Digimon Adventure: Episode 30- The Mega Digimon, WarGreymon

Vande

Long May He Reign
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 30, The Mega Digimon, WarGreymon

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 29.

Episode 30 airs Sunday, December 27th, 9am in Japan. (Remember there will be no new episode on January 3rd)

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, December 26th, 6:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, December 26th, 9:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, December 27th, 2:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Episode starting off with the Megadramon being wiped out gets that off the table.

The first half has some plot details from Koushiro, some material from Tentomon. Them talking always works well.

Sora had a bit to do to get her away from the main point of the episode, which was the Parrotmon fight.

The early moments of it were neat, but standard. They get him to Crossmon reasonably quickly so he can beat down MetalGreymon, and then as we enter the half of the episode we see our big ol' crest symbol, suggesting to Taichi very directly that maybe he should wonder about this thing that keeps appearing.

Then we get the quicky flashbacks with Agumon evolving to Greymon, to MetalGreymon, and that all looks pretty nice to be honest. They made it feel weighty and gave it emphasis and it felt dynamic and interesting as far as fights go, especially with MetalGreymon fighting Crossmon again.

Then the episode hits the main crux, WarGreymon. I was pretty happy with all of that, even if I would have preferred it be longer (interesting to see the pose tri. made well known at the end of the evolution.)

The new song 'Break the Chain' has a bit of a different energy to it, it felt very 'classic shonen', with more than a bit of that energy classic Digimon songs have had.

The show, if nothing else, excels at action in general, and when it 'really' wants to it feels like it does push things beyond where it had to go.

Because honestly, how people are going to react to this episode 'in general' was always going to be how WarGreymon felt, and not the episode itself.

The leadup to him once they 'start' that run to it worked well, the evolution scene was nice and felt 'big', and WarGreymon himself was shown to be powerful and imposing.

The show has never had action be the problem. But now that we've gotten one of the big guns around it'd be nice if they focus more on character a bit.

Last edited:

Dragonman-82

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well they made War Greymon a lot bigger in this universe. Here i thought they would make him human sized since that large size makes it hard to find cover.

One good thing about the anime its using Mega Digimon a lot more. There always popular but left out a lot of the time since it takes a while for the heros to get that level of power.

citramon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
When huge Wargreymon is the episode's biggest surprise

Notus

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I lol'ed at Vegiemon "biting his nails" when MetalGreymon started evolving. The evo sequence was pretty nice and I like how the visual elements progressed in this stage. Once I got used to the Chou Shinka sequence I kept wondering how they would go for the next level, as it felt as the sequence was nicely "filled out" already. The emphasis on the Crest and the overall "overcharged" vibe worked really well and matches the overall lore of "Perfects are peak natural growth and Ultimates are exceptional".

Talking about crests, it seems the Powers That Be are indirectly but actively saving the kids bacon, if that huge crest shield is anything to go by. It would also explain how Yamato survived that point-blank DoneDevimon attack.

Eitaroutarouman

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Watching Vegiemon (of all things) act fairly intelligent makes wonder why it (and a lot of bad Digimon) doesn't talk. It honestly feels kinda boring seeing a major form debut against (mostly) mindless beasts. I really miss the OG series having bad guys that actually interacted with the kids.

Dynamicmon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Big wargreymon so his head's on scale with the omni hand? :p

Jmac28211

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Watching Vegiemon (of all things) act fairly intelligent makes wonder why it (and a lot of bad Digimon) doesn't talk. It honestly feels kinda boring seeing a major form debut against (mostly) mindless beasts. I really miss the OG series having bad guys that actually interacted with the kids.
I wonder how much this is due to the pandemic? Many of the antagonists could or should have spoken

Guilmon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That new insert song was pretty sweet. As someone mentioned above, it had a very classic Digimon vibe to it.

The rest of the show continues to be boring, repetitive, emotionally inert, and aimless.

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wonder how much this is due to the pandemic? Many of the antagonists could or should have spoken
My impression is that all the enemies we see so far are all under Millenniumon's control that they are not speaking freely or this series maybe just focusing on digimon showcases & fights...

Naal

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So this episode somewhat confirm Lopmon's importance. Good.

Nothing much to talk about the episode itself, really. Seeing Crossmon animated is nice (seriously I don't remember it appeared in XW). Here's hoping for a partner Crossmon somewhere.

The trigger for evolution of WarGreymon is a little meh for me. I remember seeing someone write that the evolution in this reboot is triggered when the human and the Digimon partner are synchronised, but still not a fan of it. Or rather the execution maybe.

The crest symbol keeps on appearing yet not being questioned or explained; weird. At this point I would believe it if someone said that Taichi's crest in this reboot was the crest of recklessness or something along that line, rather than courage.

with_out_will

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Maybe it was the buildup, but I enjoyed the new insert more in this episode than when I listened to it separately, oddly enough. Having a showcase of each of the previous forms felt nice, since I expect they won't appear often anymore going forward.

Anyone caught what that pink cloud from Vegimon's mouth was supposed to be? At the point when it got blown back by Wargreymon's evolution. Couldnt tell if it was a speech bubble or poop or something similar.

Lilimonblooms

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
For me it was very boring.
It wasn't earned at all!
He just decided he wanted to digivolve
The final fight was very basic.
And garudamon getting tired quickly is not understandable.
The show is getting very repetitive.

taz111

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
EPIC and BRILLIANT episode! The animation builds at the end and damn! it's amazing how that insert song really matched well with the transformation of WarGreymon and the emotions of Tai. It felt very early 90s theme to me, like something from Yu Yu Hakusho for some reason.

For me it was very boring.
It wasn't earned at all!
He just decided he wanted to digivolve
The final fight was very basic.
And garudamon getting tired quickly is not understandable.
The show is getting very repetitive.
His evolution was earned. He felt the bond between each other, the courage and it brought forth the evolution. How much courage does this boy have to show to gain an evolution? Time and time again he's been acting like a strategic leader something that the original Tai never really did. How much damage does he have to go through knowing his sister is being held captive by the enemy? He's earned WarGreymon.

Also, Garudamon was fighting in the previous episode - Agumon and Tai were also tired and got their butts kicked but decided to push on.

FET-Kun

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Much like Adventure: as a whole, this episode was a let down in almost every possible way, not even holding off on the expensive animation until AFTER WarGreymon appears. No, you cannot trick me with a new insert song and nicely drawn static shots of WarGreymon, TOEI.

Let's analyze the original WarGreymon debut and this new one.

The writers seem to believe that working together with your partner Digimon in a battle every episode, is the same as developing a deep emotional bond. While that can be a large part of it, even the single two most featured characters, Taichi and Agumon, have no real depth to their partnership. It can be argued that the deepest of bonds can be forged in the heat of battle... but remember that Taichi and Yamato knew each other for 5 minutes before fist bumping Omegamon into existence.

Anyway, the inherent problem stems from an episode structure that has consistently consisted of:

1. We're given the stakes and the mission to accomplish, whether to get from point A to point B within the Digital World, or something in the real world is gonna go boom if they don't stop the enemy Digimon.

2. Enemy Digimon attacks.

3. Taichi and/or Yamato fight and are backed into a corner and seemingly can't win.

4. "No, we can win if we believe in each other... and totally get serious!"

5. They win.

This is not character growth and NOT what should be pointed to when trying to demonstrate a bond. Yeah, am I able to believe on a surface level that Taichi and Agumon care for each other? Sure, but give me, the viewer, something to cling to other than battles.

But yeah. let me be perfectly clear here:

The Adventure: WarGreymon debut fails on many levels. It may have featured better animation, but that's it, and frankly... I'd take the original any day. Go ahead and try to dismiss all of this as simply me being some guy that is nostalgic for the original, but it's painfully obvious that this reboot has maybe a shred of emotion woven into it like the original. See, the original WarGreymon/MetalGarurumon debut had huge stakes that were literally:

Our friends and family are going to be killed, the situation is out of control, and even our most powerful HOLY Digimon are proving to be ineffective against VenomVamdemon, who is at a level we didn't know existed. Oh? A cryptic message says to have ourselves shot with arrows of light and hope? FUCK IT! DO IT NOW, WE'RE SCREWED AS IS!

Digimon Adventure: had the benefit of writing a plot that is not only able to pull from 20 years worth of new content, but to also resolve the flaws within the original Adventure series. It has failed to do any of this, and that is a damn shame.

Tarama

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I love the evolution scene of WarGreymon.
I love the size too. Wonder if MetalGarurumon will be as big as him.

Leoil01

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Much like Adventure: as a whole, this episode was a let down in almost every possible way, not even holding off on the expensive animation until AFTER WarGreymon appears. No, you cannot trick me with a new insert song and nicely drawn static shots of WarGreymon, TOEI.

Let's analyze the original WarGreymon debut and this new one.

The writers seem to believe that working together with your partner Digimon in a battle every episode, is the same as developing a deep emotional bond. While that can be a large part of it, even the single two most featured characters, Taichi and Agumon, have no real depth to their partnership. It can be argued that the deepest of bonds can be forged in the heat of battle... but remember that Taichi and Yamato knew each other for 5 minutes before fist bumping Omegamon into existence.

Anyway, the inherent problem stems from an episode structure that has consistently consisted of:

1. We're given the stakes and the mission to accomplish, whether to get from point A to point B within the Digital World, or something in the real world is gonna go boom if they don't stop the enemy Digimon.

2. Enemy Digimon attacks.

3. Taichi and/or Yamato fight and are backed into a corner and seemingly can't win.

4. "No, we can win if we believe in each other... and totally get serious!"

5. They win.

This is not character growth and NOT what should be pointed to when trying to demonstrate a bond. Yeah, am I able to believe on a surface level that Taichi and Agumon care for each other? Sure, but give me, the viewer, something to cling to other than battles.

But yeah. let me be perfectly clear here:

The Adventure: WarGreymon debut fails on many levels. It may have featured better animation, but that's it, and frankly... I'd take the original any day. Go ahead and try to dismiss all of this as simply me being some guy that is nostalgic for the original, but it's painfully obvious that this reboot has maybe a shred of emotion woven into it like the original. See, the original WarGreymon/MetalGarurumon debut had huge stakes that were literally:

Our friends and family are going to be killed, the situation is out of control, and even our most powerful HOLY Digimon are proving to be ineffective against VenomVamdemon, who is at a level we didn't know existed. Oh? A cryptic message says to have ourselves shot with arrows of light and hope? FUCK IT! DO IT NOW, WE'RE SCREWED AS IS!

Digimon Adventure: had the benefit of writing a plot that is not only able to pull from 20 years worth of new content, but to also resolve the flaws within the original Adventure series. It has failed to do any of this, and that is a damn shame.
I really don't expect good story from this series ive seen the directors other works and i view them like this i only watch for the fight scenes

Koushirou Izumi

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Holy shit that was very boring and predictable jeez...

As soon as you see the clipshow you know the writers knew damn well that there was NO real depth to the characters nor ANY emotional weight to this evolution. And as usual no character development they just played that clipshow as a lazy plot-device to manipulate the fans into feeling something and well WE DID NOT.

For the love of god this show just made me hate Taichi so much please give us a break.

Also, I'm getting pretty f---ing tired of the Koshiro part in every damn episode this guy has no emotion he's just staring at a laptop for what like 5 episodes!!! A black lightning literally almost hit him and killed and he didn't even react? this is not comedy Adventure writers this is just making you all look lazy and stupid tbh.

What else to say well WarGreymon was nicely animated? I mean we all know it's only for this episode so enjoy it, everyone!

This show frustrates me SO BADLY because it had the potential to be epic af but it ended up being bland, boring, emotionless, and PREDICTABLE. After this huge mess, I'd like to apologize to the tri writers we miss you guys please come back :(((

Vande

Long May He Reign
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
An episode that for the first time in a while I enjoyed. The evolution was earned though the bond and willingness to not give up. The evolution itself was great, not much more that I can say on that.

Sora was useful getting the Woodmon (and Lopmon, who really does appear to be important...hm wonder why hmmmmm)

Like the new insert theme as well, it felt 'Digimon' and seems to remind me of something, though I can't put my finger on what. Much better than the last and current ED lol.

Brubarb

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This show frustrates me SO BADLY because it had the potential to be epic af but it ended up being bland, boring, emotionless, and PREDICTABLE. After this huge mess, I'd like to apologize to the tri writers we miss you guys please come back :(((
The Tri writers had character interactions, but they weren't necessarily good. One thing that I remember wishing when I was watching Tri was that it would have more fight scenes. I wonder if they read our comments and did a complete 360, when they should have aimed for balance. There are 66 episodes, so hopefully they'll take people's feedback for the second half of the series!