Digimon Adventure: Episode 30- The Mega Digimon, WarGreymon

Amandil7

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I mostly liked this episode despite some flaws.

I've said it before, the show keeps using flashbacks to substitute substantial character moments and it is a very cheap gimmick!

Wargreymon was impressive as one would expect, but we've seen him twice before in silhouette form, and while it worked with DoneDevimon, repeating it a second time lessened the eventual impact now.

On the plus side, the animation was epic and Wargreymon was proper imposing, the huge size and the radius of that Terra Force, I'm sure that will go well with most fans. The song worked well enough too.

The Parrotmon nostalgia stuff would've worked better had we just not already seen it again but I LOVE that Crossmon appeared, it seemed fitting for Agumon's Mega debut. I can't wait to see what Mega enemies they come up for the rest! (tbh that's what I'm most excited about).

I'm glad Lopmon is seemingly more significant than just a cameo and was probably the Cherubimon we saw among the 7 Holy Digimon.

dgmn

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
WarGreymon finally appeared with epic song. That's the best thing about him being better introduced than any other Chosen digimon so far.

Epic fight and his power display although I would have preferred fight elements from MetalGreymon-Eaglemon fight were given to WarGreymon.

Also, his size awed and surprised me, but I still like it because trees look more sequoia size and it seems digital world is far bigger than '99 version.

Yume

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Guys, this is Digimon Adventure:. This season is more action focused. The original was more character based, and this one is more action based. Can't we be glad we have both? Wouldn't it be worse to only have seasons with no action, or only seasons with character development? Still, I understand character development can be more satisfying.
And yet, since the show is more action packed, you could consider that the Digimon partners are getting more time to shine. They are the ones getting character development, and not the humans. Its not a bad thing. I never really cared about Garudamon, but seeing her get a chance to kick butt this time around makes me more exited to see Piyomon and Sora. I get exited when Tokomon or Patamon show off those holy powers, not when Takeru talks. On the other hand, in the original adventure, Gabumon and Patamon were cool, but I was more interested in Yamato and Takeru's family drama. We have the best of both worlds. A season focused on the humans, and a series focused on the Digimon. At least its how I see things now.

I also don't think Taichi needs to earn the new evolution. It's not about Taichi. Its about Taichi AND Agumon. The two of them always working together no matter what. Both Agumon and Taichi have shown courage throughout the show. Why can't effort and determination be a good motive to unlock a new evolution?

It was a nice episode. In many other types of media, you see te enemy taking turns to attack the hero individually, so its nice to see a main character get targeted by so many enemies at the same time. And yet I'd say four Megadramon would wipe the floor with Garudamon, but as I said before, it just makes me apreciate Garudamon a bit more.

Say something, Lopmon!

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh so Lopmon didn't vanish off during the end of that episode 29.

So Vegiemon leading the army of Allomon was so random after Tankdramon got deleted. How did Vegiemon got to be the leader even in this harsh land....? Oh come on......

Damn, those satellite meteors? Now that is pretty scary from building up boat crash explosions to this... Such big gap.

So Crossmon's head is like samurai helmet? Or due to misshaped appearance? Or what?

MetalGreymon to Wargreymon in evolution transformation is just whoa and awesome! Look like MetalGreymon evolving that resembles strongly to the transformation toy. The way MetalGreymon opened the mouth then the bottom jaw transformed into Wargreymon's armor chest and the helmet became the shield wings and the cyborg chest transformed into... The armor loincloth and armor pad legs? That's pretty good creative.

Allomon army faced... The extinction. So that's how the dinosaurs felt it when they witnessed their deaths upon staring at the meteor falling to crash?

Garudamon took few Megadramons down like nothing... But Sora still can survive "Shadow Wing" how?!! Tch logic. Like Taichi survived big fall from Crossmon's throws.

Hey did anybody notice this familiar canyon land when SkullKnightmon and Hikari passed over there? It's reminding me of DW1 canyon map....

I wonder if Lopmon is wandering into Woodmon and Budmon's group before Tankdramon's arrival? I mean it's pretty odd for Lopmon to be grouped with them. Oh yeah great animation huh

omegalucas

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So, is it just me or WarGreymon's evolution sequence has some references to the Agumon-WarGreymon Digivolving toy?

The head opens up to reveal the torso (at the exact same angle) and forms the wings, the shin armor pieces first appear over the thighs and slide down to their position, and the Dramon Killer claws have to be extended.

Last edited:

DragonicEmperor

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Jesus, WarGreymon is an absolute unit here.

Anyways, at this point it's just enjoy the flash fights and the episodes with good animation because this show is nothing else. And that's okay, but let's not pretend that it's more than that and we should be fine.

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The Megas are here at last. I did enjoy the build-up with all the flashbacks to Taichi and Agumon's previous fights and the fight between Crossmon and MetalGreymon was cool. The transformation into WarGreymon was gorgeous and the sheer destruction he caused with Gaia Force was epic and showed just how powerful Megas are.

Interesting that next week doesn't appear to be another Evolution episode judging by the title. Hopefully they're spreading them out bit since we still have so many episodes left to go.

ShogunMamemon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
RIP Vegimon. He just wanted to ride an Allomon and got killed. Rest in Peace Vegimon. Never forget.

Ricardolindo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think this episode was good. Taichi and Agumon fought hard to protect Sora and the fleeing Digimon. It was nice to see Taichi and Agumon's memories. The WarGreymon evolution was really earned.

Geode

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I love this episode I got to see Crossmon‘s attacks in action the part with Metal Greymon’s whole body glowing and the way he clashed with Crossmon in the sky reminds me of trans-am From 00.

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As repetitive and mostly shallow the character build up has been ("never let up", followed by flashback fighting-montage), the spectacle of seeing the classic Greymon/Parrotmon face-off taken to it's logical conclusion was pretty sweet, especially with the new song and bump in animation quality.

BlankShell

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So... that Lopmon is definitely one of the angels, right? There's no way they'd keep focusing back on it if it wasn't important for the future.

It was definitely a pleasure to see Crossmon, I love the bench of Digimon they're pulling from. "Break the Chain" is okay, not quite as good as Xtreme Fight, but about on par with Be The Winners.

Veggiemon as a commander was kinda... random? Funny to see him being a bit dickish regardless.

Snorki McBolderbast

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I find it odd how the human partners just somehow appear on the shoulders of their Perfect monsters. At the start of the episode, Garudamon is covered in flames as she attacks. Seconds later, Sora is just there on her shoulders, and somehow she's not burnt at all. At the episode's climax, MetalGreymon evolves into WarGreymon. Taichi is standing on his shoulder... until he's not. Once WarGreymon starts flying, there's no human to be seen. I guess Taichi just jumped down to the ground in between shots...? But then WarGreymon's Gaia Force kills everything within a one mile radius, so Taichi should be dead.

There's also a recurring problem of "plot armor" and power levels... and stakes. At the start, Garudamon slays a handful of MegaDramon with one single attack, even though they are all at the same level. Later on, the Mega level Crossmon attacks the Perfect level MetalGreymon. MetalGreymon is reduced to Agumon... but shouldn't he be dead? In my previous example, a Perfect killed another Perfect in one hit. This time a Mega (stronger than Perfect) attacks a Perfect, yet the Perfect lives.
Later on, as MetalGreymon evolves into WarGreymon, he kills Crossmon in one hit. It's almost as if you're mysteriously and arbitrarily over-powered and invincible just because you're a main character in this show. The problem with this is that, as an audience member, I never fear for the characters. I know that as soon as they are in danger, they will just evolve and neutralize the problem in a matter of seconds. I've said it before and I'll say it again - the stakes have never been lower.

I also don't like what they did with Veggiemon. I mean, it's a fun choice of "leader", albeit a bit random. But they didn't give him any dialogue or character. He's just a smiling fool. I want to know his story! Nevermind WarGreymon - how did Veggiemon get in charge of a bunch of Allomon?
This lack of character building is a recurring problem in this show. Not just Veggiemon, but every villain, every hero, and every npc.

The animation was nice in a few places though.

Last edited:

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There's also a recurring problem of "plot armor" and power levels... and stakes. At the start, Garudamon slays a handful of MegaDramon with one single attack, even though they are all at the same level. Later on, the Mega level Crossmon attacks the Perfect level MetalGreymon. MetalGreymon is reduced to Agumon... but shouldn't he be dead? In my previous example, a Perfect killed another Perfect in one hit. This time a Mega (stronger than Perfect) attacks a Perfect, yet the Perfect lives.
Partner Digimon have always been like that. They devolve instead of dying.

Notus

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And in this specific case, the plot armor is explicit with a bigass glowing Crest and holy energy(?) protecting them.

MFbM

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Aside from Taichi being totally invulnerable after him and Metal Greymon being blasted by Crossmon, and waking up first and had the nerve to ask Agumon "Hey, you still alive?" (yeah some might say "hey that's proof that Taichi's a badass!"), the way Taichi flashes back to his "friends" that he bare knows because he spent less time with them than the Koshiro's team on the bench and somehow "Yeah we have to do this for the sake of our "friends" as the writers of the story mandated them to us, Agumon" and also cue to the scenes that supposed to show the "bond" that he has with Agumon, but yet somehow I still don't get the feel of the stakes that the hero and the viewers "earned" War Greymon, unlike in the original series.

Snorki McBolderbast

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
True, and that's more or less the problem I'm talking about. A reboot would be a perfect opportunity to change this. But no.
The closest thing we have to them dying is turning into eggs. If this were to happen more often, it would be a step in the right direction. Then there would at least be the threat of a partner-Digimon being out of commission for a while, which would make the team more vulnerable. But the only time a Digimon has turned into an egg was Angemon, and that in turn was seemingly just because the reboot tried to echo the original.

the way Taichi flashes back to his "friends" that he bare knows because he spent less time with them than the Koshiro's team on the bench
These flashbacks make it seem like the main characters are the only friends Taichi have. Which is weird, considering how they're trying to portray him as someone who makes friends easily. Didn't he have any other friends before he met Koushiro in episode 1? It would be nice to explore his character outside the Digimon-related stuff.

MFbM

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
the way Taichi flashes back to his "friends" that he bare knows because he spent less time with them than the Koshiro's team on the bench
These flashbacks make it seem like the main characters are the only friends Taichi have. Which is weird, considering how they're trying to portray him as someone who makes friends easily. Didn't he have any other friends before he met Koushiro in episode 1? It would be nice to explore his character outside the Digimon-related stuff.
True, and this is why the relationship amongst them in this new series didn't quite work like in the original series. They barely met and knew each other because they're constantly battling enemies and then separated and then reunited to another battle and then separated again. In the original series, at the very least they have to rely on each other because they've been thrown into the unknown world at the same time and they needed each other to survive and find the way home. Though we have to admit, their "relationship" kinda crumbled after they returned to the real world during the Vamdemon arcs and the following arcs right to the sequel movies they're kinda there but not as tight as a group unlike the 02 kids, but at the beginning of the series, they did have that relationship that made them "earned" their respective Crests' powers.

Snorki McBolderbast

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
True, and this is why the relationship amongst them in this new series didn't quite work like in the original series. They barely met and knew each other because they're constantly battling enemies and then separated and then reunited to another battle and then separated again. In the original series, at the very least they have to rely on each other because they've been thrown into the unknown world at the same time and they needed each other to survive and find the way home. Though we have to admit, their "relationship" kinda crumbled after they returned to the real world during the Vamdemon arcs and the following arcs right to the sequel movies they're kinda there but not as tight as a group unlike the 02 kids, but at the beginning of the series, they did have that relationship that made them "earned" their respective Crests' powers.
I would add that in the 1999-series, the group was split up frequently. However, this resulted in us learning more about them. For example, Taichi and Yamato have an episode in the snow where we really see the differences in their personalities. The same if true with the Mimi/Koushiro episode, what with Mimi being emotional and Koushiro being logical.

The reboot-group has split up too, but the production team seems to have misunderstood the reason for doing this. This never leads to us learning more about these characters; they just act the same - flat and boring. There was a chunk of episodes not too long ago in which Koushiro, Jo, Sora, and Mimi were in the real world. All they did was sit around Koushiro's computer while he said exposition-dialogue. All we get from that is "Koushiro is smart", which we already knew.

I'd point to Buffy the Vampire Slayer as a good example of how characters are written well. That show has several main characters, and all of them has a defined relationship with each of the other characters.

Atbara

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
....Though it differs from the gigantic figure seen in Greymon-species Digimon, and has the form of a Man-type, it has rapidly improved its speed and power, and it is likely impossible to defeat it with the attacks of a Perfect Digimon.
-Digimon Reference Book
I liked every thing about the episode except Wargreymon ridiculous size. however the extended preview of ep31 on youtube seemed like wargreymon was back to normal size