Digimon Adventure: Episode 18- Countdown to Tokyo's Annihilation

Snorki McBolderbast

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
After watching the previous 17 episodes, this one was more or less what I've come to expect from this show: bad.
Didn't they kill Eyesmon/Eyesmon/Orochimon/Nidhoggmon twice already? What are the stakes here? What are the rules? The bad guys are just as strong or weak as the script need them to be. And once Orochimon evolves into Nidhoggmon, he introduces himself. "I'm a Mega Digimon, which is one level above what you have faced before!" Why would he do that? It's because the writers couldn't fit that information into the script in a more organic way... which is surprising, as it wouldn't be so hard. Compare with how the concept of higher levels were introduced in the original season 1: Gennai told the group about crests and tags and their ability to evolve their monsters into Perfect levels as soon as he could communicate with them. And we first learn of the Mega level when the Digimon Analyzer says that VenomVamDemon is Mega level. Imagine if he instead had turned to the camera and said "Oh, by the way, guys - I'm at Mega level, which is one level above what you are familiar with." It's bad writing, which is a reoccurring thing in this show.

A similar thing happens at the end of the episode when Devimon shows up... in a sand tornado. He reveals himself to Taichi and Yamato, only to say "You may have beaten me this time, but next time I'll be back!". Why does he do this? The kids doesn't even know that he exists yet! That's a HUGE advantage! Instead he reveals himself only to say... nothing!

At this point, we're also reminded of the fact that the group is trying to find the Holy Digimon. This quest has been in the background for the entire saeson, yet it's supposed to be the main driving force. Every episode is about a new evil monster who has to be defeated by the good guys evolving into a stronger creature. The plot is super-thin!

I also didn't like that the countdown wasn't consistent with... time. Koushiro says there's 40 seconds left, yet the timer doesn't stop until 10 minutes later. There's no sense of urgency when the writers just give them more time. Also, why did they just re-use the concept of a countdown? Haven't they done that twice already?!

Finally, in the original series, Omegamon was a symbol of Taichi and Yamato's bond and how close those characters were. They had to really earn Omegamon. In the reboot, two other characters just need to touch feathers in order for him to appear. This is closely tied to my main criticism of the show, which is that the characters are very one-dimensional and there's basically no development. It's hard to be positive when most every creative decision is wrong.

Prodigious

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I’ll just be honest

horrible episode. This show is good for animation and battle but it’s horrible at story telling and pacing

who is the enemy!
Nidhoggmon was ugly
The battle was lacklustre
it Was a whole bunch of overhyped nothing

they’ve separated the group again. The other digidestined felt useless. I hope they overcomethat as part of their character development and they don’t get treat like Frontier kids who literally become cheerleaders!
On the plus side, this horrible arc is over. I love the look of devimons lair. It’s bringing back the fantasy side of the digital world. We know it’s a digital world but it doesn’t have to look like data!!

hopefully we see more of the soundbirdmon, devimon and his foot soldiers.
this series started reallllly strong with the fort battle, the lore episode, ogremon etc
As soon as they started going ultimate, it lost footing story wise

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode could have been cut and the show would have actively been better.

The last two episodes were a great little mini-arc, with a suspenseful build up and an exciting play-off.
In this, Eyesmon comes back again, and they beat him again. Nothing changes. You could have easily moved all the notable stuff to the end of episode 17.

And whatever benefit of the doubt was given to using Omnimon as a one-off in episode 2, using him here just felt so weak.
I hate to be so down about it, but the last two episodes were so great, that it makes this one feel even worse by contrast.

EDIT: One thing I did like was the OST for Omnimon, cuz part of the leitmotif sounded a bit like the English theme.

Last edited:

Ricardolindo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My feelings on this episode are mixed. The fight scenes were good but, on the other hand, it felt strange having Omegamon appear again by another Takeru and Hikari miracle, and to make the Digidestined separate once again. It was also repetitive to have Eyesmon come back in evolved forms.

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have to agree that I did not like this episode. Eyesmon/evos are just boring to me. I already had guessed we'd get Omegamon in the episode so that didn't come of a suprise. I just didn't enjoy all 3 eps as I felt it too drawn out. Hopefully the next episode will 'bring it back' to being good again.

I don't care they did Omegamon, i simply didn't enjoy the 3 ep 'mini arc' or whatever you want to call it lol

MFbM

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
After watching the previous 17 episodes, this one was more or less what I've come to expect from this show: bad.
Didn't they kill Eyesmon/Eyesmon/Orochimon/Nidhoggmon twice already? What are the stakes here? What are the rules? The bad guys are just as strong or weak as the script need them to be. And once Orochimon evolves into Nidhoggmon, he introduces himself. "I'm a Mega Digimon, which is one level above what you have faced before!" Why would he do that? It's because the writers couldn't fit that information into the script in a more organic way... which is surprising, as it wouldn't be so hard. Compare with how the concept of higher levels were introduced in the original season 1: Gennai told the group about crests and tags and their ability to evolve their monsters into Perfect levels as soon as he could communicate with them. And we first learn of the Mega level when the Digimon Analyzer says that VenomVamDemon is Mega level. Imagine if he instead had turned to the camera and said "Oh, by the way, guys - I'm at Mega level, which is one level above what you are familiar with." It's bad writing, which is a reoccurring thing in this show.

A similar thing happens at the end of the episode when Devimon shows up... in a sand tornado. He reveals himself to Taichi and Yamato, only to say "You may have beaten me this time, but next time I'll be back!". Why does he do this? The kids doesn't even know that he exists yet! That's a HUGE advantage! Instead he reveals himself only to say... nothing!

At this point, we're also reminded of the fact that the group is trying to find the Holy Digimon. This quest has been in the background for the entire saeson, yet it's supposed to be the main driving force. Every episode is about a new evil monster who has to be defeated by the good guys evolving into a stronger creature. The plot is super-thin!

I also didn't like that the countdown wasn't consistent with... time. Koushiro says there's 40 seconds left, yet the timer doesn't stop until 10 minutes later. There's no sense of urgency when the writers just give them more time. Also, why did they just re-use the concept of a countdown? Haven't they done that twice already?!

Finally, in the original series, Omegamon was a symbol of Taichi and Yamato's bond and how close those characters were. They had to really earn Omegamon. In the reboot, two other characters just need to touch feathers in order for him to appear. This is closely tied to my main criticism of the show, which is that the characters are very one-dimensional and there's basically no development. It's hard to be positive when most every creative decision is wrong.
Now that you mentioned Gennai, makes me missed that guy from the original series. Yeah he did nothing much, but he appeared when the Children some sort of needed a clue to where to look to next. This new series, the exposition is like all over the place.

And they (we) still know nothing yet about what the symbols in their Digivices mean.

And I am still confused as to why they need to split up in the first place. The original series never had them split up unless they are separated by the circumstances.

And whatever happened to them SoundBirdmons? Devimon running out of them already? But even then, the kids will now just looked at the sight of it and do nothing but let it escape anyway. Oh and what about the drooling bad Digimon? The miasma emitting Digimon? Oh man I am so confused as to who is the big bad and which Digimon is being controlled by what forces now.

Rohan

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Great episode. The dramatic climax to an awesome three parter, Nidhoggmon was very scary looking and Omegamon was very awesome. I like that Taichi/Yamato don't talk at all whilst in that form. Takeru glitching out during the feather reach definitely signals his summoning to the Digital World, though the question remains why just him and not Hikari? Interesting twist to actually have the Countdown hit zero this time. Nice to finally see Devimon interact with the group, if only Taichi/Yamato.

Next week has me hyped to see Leomon. Now the true countdown begins...to his death. :ROFLMAO:

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was talking about the Adventure reboot yesterday, and my general sentiment was that I had really high hopes for this episode after the great build-up provided by the last two, but that there was also the possibility of something really stupid happening.
With "something really stupid" I meant Omegamon.

And oh, boy something really stupid happened indeed.

In short it was a complete and total joke. It somehow managed to be worse than my expectations for the worst case scenario. When Omegamon appeared in episode 2 it was a bit of a blatant pandering but at least it was amazingly animated blatant pandering. But this time they couldn't even provide that.
Not only was a random Omegamon summon the cheapest, least creative and least interesting way to solve the problem, I can't even imagine that hardcore Omegamon fanboys would be happy with this episode considering that he barely looks on-model in most of his shots.
He spends most of his screentime cooped up in his convenient magical bubble and swishes his cape.
When he deflected Niddhogmon's laser shots he was barely animated, it was just a bunch of really unimpressive keyframes glued together with very obvious ghosting, and the big final stab was mostly represented with a lazy impact animation.
The big Giga Destroyer attack last episode looked better and far more impactful than whatever this was.
At least the Garuru canon properly freezes stuff, something that is often ignored but at this point the freezing was likely just an excuse to feature another effect that doesn't involve much movement or particles.

Speaking of lack of movement, Niddhoggmon's potential was absolutely wasted. A giant monstrosity like him could have been terrifying, had be been portrayed as a force of nature laying waste to everything in his path but no, he's just a really big target, staying immobile for basically the whole episode spewing very unimpressive lasers.
I still love his design though. The rows of teeth, the array of eyes, the giant semi-wings actually calling back to the original nordic poem in which Nidhogg is said to be flying, that's all great. His arms are not really impressive but I do understand him having them as the arms are indeed a big part of the "Lindwurm" concept.
Even his tongue being covered with eyes was a nice creepy touch. But still, it was disappointment. It didn't feel like they were fighting a powerful foe, it felt like they were going to a really bad rave. And it's not like the red pew-pew lasers were any better looking or more effective than the ones Eyesmon fired two episodes ago, and they were the most boring part about him back then.
At least Eyesmon threw buildings. Nidhoggmon could have thrown a few buildings, he could have just physically picked them up. But no, nothing interesting was allowed to happen.
And the make him talk and all he gets to say is "Hi guys, I'm Nidhoggmon and I'm an Ultimate." That is... not really any personality, so what's the point?

And all the plot points that seemed to be ready to be addressed? No luck here either. Hikari and Takeru basically do the same thing they did in episode two. They are not sucked into the Digimon world are not any more involved in the plot, they don't even get their digivices yet.
And Devimon? Basically no insight into what anything about him o his role in the setting. "Yup, we're indeed using Toyko's energy" and more evil posturing. We see the evil headquarters at least but if teh fake Tokyo was indeed a bigger part of their machinations it would have been nice to see a bit more of an reaction to it, perhaps something that gives a more concrete hint about what the forces of evil are actually trying to accomplish. All we do know is that there's some sort of squid around.

Meanwhile the chosen are conveniently separated again and I really just don't feel like thinking more about this.

This episode was hard to watch, a sloppy and painful mess that for the first time makes me doubt the direction Adventure:⏣ is heading in.

Deep Saver

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
After decently enjoying the previous 2 episodes this one backslid HARD into everything I don't like about Colon at once. I don't really need to explain why since everyone else has basically already covered it, but the episode was a complete mess on just about every conceivable level. Definitely the worst episode of the show so far for me, and despite my frequent complaining, I really do want to like it.

At least Nidhoggmon is cool. Not in the show mind you, but in its official artwork. :p

Yume

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just can't see Devimon as a threat when Perfect and Mega level Digimon are becoming the common villains of the week. He may just be the guy pulling the strings, and he may gain powers from the darkness all he wants, but these kids haven't been defeated once. They haven't met an obstacle they couldn't overcome in an episode or two, so why will Devimon be different?

And then they get separated again. Why? They are too powerful together. And you know they'll only get stronger. I wouldn't be surprised if some kids even get separated from their partners in the next episodes. Its as you guys have said. There are no stakes. No danger.

The story is getting repetitive and stale. Where is this going?

shadowmaria

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I feel like the direction of these next few episodes is pretty obvious, especially with TK now being digitised (or so it seems from this week's episode)
Next week will deal with the introduction of Leomon and the alliance / rebellion / whatever they're being called, and then 19 - 22 will be Mimi, Sora, Joe, and Izzy getting Rosemon, Phoenixmon, Vikemon, and HerculesKabuterimon respectively as they start regrouping, with 23 Matt and Tai reuniting with TK along the way. By 25 everyone will have Mega's, and in 26 Angemon will defeat Devimon (who six Mega's weren't able to defeat, despite him being a Champion level) swiftly.
It's becoming really, really clear how they're planning to try and structure the series differently compared to Adventure, especially if they have 66 episodes to work with, but it's also becoming just as repetitive.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Whoa so much angry I could feel it in my blood.

But what about that amazing animator who animated so smooth on Agumon/Greymon battles in starting episodes and the opening? It's like he completely vanished.

Haralampos

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Good episode... but I expected much more after the build momentum that was going on the previous episodes. It felt flat and repetitive and... Pointless? Idk

Mattman324

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You guys, I've finally figured out the impetus behind the creation of this series. Someone was really mad that everyone said that Omegamon was history's greatest jobber, so they made a whole series where Omegamon would show up a bunch to murder the villain of the week because the cast had no other way to do it.

e105zeta

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You guys, I've finally figured out the impetus behind the creation of this series. Someone was really mad that everyone said that Omegamon was history's greatest jobber, so they made a whole series where Omegamon would show up a bunch to murder the villain of the week because the cast had no other way to do it.
“Whenever Omegamon, isn’t on the screen all the other character should go ‘where’s Omegamon?’”

DragonicEmperor

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode was so bad.

My goodness. They weren't even trying for this one.

Snorki McBolderbast

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Seeing as Omegamon is far stronger than a regular Mega level, the group's best chance in every battle so far has been to form Omegamon. Why use Greymon and Garurumon when Omegamon is available?
So, yes, whenever Omegamon isn't on the screen, all the characters should indeed ask where he is. (Especially since they don't know that they need the feathers in this continuity to trigger his fusion.)
The problem is that the thought hasn't even occurred to them that Omegamon might be their best shot.

Piers

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
"Oh no, guys! This countdown is when the executives cancel the show!"
omegamon appears
"We did it!"

JulieYBM

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wargreymon and Metalgarurumon are probably being saved for when the crews are split up again. With Taichi and Yamato together her it makes more sense to use Omegamon--especially since the threat is the same level as the first three episodes.

Episode #18 is written by Series Composition Tomioka Atsuhiro (Writer of #1-3, #5, ##10-11) and storyboarded and directed by Kaizawa Yukio (series director of Digimon Tamers). That Yashima was the only key animator for the episode is a real shame. Stronger key animators would have really upped the spectacle.