Digimon Adventure: Episode 18- Countdown to Tokyo's Annihilation

Naal

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I needn't say anything about the episode, as pretty much everyone share the same opinion.

Seriously this episode feels like a filler—and even worse, an unnecessary one. It's such a shame too that they waste Nidhoggmon's potential as a villain and made it a monster-of-the-week one.

Well, guess I'll just swim along the current too with this reboot...

Piers

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I needn't say anything about the episode, as pretty much everyone share the same opinion.

Seriously this episode feels like a filler—and even worse, an unnecessary one. It's such a shame too that they waste Nidhoggmon's potential as a villain and made it a monster-of-the-week one.

Well, guess I'll just swim along the current too with this reboot...
He's delegated to morphine shots to bump up the viewership numbers from an inevitable nose dive.
Quite fitting, actually, because we can all guess that when Omegamon's effects wear off the more he's used, they'll just introduce a stronger variant.

Mon-Ohma

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
"I R NIDHOGGMON! I R ULTIMATE LEVEL! I R BEEN GIVEN TEMPORY POWER OF SPEECH TO PROVIDE CLUMSY EXPOSITION!"

In a way it's quite ironic how a countdown led to a different sort of disaster... :p

Then again, I had a suspicion they'd pull something like this, ever since I read the original episode synopsis. But this was frankly Sailor Moon Crystal levels of lazy writing...
It was already an unwise idea itself to trot Omegamon out again this soon, thereby lessening the debuts of the Ultimates later on. But the fact they went and self-plagiarized the opening episodes (which in itself was already a re-tread of the second film) makes it even more of a joke.
On top of all that, having already split the cast up, they then proceed to do it again almost immediately after they got back together.
Even Devimon couldn't save it for me. Who (rather then take the opportunity to deal with Taichi and Yamato right there and then in their post battle exhaustion) shows up to fill their pants with some sand, before pissing off back to his Grimm fairytale tower.

As for Nidhoggmon. All I can say is that something has definitely gone wrong when your Adult Stage manages to leave a much better impression... ¬_¬

Ultimately this rather highlights a growing problem I've been concerned about for sometime now, in how this reboot constantly relies very heavily on our nostalgia and familiarity with the original, along with dynamic action visuals and fanservice to carry both its characters and plot.
Not even having the benefit of pretty animation to fall back on serves to expose this even more-so.

You'll find the Inner Senshi waiting for you in the Refreshments Tent.

BlankShell

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Finally got around to watching this. I can see the complaints of re-using Omegamon, although admittedly this makes me excited to see what next-level Omegamon (or whatever) we'll get at the end of the series. At least there were the two younger kids as a secondary deus-ex-machina. And I'm assuming TK is now in the digital world based on the scene transition?

The animation was definitely a step down in the second half though, which is disappointing.

I liked the shot of other kids watching the battle without adults present; it may never come to anything depending on the trajectory of this season (and if we'll get a second) but it felt pretty deliberate as a setup to expand the world if they decide to do so.

Back on the miasma front, it seemed like Nidhoggmon was exuding it, but that could have just been general shadowy-energy effects, but it was more pronounced when we got to Devimon's castle. I gotta say I'm still intrigued as to how they're going to factor him in given that he's wildly outclassed at this point. Maybe he's just an avatar, or maybe he's been staying out of the fight so long to absorb energy? And who was that mystery 'mon at the end?

MFbM

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have to say, it's kinda sucked seeing Omegamon being reduced to a plot device with an animation error of his Grey Sword (it looked bent in certain scenes).

Kamotz

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've said it before somewhere else - but the real issue I had (beyond this being the exact same story beat as the previous episode with Orochimon) was that the fight wasn't even well animated. If you're going to have Omnimon fight an enormous monstrous snake dragon wurm Dragapult looking thing, take a queue from One Punch Man did the fight with Elder Centipede. Even though there wasn't all that much going on, there was still all that dynamic movement -- a sense of physicality and momentum when the action happened.

This was like watching balloon animals fight. There was no weight to their movements, even.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So...This is the end of the current plot right? But now we're "stuck" with just Tai and Matt. So... We'll have to see how they do this with the next set of episodes.