Digimon Adventure: Episode 24- The Final Stage, DoneDevimon

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 24, The Final Stage, DoneDevimon

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 23.

Episode 24 airs Sunday, November 15th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, November 14th, 6:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, November 14th, 9:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, November 15th, 2:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That felt weird.

It was a great battle episode, and would have been a great end of arc episode... except the arc overall felt unfulfilling overall.

We only got a small aside with the B team, with the main focus being the battle, which I didn't mind, except that it felt like 'that' battle being amped up wasn't hinted at strongly enough in the last episode (more boats felt especially odd after celebrating things being fine last time.)

DoneDevimon being framed as the 'artificial' evolution not letting Devimon's mind evolve with him and him basically being feral in his new body was an interesting way to take it, and that theme continued with what happened with Agumon.

Interestingly we 'do' see Mugendramon, but Agumon doesn't evolve into him. It's clarified we are 'still' looking at MetalGreymon, it's a sort of a 'Ghost of Christmas' future thing, where his anger and rage is letting us see what he 'could' become, which was an interesting take on how to use it without it being a bit of a boring thing.

Tokomon and Takeru allowing the spirit of Angemon to remind Agumon of what he cares about showing us the same 'ghost' of WarGreymon to end DoneDevimon worked... better than I expected it to.

And it ends with happy Patamon!

It felt like despite many issues in episodes recently (not all of them, but quite a few), it was going to oddly be able to stick the landing, but already having another problem setup feels a bit much.

Episode worked really well... but would have been so much more fulfilling if there had been relaxation time at some point, or at least if last episode had paired with it better and given us more.

Would have been such an amazing end of arc episode, if the later half of the arc had been done better. Still pretty fun though.

ryuujinkurodou

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I would agree that this episode is the best story construction among the rest. I can feel it! It's not a bunch of soulless episode that we've already seen so far!

Ryudamon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The first two images of Patamon. Its bat ears and its butt. Very good evolutionary scene.

I love the fight scene. I thought MetalGreymon will turn virus or evolved into a Digimon with evil content. The images that they showed us did not just of how good the episode is.

Eitaroutarouman

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Now you see, this is what we should've got when they fought Nidhoggmon. At least the animation improved for the battle with the more important Digimon, story-wise.

taz111

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode was really good!!! - was glued to the screen. I absolutely LOVE Donedevimon! The emotional beats in this episode were great: Agumon popping out of Machinedramon shell was so good and I loved the fact that an Angel Digimon (Angemon) was not the one to take down the big demonic bad. I do have to say, the Angemon appearance was well played. The action is amazing as usual, but the animation in this episode was great too, especially towards the end, when it shifts and becomes more FLCL style in movement. Wargreymon's appearance was magnificently done IMO and a nice placement. I love that this series isn't following the evolution formula of the past; that if it's champion villain (big bad), the good guys would fight with champaign Digimons only, ultimate Villain (big bad), now we move to ultimate evolutions for good guys. Instead they are putting a stamp saying these enemies can come in any level, shape or form and these protagonist have to be ready. I'm really digging this series and where it's going. I'm very curious as to how the kids in the real world story will develop as those Algomons are coming out the wood works like crazy haha

Digitama

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode is really good.
I agree that the animation is better in this one.
Nice to see Mugendramon. He was doing very well against DoneDevimon.

I hope we are get more focus in the other team.

Patamon evolution loved him.

We saw WarGreymon in invisible looking!

Tarama

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hello, Mugendramon the Metal Empire big dog, I miss you.

DoneDevimon walks like a spider is something else. I like him a lot. Even though I don't see him coming back from this defeat. Like, I mean, it's WarGreymon's debut in the anime. Nice nod to V-Tamer crossover too, the shining silhouette. But if I may hope, I want DoneDevimon to come back at some point. "You fools can't easily kill me like that."

WereGarurumon Sagittarius Mode! I love it when he has so many techniques with that addition. Now he made footholds in midair. Something I found interesting here, is that Sagittarius Mode actually can fly, he shouldn't make the midair footholds. But then again, he lost so many energy in battle, Sagittarius Mode didn't enlarge his body size because of that. So to think again about it, I love him more. Very flexible and of course, cool.

Alteros to Mugendramon actually is an expected guess. And Agumon has met Andromon and Megadramon, fought MetalTyranomon. Minus MetalMamemon. Maybe they are not the cases for triggering. Maybe yes. Still an interesting fact for me.

Ragnalord

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I agree this episode is amazing animation and story wise, also the part where donedevimon consumed taichi.

That is something new for digimon and it was dark.

HawkG

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was a oddly full episode. I was expecting a dark evolution going into it and I went from mildly disappointed to very interested at a drop of a hat. The show sets it up well enough with the miasma and rightfully getting angry but that's pretty basic overall. Then Taichi gets eaten, and the rest of the emotion and character of this episode is put on MetalGreymon and I love that. Mugendramon was foreshadowing all along. Using Angemon as the key to the resolution was also well done. It game Tokomon something to do and act on by himself and letting Agumon be the one to reach out brings everything together neatly. If the digimon themseves get to have big character moments like this, I'm a little okay with the children being as stagnated as they are right now.

As a stand alone episode this is really well done, but that is probably this series' biggest problem. We have all of these little bits but the show doesn't know how to stop and let them sink in. I'm kind of tired of bringing it up each time I post so I'll cap this off with a joke. I hope you all enjoy the 3-5 minute cut away action break we get each episode because that seems to be all we're going to get.

The charm of the original show for me was the culmination of everything coming together by the end of each arc. And I think this new series can pull that off, but it needs to make its small victories feel as impactful as the final one they're setting up for.

Jmac28211

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I demand evolution sequences for all of the Baby IIs.

As was mentioned earlier, they’ve met most of the components of Mugendramon, but they haven’t met MetalMamemon. Mugendramon appeared here without his cannons. Coincidence?

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really like Donedevimon's design and attacks, very cool. But as an early villain I can't say I'm not disappointed. They were hyping him up a lot early on so I have a rather high expectation of him. But now seeing him killed off in couple of episode and realization that he is just another digimon consumed by madness really reminded me of what they did with Tri although everything else is far better.

Also they really need to start focusing on the other children otherwise this series is pretty much Taichi & Yamato's adventures...

SparkGold

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
we need a villain with personality, motives, desires, bakcstory, and Devimon was absolutely perfect for all of those. So I have massive disappointment with making him mindless for that fight, why does this show have a fear of just writing characters!? The cop out to kill off for the sake of action, visuals, and shock was bad, despite the action, shock, and visuals being great.
Anyways, good in all the places desoite what I wanted most. For now we just have to settle with being 24 episodes and 3 big bads in without any depth from our villains outside Ogremon who got killed off by another braindead monster villain

Tarama

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
we need a villain with personality, motives, desires, bakcstory, and Devimon was absolutely perfect for all of those. So I have massive disappointment with making him mindless for that fight, why does this show have a fear of just writing characters!? The cop out to kill off for the sake of action, visuals, and shock was bad, despite the action, shock, and visuals being great.
Anyways, good in all the places desoite what I wanted most. For now we just have to settle with being 24 episodes and 3 big bads in without any depth from our villains outside Ogremon who got killed off by another braindead monster villain
Hei, I totally agree. That's why I want Devimon, in whatever his form, to comeback. He is the old friend of Patamon and had role in the past.
It feels bland to think this charismatic villain, dies easily like that after coming back from his first defeat. Devimon is no Orochimon.

Chimera-gui

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I do like that, even while otherwise seemingly feral, DanDevimon seems to retain some degree of sapience despite now being non-verbal. Like you see him expressing visible worry while he is dodging Alterous Mode's Trident Arm strikes, as if he's thinking "Do not let that metal arm make contact, that will end very badly for me."

And then while Tai is losing it, DanDevimon's expression is like "Eh? Trap sprung! He he he he he he he he!" before being like "Oh shit! This was a mistake!" when Machinedramon joins the party.

Last edited:

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode... Damn I was worried for nothing due to previous episodes often with terrible animations

DoneDevimon is basically VenomVamdemon version of Devimon + miasma + Venom

The huge surprises are MetalGreymon actually evolved to Mugendramon not SkullGreymon in Dark evolution or rather it's pure rage fuel, Yamato actually survived taking that vomit of DoneDevimon at fatal close also being thrown down so hard could easily break bones...
Lastly Angemon appeared again also WarGreymon!

Mugendramon without the cannons. Why is that?? What's up with Shin-Godzilla's tail laser? First laser tail whip in Tri now this? Why give more new attacks with the tail? Why not to perform the chest to shoot missiles? And hand attacks, too!

DoneDevimon crawling on back and on four legs was so creepy and so much better than that humanoid appearance suggested!

This episode changed my mind towards DoneDevimon. Now I'm fine with Devimon having another new second Ultimate form that is simply VenomVamdemon. Honestly I have strict preferences towards Devimon evolution that is all about intelligent and vengeful. But nah I love my expectation broken to respect DoneDevimon for that!

Koushirou Izumi

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really really really wanted to like this episode but it just didn't click even though it did so many things right but the overall feeling I have is still negative.

First of all, DoneDevimon is such a cool character and his design is flawless I really enjoyed seeing him in the action and he could have been an epic final stage villain but they turned him into a mindless villain with no personality it just really felt like the menace that Devimon brings is gone and you just know that some sort of evolution is coming to get rid of him.

I'll say though, the setup for Metalgreymon going dark is solid enough to make me believe it even though Tai getting "eaten" by DoneDevimon was so ridiculous it almost took me out of the show but I got passed it. I also liked how they animated the dark version of whatever the Digimon Metalygreymon evolved to I like it when a show takes a visual artistic choice to showcase an emotion or a state of a character which was endless rage for Agumon.

And for the thing I don't like, I DESPISE how the show treats Takeru and his partner Tokkomon/Patamon/Angemon like the ultimate plot-device. who's gonna bring Omegamon? Takeru with his feather!. Who's gonna save them when they were almost killed by Velgemon? An-Almost dead Angemon. Who's gonna bring Agumon back from his dark state? you guessed it! Angemon. It feels lazy and irritating and they didn't even bother to give us a reason why they can do all this stuff? and no just being an angel digimon isn't enough to possess this silly amount of power it really just became a cheat code for the writers to go as crazy and illogical as they want in an episode and just save the day using Takeru and his partner.

Lastly, *sigh* I won't bother typing about this again because clearly, the show does not care about these characters at all that I really question why they are there other than fan-service? actually, what is the point of Sora, Koshiro, Mimi, and Jou in the show they got sidelined in the FIRST ARC even Frontier didn't treat their supporting cast this badly. If they were such a burden on these writers they could have just written the show with the 2 sets of siblings which they clearly revolved the whole show around. The preview is showcasing that we are gonna go to a different part of the digital world -beginning of a new arc- which would have been the perfect point to bring the rest of the cast back but no of course keep them in the park fighting baby Algomon for probably 5-10 more episodes and just bring them back for the last arc. disappointed but not surprised.

To end on a positive note we're getting Hikari soon (She will probably be in the digital world before the B team even gets there lmao)

Tarama

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Alteros to Mugendramon actually is an expected guess. And Agumon has met Andromon and Megadramon, fought MetalTyranomon. Minus MetalMamemon. Maybe they are not the cases for triggering. Maybe yes. Still an interesting fact for me.
Rewatched it.

Guess what I got?
Mugendramon is without canons because Agumon hasn't met MetalMamemon yet.

Last edited:

Amandil7

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Initially I had misgivings about the design based on the preview (which I felt was too cartoony to be menacing) but this episode completely turned my mind around!

The creepy way he walked on all fours, the unhinged feral ferocity, that otherworldly laugh, the fact that he incinerated one protagonist and ate the other whole!

Done Devimon was 100% done with the Digidestined's shit!

I loved the action in this episode and all the emotional moments.

Many of us called Mugendramon's appearance quite early on in the series due to the foreshadowing in MetalGreymon's evolution sequence and I thought it was done really well here.

Angemon playing a role in calming Agumon was fitting, it reminded me of the Angel's arrows that caused the two to achieve Mega forms for the first time against VenomVamdemon.

Tokomon was surprisingly knowledgeable for someone who just hatched. Patamon is a cute smol creampuff!

My one gripe was not finding out more of Angemon and Devimon's history before the latter was offed but hopefully we find out more at some point.

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Finally we reach the end of the arc. But it didn't feel satisfying. DoneDevimon was just creepy as heck with how he walked and laughed.
Interesting how the had Mugendramon but not him at the same time and all he wanted to do was rage on DoneDevimon.

Tokomon has spunk and nice to have Angemon's Spirit bring Agumon back into a Spirit WarGreymon (reminds me of V-Tamer Special). Tokomon's evolution to Patamon was sweet lol.

They need to get the others kids back involved properly.

Not sure what I feel about the preview for the next episode.