Digimon Adventure: Episode 23- The Messenger of Darkness, Devimon

BlankShell

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Say what you will, I was pretty damn stoked to see MoonMilleniummon. I've always loved the whole design of that line so I'm looking forward to seeing where that's going. Is he the same as that weird eye-thing from a few episodes back though?

I like that they turned Devimon into sort of a tragic figure, ultimately being manipulated by even more powerful forces, but I'd have liked to have spent more time with that. I'm assuming the oblique references to his "pain" and Angemon being an "old friend" will be expanded upon in the future, at any rate (I've seen some theories that he was one of the other 7 angels, so that'd be fun). I also like that Devimon's getting a new Mega, but I'm not sure how I feel about that name lol.

Good to see the B-Team evolution sequences make a comeback, it seems like they'll re-use those as necessary and that Agumon/Gabumon's are more of a reference to the original than a recurring theme (much like Kizuna). Calmaramon still went out like a punk though. And was that Kari's Digivice briefly shown before the evo sequences?

I guess next week we'll get Machinedramon...?

Kamotz

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Say what you will, I was pretty damn stoked to see MoonMilleniummon. I've always loved the whole design of that line so I'm looking forward to seeing where that's going. Is he the same as that weird eye-thing from a few episodes back though?

I like that they turned Devimon into sort of a tragic figure, ultimately being manipulated by even more powerful forces, but I'd have liked to have spent more time with that. I'm assuming the oblique references to his "pain" and Angemon being an "old friend" will be expanded upon in the future, at any rate (I've seen some theories that he was one of the other 7 angels, so that'd be fun). I also like that Devimon's getting a new Mega, but I'm not sure how I feel about that name lol.

Good to see the B-Team evolution sequences make a comeback, it seems like they'll re-use those as necessary and that Agumon/Gabumon's are more of a reference to the original than a recurring theme (much like Kizuna). Calmaramon still went out like a punk though. And was that Kari's Digivice briefly shown before the evo sequences?

I like that this guy is brand new. Having Devimon become an existing demon mega feels somehow lesser. It reduces the "Devimon" component of the character into just the "Champion form of [whatever], i think. And this actually puts more of the emphasis on the mega form instead, as being Devimon, no strings or preconceptions attached.

As for the name...ugh. I dunno...either way the English connotations are a bit lame. Done or Dan...neither do the name any favors really. I wouldn't be surprised if he was given a new dub name if/when it gets dubbed.

Mattman324

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As for the name...ugh. I dunno...either way the English connotations are a bit lame. Done or Dan...neither do the name any favors really. I wouldn't be surprised if he was given a new dub name if/when it gets dubbed.
Malodevimon.

:v

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We know that in this series old Digimons get new evolutions. There is a high chance that either MoonMillenniummon or ZeedMillenniummon will get a new evolution too. Personally I would love to see a higher level Zeed.

e105zeta

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I like that this guy is brand new. Having Devimon become an existing demon mega feels somehow lesser. It reduces the "Devimon" component of the character into just the "Champion form of [whatever], i think. And this actually puts more of the emphasis on the mega form instead, as being Devimon, no strings or preconceptions attached.

If they were going for a Alighieri reference, Nero Devimon would probably sound better.

Kamotz

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Malodevimon.

:v
I mean...I’d prefer that to DerekDevimon

gambitprime

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
After seeing how suspiciously similar the silhouette inside the gem is to MoonMilleniunmoon, I think that this reboot and the original Adventure will definitely end up connecting due to this digimon capable of traveling through time and space

Notus

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just as a note, in NeoDevimon's comeback scene, the vortex reminded me of the whilrpool of darkness from 02.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh if it'd be really great reference but it didn't have "dark" vibes there. You know where Takeru felt like he is getting dragged away as he looked at that darkness inside water whirlpool?

Lhikan634

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
New Devimon evo… Well, that's something we didn't see coming. Looks like he got taken over by the Venom symbiote. I'm not that much a fan of the simpler design, but maybe the stock art (presumably released for the next episode) will change my mind. I think I can almost see some Myotismon influence, so that may be promising.

It looks like the crystal indeed is MoonMillenniummon. I do like the Mille possibilities, as this would be the first anime appearance of any of his forms since 02 and the first appearance for Moon. But the writing really could go either way with him. It would be a nice way to tie into the temporal aberrations between the Digital and Real Worlds, though, if they went that route. What I'm more interested in is how he ties in to Devimon, DarkKnightmon, and the history of this Digital World than seeing glorified fanfic.

Also, another great meme moment: Tokomon tumbleweed. It's like he's still able to play with his old friend. One last time.

Redstar45

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
New Devimon evo… Well, that's something we didn't see coming. Looks like he got taken over by the Venom symbiote. I'm not that much a fan of the simpler design, but maybe the stock art (presumably released for the next episode) will change my mind. I think I can almost see some Myotismon influence, so that may be promising.

It looks like the crystal indeed is MoonMillenniummon. I do like the Mille possibilities, as this would be the first anime appearance of any of his forms since 02 and the first appearance for Moon. But the writing really could go either way with him. It would be a nice way to tie into the temporal aberrations between the Digital and Real Worlds, though, if they went that route. What I'm more interested in is how he ties in to Devimon, DarkKnightmon, and the history of this Digital World than seeing glorified fanfic.

Also, another great meme moment: Tokomon tumbleweed. It's like he's still able to play with his old friend. One last time.
Yeah no multiple universe thing as this version of the Adventures universe feel like if original series took place now .

Mon-Ohma

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
After several weeks spent getting beaten up by his various underlings, Greymon and Garurumon at last have the pleasure of receiving the exact same treatment from Devimon. Twice, courtesy of Takeru.

Of course this should probably come as no surprise by this point, and understandably they have to hype Devimon up as something of a big deal. But as noted we've kinda gone through this scenario of 'having the protagonists facing unbeatable odds but still getting up despite receiving heavy punishment' several times in a row now, (and set to repeat this yet again in the following) which makes this whole encounter feel just a little bit stale. Especially since there is nothing really all that outstanding about it.

I'm not exactly sure what sort of 'bullying' Takeru has been exposed to before-hand (unless he somehow assumed they were playing a game of hide-and-seek which got a bit out of hand), and if I was Devimon I'd probably be more pissed of at that comparison.

Speaking of the Devil, we get more of what is pretty much the only real interesting content in this episode, and so far the entire show. That being more hints of a history between him and the former Angemon, emphasized by a mixture of frustration and sadness directed towards Tokomon. A portrayal which puts me in mind quite a bit of Frontier's Cherubimon. Though it still remains to be seen whether or not the writers actually intend to delve further into this relationship, since we are seemingly going to be saying goodbye to Devimon very soon.
In addition, we have noticeably peculiar instances which involve jerky body movements and a lack of lip flapping when speaking. Indicating there is either some form of possession going on, lazy animation, or both. It's difficult to tell really. :p

Although it's nice to finally see the likes of Neodevimon animated (despite it not happening in that alternate version of 99 where he became Hikari's partner, but anyway...), having yet another boss villain shoot through several evolution stages so quickly can't help but invite tired comparisons. Something that the show itself virtually lampoons via a brief flashback.

As this is happening we find out that Darknightmon is still kicking, and takes the opportunity to abscond with what is seemingly Mr Villain-Stu himself. Milleniumon, in crystallized form.
Obviously a setup for future events we have yet to find out about. Though I'm prepared to wager him getting annihilated at some point by Omegamon Something-Something Mode, there by causing much fanboy rage. :p

Possibly the biggest eye-rolling moment going on throughout all this, stems from the fact that the other kids could have evolved their Digimon to Perfect at any point, but apparently needed inspiration from Taichi and Yamato first. As opposed to the motivation of stopping a fleet of tankers from crashing into Singapore.
Whilst the B plot should (I guess) be commended for giving them something to do. It's execution still comes across as rather half-hearted, and with the complimentary Joe butt-etemoning thrown in.

-----------

'Neodevimon, being a bully'

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, here's Devimon. He's probably being controlled by someone else right now. Since he didn't move his mouth to talk and was evo'd twice. Is this the first time NeoDevimon was animated? Also... Wait. Maybe I'll save this comment until next week.