Digimon Adventure: Episode 21- The Tide-turning Update

Ricardolindo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think this episode was good. Takeru was brave going to the bottom of the hole. Splashmon was a tough opponent. Taichi was also brave in risking himself to save MetalGreymon. His Alteros update was deserved. I was surprised to see Devimon's castle turning out to be part of a Digimon. Meanwhile, it was also nice to see the parallel plot with the others and their Digimon facing a new threat to Tokyo.

Deep Saver

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The episode itself was nothing special. However, if they are actually planning to do something involving X-Antibody lore in Colon and not just steal some design elements from it for new kinda underwhelming forms, you can color me intrigued.

Neilandio

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think this episode was good. Takeru was brave going to the bottom of the hole. Splashmon was a tough opponent. Taichi was also brave in risking himself to save MetalGreymon. His Alteros update was deserved. I was surprised to see Devimon's castle turning out to be part of a Digimon. Meanwhile, it was also nice to see the parallel plot with the others and their Digimon facing a new threat to Tokyo.
This time it's not Tokyo that's under attack, it's Singapore.

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The episode itself was nothing special. However, if they are actually planning to do something involving X-Antibody lore in Colon and not just steal some design elements from it for new kinda underwhelming forms, you can color me intrigued.
I'm pretty sure it's stated in lore, that the X-Antibody brings out a Digimon's untapped latent abilities, and the reason some of them don't change that much when they get it, is because they're already manifested most of their strength. So you could say it was Tai's Courage that allowed him to tap into those hidden attributes, if that is indeed what they're getting at.

Banimon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm pretty sure it's stated in lore, that the X-Antibody brings out a Digimon's untapped latent abilities, and the reason some of them don't change that much when they get it, is because they're already manifested most of their strength. So you could say it was Tai's Courage that allowed him to tap into those hidden attributes, if that is indeed what they're getting at.
If that is true its interesting that he tapped into his darker versions potential which potentially sets up more the idea of Taichi having a darker Ultimate evolution like Mugendramon or Chaosdramon

BlankShell

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was a very good episode. Fast paced, but one that gave everyone something to do. Not that I'm inherently against the focus of Matt and Tai (and TK!) but Digimon is frequently at its best when it leans into the ensemble cast. The animation was a little spotty in parts, but whatever.

DarkMaildramon is new, right? Not often we get variants of Armor Digimon so that was a surprise. Speaking of surprises, Eldoradimon was definitely not what I was expecting; ordinarily I'd say they might re-use him, but this series has been pretty efficient with chasing down enemies so I don't foresee this fortress lasting much longer. Shoutout to TK; I kinda like this "brave, slightly dumb, mostly quiet" version as a sort of inverse of his OG counterpart.

Of course, the MetalGreymon power up is the big star. I had an inkling they might do something like that after last week's episode when they got the holy energy boost, but a full mode change is pretty tight. Presumably WereGarurumon will be next, but I imagine that'll be it until we get to Megas.

Nice to see baby Argomon back too, but man they really love their apocalypse scenarios don't they. Stuff for the other kids to do is always welcome though, and I liked the Mimi scenes with her family; that it lingered on her grandpa I would assume foreshadows some developments with him. Joe getting a pep talk (and a prep kit) from his older brother was fun, although DEFINITELY something that seemed more fun and appropriate in the 90's; here it seems kinda irresponsible? Maybe I'm just getting old.

Golden_Fate

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Can't tell you how happy I am to start seeing some of the family members of the other kids. I am surprised their designs are unchanged, though not complaining! I hope we see some more of them!
I wonder if Shuu or the Kido parents have a shot of showing up, as neither of them showed up in the original adventure.

DragonicEmperor

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Another meh episode. Fight was bad and looked equally so in terms of animation. Taichi's upgrade was undeserved yet again.

At this point, this entire anime is just spitting all over the Digimon spirit in terms of unlocking evolutions through development and insights.

Eitaroutarouman

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
How was it undeserved? He clearly almost died trying to save MetalGreymon. And all they got out of it was a fancy railgun arm. It's not really on the same level as a full on evolution.

e105zeta

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
How was it undeserved? He clearly almost died trying to save MetalGreymon. And all they got out of it was a fancy railgun arm. It's not really on the same level as a full on evolution.
He already almost died to save Koromon in episode 1, it’s not interesting or new anymore.

It also makes the many “sacrifices” less emotional if all they have to do to win a fight is to put themselves in harms way and it’s a guaranteed new Super Saiyan Ultra Instinct Blue Rose Turbo Mega form.

Ricardolindo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This time it's not Tokyo that's under attack, it's Singapore.
I hadn't realized that. Thanks for the clarification.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A lot of Digimon from other seasons is nice to see. But that was an interesting power up. You almost wonder if anyone else will get it that isn't these two. That might be a fun way to hold off on the Megas.

Mon-Ohma

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
On the trail of the stolen Digitama. Taichi, Onii-chan and Takeru finally reach Château Devimon, who decides to pad an already stretched plot out a bit more by setting the non-bishie/loli Splashmon on them. Inevitably this leads to a big drawn out fight as Onii-chan forgets to use reverse psychology on Takeru, who (and with a sizable collection of moulted feathers by this point) climbs down a big hole.
Meanwhile back in the real world the other kids desperately try to keep themselves relevant by focussing on stopping a hijacked oil tanker, before some muscle-headed idiot has the bright idea to try and fight it.

After a good deal of getting their arses kicked over the course of some stiffly animated sequences, Taichi decides it is time once again to blur the line between reckless and courageous, and follows that up by delivering an 'inspiring speech' that is (rather gratingly) centred on concern for their mission, rather then his partner's suffering...

*Cue some magic Shōnen stuff*

Metalgreymon miraculously regenerates, and it turns out all that miasma stuff we spent several episodes avoiding can provide the protagonists with handy items like railgun attachments. Which is of course the ideal thing for dealing with a Digimon that can turn itself into liquid. :p

Once that obstacle it out of the way, we end on the revelation that the castle was built on top of an imprisoned ElDoradimon, which the disobedient Takeru has befriended and released.
As apparent thanks it opens up its skull, allowing the group entrance as Devimon looks on, quietly relieved that no asked it to roll over.

------

In short, a fairly mediocre episode, mostly devoted to hyping up Metalgreymon's new toy. Which is apparently enough for Bandai to market as a separate mode.
The fight with Splashmon was essentially an underwhelming combination of both the Metaltyrannomon and Eyesmon encounters. Where the Partners futilely utilize conventional tactics against an unconventional opponent, until a more powerful conventional tactic does the job.
In addition, my noted shallowness of Taichi's character up to this point, which added no real substance to what was seemingly meant to be a heartfelt moment between him and Metalgreymon, rather then (another) easy narrative device to gain a power-up.

The most positive thing I can probably say, is at least they didn't forget the existence of Mimi's grandpa. Whilst Devimon's expanded role is currently the only real thing maintaining my fluctuating interest.

-------

Additional:

Turns out Gomamon is aerodynamic.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
He's Hydrodynamic so of course that would work too. But I did notice that myself.