Digimon Adventure: Episode 20- The Seventh One Awakens

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Pretty great episode. Creative action sequence, and some nice hints on what's to come with the kids in the real world. The only thing that bugs me is that Angemon was stated (or at least heavily implied) to be held at an enemy base. But it seems like he was just confined in some random underground space. Even if we are to take is that the entire base was just an underground prison for Angemon, it was even really made clear that they were currently in the vicinity of it, so it just felt like he arrived out of the blue.

Ricardolindo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think this episode was pretty good. It was nice seeing Taichi and Yamato rescuing Takeru. It really showed the brother bond between Yamato and Takeru. Then, Takeru's cries releasing Angemon was also pretty good to watch. Finally, Angemon interacting with Takeru, giving MetalGreymon and WereGarurumon enough energy to defeat Velgemon and finally dying and being reborn was dramatic.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
In adventure they reform at primary village with elecmon so we wouldn't see an egg forming theoretically the data would disperse like we see when they die and then regather there
Well the problem thing is, does this Adventure 2020 have "reborning" village there? Since it's not File Island anymore now. Also why Takeru only the special one that got Patamon's digitama nearby unlike others even Wormmon's digitama was relocated at that village in both Adventure 01 and this 2020?

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wormmon's Digitama went to the Village of Beginnings because Ken couldn't be trusted with it.

BlankShell

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Bit of a slow episode, a lot of chasing back and forth. I wish the tension had been a little higher, but I liked the twist at the end when the egg gets nabbed and the reveal that Devimon plans to corrupt it (which presumably won't happen, unless we're in for Daemon at some point...?). Velgemon did make for a good monster enemy, though I wish they hadn't dispatched it in one episode.

WereGarurumon riding a Giga missile has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've seen from this franchise though. And a bummer that Leomon couldn't join the fight, although I like how some people mentioned that Leomon only beat Minotaurmon because of the level confusion, but here he is kicking Megadramon's ass anyway.

The holy power boost on the two Ultimates was actually some really cool animation, I dug the feather particle effects.

Next week looks interesting. Might we be in for the foreshadowed Dark Digivolution?

Vice

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Velgrmon? Velgrmon is back, I love seeing all these Digimon from Frontier, Savers, & even Xros Wars make an appearance. Yamato wanting to save Takeru, gave me Digimon Frontier vibes to when Koji tried to save Kouji or when Rei tried rescuing Hajime in AppliMonsters. The animation during the fight was nice, I hope they give us a backstory later on as to how Takeru met Angemon and ended up getting kidnapped.

Angemon’s entrance was amazing wow.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
TK was a surprise. But they got TK then they got Angemon but then he's an egg and they have the egg but now he's eggnapped. Nice to see Skull Knightmon though. ...I'm guessing everyone's expecting DeadlyAxmon too?

Mon-Ohma

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

From the people who brought you 'Snakes on a Plane!'

----------

On the continuing Adventures of Taichi and Yamato (guest starring some other kids), we play a drinking game for every time "Takeru" and "Onii-chan" gets used.

Velgrmon shows up to pinch the lad, kills Valvemon for the hell of it (because it's not as if the guy hasn't suffered enough already), and our heroes give chase.
Oh yes, Megadramon also shows up. But realizing there is not enough budget to go round, he and Leomon thoughtfully decide to go elsewhere.
Cue yet another one of those big action sequences largely designed to carry episodes such as this. Though it benefits from the fact Velgrmon isn't treated as a pushover thankfully. He was a pretty tough opponent back in Frontier, so I'm glad that menace was maintained here to a degree. Along with his deadly Zone Deleter, which has always been a favourite of mine.

What exactly Angemon was doing imprisoned underground in that particular spot the group just happened to be conveniently flying near at the time (fortunate for Takeru), I don't know. But by this point I have taken to assuming that will again be one of those details the writers won't bother covering. But Deus-ex-Machinas and Angemons have a long history together, and this incarnation wastes very little time in giving the other two partners power boosts.

Although clearly intended to be meant as an emotional moment by having Takeru meet Angemon in such a manner, before the latter's pseudo-death. It's a moment also clearly meant to emulate the impact of his initial appearance in the original, and as a result falls a bit flat due to lacking that bond already established with Patamon beforehand.
A recurring problem where the reboot seemingly wants to be its own thing, but at the same time falls back to relying on our familiarity with the older version in order to fill in certain substance for it.