Digimon Adventure: Episode 21- The Tide-turning Update

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 21, The Tide-turning Update

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 20.

Episode 21 airs Sunday, October 25th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, October 24th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, October 24th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, October 25th, 2:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

Ryudamon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Kinda different from the original Digimon. On here, it shows that TK is very brave. Climbing down a massive hole in the ground, and almost fall into molten liquid.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We start with Spadamon showing up to help, and it's Asami Sanada returning to the role. A nice easter egg, even if Spadamon didn't have much to say.

The episode splits attention between multiple things, which felt like it was to the benefit of it, as none of the parts felt like they were meaty enough to hold an episode on their own.

The battle with Splashmon was interesting, if a bit basic for much of it.

Takeru wandering off on his own to find something to do would have been more interesting if we had been introduced to him more properly, but by this point mostly we just got Yamato shushing him and him commenting on the holy Digimon sacrificing. Nice that he's doing stuff though.

Sora and Koushiro are still at the park, commenting on things. Nice that the Digimon have things to do on the other side though (Gomamon can swim through the digital space but Palmon can't I guess?)

Seeing Mimi and Jou have minor interactions with their families was nice (and Jou didn't quite get played for a joke, which I liked.)

Calamaramon opens up to reveal she looks roughly as she always did, and is controlling the Algomon (also interesting thing to have Koushiro not quite recognize them until they evolve, since I don't believe he ever saw them at a lower level.)

Takeru frees ElDoradimon who helps them by letting them in at the end was... I don't know if it was interesting, it felt like he needed to say something.

The mode change for MetalGreymon to MetalGreymon: Alteros Mode, adding in something from a different MetalGreymon feels like it's a way to cheat and not evolve, as much as I did like seeing the big cannon. That they lampshade doing this for everyone via Koushiro at the end felt not so great.

Basically it's a case of... mostly good enough, but not enough really happens, especially in the sense of ongoing story, it's just ramping up more. We need them to steal that egg back and then relax sitting at a restaurant for an episode or something.

Eitaroutarouman

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I guess the powerup is cool and all, but Digimon's often-complained-about "Gogglehead and Rival" bias is rearing its ugly head again. But getting to see the families again makes up for it. Which Joe brother was that?

CloneWarrior

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Did we get info on Alteros Mode before the episode aired? I see Wikimon has art and a name for it, but just says it's from Digimon Web.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The madmen have done it. They added X-Antibody to the universe of Adventure:. The miasma apparently has the power of X-Antibody and transformed MetalGreymon's arm into MetalGreymon (Vi) X's Alteros arm. I guess this is the "new evolution" that Devimon is striving for.

CloneWarrior

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I knew I recognized that gun arm, but couldn't think of where it was from. I initially thought I was mistakenly thinking of RizeGreymon X, but forgot all about MetalGreymon Virus X.

taz111

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was an edge of seat episode for me. This episode had a very dark tone to it, but I like the developments here and the emotions of the characters. Tai's courage really shined and I loved the X anti body nod with MetalGreymon X's arm. In all honesty, I was expecting Wargreymon like most were predicting, but this was really cool! and looking at the preview for next episode, we will get to see Weregarurumon X's wings etc on Weregarurumon. I love these cool Surprises.

Also, loved the new added animation to Garurumon's and Greymon's Evolutions at the end when they leap forward into screen.

Last edited:

Ragnalord

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wonder now if omegamon will get x antibody 1.5 mode.

Honestly this episode makes me sad, there are so many digimon without actual evo lines and there are so many digimon that don't come close to agumom, gabumon and dorumon level of evolutions, leomon is coming close.

I dont mind but it just makes me sad.

Paruseruru mafubu

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Alteros Mode, this was completely unexpected. the Alteros of the X Antibody Metal Greymon (Virus) being added to Metal Greymon's right arm.

This reboot continues to amaze and how it isn't a rehash of the original series which should be left alone. I love the action and storytelling. It keeps me eagerly anticipating each new episode and that is not something a lot of shows can do anymore these days.

MechaMadness

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting Alteros Mode at all. I was leaning towards either a Dark Digivolution with SkullGreymon or MetalGreymon Virus, or even getting WarGreymon super early, especially for the former given we saw MetalGreymon's bones appear as energy for a brief moment.

The fact that they acknowledged the X-Antibody at all is incredibly surprising, and pulled from MetalGreymon (Virus) X specifically as opposed to just upgrading MetalGreymon's Trident Arm from Vaccine X is very neat. As someone who's always loved Virus more then Vaccine due to stuff like DMW1, I'll take any nods to it I can get.

Considering what Alteros Mode takes from and the fact that we seem to be getting WereGarurumon X's wings/fins in the next episode, it does make me wonder if "the special evolution" Devimon is looking for is straight up X-Evolution, and the miasma is able to work as a substitute for the X-Program to facilitate it. Overall, I'm really interested to see where this goes.

Dynamicmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The fact that they acknowledged the X-Antibody at all is incredibly surprising, and pulled from MetalGreymon (Virus) X specifically as opposed to just upgrading MetalGreymon's Trident Arm from Vaccine X is very neat. As someone who's always loved Virus more then Vaccine due to stuff like DMW1, I'll take any nods to it I can get.
technically they did have X-Antibody stuff in those bees during the Garudamon episode, though like the arm here, they don't call it out as such. It's funny that there were theories of the miasma making it go to the OG Virus form and well....kinda? though more borrowing than becoming. (also a bigger fan of the big blue brute, myself)

Naal

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, this was an okay episode but nothing much happened...again.

That upside-down Velgrmon in the review though, did we get that shot in the last episode?

It's nice to see Mimi and Jou interacting with their family, and it's nice to see the digimon in the net have something to do. Palmon being carried while Gomamon can swim in the air was weird, but I'll just take it as that. Most of all, it's nice to see the real-world-casts have screen time for more than 1-2 minutes.

The battle with Splashmon was okay, but I'm glad that they didn't try to put Ultimate/Mega here and just add Alteros to his right arm.

Takeru getting down the hole is a little weird imo, but I guess he had to do something because his brother shuts him off when he wanted to talk. :)

I wonder what 'Takeshi Kusao's "solo acting" was interesting' bit that's mentioned before.

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Man there are so many easter eggs from this episode! They are bringing digimons from all other seasons and this series is almost an upgrade version of Xros Wars...
That splashmon fight was bit strange but awesome:):)

Ryudamon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I am going to say that that Splashmon: Darkness Mode, I am not really a fan of. We already had Splashmon on the Bagra Army saga in X-ros Wars. I rather see the human Splashmon then its wolf form. The wolf form looks more or less like a wrongly painted Garurumon.

Peppermon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I am going to say that that Splashmon: Darkness Mode, I am not really a fan of. We already had Splashmon on the Bagra Army saga in X-ros Wars. I rather see the human Splashmon then its wolf form. The wolf form looks more or less like a wrongly painted Garurumon.
Wolf form looks more like a tiger. I forgot it was a wolf until you said that and was taking it as a white tiger.

Chimera-gui

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Uhh...Yeah Splashmon is the Water Tiger, not wolf.

Koushirou Izumi

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This reboot is trying to do too much that it ends up doing....nothing? Not much happened in this episode...Again

I'm just ready for this whole chase plotline to be over it is super repetitive and uninteresting. Also, we always criticized Adventure for their favoritism of Tai and Yamato but god it was never as bad as this reboot, they literally wrote most of the cast out of the story just so they can give them powerups and cool moments while the other kids sit in a park doing random stuff? The whole net plotline feels so out-of-place its literally an attempt to give the other kids something to do and newsflash writers you failed......AGAIN

I continue to be extremely underwhelmed week after week so I might have to lower my expectations, only the problem is my expectations are so low already that I'm surprised the show continues to disappoint me as much as it does. Finger crossed for a huge turn of events :cry:

e105zeta

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The Garurumon family basically already are wolf/tiger hybrids.

The other mode changes:
* Were Garurumon gets the blades, though since they don’t actually do anything for Were Garurumon X but foreshadow Metal Garurumon who knows what they’ll do or what the name is?
* Garudamon: Great Spirit mode where she gets the giant totem as a weapon.
* Lilimon Sleepy Bud mode sounds stupid, it also just has her kick things.
* Angewomon Grand Mode?
* No Atlur Kabuterimon, Zudomon, or Holy Angemon X antibody.