Digimon Adventure: Episode 21- The Tide-turning Update

AppliFang

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
From finally seeing Calmaramon's body and Joe/Mimi's family and Eldradimon (since savers) this episode was action packed!
-The way Tk held his digivce up the the wires was a nice call back to Tai rescuing Sora in the OG version
-And Metalgreymon's upgrade....im guess we won't get mega quite yet, but some kind of upgrade for all the ultimate/perfect forms
-Also loved how they finally sped up the evo sequence xD
Cant wait for next week! ^^

Last edited:

Guilmon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I love how when Takeru tried to say something other than "Onii-chan", Yamato straight up shut him up. It's like the characters themselves know their dynamics are boring and they are intent on keeping them that way.

Talking about dynamics, I'm still not sure why they decided to separate Taichi and Yamato from the rest of the group. I actually didn't mind at first, since them being rivals = conflict, but so far the writing has done nothing to bring in some kind of tension or disagreement between them.

Oh well, at least Metalgreymon got a new powerup, I guess? And in keeping with tradition, it didn't feel earned. And we also got a couple more cardboard cutout monsters of the week with no personality whatsoever, so that's cool.

...sigh. This show lacks heart.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode is really full of surprises.

We have two water digimons. One for digital world: Splashmon and one for the human world: Calamaramon. But I was surprised to see Calamaramon had a new ability to control those Algomon babies? How?? And I just realized miasma is probably Splashmon's special ability, those drops or something to control, I guess it might be causing digimons go evil as "berserker" emotion?

The animation still kept going down and up WTF? But I was really shocked to see the Railgun arm whose belonged to MetalGreymon X (Virus) that appeared on our MetalGreymon?! How?! Frontier, Savers and even Xros appeared then now this X antibody? This Adventure 2020 is full of crossover references... I'm not sure how I am supposed to react on this but this animation ruined it but still happy to see that in ANIME.

I knew the big eye belonged to that ELdoradimon but I didn't know he can open his helmet as the huge door! And where is the big brain?!

X Antibody defeating Xros made me happy 3x times! But why involve X antibody....

Importantly... Did Devimon just flick in DBZ style? Now he is really MENACING with that DBZ flicker! Way badass than Devimon in Adventure 01!

Oddly this episode put me in good mood. Worried for nothing lol

Tarama

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The madmen have done it. They added X-Antibody to the universe of Adventure:. The miasma apparently has the power of X-Antibody and transformed MetalGreymon's arm into MetalGreymon (Vi) X's Alteros arm. I guess this is the "new evolution" that Devimon is striving for.
This may be true.
In addition, I guess the virus miasma brought to Digimon's body, in this case MetalGreymon, has the effect to potentiality open a new evolution path in the future, like MetalGreymon (virus) or even BlitzGreymon. Because I don't think miasma is the X Antibody itself.

Assuming the new Starter Deck Card is spoiler lol.

Last edited:

Leoil01

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I love how when Takeru tried to say something other than "Onii-chan", Yamato straight up shut him up. It's like the characters themselves know their dynamics are boring and they are intent on keeping them that way.

Talking about dynamics, I'm still not sure why they decided to separate Taichi and Yamato from the rest of the group. I actually didn't mind at first, since them being rivals = conflict, but so far the writing has done nothing to bring in some kind of tension or disagreement between them.

Oh well, at least Metalgreymon got a new powerup, I guess? And in keeping with tradition, it didn't feel earned. And we also got a couple more cardboard cutout monsters of the week with no personality whatsoever, so that's cool.

How!! Was that not earned tai literally burned his hands in miasma to save metalgreymon what do they have to do to make it feel earned l lose an arm!!!?

e105zeta

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

How!! Was that not earned tai literally burned his hands in miasma to save metalgreymon what do they have to do to make it feel earned l lose an arm!!!?
Because every single kid in this show is the exact same person as they were in their introduction. By this time in 01, Tai had already nearly gone insane with a mixture of power and the responsibility of being a leader, considered abandoning his friends and then restrengthened his resolve.

2020 Tai is generic good boy with no real flaws who gets rewarded with deus ex machina new evolutions whenever things get tough.

Adventure had characters, 2020 has blank slates.

It’s basically like first gen pokemon when Ash’s Pikachu would just summon bigger blasts of electricity to defeat far superior opponents with no training, effort, or strategy on the part of either Ash or Pikachu.

Lilimonblooms

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Taichi and yamato are getting so much screentime!!
Metalgreymon is appearing way too much while garudamon and lilimon are so inexistant !

Leoil01

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Because every single kid in this show is the exact same person as they were in their introduction. By this time in 01, Tai had already nearly gone insane with a mixture of power and the responsibility of being a leader, considered abandoning his friends and then restrengthened his resolve.

2020 Tai is generic good boy with no real flaws who gets rewarded with deus ex machina new evolutions whenever things get tough.

It’s basically like first gen pokemon when Ash’s Pikachu would just summon bigger blasts of electricity to defeat far superior opponents with no training, effort, or strategy on the part of either Ash or Pikachu.
This is the main problem with the digimon fandom everyone is stuck in the past if every season isn't a copy of thier precious adventure its genaric and terrible this is why the reboot exists because people cant let go of the original series

e105zeta

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

This is the main problem with the digimon fandom everyone is stuck in the past if every season isn't a copy of thier precious adventure its genaric and terrible this is why the reboot exists because people cant let go of the original series
It’s not about new or old, it’s about bad writing vs good. 2020 is bad writing, plain and simple.

2020 is the fight scenes from a video game without any of the story that makes us care if the characters in the fight scene live or die.

These aren’t the characters from 20 years ago, which would probably be fine if they were still characters.

But they aren’t, they’re cardboard cutouts with the faces of old characters being worn for marketing purposes.

Jscarlos18

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hope Tai and Yamato aren't the only ones getting cool new stuff like in the original Adventure(looking at you Ultimate evolutions and Omegamon), otherwise the new modes aren't so bad n my opinion.
The only think that annoys me is that Alteros is a weapon made for the original MetalGreymon(the one from the V-Pet) X Antibody form.

dgmn

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Agree with Lord Bearmon on the mode/upgraded ultimate digimon. In anime it doesn't have to have any connection with even x-forms. Maybe they are retconning whole universe for this series.

Maybe it's just what it is - a permanent upgrade (I say that because some here believe MetalGreymon immediately lost it and it was just a moment writers thought of as convenient).

Now how he gained it is a topic - we can see clearly that he, spurred by Tai's desire to free him from Splashmon's clutches, absorbed and/or purified along the way that dark miasma in his arm.
Now this makes powers of darkness effect that was explained by the aura of many digimon completely useless as a plot point if it's just x-evolution (won't know it 'till they explain what was inside Splashmon, and what is that crystal thing)

TyXo22m

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I guess the powerup is cool and all, but Digimon's often-complained-about "Gogglehead and Rival" bias is rearing its ugly head again. But getting to see the families again makes up for it. Which Joe brother was that?
Well at the end of the episode where we get information about metalgreymon.
It says "Does kabuterimon also hold a secret?" So I'm guessing everyone gets an update.

Piers

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm not convinced that the Alteros Mode nor the miasma has anything to do with X-antibody. Only that their design was inspired by the X form.
Ep. 22 preview spoilers:
WereGarurumon gets his X-antibody back-blades.
I'd be agreeing with you if I hadn't seen the above before this episode, as I wouldn't realise his new arm comes from Virus X-Antibody. (But why virus?) Like MetalGreymon's arm could just be chalked up to his mechanical nature, or be foreshadowing to BlitzGreymon's artillery focus.

Last edited:

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Excellent episode. I forgot to mention it last week but I like that they acknowledge SkullKnightmon has actual hands and not just spear-arms that his artwork might make you think. Him riding DarkMaildramon felt very fitting for the whole Black Knight aesthetic.

I really liked seeing more of a glimpse into Mimi and Joe's home life, Shin being so understanding of Joe was particularly nice. Cool to see the squid lady from Frontier return (though I would've preferred bae Ranamon >_>) hopefully she can do more than just a twirl attack this time.

That battle with Splashmon though, wew I got tense towards the end and very pleased to see that it's not the debut of the Megas just yet. Incorporating the X-Antibody forms into a powerup... I wonder if that's going to be plot relevant considering MetalGreymon absorbed Devimon's miasma.... :unsure:

ShogunMamemon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What happend with DeadlyAxemon? I mean... they were buddys 4 life! Who is this so called "Dark"Maildramon? And is he helping Skull to shinka? That would be too much for me.
... DeadlyAxemon is dead, isn't he? That's why. :cry:

Guilmon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
what do they have to do to make it feel earned l lose an arm!!!?
This review of episode 10 put it quite well:

See, these kinds of upgrades in stories of superheroics, and especially in Digimon as a franchise, work best when they come about as a result of some evolution or revolution for the characters involved. Taichi and Agumon gaining the power to evolve to the Ultimate level should have been a reward for them overcoming some sort of limiting character flaw, or gaining new insight into their own partnership, introspecting on what working together means for them. But there's nothing of the sort here, with Goggle-guy and Dinosaur-dude just charging courageously into this latest battle as they always have for the past ten twenty episodes.

Neilandio

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't think the other kids are getting powerups, this looks like a Taichi and Yamato thing only and that might be why the writers decided to separate them. I do think they will all get x antibody forms though. If devimon's dark miasma turns out to be the x program then the x antibody is the perfect power up to fight against him. And let's not forget that this show likes to include digimon from all generations. They have already included digimon from the digimental generation, the spirit generation and the xros generation. Wouldn't be weird to see digimon from the x antibody generation.

TyXo22m

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't think the other kids are getting powerups, this looks like a Taichi and Yamato thing only and that might be why the writers decided to separate them. I do think they will all get x antibody forms though. If devimon's dark miasma turns out to be the x program then the x antibody is the perfect power up to fight against him. And let's not forget that this show likes to include digimon from all generations. They have already included digimon from the digimental generation, the spirit generation and the xros generation. Wouldn't be weird to see digimon from the x antibody generation.
At the end of the episode, there is a scene discussing Metal Greymon's new form. And in the dialouge it says, does Kabuterimon also hold a secret?.
So maybe the others do get an upgrade aswell.

Dynamicmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
At the end of the episode, there is a scene discussing Metal Greymon's new form. And in the dialouge it says, does Kabuterimon also hold a secret?.
So maybe the others do get an upgrade aswell.
tbf, Izzy says a lot of offhand things during these profile bits that dont go anywhere. We wont know for sure until the Tokyo group can meet up with their Digis