Digimon Adventure: Episode 27- To the New Continent

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 27, To the New Continent

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 26.

Episode 27 airs Sunday, December 6th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, December 5th, 6:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, December 5th, 9:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, December 6th, 2:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Man, that episode feels weird.

I feel like I shouldn't like it, but I did.

It didn't fix any problems that have shown up a lot lately, it sort of just... put the pieces together in a slightly different way that made it feel like it mostly worked.

Having all the characters back is great, and we even get some minor talking and interactions. (One thing that worked well is things the B-team weren't around for having to be explained to them mid-events happening, along with the inverse involving the Zurumon, etc. Although the lack of mention of the Algomon just vanishing feels really strange.) Tentomon stopping Koushiro from sliding was a great moment.

The battles in the episode skewed to the low budget side, but felt like they worked oddly well. The new BGM certainly helped to liven things up also.

Groundramon was used pretty well and menacingly also, especially with the chomping on the Tortamon like popcorn (and Altermos Mode had a unique point!) DarkKnightmon popping up to be fought in the next episode was a reappearance that worked well. And it appears we don't be seeing Eldoridimon, Leomon, or the rest of that team for awhile... they... teleported? I guess? Or maybe the audience is supposed to assume they are dead?

A good episode, but I feel weird about liking it due to that it doesn't quite feel like any problems from recent iffy episodes have been fixed...

Also, Koushiro's musings in the Encyclopedia keep getting better and better.

Last edited:

Ryudamon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I like Patamon evolution scene. I thought it was a new version of Patamon, aka, like MetalGreymon and WereGarurumon. It was really cool first growing the wings and then evolve.

Eitaroutarouman

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Really hope Leomon showing up only to almost immediately get written out isn't going to be a trend.

Brubarb

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was surprised that they just imploded Groundramon from inside out. Imagine the guts if it didn't become data. Question: How did Metalgreymon not get hit by everyone's attacks? Haha!

I'm glad they skipped the evolution sequences, and made Groundramon a threat. Good to see all the digimon fighting together! :) Maybe the writers read our comments or something LOL

saifors

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wow that was absolute trash, worst episode by far of this season possibly of the entire series.
The animation was trash, and they even reused a bunch of things, the pacing was absolutely whack the narrative was bad and what was supposed to be big moments left absolutely zero impact.
I guess Leomon and crew is dead now?

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This version of Taichi is very similar to that of V-Tamers with his quick strategic thinking which I really enjoy watching. But it seems to me that Yamato is getting pushed more and more towards background character which does not sit well with me. He needs to step up more if he doesn't mind being in the shadow of his own little brother...

ryuujinkurodou

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
M
Man, that episode feels weird.

I feel like I shouldn't like it, but I did.

It didn't fix any problems that have shown up a lot lately, it sort of just... put the pieces together in a slightly different way that made it feel like it mostly worked.

Having all the characters back is great, and we even get some minor talking and interactions. (One thing that worked well is things the B-team weren't around for having to be explained to them mid-events happening, along with the inverse involving the Zurumon, etc. Although the lack of mention of the Algomon just vanishing feels really strange.) Tentomon stopping Koushiro from sliding was a great moment.

The battles in the episode skewed to the low budget side, but felt like they worked oddly well. The new BGM certainly helped to liven things up also.

Groundramon was used pretty well and menacingly also, especially with the chomping on the Tortamon like popcorn (and Altermos Mode had a unique point!) DarkKnightmon popping up to be fought in the next episode was a reappearance that worked well. And it appears we don't be seeing Eldoridimon, Leomon, or the rest of that team for awhile... they... teleported? I guess? Or maybe the audience is supposed to assume they are dead?

A good episode, but I feel weird about liking it due to that it doesn't quite feel like any problems from recent iffy episodes have been fixed...

Also, Koushiro's musings in the Encyclopedia keep getting better and better.
Man, I definitely agree with you.

HawkG

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode was fun. Still on it's high tension streak but that's to be expected. I really liked everyone working together but feel conflicted about the Angemon baiting in last weeks preview. Seems DarkKnightmon has moved on from converting Patamon to probably just killing HIkari, so that's very pragmatic.

I also want to bring up Takeru. This small child has so much agency and I love it. That fact that he feels left out and just wants to help is great, but the best part about it is that he actually does just that. Compared to at least original Hikari who wants to do something and then glows a bit and gets her wish. (Other than that bit with Myotismon) Takeru has to actually put himself in danger to do what he wants.

The problem with this show is that it doesn't know how to use the pieces that it has. It has a lot of good pieces and ideas and setups and it doesn't do much with them. It's too busy trying to push the characters forward when they have set them up to move forward anyway. Nothing needs to be blowing up for these kids to want to help. This series is very clumsy and its sad because there's a lot of good here on it's own merit.

Brubarb

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wow that was absolute trash, worst episode by far of this season possibly of the entire series.
The animation was trash, and they even reused a bunch of things, the pacing was absolutely whack the narrative was bad and what was supposed to be big moments left absolutely zero impact.
I guess Leomon and crew is dead now?
I don't think it was that bad lol

Leomon and crew aren't dead. A magic water hole appeared under them and now they're somewhere else

darkfent

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Having the digivice: "dammit, all the spoilers".

Koushirou Izumi

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Man, it is so GOOD to have everyone back together again... I quite enjoyed the little 3 minutes break and dialogue they had at the start of the episode I wish it could last longer.

The action was really below average in this episode....they reused so many frames especially for the attacks and it was so noticeable in this particular episode. And I think I'm starting to expect the fact that this show is just supposed to be an action-packed "adventure" with minimal plot and development ut I really miss the gang just exploring the digital world and meeting new Digimon :(.

Action is cool and all but I feel like if we slowed down a little bit the show could be so much better instead of these never-ending fighting episodes.

The new ending is so adorable with their cute winter/fall clothes (I honestly don't know lmao) and I appreciate the spotlight on our queens Mimi & Palmon. Also, did I hear the narrator say the "separated children fight for survival"?? I will not panic before actually watching next week *starts panicking* BUT PLEASE DO NOT SEPARATE THEM FOR THE LOVE OF THE DIGIGOD ENOUGH

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think that animator really really love to animate the shaking screen so much besides only making stare expressions and... Some derpy eyes like Sora.

Good to see Tortamon swarms again but to think they got eaten by... That savage Groundramon. Maybe Devimon gave evolving methods to all the wild ones in faraway lands to eat each others in order to evolve?

Wow Patamon evolved. Without... Takeru in danger. No drama.

What's up with those Falcomon and Spadamon warded off mystery lightnings like nothing? They are sorta... abnormal for Child levels.

Whoa Groundramon's death is way too cruel compared to BigMamemon's massive death popping.

Look like Hikaru wasn't shocked at all digimon just like Sora.... Or they don't know how to make good expressions....

Tarama

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So now digimon partner can evolve on their own huh?

*as long as the human partners are there I think. And with full energy and fit status.

Lilimonblooms

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Good episode but some things bother me, why don't they create new attacks for ultimates, they keep using the same attacks: shadow wing, horn buster and flow cannon.
Lillymon have flower wreath too and the dust she used the first time.
They should also add some attacks to garudamon and zudomon...
And its sad that only taichi and yamato can change modes.

Amandil7

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I actually really enjoyed this episode! So glad the gang's all together. The interactions at the start of the ep were cute. More of those please!

Bye for now Leomon and company!

The fight itself was pretty standard, Groundramon made for an interesting way to use Alterous Mode.

Glad Takeru and Patamon are stepping up! The evolution sequence was neat. Yay Angemon!!! Next episode is gonna be exciting hopefully.

Naal

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Compared to Yamato's reaction to Takeru, Taichi's reaction was really plain. He quickly averted his attention to the continent instead, and one could infer just how much he cares about his little sister. At least Agumon is there for the job.

So the updated Digivice allows them to read their partner's vital sign? I hope it would be used (but I don't expect too much).

Takeru's introduction to the rest was rather curt, and it's weird that no one addressed who he was until Hikari just stared at Patamon. Is it just me or she's even weirder than the original one?

Sora's remark about the black lightning synchronised with real world problem felt off. It would be better if Koushiro gave the exposition first. Speaking of black lightning, Leomon's team is literally catching it with their bare hands...what's going on?

Zurumon was mentioned by Koushiro and Sora asked who DarkKnightmon was, which I appreciate. The fight, too, was fought using (some sort of) tactics here and there, which is appreciated too. But what's that weird Hikari close-up after DarkKnightmon's appearance?

The new Mimi-centric(ish) ending was nice. Though for the song, I still like the first one best.

Infinity Master

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Personally, I think this was an EPIC EPISODE and the way the digi-destined took down Groundramon was SO EPIC AS WELL! :D

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Leomon no! Why do you keep sacrificing yourself? T_T

Anyways, I enjoyed that episode. Having the gang back together felt so rewarding and the climactic fight against Groundramon was so good. Takeru seeing his brother getting hurt and standing up to DarkKnightmon alongside Patamon's Evolution was so cool.

Can't wait to see Angemon vs DarkKnightmon next week. :)