Digimon Adventure: Episode 2- War Game

Mon-Ohma

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It has to be said, Taichi and Agumon's relationship is coming across quite rushed here. He's adapting to everything far to quickly that they run the risk of turning him into Taiki.2 if they're not careful. I just hope they won't leave SkullGreymon out this time around, or attempt to gloss over the fallout from that.

Omegamon's appearance at the end didn't really come as much of a surprise for me as it seemingly did for others, largely due to the amount of clues available beforehand. Though it does drastically lack the emotional punch of the movie version. It boils down to, here's Omegamon looking badass, commence drooling.
The most noticeable thing is that they appear to be heavily hinting at a connection between both him and the Angels (already working hard as DEMs : P), given that he is classified as a 'Holy Knight' perhaps they will be 'born' from him in some manner? They will presumably have to engineer a convenient reason for why they can't constantly trot out such a gamebreaker this early on in the show's run, and storing the fusion power in those two might be one, as a possible callback to how they originally triggered the first warp evolutions. End theory.

I am somewhat relieved they didn't turn Yamato into some stock edgelord rival like I initially feared, and who understands the practicalities of working together to a degree.
Not much else to say. Greymon and Garurumon having a prior acquaintance is essentially the only real substance in an episode primarily devoted towards action (well play to your strengths as they say), and they are at least attempting strategy rather then just futilely firing off attacks at stronger opponents. A practise that has me banging my head on the desk.

We still have yet to see how they'll introduce the remaining kids and their partners into the series, or what causes them to be chosen. Whether this reboot features it's own version of the Greymon/Parrotmon event, or they use the Algomon crisis in it's place.

Kuzehiko

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was an okay episode. The battles scenes were really good. Animation wise was simply great. As for the characters I don't understand why Yamato tried to avoid Taichi for the first part of the episode even when Taichi introduced himself to Yamato he just didn't care lol.
It seems the new Digivice is capable to power up the Digimon via crest powers and the children's emotions. Loved how Greymon and Garurumon defeated perfect Algomon. I don't see a problem with it as we have seen other champion level Digimon beating perfect level Digimon in previous series. Omegamon's appearance makes no sense. Even if you tell me Takeru and Hikari's crests (along with Taichi's and Yamato's of course) gave them the power to achieve Omegamon they weren't aware of what was going on and they don't even have their own Digivice yet. I hope we get a proper explanation for that in the next episode.

Shadow Moon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was an okay episode. The battles scenes were really good. Animation wise was simply great. As for the characters I don't understand why Yamato tried to avoid Taichi for the first part of the episode even when Taichi introduced himself to Yamato he just didn't care lol.
much like the MC or team leader almost always having goggles(markus being the exception), it's tradition in the animes at this point for there to be someone whose standoffishness towards the goggle bearing team leader while having a contrast personality & being more of a loner.
in adventure, it was tai & & yamado
in the first half of 02, it was daisuke & tk ken eventually took over as the contrast in the second half
in tamers, it was takato & rika, though this time the loner was the hot headed one.
in frontier it went back to the hothead with googles, takuya & the lonely loner koji
in savers, masaru was the hothead with toma being the elitist & polar opposite to him.
masaru is also a contrast to the other team leaders because he's the only one of them that grows to be on par with mega-ultra level digimon without turning into or fusing with a digimon. tbh he didn't even need a digimon to begin with.
in xros wars taiki who has an outgoing personality & was the first team leader to be a prodigy due to his high adaptability with kiriha being more cold & power obsessed contrast. later in the 3ed season tagiru being a less confident daisuke & yuu being a mix of tk & ken.
in appmon, it was haru being the leader & rei being the loner

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
One thing I'm curious about concerning Omegamon is whether he's still a Mega or an Ultra now and whether he was formed by a Jogress or is still just a "Fusion" as Tentomon described in Hunters... :unsure:
Greymon + Garurumon like they did it would be Jogress since the Champions fused to get to Mega (or Ultra).

we'll see if any term is used (if any) when it comes to WGmon+MGmon later, but it doesn't matter too much in the end tbh lol

if in episode 3 Argomon Mega suddenly digivolves AGAIN, then Ultra will suddenly be a thing there.

Argomon Ultra would be pretty neat actually.

Kuzehiko

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
much like the MC or team leader almost always having goggles(markus being the exception), it's tradition in the animes at this point for there to be someone whose standoffishness towards the goggle bearing team leader while having a contrast personality & being more of a loner.
in the first half of 02, it was daisuke & tk ken eventually took over as the contrast in the second half
in tamers, it was takato & rika, though this time the loner was the hot headed one.
in frontier it went back to the hothead with googles, takuya & the lonely loner koji
in savers, masaru was the hothead with toma being the elitist & polar opposite to him.
masaru is also a contrast to the other team leaders because he's the only one of them that grows to be on par with mega-ultra level digimon without turning into or fusing with a digimon. tbh he didn't even need a digimon to begin with.
in xros wars taiki who has an outgoing personality & was the first team leader to be a prodigy due to his high adaptability with kiriha being more cold & power obsessed contrast. later in the 3ed season tagiru being a less confident daisuke & yuu being a mix of tk & ken.
I know but what I don't unserstand is why Yamato refused to tell Taichi his name. Even if we have an opposite character to the leader in every season that has never happened. Not from what I recall. Has any rival ever refused to introduce himself before? I don't think so.

One thing I'm curious about concerning Omegamon is whether he's still a Mega or an Ultra now and whether he was formed by a Jogress or is still just a "Fusion" as Tentomon described in Hunters... :unsure:
Greymon + Garurumon like they did it would be Jogress since the Champions fused to get to Mega (or Ultra).

we'll see if any term is used (if any) when it comes to WGmon+MGmon later, but it doesn't matter too much in the end tbh lol

if in episode 3 Argomon Mega suddenly digivolves AGAIN, then Ultra will suddenly be a thing there.

Argomon Ultra would be pretty neat actually.
All Omegamon versions aren't fusion. It depends on the version of the product. Original Adventure Omegamon was a fusion but we are not sure about Adventure 2020 Omegamon. I think it is a jogress too as Greymon and Garurumon do a DNA warp evolution or it seemed like that to me.

Last edited:

Shadow Moon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I know but what I don't understand is why Yamato refused to tell Taichi his name. Even if we have an opposite character to the leader in every season that has never happened. Not from what I recall. Has any rival ever refused to introduce himself before? I don't think so.
well, in 01 tai, matt & the rest knew each others names before the start of the first episode, most likely due to the lot of them being thrown into the same cabin for while & tk being there. in this case i think it's more that he was focused on the task at hand more then pleasantries which is also why he didn't really start being more vocal til he learned that there was a "guy in the chair" & immediately started asking questions relevant to dealing with the problem.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I know but what I don't understand is why Yamato refused to tell Taichi his name. Even if we have an opposite character to the leader in every season that has never happened. Not from what I recall. Has any rival ever refused to introduce himself before? I don't think so.
well, in 01 tai, matt & the rest knew each others names before the start of the first episode, most likely due to the lot of them being thrown into the same cabin for while & tk being there. in this case i think it's more that he was focused on the task at hand more then pleasantries which is also why he didn't really start being more vocal til he learned that there was a "guy in the chair" & immediately started asking questions relevant to dealing with the problem.
They pretty much all knew each other years before based on the prequel with Parrotmon

Gwydion

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I know but what I don't unserstand is why Yamato refused to tell Taichi his name. Even if we have an opposite character to the leader in every season that has never happened. Not from what I recall. Has any rival ever refused to introduce himself before? I don't think so.
Well, in Frontier, Takuya tried to start up a conversation with Kouji on the elevator in the first episode, and Kouji flat out ignored him - and everyone else - until the end of episode 2 after saving Tomoki and being saved in return by Takuya (before Takuya accidentally knocked him down a hole, lol). Even then he only introduced himself formally to Takuya (the only other one with a Spirit), not even addressing any of the others, and ran off, which is pretty much what Yamato did.

As to WHY he acted as he did, I think Shadow Moon's reasoning is on point (choosing to focus on the task and only speaking up when he thought he could gain something). I'll also point out that he very specifically calls Koushiro "Izumi", which Koushiro himself finds odd. His ignoring Taichi until he is deemed useful, as well as being less familiar with Koushiro by calling him by his family name, are ways of keeping his distance, raising emotional barriers. People say things like "if you name a stray, you'll become attached to it" and such - this is a similar thing. Yamato clearly doesn't want to get too attached to Taichi or Koushiro for reasons that will probably become clear in the future. (And if it's anything like his arc from the original series, it probably stems from his parents divorce and feeling abandoned by the people he trusted/loved most. Can't be abandoned if you're not attached to anyone.)

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's smart to throw Omegamon in super early as that's really the only way to make his appearance surprising at this point in the franchise, even if it does make the tease in the opening hilariously tone-deaf.
It is fitting in a weird way though... After all they fully "revealed" Omegamon in the opening, but none of the other Ultimates except a sillhuette of WarGreymon. That already kind of told us that omegamon was in all likelihood going to debut earlier than WarGreymon somehow and now... he did.

I think they missed an opportunity to introduce an “Omegamon (Perfect)” with a regular Garurumon and Greymon head, tbh. I know we already have like 10 Omegamon forms but a lower form ain’t one of those.
Probably because such a design wouldn't really make sense. The whole Holy Metal Knights style only fits because his components were armored designs, it wouldn't that well with organic components unless they overhauled everything and then it wouldn't be Omegamon anymore.

One thing that came up on the Discord as well were the parallels to Tamers, but I'd argue that Taichi and Yamato are fulfilling roles similar to Masaru and Touma here.
I don't see any similarity there. The entire "conflict" between Taichi and Yamato this episode boiled down to Yamato not sharing enough information. Taichi was completely willing to cooperate and when he noticed that Yamato was for example creating a diversion he immediately did his part. This is the complete opposite to how Masaru and Touma started of. Touma wasn't hesitant about sharing his thoughts and tactics, but it was Masaru who would refuse to cooperate with him.

Considering that the Anime never acknowledged the Super Ultimate level before, I'd be surprised if they started now.

It has to be said, Taichi and Agumon's relationship is coming across quite rushed here. He's adapting to everything far to quickly that they run the risk of turning him into Taiki.2 if they're not careful.
Yeah, it's all a bit much for 40 minutes... but there also was something about the humans being involved in that previous conflict somehow, even he doesn't directly remember, maybe he could be acting to according to something more subconscious. [Note: I would consider this a cop-out and hope that it is not the case]

I just hope they won't leave SkullGreymon out this time around, or attempt to gloss over the fallout from that.
I wonder if/or how they would implement a SkullGreymon Dark evolution this time. I do kind of want to see SkullGreymon animated with the new fancy style but I can't see it happen in the same way as before.
After all, with Yamato being presented as more of a cool headed veteran I don't think Taichi would slip as easily into that mindset of "I am ahead of everyone else and I need to to everything myself", so they'd have to come up with something different.

They pretty much all knew each other years before based on the prequel with Parrotmon
They didn't. They didn't interact back then, they just happened to live around the same area. When they introduced themselves in the first episode I don't think any of them knew anyone else besides Taichi knowing Sora and Yamato knowing Takeru.

Shadow Moon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They didn't. They didn't interact back then, they just happened to live around the same area. When they introduced themselves in the first episode I don't think any of them knew anyone else besides Taichi knowing Sora and Yamato knowing Takeru.
not only that, but all of them forgot that event even happened or at least that it happened the way it did and didn't remember it til they saw birdramon/garudamon fighting a mammothmon in the same area.(ep 29)
i think the real issue here though is the movie dub tried to make it out like they all knew each other beforehand by doing stuff like making the scene where joe was saying "it's a bird" on the phone out to be that he was talking to mimi as well as the scene with tai picking up the phone & only hearing static being altered into sora bitching about mimi upchucking in her hat. sora didn't really interact with tai til after their parents moved away from that aea.
it's just some more examples of needless dub continuity errors with that movie that end up confusing people only watched the dub or the ones who watched both the dub & sub

Libra

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So the white giant digimon was indeed Omegamon.
The holy knight being a miracle caused by the actions of by holy digimon makes much more sense than previous lame miracles, mega evolution and golden digimentals.
Seraphimon and (hopefully) Holydramon might have a better role in the new series compared to the pre-rebbot adventure franchise.

Sparrow Hawk

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Maybe that was the reason why their roles exist to cause a miracle? Seraphimon and Holydramon in that movie for the release of Golden Digieggs then now Hope & Light crests caused the birth of Omegamon.

Kuzehiko

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, in Frontier, Takuya tried to start up a conversation with Kouji on the elevator in the first episode, and Kouji flat out ignored him - and everyone else - until the end of episode 2 after saving Tomoki and being saved in return by Takuya (before Takuya accidentally knocked him down a hole, lol). Even then he only introduced himself formally to Takuya (the only other one with a Spirit), not even addressing any of the others, and ran off, which is pretty much what Yamato did.

As to WHY he acted as he did, I think Shadow Moon's reasoning is on point (choosing to focus on the task and only speaking up when he thought he could gain something). I'll also point out that he very specifically calls Koushiro "Izumi", which Koushiro himself finds odd. His ignoring Taichi until he is deemed useful, as well as being less familiar with Koushiro by calling him by his family name, are ways of keeping his distance, raising emotional barriers. People say things like "if you name a stray, you'll become attached to it" and such - this is a similar thing. Yamato clearly doesn't want to get too attached to Taichi or Koushiro for reasons that will probably become clear in the future. (And if it's anything like his arc from the original series, it probably stems from his parents divorce and feeling abandoned by the people he trusted/loved most. Can't be abandoned if you're not attached to anyone.)
Great post. So we can assume Yamato is kind of behaving like Kouji did in the first episodes of Digimon Frontier. I had forgotten about it.

Now you mention it.. they are executing well the way Yamato's parents divorce affects him in this new version of him. That explains why he wants to keep himself extremely distant from others. In the original Adventure we saw how it affected him towards the end of the season and it was a way too late as he wasn't cold and distant in the beginning of Adventure.

Can't wait to see how Takeru joining the group will affect him.. it should affect him in some way but I hope they don't have him fight Taichi again just for that.

I agree on what you said of why Yamato called Koushiro by his last name. They're not familiar with each other exactly how real japanese people would react.

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Maybe that was the reason why their roles exist to cause a miracle? Seraphimon and Holydramon in that movie for the release of Golden Digieggs then now Hope & Light crests caused the birth of Omegamon.
In the version original of Hurricane Touchdown, Angemon and Angewomon even mentioned the Light of Hope in that part.

PS: The sub doesn't translate that part so good either.

Last edited:

Vice

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Seeing Omegamon early to me is surprising, but it’s not something I’d personally complain about. This is like in Xros Wars when they showed us Shoutmon X3 in the first episode, or the Tri movies when they showed us Omegamon in the first five episodes. They might be showing us a preview of what’s to come later, or Omegamon might develop another form in future episodes. We don’t know, we have to keep watching to find out.

Btw I love the fact that this series has sparked popularity in Digimon again from Twitter users and Youtubers alike who may grew up with the series or are even brand new. Really hope this goes somewhere.

Last edited:

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
When they introduced themselves in the first episode I don't think any of them knew anyone else besides Taichi knowing Sora and Yamato knowing Takeru.
According to the novel, Taichi and Sora knew Koshiro because he helped out with their soccer club. In the anime, Taichi at least seems to have known Koshiro beforehand, since he calls for him by name after the snow hits.

Gwydion

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Now you mention it.. they are executing well the way Yamato's parents divorce affects him in this new version of him. That explains why he wants to keep himself extremely distant from others. In the original Adventure we saw how it affected him towards the end of the season and it was a way too late as he wasn't cold and distant in the beginning of Adventure.

Can't wait to see how Takeru joining the group will affect him.. it should affect him in some way but I hope they don't have him fight Taichi again just for that.
I am genuinely curious to see how they continue to handle Yamato this time around as the different set up seems a potentially big reason for the stronger focus on being a loner. With the original starting out with Yamato and Takeru being thrown into an unknown world with 5 other kids, it made sense that the portion of his character they focused on the most was that of "protective older brother". I'll politely disagree that his reaction to the divorce wasn't handled as well in the original (though my reasoning behind that would likely get a bit long and off topic, so I won't go into it here, lol), but it is true that they didn't really expand on the abandonment side of things until the last 4th of the series. The fact that that side is showing itself pretty strongly already makes me excited, because he still feels familiar, but it's definitely a new twist.

I can't wait to see what happens when Takeru joins the mix - should be interesting since this time Taichi/Koushiro have already met him without his little brother around and created a unique dynamic that wasn't really in the original. Wonder how Takeru being there will shake things up.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Now it's opinions of an episode from a week ago. ...Next week I should have it figured out. Once I see when CR puts up the episode.
...*ahem* So this was pretty much the plot of the 2nd movie but with Algomon right? But I wonder what Takari has to do with it. Is it like the 1st Mega evo scene? Anyway, because I'm wondering what's going on, that means things are going well. At least so far.

Shadow Moon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Now it's opinions of an episode from a week ago. ...Next week I should have it figured out. Once I see when CR puts up the episode.
...*ahem* So this was pretty much the plot of the 2nd movie but with Algomon right? But I wonder what Takari has to do with it. Is it like the 1st Mega evo scene? Anyway, because I'm wondering what's going on, that means things are going well. At least so far.
it's actually a mix of the first our war game & the pilot movie

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Right. The Parrotmon movie? But I thought that would be an attempt at a gag. But thanks.