Digimon Adventure: Episode 28- The Children's Fight for Survival

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 28, The Children's Fight for Survival

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 27.

Episode 28 airs Sunday, December 13th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, December 12th, 6:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, December 12th, 9:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, December 13th, 2:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That one felt weird.

The DarkKnightmon/Angemon fight was super short, mostly serving to separate the kids again. Having Angemon's wings get larger as he put in more effort and was doing more was an interesting touch.

Separating them yet again seems poor, although oddly the way they kept in touch and had everyone 'doing' something made it less disagreeable than I had expected. Checking in on everyone a few times and having mini stories helped.

Various cameos from known Digimon worked decently well. Jou ending in a place he could relax, but then out of sorts not knowing if the Digimon was going to do anything worked quite well.

Flashing back to this universes 'movie 1' or close to it era and suggesting something was up with Hikari then adds a tiny drop of needed back elements. And they certainly want us to believe or wonder if SkullKnightmon/DarkKnightmon might be something we've been waiting to see... (perhaps the robot voice and him not having an actor was a more purposeful choice than expected...)

The battle was... mostly ok. MetalGreymon trying what worked last episode and it failing I quite liked. Although I'm not sure how I feel about seeing the 'energy' WarGreymon again. It appears they are using it as a 'mock' he's trying to evolve, but can't quite reach it enough to stick the form. Guess I'll decide how I feel based on what happens in the next few episodes.

The first half being a bit slower definitely helped, but the show continues to be in a position where it really needs an episode or 2 of the characters doing not much of anything to provide for some slowdown, relaxing, and to act as a bit of mental reboot for the audience.

It wasn't a great episode, but I'm mostly kind of happy with it I guess?

Ryudamon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Deckerdramon munching on fried Cyberdramon X while Izzy and Tentomon hide. That was a bit of a funny part. Seeing both is what I kinda enjoy.

I was hoping it was Sukamon and Chuumon chasing after Mimi instead of Golemon. That will be awsome.

The Monochromon surrounding Matt and Garurumon is spot on.

I do not get the Flymon around Sora and Biyomon.

Joe and Gomamon in a hot spring and then had to face Nanimon. That is going to be interested.

TK and Patamon in a field with nothing. It was cute trying to watch Patamon fly. Wonder if this is going to be the part for TK to get to Primary Village and meet with Elecmon.

The battle with MetalGreymon and Volcdramon is a bit intense. I was hoping they slow it down some, but you get what you get.

Kari agreeing to go with SkullKnightmon is a cliffhanger. I can not wait tell the next episode.

Brubarb

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Is the champion level Deckerdramon that strong that it can take down a bunch of Cyberdramon?

with_out_will

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I quite liked that the "shoot them in the mouth" trick didn't work this time round.

Felt that the way skullknightmon just abducted Hikari from right beside her companions was weird though.

MFbM

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What is the purpose of "teasing" War Greymon over and over, in writing or storytelling perspective? Because it is a common knowledge that that is Taichi's Agumon's Ultimate form in most media. It's not that he will turn into something else entirely, is it? Or are they really going to go with what the Battle Card box hinting at?

Eitaroutarouman

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The Volcdramon felt like padding. A fight for no other reason to pad out time. Seeing a Deckerdramon eat some is morbidly amusing considering XW. Though why the 2010 version? Isn't that more alien than cyborg? It didn't fit the theme of the area.

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
well at least they are starting to dig into Hikari's mysterious powers of some sort and she wasn't even afraid of going off with Skullknightmon. We really need at least one episode on the story plot of this series considering we are almost half way through....

Brubarb

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What is the purpose of "teasing" War Greymon over and over, in writing or storytelling perspective? Because it is a common knowledge that that is Taichi's Agumon's Ultimate form in most media. It's not that he will turn into something else entirely, is it? Or are they really going to go with what the Battle Card box hinting at?
What is the battle card box hinting at?

well at least they are starting to dig into Hikari's mysterious powers of some sort and she wasn't even afraid of going off with Skullknightmon. We really need at least one episode on the story plot of this series considering we are almost half way through....
What if Skullknightmon is actually a fallen Gatomon or something

I wonder if Sora, Mimi and Joe are going to actually make friends with the Digimon in their area instead of fighting them. I could see Joe doing some manly bonding, Mimi feeding Golemon those minerals, and Sora befriending the flymon.

Notus

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My feeling is that they're going for building up the path to evolution. Usually new evos are result of a turning point, here it seems it will be the result of adding experiences until he's capable of fully evolving (in an explicit way). He's already "learned" Great Tornado and Gaia Force, he's got the requirements to evolve, in true RPG fashion. XP

MFbM

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What is the battle card box hinting at?
There's the art of Taichi in front of Blitz Greymon and Yamato in front of Cres Garurumon, can't remember whether it's the box art or something.

HawkG

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We're split up once again but I forgot that the kids can keep in touch so I'll openly welcome this dynamic. Next episode we are meeting a friendly woodmon so I'd also like some random digimon bonding for the others to play off of.

The fights were fine but showed off some interesting bits. A powered up Darkknightmon can keep up with full power Angemon. Patamon is the instant win button he could be but a strong get out of jail free card. Finally the difference between Takeru and Hikari is that he is partnered to a holy digimon and she actually has special powers. Backed up by the fact that she was half the reason aura WarGreymon showed up.

Hikari seamingly going with SkullKnightmon of her own will is interesting enough but it's a bit too mystery for mystery's sake for me to really care about.

Once again, this show set up a bunch of interesting bits, now will it do anything with them in an interesting way?

MFbM

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My feeling is that they're going for building up the path to evolution. Usually new evos are result of a turning point, here it seems it will be the result of adding experiences until he's capable of fully evolving (in an explicit way). He's already "learned" Great Tornado and Gaia Force, he's got the requirements to evolve, in true RPG fashion. XP
LOL, yes, you are quite right. Metal Greymon also seemingly able to fire "Mega Flame", his pre-evolved form's attack, during the fight with Splashmon. Now that's quite an RPG, a la Digimon World 2 (man I missed that games' "unique" feature that's yet to be replicated by following Digimon games: The higher level Digimon kept their previous level Digimon's signature attack).

Brubarb

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We're split up once again but I forgot that the kids can keep in touch so I'll openly welcome this dynamic. Next episode we are meeting a friendly woodmon so I'd also like some random digimon bonding for the others to play off of.

The fights were fine but showed off some interesting bits. A powered up Darkknightmon can keep up with full power Angemon. Patamon is the instant win button he could be but a strong get out of jail free card. Finally the difference between Takeru and Hikari is that he is partnered to a holy digimon and she actually has special powers. Backed up by the fact that she was half the reason aura WarGreymon showed up.

Hikari seamingly going with SkullKnightmon of her own will is interesting enough but it's a bit too mystery for mystery's sake for me to really care about.

Once again, this show set up a bunch of interesting bits, now will it do anything with them in an interesting way?
It kind of irks me that Angemon is so powerful has so many deux ex machina powers. From making Omnimon to talking through feathers, to stopping Velgremon after just freeing himself, to knocking out Darknightmon by hatching out of an egg, to having a Tokomon forcefield, to being able to teleport all the kids away... I'm glad Patamon was unable to fly after though.

Digitama

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think this episode is nice.
We got a bit of a dialogue between Taichi and Hikari with the backstory Taichi thinks about Hikari, Mimi and Palmon want ruby gemstone to be pretty, The joke between joe and Gomamon while they take the bath with Nanimon too. Patamon trying to fly.

Angemon and DarkKnightmon fight is nice, but it wasn't long.

The silhouette of WarGreymon again was unexpected but perhaps that was said because it is the stage before his real appearance. And he use Gaia Force this time.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
How many times they will get separated after reunions?

Volcdramon shot black lightning was the biggest WTF moment....

Why Cyberdramon Xros?! I demand Original DESIGN of it

Look like MoonMillienumon is actively "searching" around using all black lightnings that makes all wild digimon go rampage. Or was it working of Zurumon/Flooding theories to produce tons of data to the digital world?

I usually see a lot of digimon only use one technique but that is pretty surprise MetalGreymon able to perform both attacks.

Hikari just went together with SkullKnightmon like that? What the...?

I wonder if Hikari wasn't shocked at the sight of Agumon and others after teleported to the digital world because she does remember the memories of certain digimon as the baby? Maybe Sora's reaction suggested that...

AppliFang

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Im kinda wondering if Skullknightmon's Steed Maildramon is our Tailmon? o.o

lol Sora vs bug digimon again (hoping to see Tropiamon lines or something)

Jmac28211

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So I mostly enjoyed the episode. Them being separated is almost a non-issue if they communicate with each other. If anything, this allows us to have some nice moments with their partners (which most of them get in this ep). This also allows them to show off more of this new continent. The crystal’s influence seems to stretch all over the world, and it once again feels like we were dropped into a world that already lost a war.

I’d love to see the B team make more Digimon friends (at least Nanimon and Golemon), and determined TK is such a great take on his character. Also, seeing Tai and Agumon celebrate and just having SkullKnightmon walk by to take Kari was hilarious.

We get our first villain analyzer segment next week too.

Next episode seems to be diving into a Digimon society. As much as I like that potential Digimon allies are joining the fray, that takes away from screen time of the other characters.

This series needs to grow the seeds it’s planted. Honestly all the seeds feel appropriate, linked, and planned out. I’m hoping for a big “It all makes sense!” reveal.

Theory time: I hope DarkMaildramon is Gatomon. Kari goes where she’s called, and it would make sense for Kari to go with them. If DarkMaildramon is another Holy Digimon that Devimon succeeded in corrupting, it would make his attempt to corrupt Patamon’s egg have some precedent.

Also, I’d like Lopmon to be a reborn Cherubimon. Maybe they don’t realize it, and maybe they’re unable to use their abilities.

Amandil7

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah! I kind of wondered that about Dark Maildramon too lol ^

Angemon vs DarkKnightmon was too damn brief but I like the new powers he demonstrated in getting the others to safety. Also him using Heaven's Knuckle to cut his opponent down to size was great. The pay-off with Patamon struggling to fly was cute as heck *heart eyes*

I don't like them re-using Wargreymon's Silhouette this soon but they probably did it to demonstrate Kari's mysterious powers.

Poor Joe being all nakey and face to face with none other than Nanimon was hilarious.

I hope with the kids being separate we can focus on each of them (after we're done with Taichi that is).

Tarama

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Taichi Koshiro
Taichi Koshiro Yamato
Separation
Taichi Sora
Taichi Sora Mimi
Taichi Sora Mimi Joe
Taichi Sora Mimi Joe Yamato
Taichi Sora Mimi Joe Yamato Koshiro (6)