Digimon Adventure: Episode 20- The Seventh One Awakens

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 20, The Seventh One Awakens

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 19.

Episode 20 airs Sunday, October 18th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, October 17th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, October 17th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, October 18th, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The episode jumps into it quickly (and tosses Leomon off to the side so he can't help.)

Chasing after Velgrmon to get Takeru worked well enough, especially Yamato's desperation. And I rather liked using both Giga Destroyer and Trident Arm to get people over to Velgrmon (they really wanted to reuse that WereGarurumon surfing on the missile animation since they used it twice.)

The cutaway to Koushiro and Sora was nice, as was confirmation the Digimon are OK. Sora being chewed out for vanishing for 3 days, and Koushiro seemingly not wanting to clarify what happened to him when he went home, curious to see if they've changed his status quo from the old series.

Mention of things not 'quite' being back to normal, and showing that the Algomon are still causing issues was interesting, but it feels like it needs more solid follow up on if at this point, they are involved with a plan, or just 'things eating'.

Much of the rest of the episode was some nice battle material, and Angemon showing up. Having his death be right as Takeru meets him is an interesting remix on what happened in the old series, moreso that it's being integrated into plot elements, hopefully it does them well up until Patamon finally appears.

Not quite a full introduction for Takeru yet, but hopefully we get that in the next episode as they begin to go after SkullKnightmon to get the egg back.

I would still like a 'not much happens and the characters relax' episode sooner rather than later. Those one off slow relaxing episodes often help as a breather, as Adventure: does just keep on going.

I was getting some odd audio distortion through my app for the episode, so it was as bit annoying. Doesn't seem to be the device as it was fine, but may have to play with settings later.

Last edited:

Eitaroutarouman

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Don't worry, TK. Angemon'll come back. If you want him to. More seriously, I really wish TK actually...communicated. A good chunk of his dialogue was just "oniichan!" over and over and it quickly got old. I get he's in a strange place and is probably overwhelmed and all, but I felt his "introduction" could've been handled a teensy bit better.

Last edited:

CloneWarrior

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Interesting that they finally gave us levels for all the Xros Wars Digimon so it's easier to fit them in here, then threw a bunch of Digimon with unclear levels at us anyway (Minotaurmon, Bullmon, Velgrmon, Calmaramon).

Tarama

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's a bit weird for me to see Koshiro and Sora move to other place when there're woman and her child come near to them. It's 2020, there are bunch of random avatar in internet and you can do video call.

Well, maybe if I was Koshiro I would do the same too avoiding unwanted questions in that kind of situation lol.

MechaMadness

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode was neat. Enjoyed the teamwork between MetalGreymon and WereGarurumon, was neat to see them use Giga Destroyer and the Trident Arm for mobility rather then just raw power.

While I was expecting the reversion to a Digitama given it was in the preview, I still don't think it holds nearly as much weight as it's equivalent scene from the original Adventure, largely due to Angemon having next to no presence here compared to Patamon being there from the start. Still, maybe I'm just being nostalgic here, I'm willing to see how this plays out in the context of Adventure Colon. And for what it's worth, SkullKnightmon completely killing the mood by snatching the Digitama was a pretty hilarious subversion of the original in my opinion, so I'll give them credit for that.

Notus

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I like how Angemon's role in the battle was unusual, with him/his light buffing his allies and debuffing his opponent. It gives the power and importance vibe without stomping on expected power levels, which I've seen bother people in the whole light vs dark scaling.

Also, we now know why Yamato got a Purple card in the new TCG: radioactive darkness poisoning. X)

Naal

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Interesting to see Leomon said that he will deal with Megadramon, just go away and Megadramon actually comply with Leomon's wish. And I still don't know why Velgrmon was being sent.

It's good to hear that Sora was being lectured, and I'm curious to see what they do with Koushiro's hesitant answer to her. I hope the network being swarmed with algomon again, Calamaramon, and the kids Digimon being in the network will turn out interesting.

The rest is mainly action, with a nice variation by using attack not just as an attack, and Velgrmon's feather attack actually scratches WereGarurumon's cheek (but then they are suddenly able to endure a lot of it).

I like Angemon's role in this, though. I also like that he maintained his wound (the wings, crack on the helmet, etc.), and (maybe) returned to being a DigiTama because of it rather than because of a battle. I don't know how I feel about the egg being snatched by SkullKnightmon though. It might stretch the current story a little too long.

Tarama

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Velgrmon was sent to capture Takeru. Seeing it's gonna fail, Devimon sent SkullKnightmon to capture the holy digitama, because Takeru was already free.

Koushirou Izumi

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode was quite alright on its own. Mostly action and the whole chase sequence worked well and made sense, IDK how to feel about Angemon appearing and dying this quickly? it makes sense if he did buff MetalGreymon and WereGarurumon and that was the last he could do before being completely drained out. but since we haven't met Patamon it does feel way less impactful.

Sora and Koshiro's scenes were as much as you'd expect which is the bare minimum, I really wish they do something interesting with their home life but expectations are low at this point.

SkullKnightmon stealing the egg felt unnecessary to me tho, we already did the chase plotline so I feel like it's going to get kind of repetitive doing it again but I guess we will wait and see. In the end, we really REALLY need a couple of episode with the whole cast chilling and slowing down because it really feels like they are just jumping from one thing to the next, the characters need to breathe. DESPERATELY.

PS: Dear god hearing the word "miracle" AGAIN in the preview boils my blood. Please Adventure writers stop, we know you want to offer us all of these cool visuals and powerups but presenting them as miracles over and over again makes it look cheap and unearned. We like character progression and growth so that when they get these cool moments we get hyped up instead of rolling our eyes.

DedicatedGazi

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Angemon's death seemed rush to me. It was a corner stone to TK's original plot. He "lost" his friend. Now it's just like "oh, Hi....., I'm an egg now. K, bye"

It will be interesting to see how this shapes the new TK.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Whoa with Velgrmon battle animation buffed up excluded gliding, flapping wings and feather attacks in the animation were so terrible and lazily!

Damn poor Valvemon completely got destroyed along with Troopmons but Valvemon sure suffered heavily. First the eyes then slowly tear apart and finally destroyed by darkness gravity of Velgrmon. Jeez so savage

Missile riding. OF COURSE I DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING BUT C'MON! However it's cool tactic so I'm cool with it!

Wait a min, Leomon can handle any Perfect levels to survive?! This is not the regular Leomon... I knew.
But yay Megadramon but boo it got defeated off-screen! OH come on.

Did Angemon escaped from Devimon's caste despite mentioned where is the Holy digimon? Honestly I'm lost on this part.

Oh Angemon was heavily damaged? But that reforming scene... WHY DW1 REFERENCE?! It made me cried. Now to extreme! Weird we witnessed enemies' death but no signs of digitama forming.... Ugh?

Good to know Tentomon and others are safe but it was too short.

Nothing to say about the last part of this episode.

Leoil01

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Whoa with Velgrmon battle animation buffed up excluded gliding, flapping wings and feather attacks in the animation were so terrible and lazily!

Damn poor Valvemon completely got destroyed along with Troopmons but Valvemon sure suffered heavily. First the eyes then slowly tear apart and finally destroyed by darkness gravity of Velgrmon. Jeez so savage

Missile riding. OF COURSE I DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING BUT C'MON! However it's cool tactic so I'm cool with it!

Wait a min, Leomon can handle any Perfect levels to survive?! This is not the regular Leomon... I knew.
But yay Megadramon but boo it got defeated off-screen! OH come on.

Did Angemon escaped from Devimon's caste despite mentioned where is the Holy digimon? Honestly I'm lost on this part.

Oh Angemon was heavily damaged? But that reforming scene... WHY DW1 REFERENCE?! It made me cried. Now to extreme! Weird we witnessed enemies' death but no signs of digitama forming.... Ugh?

Good to know Tentomon and others are safe but it was too short.

Nothing to say about the last part of this episode.
In adventure they reform at primary village with elecmon so we wouldn't see an egg forming theoretically the data would disperse like we see when they die and then regather there

Amandil7

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Okay so some thoughts:

As a whole I liked this episode, nice to see Sora and Izzy and the other digimon. Hopefully we'll get more of them!

Velgrmon was terrifying and insanely large and powerful! Interesting callback to Frontier, reminded me of Seraphimon's egg resulting in Beowolfmon and Aldamon. It was nice to see Metal Greymon using his attacks innovatively.

Angemon providing divine support to the two Ultimates worked well. He was already injured and used up all his power. I will say his original sacrifice had far more weight since we knew Patamon and Takeru from the start. It was still a sad bittersweet moment.

Takeru saying onii-chan over and over again became annoying fast! Hopefully he gets some actual dialogue in the coming episodes.

I'm interested to see what they do with the Digitama. Will he be corrupted or different when he hatches next time?

Last edited:

Yume

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It might stretch the current story a little too long.
Well, I think Angemon didn't use Heaven's Knuckle because the writers are saving that moment for Devimon. If that's the case, we'll have to wait for the digitama to hatch, and Poyomon>Tokomon>Patamon>Angemon, which might take a while. Unless Patamon hatches from the start... So yeah, the story will probably stretch.

But that reforming scene... WHY DW1 REFERENCE?!
Right!? The nostalgia hit pretty hard T.T

This episode was pretty nice. It had more than a couple of throwbacks to the original show, and when Sora joined Koushiro, I swear the soundtrack sounded like the beginning of Bolero.

Did they spend three days in the Digital World even with the time difference? I'm a little lost with the timing of things.

Naal

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Did they spend three days in the Digital World even with the time difference? I'm a little lost with the timing of things.
The time difference has already gone since a few episodes ago. I don't remember the exact episode, though I think it's when Koushiro is still in the network world.

TorterraCotta

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Angemon immediately biting the dust is quick, sure, but brings him in line with the other Digimon - it was implied/outright stated that all of the non-Holy partners were reborn after the big war, right? If the same thing happens with Angemon, it's a safe bet that he'll hatch without all of those memories and experiences, and default to Child level. If I'm right, this might also be used to justify Tailmon being Adult. I'm guessing she's gonna be the only one with memories of the war, to parallel her harsher lived experiences and maturity from the original.

Rohan

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Cool episode. Seeing Velgrmon and SkullKnightmon again was really nostalgic. Unfortunately Megadramon got the shaft via on offscreen battle against Leomon/Peckmon. The battle of the Ultimates was good with even Yamato getting some action. Angemon coming in with the clutch at the end was super dramatic and I got sad when he "died". Curious how Devimon is going to handle that as it's interestingly the opposite of what happened in Next Order where Mameo degenerated his partner into a DigiEgg to protect it from the BH Virus. :unsure:

Can't wait for next week, given SkullKnightmon has been nerfed into a Champion then if he doesn't Jogress into DarkKnightmon to fight Ultimates then I will be sad. :(

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode carried on the momentum from the last one. Yamato was desperate and for good reason. Loved the WereGarumon surfing on the attack to get there easier. That's one way to fly when you can't lol.

Happy to see the other Digimon are fine and that the time difference is...well different this time! The kids were noticably gone!

Takeru seems to have more courage this time around imo. To look to Velgrmon and tell him to stop. Angemon's turning up only to die (and give the power up lol). I half expected that but it didn't hit enough for me. And of course the egg is taken.

Devimon clearly wants to corrupt that egg. Depends if he gets to do that or not! Will be interesting!

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It made me realized about Angemon and Devimon after reading here and other forums got me curious and wondering if it's really true.

Angemon being suffered heavily proved his whole appearance were somewhat torn and one heavy wounded sign on his arm in Devimon's "torture" and imprisoned.

All "miracle feathers" was Angemon's not Valdurmon since the beginning. Probably was torturing the whole time... Another "evidences" are Hikari and Takeru's crests activated because Tailmon (Unknown fate) and Angemon were imprisoned and sensed somehow about the danger and sent their "Holy Digimon's secret abilities thingies" to bring miracle but could be used for Devimon's "plans".

Valdurmon was already dead and it was only mere recording in hologram due to the digivice/tablet stone. Didn't lend any hands.

Devimon is actually smarter than I thought. Devimon mentioning Nidhoggmon and its death brought his plans "success(?)" and sent Velgrmon to capture yet tasked SkullKnightmon with same mission to capture the digitama probably Devimon cannot afford to have mission failures or loves to send some digimon with same missions after the first ones tasked dies. Evidences: MetalTyranomon after Ogremon. SkullKnightmon after Velgrmon. Even Minotaurmon and his army + Valvemon after Velgrmon...

All Holy Digimon ones might be extinct maybe not? But they seemed to have more abilities that involved with powerful light, healing, miracle evolutions and other things. I wonder why all additional things to them?