Digimon Adventure: Episode 29- Escape the Burning Jungle

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 29, Escape the Burning Jungle

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 28.

Episode 29 airs Sunday, December 20th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, December 19th, 6:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, December 19th, 9:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, December 20th, 2:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The episode begins carrying on from the prior one well enough.

A good little Agumon moment of him telling Taichi to carry on.

While still not enough, the various cutaways to the other 6 doing things and giving mini comments worked oddly well. The situation with Jou and Nanimon devolving to 'Oh... he just apparently wandered into a normal place where Nanimon gather and bathe' is small, but reasonably funny.

The burning forest stuff was pretty standard, as was the one Budmon dying and everyone else doing what they could to fight/distract Tankdramon.

Tankdramon's design here felt a bit bulked up from what you expect from art of him in him feeling a bit larger, but it came across as reasonably menacing (especially the shot with the smoke clearing.)

With Sora flying up there with Birdramon I had wondered if she might try and rush to get to Taichi to help, but I admit I figured that seemed too soon based on the pattern of the show, but reasonably pleased that I was wrong to be honest.

Ending it with more of the army showing up along with Parrotmon leads into the next relatively decently, although it feels like this is yet another missed moment for the characters to talk a bit 'before' that happened. (The episode in general felt like it was moving quite quickly. When the eyecatch showed up I was a bit surprised as I thought it was much earlier in it.)

Here's hoping more of the kids wander over to that forest sooner rather than later.

Oh yeah, Lopmon was there. That was nice, if oddly... nothing happening with that.

The episode still doesn't fix various issues, but felt like it worked reasonably well (maybe the character stuff near the beginning makes it feel like it was constructed better. Or that Taichi and Agumon met characters they conversed with minimally, not sure.)

Notus

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sora coming to the rescue was pretty nice. Probably this won't be a full separation like everyone was worrying and everyone will be together sooner rather than later, even if by bits.

Brubarb

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It was nice to have the kids and also other regular digimon communicating!

HawkG

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
With this show starting off with a large villain in the back ground its nice to the digital world in it's natural element with this episode. Even if these guys are with the main antagonist, this seems more natural than what Devimon was doing the with misasma or the dark lightning. This also make the digimon being helped feel a bit more genuine as well.

Also Lopmon is here. I forgot how un-emotive Lopmon can be and intentional or not, I found their disposition pretty funny in context.

In the end this episode is fine. Taichi is fun and all but like always I want to see the other kids get up to some stuff so I'm glad at lest Sora is here to hang around.

taz111

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm curious to see if the gems that Mimi and Palmon are carrying around will have any significance to the story. Is there anything in Digimon lore that has colored gems connected to anything - evolutions etc?

Tarama

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That Allomon biting MetalGreymon's cyborg arm still bothers me. So it's exactly what we saw in the teaser last week.

Personally I'm getting bored with recent episodes, because they were just battle episodes week in and week out. Hopefully after next week episode, it's cooling down.

The interesting part of this episode, especially at the end of it, is that WarGreymon will fight Parrotmon.
In Adventure Movie, it's Greymon.
In Kizuna, it's MetalGreymon.
In Adventure:, it's WarGreymon.

Next time Parrotmon appears, he'll face Omegamon.

Kuzehiko

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Pretty good episode overall.
The kids' screen time was well handled in this episode unlike the last one. The interactions were fun, I liked them. My only issue is that they having Koshiro tell us about the suitation in the RW and on one episode it's everything going downhill in the RW but in another it's everything alright. It's just a terrible way to write down a subplot drama for the people in the RW. Aside from that, all the fighting scenes were great. Sora's arrival was epic too. I simlpy loved it.

Last edited:

Digitama

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Happy with this.
Things like Woodmon talking, he and Budmon attack Tankdramon. Nice to see.
Lopmon in this ep also was nice. and looking forward to see him more in the next week.

Good news if the separation will not be long.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm happy the total focus on the other children and fight scenes are good rather than having Taichi taking the most of screens.

Poor Budmon D:

Yup it's still silly the part where Allomon bit MetalGreymon's... Metal arm.

Good thing Sora's arrival made it better.

Only one thing I hate which is Megadramon shooting purple energy balls instead of shark missiles.

I guess Woodmon is really not bad guy as I thought. Just like Jyureimon for sharing the same babysitter jobs.

Hey... Where did Lopmon vanished off to? After the ending?

Naal

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
While short, the focus shift to the other kids was nice. I was bothered by the fact that Takeru was just standing in the same spot, doing the exact same pose while the other was moving along, but that's minor.

I was expecting something would happen with Lopmon, but it turned out nothing happened (yet?).

Sora joining Taichi was a pleasant surprise though.

Infinity Master

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
While the Tankdramon fight was cool for the most part, it really bothered me with they USED THE SAME FOOTAGE for MetalGreymon Alteros Mode's "Positron Blaster" attack to end the battle.

I really wish they stop re-using the same attack animations over and over again for future fights.

MFbM

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The interesting part of this episode, especially at the end of it, is that WarGreymon will fight Parrotmon.
In Adventure Movie, it's Greymon.
In Kizuna, it's MetalGreymon.
In Adventure:, it's WarGreymon.

Next time Parrotmon appears, he'll face Omegamon.
Parrotmon was always treated as a "confused, lost, rampaging" Digimon in the original series. Look forward to it playing the role of a "boss" or "henchman" for the bigger "boss". Plus, we finally get to see Crossmon! Did Crossmon appear in anime or video games before?
Edit: I just looked it up, so he only appeared in Xros Wars and never in any 3D video games before.

Last edited:

Koushirou Izumi

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode was probably one of the best we've gotten lately. Minor things like Woodmon talking made the world feels so much more alive and made me care despite the continuously weak plot. I do however question Lopmon being in this episode? I hope it actually goes somewhere and he wasn't just a random Digimon that we saw for like 5 seconds. Sora rescuing Taichi was a pleasant surprise but we desperately need more development and actual personality for many characters (especially Taichi, Sora, Koshiro) rather than them just going from one fight to the next.

I hope we go up from here! Idk yet how I feel about the *thing* that's gonna happen next week so we will have to wait and see the execution.

Also, Mimi's whole thing with the stones better be relevant to the story, or else why mention it heavily for 2 episodes? and I'm begging you writers please do something interesting with Hikari and don't make her a damsel-in-distress character.

Lilimonblooms

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was a nice episode, poor budmon, she was determined and strong.
metalgreymon and taichi were good. I was complaining that taichi is appearing too much however sora's intervention balanced this a bit while Joe is getting ridiculous!

The digimon in the forest were courageous and I was very sad when Budmon died.
However I still don't know the functions of the crystals that mimi and palmon are collecting, someone said they are here to activate a new power...
I believe it will be Taichi X sora, yamato X mimi in this arc!! I really hope we will see these last two very soon like taichi and sora in this episode.
Ironically Taichi didn't bother me as much in this episode and I kinda enjoyed his fight and determination but most importantly I loved garudamon's intervention because she was amazing and very strong but it felt that they restrained her in the fight, she was like: Ok, i'm gonna stop now, go on and fight lol.
Nonetheless, I'm also worried about lilimon, she is getting less and less screentime and it's like we rarely see her, and her lines and attacks are so short but I believe she will have a role soon when mimi will join yamato (hopefully lol).
Nevertheless, I'm excited for wargreymon and I believe next episode will be enjoyable too.
But what i'm really thinking :
I guess it's yamato who will face Millenniummon and maybe helped by mimi./SPOILER]

Yume

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Very glad Sora joined Taichi. Garudamon is the next One-Punch Man! Poor Megadramon...

I was also expecting something more from Lopmon. Not necessarily something relevant to the story, maybe just some dialog like Woodmon. If you give us a well-known Digimon who acts mysterious and doesn't speak, we'll expect something out of it. I guess we'll know more if he shows up next week.

Was this the first time Yamato used Koushiro's first name when addressing him? Koushiro's reaction made me think it was. I remember him using "Izumi" before.

Digitama

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Was this the first time Yamato used Koushiro's first name when addressing him? Koushiro's reaction made me think it was. I remember him using "Izumi" before.
Yeah, i noticed that too.

Ricardolindo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think this episode was pretty good. Everyone collaborated. Taichi and Greymon fought to protect the Bunmon and Woodmon from the Allomon, Megadramon and Tankdramon. Two Woodmon also sacrificed themselves to protect the Bunmon. What I found strange was why Greymon, facing Tankdramon didn't evolve into MetalGreymon sooner. Regardless, Sora and Garudamon arrived in time to save MetalGreymon. He, then, defeated Tankdramon, which was a tough opponent. Seeing the Woodmon and Bunmon help them was nice, showing that even the small ones can help. The end of the episode nicely led directly to the next episode by showing the enemy horde hasn't been defeated yet.

Rohan

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Good episode. Further hints about how everyone is competing to Evolve which is interesting. Seeing Allomon was cool as I always love me some Armour Digimon. That Lopmon is totally going to be important isn't it? Anyways, I really liked Sora coming in to save Taichi at the end despite the plan being for the kids to meet up, clearly it's because of Hikari but I choose to put that in the Taichi/Sora ship. ^_^

WarGreymon finally coming next episode huh? It'll be sad to see MetalGreymon go but I'm ready now that the threats are ramping up.