Digimon Adventure: Episode 28- The Children's Fight for Survival

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't think that DarkMaildramon is Hikari's Tailmon. Tailmon is meant to be a Holy Digimon. I don't think that Milenniumon (or the one that's currently in charge) would downgrade a Holy Digimon to be a mount of a sidekick character...
He maybe wouldn't, but the writers sure would xD
It remains to be seen.
Then SkullKnightmon tried to turn Patamon into a dark Digimon because he needed a new chair? =P

Libra

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't see any need for overanalyzing. There are several instances 2020 wants to replicate 1999 events with small differences, but the huge difference is always the lack of impact.
Tachi falling into the digital world in opening,
Smmer camp,
Angemon turning back to an egg,
Etc.
In the original series, Hikari went with Vamdemon's minions to stop their invasion. And they took him to Vamdemon and her partner Tailmon.
Perhaps 2020 cast think it's a good idea if Hikari goes with the minions and finds her partner near the next bad guy.

Ravelt

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't mind the contrasting opinions as it creates far more compelling discourse but some complaints are bizzare in the first place, what kept me glued to my sit with the original adventure was the all encompassing theme of well "adventure," not just the exploration of the digital world but most importantly traversing the interpersonal and intrapersonal relationships of the main cast, discovering themselves in the process, the former I'd argue is also very present here in the reboot, the survival aspect is very well established, what it's lacking so far are the latter two, though I think people are sleeping on some developments of some characters, e.g. the growth of Takeru and Matt idividually and as siblings, I guess because it's not in your face or not as bombastic? I like the subdued nature of it, this cannot be much apparent with the way Matt handled the separation with TK this episode, the moment Takeru showed that he's just as capable as the rest of them, Matt was able to see that change, the Matt of the first few episodes will go gung ho and be erratic to save TK, but here while still concerned obviously knows that TK can take care of himself, though like I've said I agree that majority of the characters still need to be developed. The seeds were already there, they were able to set up the quirks and the defining traits of everyone without spelling it out which I actually like, they did not need to say that this person possesses this crest, they were able to show not tell, they just need to water the seeds to show their growth.

On the issue of repeated separation:
I might be misremembering things because it's been more than a decade since I've watched the original, but I'm pretty sure that they were also separated a couple of times in the original, so again I don't see why this is an issue now, and those times produced some of my favorite moments in the franchise in general, e.g. when Kari got sick, when Tai and Kari bid goodbye to each other, Matt being consumed by darkness, Sora helping in the shadows, Matt and Tai's fight in the snowy mountain, Mimi choosing her own path with Joe accompanying her, etc., heck in the Myotismon arc, they were also separated.

On the issue of the series lacking impactful moments:
Another common complaint is that it lacks soul/heart/moments, which is subjective to begin with, so I don't really mind either way, but then cites Wizardmon's sacrifice or Omnimon MM doing euthanasia to Meicoomon when these events did not transpire until very late in their respective seasons, the former happened on episode 37(I looked up what episode this was) and the latter was at the end of tri. The problem here is we are comparing an entire season to a series with 28 episodes (so far), and if the rumor is true that this series will comprise of 66 episodes then the pacing will be much more different in the first place. Angemon's sacrifice is a much more apt comparison as it happened pretty early in the series, but then again Agumon dark digivolving to the thought of losing Taichi and subsequently digivolving to Wargreymon when he realized that Taichi is still there and he can still save him, giving Agumon his much more needed agency, solidifying their bond in the process is just as enthralling and palpable but I digress.

To be fair I stopped watching around 18th-20th episode as my work just drowned me, so I watched the rest in one go, I might actually dislike the episodes if I watched it on a weekly basis, but I think binge watching helped some of the pacing problems I have. Like, I still have a couple of bone to pick with the reboot from the narrative itself, character development, pacing, etc., but I also quite enjoy what it brought to the table so far.

Anyway on to the episode, I like the set up that they're going for, I just hope they can juggle the characters well as it is pretty daunting to divide them with just their partners as even Taichi got separated with Hikari in the end there. I'm waiting on what they will do with Gatomon as Gatomon probably has my favorite digimon/partner arc in the entire series. I think it's pretty obvious that Gatomon is also one of the holy digimon or at least has some connection to it but are the characters aware that Patamon is not the only one alive at this point? I can't seem to recall if this is the case because it seems like Patamon is treated as THE Holy Digimon rather than one of the holy digimon still alive. Also, Kari in the original was the only one who did not have a character arc, which they remedied in tri, though the execution is another story, so I'm also looking forward to the changes they will do with her character.

Naal

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, this is just my own personal opinion since I obviously can't speak for everyone.

e.g. the growth of Takeru and Matt idividually and as siblings, I guess because it's not in your face or not as bombastic? I like the subdued nature of it, this cannot be much apparent with the way Matt handled the separation with TK this episode, the moment Takeru showed that he's just as capable as the rest of them, Matt was able to see that change, the Matt of the first few episodes will go gung ho and be erratic to save TK, but here while still concerned obviously knows that TK can take care of himself, though like I've said I agree that majority of the characters still need to be developed. The seeds were already there, they were able to set up the quirks and the defining traits of everyone without spelling it out which I actually like, they did not need to say that this person possesses this crest, they were able to show not tell, they just need to water the seeds to show their growth.
I mostly agree for Takeru (and the wasted potential of others), although I'd call it a "beginning" rather than "growth". Takeru before was very robotic that he did whatever the sound inside his head programmed him to do (well, I guess every 7-8 years old child would do that if they are promised a candy). Yamato, on the other hand, was bizarre. I mean it shouldn't be too long for them to invade Valvemon, save Takeru, infiltrate Devimon's castle, beat DoneDevimon, and fall from Cloud Continent. Maybe just one day at most (not counting the already fixed time dilation that was ignored by the script). Someone doesn't change overnight, but Yamato sure did. He went from a frantic older brother who freak out at the thought of his younger brother being in Tokyo during the blackout (with his parent(s?) or maybe he freak out because he knew his parent(s?) won't be there) to someone who's overly calm about him being in the unknown world where dangerous, wild monsters was roaming. It would be reasonable to still be concerned about Takeru without being gung ho. I'd call that a fine development. It might be interesting to see how would he react when Takeru said that Patamon was asleep, but we never get that.

On the issue of repeated separation:
I might be misremembering things because it's been more than a decade since I've watched the original, but I'm pretty sure that they were also separated a couple of times in the original, so again I don't see why this is an issue now, and those times produced some of my favorite moments in the franchise in general, e.g. when Kari got sick, when Tai and Kari bid goodbye to each other, Matt being consumed by darkness, Sora helping in the shadows, Matt and Tai's fight in the snowy mountain, Mimi choosing her own path with Joe accompanying her, etc., heck in the Myotismon arc, they were also separated.
It's been a while for me, too, since I last saw the original, but I'm pretty sure they didn't separate the group this aggressively. In Adventure: they've been separated 3 times without a sufficient amount of time together as a group. I mean they will promptly be separated after they reunite. Worse that the last iteration of separation focus only on Taichi and Yamato. Even worse, it didn't produce anything satisfying; no character development, no meaningful plot advancement, just fight after fight. At least in the original it gave us a nice focus on other characters.

I've said before that this might be better than the last separation (which by the way lasts for almost 10 episodes). This might be more similar to the first separation, i.e. their Perfect Arc, which is the best episodes of this series so far for me. But at this point I don't hope for anything anymore. Plus the focus will be on Taichi for at least 2-3 more episodes. Moreover the separation so far was just a plot convenient thing. There are still no character-driven separation, but I guess they're not character enough yet to decide to go their own way.

Ravelt

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I mostly agree for Takeru (and the wasted potential of others), although I'd call it a "beginning" rather than "growth". Takeru before was very robotic that he did whatever the sound inside his head programmed him to do (well, I guess every 7-8 years old child would do that if they are promised a candy). Yamato, on the other hand, was bizarre. I mean it shouldn't be too long for them to invade Valvemon, save Takeru, infiltrate Devimon's castle, beat DoneDevimon, and fall from Cloud Continent. Maybe just one day at most (not counting the already fixed time dilation that was ignored by the script). Someone doesn't change overnight, but Yamato sure did. He went from a frantic older brother who freak out at the thought of his younger brother being in Tokyo during the blackout (with his parent(s?) or maybe he freak out because he knew his parent(s?) won't be there) to someone who's overly calm about him being in the unknown world where dangerous, wild monsters was roaming. It would be reasonable to still be concerned about Takeru without being gung ho. I'd call that a fine development. It might be interesting to see how would he react when Takeru said that Patamon was asleep, but we never get that.
You brought up a good point with time, whether Yamato's development is realistic with the time frame that was given, regardless of the time frame, we have seen how Takeru was able to handle himself from freeing Eldoradimon, to standing up with unwavering resolve against Devimon and to beating DarkKnightmon, Yamato witnessed each and everyone of them, I do think that him trusting TK was earned within the context of what was presented. You touched up a good point that Takeru being with Patamon probably also helped to ease his mind as he had witnessed the strength of the holy digimon.

It's been a while for me, too, since I last saw the original, but I'm pretty sure they didn't separate the group this aggressively. In Adventure: they've been separated 3 times without a sufficient amount of time together as a group. I mean they will promptly be separated after they reunite. Worse that the last iteration of separation focus only on Taichi and Yamato. Even worse, it didn't produce anything satisfying; no character development, no meaningful plot advancement, just fight after fight. At least in the original it gave us a nice focus on other characters.
I also agree with this sentiment that separation in itself is not a problem if it can be used to further the plot or the characters but like I've said it gave us the Yamato-Takeru dynamic so I disagree that it did not have any character development at all and while brief (like really really short), it gave us a glimpse about the family life of the other team which might be later used as a fuel for their respective arcs especially Koushiro (well, that's what I hope at least) and also disagree with no plot advancement, their main goal at the start is to locate the Holy Digimon, they were able to do so, that is a huge plot advancement not only that, Moon=Millenniummon was introduced in this arc iirc, which might as well be the main villain of the series.

I mostly agree though that the focus is the main issue here, that Matt-Takeru-Taichi group was given the the focus as the group was tasked to do the heavy lifting to advance the plot while the others were relegated in the background, this did work in Our War Game movie, wherein they were able to build tension by the continuous shift from the fight in the network and to how it was affecting the real world and vice versa, while here it faltered as I found the B-plot meandering.

I've said before that this might be better than the last separation (which by the way lasts for almost 10 episodes). This might be more similar to the first separation, i.e. their Perfect Arc, which is the best episodes of this series so far for me. But at this point I don't hope for anything anymore. Plus the focus will be on Taichi for at least 2-3 more episodes. Moreover the separation so far was just a plot convenient thing. There are still no character-driven separation, but I guess they're not character enough yet to decide to go their own way.
Same, like I've said if I watched it in a weekly basis I might also be annoyed as it was clearly focused on Taichi's group for almost 10 episodes as you've pointed out with the others staying in the background but I disagree again that there's no character-driven separation at all, their Perfect Arc is a character driven separation down to the T while also moving the story forward, the Sora-Yamato-Joe group encapsulated this perfectly. In this scenario, Matt separated with Sora and Joe as he wanted to reach their destination as soon as possible so that he can return to the real world (not telling this to Sora and Joe at first) while Sora wanted to prioritize saving the digimon first before they move on with their mission with Joe siding with Sora, this is a cut and dry character driven separation due to the clashing of personalities/ideals rather than for plot convenience. And at the end of this episode, Hikari parting ways with Taichi in her own volition can be also included in this.

Last edited:

Naal

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I also agree with this sentiment that separation in itself is not a problem if it can be used to further the plot or the characters but like I've said it gave us the Yamato-Takeru dynamic so I disagree that it did not have any character development at all and while brief (like really really short), it gave us a glimpse about the family life of the other team which might be later used as a fuel for their respective arcs especially Koushiro (well, that's what I hope at least) and also disagree with no plot advancement, their main goal at the start is to locate the Holy Digimon, they were able to do so, that is a huge plot advancement not only that, Moon=Millenniummon was introduced in this arc iirc, which might as well be the main villain of the series.
Maybe it's just our different take of it, but like I said before the separation didn't produce anything satisfying for me; the Yamato-Takeru dynamic is so lackluster imo. It's true that they show us the family life, but it's just a mere seed (borrowing your word) that they decide to abandon (hopefully to take care of later though, I swear if they don't...). As for the plot advancement, would they fail to locate the Holy Digimon if they're not separated? Wouldn't Moon=Millenniummon be introduced if they're together? I think the answers are both a no. The separation served no purpose on the plot itself.

Same, like I've said if I watched it in a weekly basis I might also be annoyed as it was clearly focused on Taichi's group for almost 10 episodes as you've pointed out with the others staying in the background but I disagree again that there's no character-driven separation at all, their Perfect Arc is a character driven separation down to the T while also moving the story forward, the Sora-Yamato-Joe group encapsulated this perfectly. In this scenario, Matt separated with Sora and Joe as he wanted to reach their destination as soon as possible so that he can return to the real world (not telling this to Sora and Joe at first) while Sora wanted to prioritize saving the digimon first before they move on with their mission with Joe siding with Sora, this is a cut and dry character driven separation due to the clashing of personalities/ideals rather than for plot convenience. And at the end of this episode, Hikari parting ways with Taichi in her own volition can be also included in this.
I'd argue that they separated because of the situation and nothing to do with the character. There's a large lake of miasma so there's no choice but to take different routes. Yeah, Yamato's one was character driven I guess. I forgot that because I always got the impression that he's doing that just to bait the enemies. As for Hikari...I doubt that, but we'll see.

Well, in the end it came down to our own perspective of the show. I admit that my complaint was very much affected by my distrust of the direction the producer of this show will take.

MFbM

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What differentiate the original series from the new series is that, in the original, while they were separated many times, they first spent most of their times in the earlier episodes together that perhaps they knew each other well enough. Perhaps too well known that we don't mind them being separated so that they could sort out their personal problems before they could reunite for the final or important battles (something missing from this series, because I wanted the fight with "boss characters" like with Done Devimon to be a team fight, not just Taichi's only, but in the new series, the rest of the team didn't even meet him to know the dire situations they were in, and now obviously reflected through the characters of Joe and Mimi reflected in episode 29, LOL!). And you mentioned that their separations usually involved them trying to "find" their roles befitting the traits that assigned to them through their Crests (yeah, Crests, something that is totally or maybe still missing from the new series, as of this episode). And, during the Vamdemon arc, they're "finally" back home after many episodes, so with them being home, they have to be "separated" for a while to reunite with their families, and to find the eighth Children.

But in the new series, they were barely together, barely know each other, but the writers insist on separating them so that they could only focus on Taichi, which I don't mind much if I never watched the original series where they were treated as a group with Taichi being the main focus rather than Taichi being the ONLY focus.

Ravelt

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What differentiate the original series from the new series is that, in the original, while they were separated many times, they first spent most of their times in the earlier episodes together that perhaps they knew each other well enough. Perhaps too well known that we don't mind them being separated so that they could sort out their personal problems before they could reunite for the final or important battles (something missing from this series, because I wanted the fight with "boss characters" like with Done Devimon to be a team fight, not just Taichi's only, but in the new series, the rest of the team didn't even meet him to know the dire situations they were in, and now obviously reflected through the characters of Joe and Mimi reflected in episode 29, LOL!). And you mentioned that their separations usually involved them trying to "find" their roles befitting the traits that assigned to them through their Crests (yeah, Crests, something that is totally or maybe still missing from the new series, as of this episode). And, during the Vamdemon arc, they're "finally" back home after many episodes, so with them being home, they have to be "separated" for a while to reunite with their families, and to find the eighth Children.
Except staying together and longer does not equate to knowing each other well, just because you've stayed with someone longer does not mean that you know them better than someone that they've just met for instance. It's not like they did not stay as a group, if anything they were always a group, just divided mostly as two groups instead of one big group (prior to their latest separation) thus giving us different dynamics, different does not equate to worse. DoneDevimon is a team fight, Koushiro's group was even pivotal in the defeat of Donedevimon as they were the one who cut his power source, again it is very much a team fight, you wanting a different approach does not mean it is not a team fight. It's not like there's no other group fights anyway, them infiltrating the fortress and the battle in Tokyo are another examples.

Mimi and Joe acting that way is not because they did not meet Donedevimon otherwise Sora and Koushiro would also act the same way, yet they did not, the former two acting that way reflects their personalities the same with the latter two being more focused with the task at hand. Except crests are very much present in the series or at the very least the traits are very much present in the chosen children, heck when their digimon digivolve to another level the first time, it was when they showed/embodied/embraced said traits with the symbols even appearing in their digivices.

But in the new series, they were barely together, barely know each other, but the writers insist on separating them so that they could only focus on Taichi, which I don't mind much if I never watched the original series where they were treated as a group with Taichi being the main focus rather than Taichi being the ONLY focus.
Like I've said just because they were barely together as ONE big group does not mean they did not know each other as well as those in the original, Kari was not even introduced to the group till much later unlike this time that they at the very least integrated Kari earlier, Matt was able to divulge his fears when it comes to TK to the group early on just like in the original for example, so I don't see why they're not as tight as the original in the first place. Taichi is the Main focus but he is not the ONLY focus, was Taichi the focus when Garudamon first showed up? How about when Zudomon made his first appearance? Maybe that's the problem, mind you I also watched the original first, you keep on searching for the original anime in the new anime, you wanted the same rethread of the group dynamics and if I wanted to watch the same thing then I'll just watch the original.

Maybe it's just our different take of it, but like I said before the separation didn't produce anything satisfying for me; the Yamato-Takeru dynamic is so lackluster imo. It's true that they show us the family life, but it's just a mere seed (borrowing your word) that they decide to abandon (hopefully to take care of later though, I swear if they don't...). As for the plot advancement, would they fail to locate the Holy Digimon if they're not separated? Wouldn't Moon=Millenniummon be introduced if they're together? I think the answers are both a no. The separation served no purpose on the plot itself.
Yup. I see where you are coming from, but the same can be said to the original, was the separation warranted? Would they not be able to locate the eight digidestined if they're in a group? No. Then if we go by that, them separating did not serve any purpose to the plot. I just disagree when you say that there's no plot advancement because that's a huge move forward, while you might find Takeru-Yamato dynamic lackluster, Takeru has shown development here ergo gives credence to its purpose in the plot, whether it can be achieved with them separating or not, we don't know because a lot will change in the first place, hence the butterfly effect, will Velgrmon even appear if they can reach Takeru much quicker with the group, if it does appear will it still be able to escape, will a group slow them down or not, will Angemon even be able to free himself if Velgrmon is not successful in the first place? Will Eldoradimon be freed? There are so many variables to take into account, I would argue that the fact that they were able to get the Holy Digimon and introduced and develop Takeru merit its purpose in the plot as the alternative (them not splitting) produces an unknown result, i.e. Occam's razor.

Well, in the end it came down to our own perspective of the show. I admit that my complaint was very much affected by my distrust of the direction the producer of this show will take.
I agree it's just subjective anyway, I guess I'm just more cautiously optimistic.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thanks to the Zurumon's NASAsplosion there's black lightning everywhere. Which powers up random Digimon & DarkKnightmon who got hit by Angemon. e also nabs Kari at the end for reasons. Plus everyone is split up again. At least Joe is funny. But with a sort of evo to WarGreymon beating Volcdramon, then the real... Wait, nevermind.

Mon-Ohma

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's Scooby Doo time again as Angemon realises the gang is in grave danger of forming an actual group dynamic, and so wastes little time in teleporting everyone away from one situation into various others.
The only exception being that the Yagamis manage to remain together. Which is very handy for the writers since they can now use Taichi's actual biological sibling as a plot device for him instead of someone else's.
Still at least this separation can be put to good use in providing the other isolated kids with a chance at significant development and growth.

After a brief moment spent establishing where all the extras are (with Koushiro still successfully functioning as exposition), we return to a very familiar scenario of watching Metalgreymon futilely throwing attacks at a much stronger opponent. Apart from the fact Volcdramon is about as suited to it's environment as a Giraffe is to the Antarctic, there is really nothing else worth commenting about this entire monotonous sequence. We all know the drill by this point.

"I could just fly away, but we need something to keep the audience vaguely entertained..."

After reminding us again that Wargreymon is inevitable, a devolved Skullknightmon repeats his tactic from last episode. This time managing to kidnap Hikari.

I say 'kidnap', it's really more closer to offering her a lift...

"You're coming with me!"
"Okay."
"Wait, what!?"
"I'll come with you."
"You do realize we intend to do unspeakably graphic things to your person!?"
"Sure, I'm okay with that."
"With really sharp objects!"
"Sounds like fun."

"...On second thoughts, you can have her back!!"