Digimon Adventure: Episode 23- The Messenger of Darkness, Devimon

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 23, The Messenger of Darkness, Devimon

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 22.

Episode 23 airs Sunday, November 8th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, November 7th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, November 7th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, November 8th, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Due to the time change the episode is up now, CR had it mislabeled.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Good episode, mostly because the weight and events felt like they had weight... sort of.

Devimon slapping everyone around 'before' his evolution worked quite well, basically showing them as outclassed before NeoDevimon even showed up.

The B team getting to finish up their little story with some 'we can help' worked decently well, and having the first time we had a wave of 'evo type' sequences for them in a row added some emphasis to it all.

The scene of Tokomon rolling/blown away was amusing in just how much Tokomon seemed unconcerned.

Having the Digimon just have little to do to NeoDevimon until he lost the source of the energy allowing him to evolve was a nice touch also.

MetalGreymon sticking with Giga Destroyer while WereGarurumon used his new mode acted as a decent 'hold' to see MetalGreymon's new mode again next time.

The silhouette basically confirming the gem is indeed Milleniummon feels... eh to be honest. It's the type of thing that the people who scream loudest about wanting 'new' things to happen will super excited by, even though it's old old hat so far, minus him not having a major anime appearance.

Nice to see DarkKnightmon ride off to show up another day.

And hey, Devimon's corpse gets reanimated for (presumably) one more go.

I'm happy with the episode as 'an episode', but overall it feels like the show is spinning wheels far too much. Had we not just had the Nidhoggmon stuff come up recently I might feel different. (Although we really did need Devimon pontificating about plans or something.) So I'm in the weird position of finding the 'episode' itself good... but not being happy with it.

Last edited:

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Interesting how they incorporate the new elements into pre-existing Digimon. They're tying most of the villain Digimon together through this miasma. Splashmon is made of miasma, Devimon's Death Claw is an attack that manipulates miasma, and now MoonMillenniummon seems to be some sort of tool that instigates dark evolutions (possibly related to miasma too).

Digitama

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The episode was ok.

Most of the episode was fighting, nice to see the others digivolve to perfect and defeat calmaramon, hope they gets an upgrade in the next episodes.

I wonder what big role DarkKnightmon is playing in this series.

Interesting to see what happens to Metalgreymon and Taichi next week.

MoonMillenniummon! Exciting.

(Personally i hope DanDevimon doesn't do the same as Nidhoggmon did)

Last edited:

drtomoe123

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I am very, very excited that it looks like we’ll have Millenniumon in this series. Even if it may be old hat in one sense, we have no idea how far this series could take a character like him (they could play a huge, franchise encompassing move...) — now whether they’ll do something really special with it or go down a more predictable path is the question...

Last edited:

taz111

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was a good episode. NeoDevimon design doesn't do it for me. It looks cheap compared to Devimon's design. I do love the new form coming in the next episode! Now, the thing that caught my attention again is Devimon referring to Poyomon as an old friend. There is ovbiously something more to this Devimon and I really want to know what it is and hopefully we get a back story. Even when they defeated him, Tokomon's look and gaze towards the end of battle as if he remembered him was interesting.

Also, another thing to add - Is it me or did it seem like he was being controlled? When he grabs his head and started freaking out, it just seemed like something, someone under control would do in anime as if he was trying to fight it but couldn't.

Tarama

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not a fan of NeoDevimon fighting scene but it's alright.

and on top of that: It really is Moon. 👀

Last edited:

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm honestly curious what they're planning with DarkKnightmon. At first it seemed like he was going to just be Devimon's second-in-command, but it seems that he'll have a bigger role beyond him as it's unlikely he'll go down next episode since someone needs to move MoonMillieniummon to the next location. It'll be interesting to see how his role evolves, and if that'll mean he'll be a major antagonist himself.

Edit:
Now, the thing that caught my attention again is Devimon referring to Poyomon as an old friend. There is ovbiously something more to this Devimon and I really want to know what it is and hopefully we get a back story. Even when they defeated him, Tokomon's look and gaze towards the end of battle as if he remembered him was interesting.

Also, another thing to add - Is it me or did it seem like he was being controlled? When he grabs his head and started freaking out, it just seemed like something, someone under control would do in anime as if he was trying to fight it but couldn't.
I've seen some kick around the theory that he may be one of the Angels that got corrupted by Milleniummon. Since it doesn't look like he's the Deathmon from the flashback, that could be the angle they're going with instead.

Amandil7

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It was fun seeing Devimon just slap the two ultimates around.

I much prefer SkullSatamon, but it was great to see NeoDevimon in the flesh! I felt him losing power was a little anticlimactic given that DarkKnightmon had no problem being double teamed just last episode.

Very curious about Devimon and Angemon's backstory, perhaps Devimon was formerly one of the Angels we saw in the flashback that fell.

Really looking forward to next episode, this one was good-ish but I was expecting something more epic for Devimon after 20 eps. This just felt like a regular ep, because we are used to this whole thing after Nidhoggmon.

Naal

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Another fight episode (what can I say?).

Lately I've always find something amusing in the review. "Fierce battle led to the collapse of Devimon's castle"? More like some random light did it.

Devimon finally appeared before the kids and, of course, as powerful as it should have been. It's interesting though that his mouth didn't flap when he talked and he had a moment of robotic voice, implying he's but some sort of a puppet. The fight itself was decent. I anticipated both MetalGreymon and WereGarurumon reverted to Greymon and Garurumon at least given that the damage taken was implied to be quite severe. But of course with the power of pseudo-danger it wouldn't happen. I think this would be slightly better had they reverted and evolve again. And of course Takeru and his partner worked their magic again. The main problem with the fight is that it really was just a reminder of Nidhoggmon's one that even the characters themselves felt it.

The fact they evolved into Perfect just now is...ugh. Maybe it's because they're in a different dimension, but nobody (maybe besides the writer) might ever know. Joe's being treated like a joke again, and this time it's so lame a joke I don't know what to say.

DarkKnightmon ran away and bringing the crystal looked interesting, and I sure does hope that it really will be interesting.

Mattman324

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
"Fierce battle led to the collapse of Devimon's castle"? More like some random light did it.
So, on that note, is Eldoradimon just dead right now? They just blew up the giant fortress on its back, that can't be good for it.

AppliFang

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Izzy's teams fight was kinda soso for me....i thought it was gonna be a little harder like Splashmon lol

Im guess the next 12-24 episode will have Darknightmon being the "boss"

Maybe Milleniummon will take over and be the final boss?

Leoil01

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thinking back to the interviews when the show started the writers did say the digivolution would be tied to their synchronicity so to evolve they have to be in sync with thier partner which didn't happen until they steeled thier resolve and the digivice began to glow this could also explains why they evolve through fighting rather than showing their crest trait

Brubarb

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm not sure I like the story telling this season. What I like about Digimon Adventure 01 is that they actually had real challenges and suffered losses. In this reboot, they just deux ex machina power ups... or downgrades in this episode. It kind of makes me angry.

Calmaramon also wasn't even fully functional. Calmaramon is supposed to have a humanoid top and real attacks. Doesn't make sense to me

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Deus Ex Machina has always been what Digimon Adventure ran on. New evolutions, holy glowing, random prophecies, Crest lassos, and Digivice beam cages.

Brubarb

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
"Fierce battle led to the collapse of Devimon's castle"? More like some random light did it.
So, on that note, is Eldoradimon just dead right now? They just blew up the giant fortress on its back, that can't be good for it.
That is actually horrible if they just destroyed Eldoradimon :(

Deus Ex Machina has always been what Digimon Adventure ran on. New evolutions, holy glowing, random prophecies, Crest lassos, and Digivice beam cages.
At least they actually had character development to activate their crests. Here, it's just... "okay, let's do it!" *Magical glow* everything is all good and works in our favour.
Do you remember how many times they actually lost to Devimon bar Angemon's sacrifice, and how many times they lost to Etemon, Myotismon and the Dark Masters?

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I thought Devimon was going to evolve by using that swamp and mystery crystal but nope. Weird, I really thought Devimon is calm and intelligent as he show up but instead of that... He was all... In pain and opening mouth like gasping for some time. What the Hades?!

Shame Lilimon and others are confirmed to not to have obtain new modes. Damn it.

Neodevimon pushed WereGarurumon was really very worst and weird. WereGarurumon and MetalGreymon took too many hits and they didn't sufffer any heavy damages.................. WTF?

Devimon's attacks were buffed probably thanks to that mist but how did the mist appeared out of nowhere......?

That crystal. Did I saw that dark flame shaped like that MoonMillieniumon just now? Just for a second?

Did that DarkMaildramon grew huge?

I guess Taichi's team and Koushiro's team saved each others which is great thing for me. At least it doesn't have to be always Taichi and Yamato.

I'm surprised Neodevimon can evolve! So excited!

Koushirou Izumi

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Maaan this episode was OK...but some stuff still bugs me.

First and foremost what the $%&# were the B team thinking not going perfect like right away, I guess we can overlook Birdramon, Togemon, and Kabuterimon because they were captured quickly but then you think mmmm maybe Zudomon will come and save the da....nope he tried another surprise attack even tho Kabuterimon tried the. same exact thing 2 seconds ago and it didn't work......moments like these just ruin the entire plotline and it showcases how weak the storytelling is so far. Also, I completely understand we needed something for the unimportant characters to do but like really? 3 episodes fighting Calmaramon? they needed a more threatening villain to fight since Tai and Yamato got to fight so many interesting villains.

Going on a more positive note, I REALLY liked Devimon's moments and characterizations here, Idk if I'm reaching but since he keeps referring to Tokomon/Angemon as his friend as well as screaming and suffering it (unsubtly lmao writers) indicates that he could be another fallen angel and I like that twist of him being controlled and a corrupted angel while also not being Angemon as we expected rather than being the big bad number 1 is a different take that we haven't seen yet...I just wish we can expand on that with some backstory but from the looks of it, we will just rehash the same tired plotline we did with BOTH Algomon and Eyesmon....yay.(not every single bad guy need to evolve through perfect AND mega to be threatening Adventure writers :) )

And to finish off it is really cool that they are giving Devimon a new original mega form but they again used the word miracle and I'm SCARED. Please no more miracles man we are tired. I swear if they used miracle one more time in a preview I might just pull out my hair LOL.

Tarama

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Rewatched it.

Devimon helped SkullKnightmon to evolve. Then DarkKnightmon helped NeoDevimon to evolve.

Please, DoneDevimon, don't die.
Just don't die, Done!