scenes since there aren't any stakes in them. There's no risk when Garudamon or Patamon fight. They're basically two invincible monsters fighting maggots. There's no danger. It's like swatting flies. Why would anyone be excited over that?

As I said before, this is far from the best of both worlds. The current incarnation of the Digimon are not developed. Just because we see them fight more, doesn't mean that we know more about them. I've seen the Colon-MetalGreymon's metal claw extend a dozen times, yet I don't know anything about him other than that he likes Taichi and that he's really into fighting.

Your logic here is flawed. If it's about Taichi and Agumon, then those two together should earn the new evolution. Which is what most critics of the show (including me) are saying too.
Throughout the season, all Taichi and Agumon have done is fight together and never give up. There is never any progression, never any growth, never any development. They are just doing the same thing they've always done. That's not earning a step forward. There is nothing pushing them to the next step, which is why they should be stagnant, yet they somehow unlock a new evolution.

I agree - four MegaDramon would wipe the floor with Garudamon. The difference is that I lose interest in the show, since the stakes are non-existent and I have no idea what the writers are thinking.

Last edited:

Yume

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I realized I disagreed with most everything in this post by Yume.
That is totally fine, but I am just sharing my point of view and personal opinion.

Of course there are series out there with both cool fights and character development. There are also series with neither of those.

And I agree with everything you said. There are no stakes and character development here. I've complained about that before. It got me nowhere. Of course I'd prefer if the show had character development and memorable villains, but so far we didn't get that. And yet I love Digimon, so I rather have a bad Digimon season than no season at all.

This is a poorly written show aimed at younger kids. Should it still follow some logic and have some traits good shows have? Sure, but I'll still get excited about it if it doesn't.

Snorki McBolderbast

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That is totally fine, but I am just sharing my point of view and personal opinion.

Of course there are series out there with both cool fights and character development. There are also series with neither of those.

And I agree with everything you said. There are no stakes and character development here. I've complained about that before. It got me nowhere. Of course I'd prefer if the show had character development and memorable villains, but so far we didn't get that. And yet I love Digimon, so I rather have a bad Digimon season than no season at all.

This is a poorly written show aimed at younger kids. Should it still follow some logic and have some traits good shows have? Sure, but I'll still get excited about it if it doesn't.
I'm glad that we understand each other!
To clarify: of course people should enjoy and like the show if that's how they feel about it. I just don't think we should file this show in the "quality"-category - it could be so much better, and I wish it was.

Last edited:

educhavez

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Imo, MetalGreymon (2020) felt more "earned/deserved" than WarGreymon (2020).

Mon-Ohma

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Now in XXL size.

----

In this episode a Parrotmon briefly shows up so the reboot can once again play off our nostalgia, and apparently the Allomon are democratic enough to let some Looney Tunesesque Vegimon tell them what to do, since I can't see any indication they are meant to be part of the antagonist's forces.

Well the purposes of bringing in Sora last week become clear now. They needed someone to dump the Woodmon/Budmon/Lopmon off on in order to allow Taichi and Agumon the freedom to go and get in over their heads. Just like last time, and the time before that, etcetera...

Naturally Crossmon's attack isn't fatal enough to stop Taichi from going through a montage of flashbacks, which serve to remind us how much his character 'hasn't' grown, but will still get an evolution served to him on a platter regardless.

After some more mindless action sequences and statements of determination, Wargreymon properly shows up to overblown fanfare. The most likely reason why they made him a lot bigger then the original is so Taichi can continue to ride around on his shoulder like a tit. As opposed to sitting astride them, like a tit.
To no one's surprise, Wargreymon no-sells everything thrown at him, before one-shotting the baddies. Which in all fairness is pretty bog standard for this show. If anything I found Garudamon's battle with the Megadramon earlier marginally more entertaining.

Meanwhile, Koushiro continues to stare at a computer screen...

----

Having not ridden the Wargreymon hype-train to begin with, it was pretty much a given I wasn't going to be terribly invested (any more so then usual) with this episode. In fact I successfully managed to predict a good eighty-five percent of it's plot beforehand.
In addition (and as I also suspected in advance) the requirements for achieving Ultimate weren't really any different to the previous two levels. The narrative needed them to do it, so now they can.

Now I understand that 'never giving up and believing in yourself' in the face of insurmountable odds is a well honoured tradition in Japanese media. But the fact they insist on pulling this trick virtually every episode with Taichi and Agumon and expect me to be continuously impressed by it, is rather taking the piss. If anything it's bordering on self-parody by this point...

"Pay no attention to me, I definitely have no important role...honest..."

Last edited:

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Give them vodka, they're telling the truth!

Regarding silent villains, I suspect they're brainwashed and that's why they do not talk but rather mindlessly follow their orders. Look at Vegiemon in this episode - for me it's not that he didn't want to talk, for me it looked as if he was unable to talk despite wanting to talk. As if someone would cut their tongue. On the other hand, SkullKnightmon/DarkKnightmon was never a talkative Digimon, so I think it would be more stupid and out of his character if he suddenly would start talking and explaining things.

Eitaroutarouman

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Give them vodka, they're telling the truth!

Regarding silent villains, I suspect they're brainwashed and that's why they do not talk but rather mindlessly follow their orders. Look at Vegiemon in this episode - for me it's not that he didn't want to talk, for me it looked as if he was unable to talk despite wanting to talk. As if someone would cut their tongue. On the other hand, SkullKnightmon/DarkKnightmon was never a talkative Digimon, so I think it would be more stupid and out of his character if he suddenly would start talking and explaining things.
I dunno. Vegiemon was awfully expressive for someone "brainwashed or mindless".

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Deion123

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode is basically episode 10 but awesome imo. This episode was nearly perfect to me. I don’t care about how the OG did it anymore because I see it as deus ex machina garbage in my opinion(and I loved that scene as a kid!). It’s natural progression and that’s all I need now. Not some BS pulled at the last second just to win a battle. Then IMMEDIATELY get clobbered after, instantly making WG’s debut mean seemingly nothing. Sorry Hikari, we don’t need your plot power this time, but thanks for the help before and actually building up Wargreymon tho and showing that something as simple as determination can be a driving force from a kid’s perspective of today and that we don’t have to do a by-the-book character study!

Also Lopmon is cute... 9/10! Kinda sad that some peeps are basically ghosting this show now like an ex because it doesn’t do things how THEY want...*sigh* Oh well...opinions are opinions after all. For me, this episode is the reason why I love Digimon 2020 much more than the OG. It’s incredibly flashy when it needs to be. If not, that’s cool too! It’s capable of writing likable characters as well. Overall this series so far is 9/10! I’m so happy right now!

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wait. Did I forget to say something? OK. *ahem* At least we got WarGreymon. And Crossmon. That was cool. ...I wonder what's going to happen next.

MFbM

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Remember the "drooling" Snimon and Ogremon when they debut in episode 4? Hinting at something, and then, nothing related happened? Remember Soundbirdmon controlling Digimon under Devimon, and then not used anymore even when Devimon is still around? The only consistent thing in this series is the "miasma" and now they are apparently using the "dark lightning" to turn some Digimon into violent or Evolving, let's see how long that one will stay in the following episodes.

Lord Bearmon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Remember the "drooling" Snimon and Ogremon when they debut in episode 4? Hinting at something, and then, nothing related happened? Remember Soundbirdmon controlling Digimon under Devimon, and then not used anymore even when Devimon is still around? The only consistent thing in this series is the "miasma" and now they are apparently using the "dark lightning" to turn some Digimon into violent or Evolving, let's see how long that one will stay in the following episodes.
Drooling is normal especially when their mouth is open the whole time and the former was literally trying to eat them. Soundbirdmon was gone after Eyesmon's defeat, hinting that those two were maybe related although were not mentioned. The miasma was gone after Devimon's defeat, he absorbed all the miasma when he evolved into DoneDevimon. The black lightning originates from MoonMilleniummon, and it was first introduced when SkullKnightmon evolve. I believe they will stop using the black lightning when Milleniummon dies.

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I believe they will stop using the black lightning when Milleniummon dies.
Provided ZeedMillenniummon is not the final villain but there is someone else that's controlling or using him.

Lilimonblooms

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wait. Did I forget to say something? OK. *ahem* At least we got WarGreymon. And Crossmon. That was cool. ...I wonder what's going to happen next.
Yamato will fight next for sure!
I think angewomon too will be introduced soon.
Wargreymon will fight too in the next episode and probably using more attacks.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
...First we'll have to get Gatomon. But I think we all figured MetalGarurumon is next. But when.