Digimon Adventure: Episode 18- Countdown to Tokyo's Annihilation

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 18, Countdown to Tokyo's Annihilation

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 17.

Episode 18 airs Sunday, October 4th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, October 3rd, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, October 3rd, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, October 4th, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Moving the Digimon Encyclopedia to the end is a good change I think, lets you get into the episode faster.

The episode itself is a dramatic one, but not much happens overall, at least not things we see the end of anyways.

Takeru and Hikari summoning Omegamon again more solidly puts Omegamon as the 'miraculous' thing, but if they do it too much it becomes a cheat.

The music with Omegamon helps sell the miraculous idea, as does generally making everything he does look impressive.

Separating Taichi and Yamato from the rest isn't a bad idea, but doing it 'right' after everyone came together feels like, unless they do the next bit well, it simply will come across as weird.

Takeru appears to be in the digital world 'now' (we see a digital effect on him with the feather and he doesn't appear past that.)

Having Taichi and Yamato finally see Devimon, if only a glimpse of a summoning worked decently well.

I think the main issue is, it felt like this episode as leading up to be a major one, and while it was, it was less in the sense of 'some things' being clamped down on with new things. It just... did it and moved on.

(Not sure what the point was to have Nidhoggmon say one random line announcing he was Nidhoggmon though. I mean... I like that it was Volcano Ota... it just seemed a bit weird.)

I think this episode would have likely worked better if one episode was 'the fight' and then a second episode of them relaxing and then things go wrong at the end. It just hasn't allowed any cooldown in a meaningful way, which feels off and tiring.

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It feels like this will be a trend; Omegamon showing up to defeat the giant multi-eyed Digimon again. Nidhoggmon was really cool, though the fight didn't feel anywhere near as dynamic as the battle with Algomon.

Also, what looks like a glimpse of our third, and seemingly final, eye-themed villain. It vaguely reminds me of Keramon, except more cephalopod-ish.

taz111

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Liked this episode a lot, seems we are getting deeper and deeper into the meat of things. My only nitpick that they could've done better, was the fight scene. I think could've been more dynamic, but I'm really love that they are making the threats at any level to attack the kids - it adds so much more realism to it. I am still positive with my theory that Devimon is Angemon. It seems we are going to get a good developing story of Devimon this time around as he is taking orders from a more powerful Digimon; which I mentioned in the last episode thread. That really would make sense as to why he's a champion and most of the Digimon they are fighting are levels above him, plus could be a way for the enemy to keep a Digimon who could potentially kill him on his side. Also, something I noticed, is his castle. It looks like it was corrupted and there seems to be arch with a sun design in the front at the bottom like the hope crest. I'm anticipating that everyone is separated like they did with the ultimate arcs in the first season and we'll start to see them gain Mega forms as they link back to each other. I'm really loving this series!

icomeanon6

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My main problem with this one is that Takeru and Hikari's role in saving everyone with Omegamon is basically identical to how it went down in the second episode. There's nothing to say about either of them or their role in the show that we couldn't already have said back then. The first time felt like foreshadowing of things to come, and it's simply redundant to foreshadow something twice in exactly the same way, especially when in both cases that foreshadowing is used as the turning point in a major battle.

Alpha-Crimson

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ya know, if we're having enemies evolve repeatedly and doing this theme of repeatedly evolving enemies with odd numbers of eyes, Devimon becoming Demon works rather well, but more so, Ogudomon. Obviously as a final threat for this series, of course.

But getting off theories, I really feel like this episode was hyped up too much and animated too little. This has been Omegamon's weakest appearance yet by far, and the opponent had potential for great animation with his simplistic design, but got none. Niddhogrmon had so much potential, and all we got was laser eyes and laser breath, and a body that barely moved. Overall, kinda disappointing. But Devimon's appearance at the end, and the promise of him being far more powerful even when unevolved is kind of a big deal. So I hope Devimon really becomes this series' true final villain, even if he inevitably has to evolve to maintain the position. As long as it's still the same character. And if we end up going my predicted route of this being a soft reboot and Devimon remembering the original versions of them from the last analog world their linked to, then I'll honestly feel like he's the best villain of the franchise.

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Even though the battle felt a lot static but I still like the fact that they finally get garuru cannon to be able to freeze enemies which I think was in Omegamon's profile and Omegamon's final cut through the fake Tokyo reminded me of how Omegamon ended Yggdrasil in X-evolution. I'm really hoping to see Omegamon X at the final battle....

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh.... WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon didn't appear after all. Omegamon appeared twice which I didn't see it coming again!

Nighoggmon's Stormtrooper aim has appeared to ruin its menacing appearance :/

Interestingly Nighoggmon's body look like it's a tree. With so many "eyes".

Did anybody felt the Tamers vibes from watching this episode? When the city in blackout blinking red flashes and... Those countdown timers.

Oh look like they love to design every new artificial/"man-made" Digimon each time, eh? But what'll it be named? Eyes was already taken and Algo. So... Abomination? No?

OH by the ways, thanks for letting your mom know Taichi is alright, Hikari.

Koushirou Izumi

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm sorry if I'm too negative but this is just super DISAPPOINTING.

We literally got the same plot as the second episode but much much worse. The animations and fights are way less organic and straight-up unimpressive. The other four kids are just watching??? While Tai And Yamato are just basically going to this suicide mission like none of them even tried to evolve into champions and help out a little (and no being too tired from the last battle is a freaking lazy excuse for writers because Greymon and Garurumon evolved again and they were arguably more tired than the rest).

Also, the synopsis really said that the role of Hikari and Takeru will be revealed? did I miss like 5 scenes because absolutely nothing got revealed they just did exactly the same as episode two? We learned nothing about them.

Omegamon worked really well in the opening arc because it was presented as this special and miraculous occurrence. But doing it twice? It lost all its meaning and purpose in the story and it instantly becomes a joke now every time an antagonist is too powerful for our group lets send two feathers to Hikari and Takeru so they can summon Omegamon again?? This is cheating and makes the show super predictable.

Also of course at the end, the four "side" characters are separated for like the third time in 19 episodes?? to make room for more Tai/Yamato episodes *sigh*. I swear it hurts seeing how weak the other four characters are, Sora is a literal non-character she has no personality she is just a girl version of Taichi which makes her irrelevant whenever he is around because the show obviously will favor him over her. Koshiro is just used as a walking plot device to explain every little detail to the audience, like damn man doesn't get any rest or space to breathe and express his emotions. Mimi and Jou at least have their personality and some development (Woohooo the show doesn't completely hate them!).

To end it please for the love of god don't separate the four characters and make them pairs I CANNOT live through another bee episode or my laptop is broken plot because those episodes are very weak and boring. At the very least make the four of them go on an adventure without the other two main characters lets see their personality a bit and please NO MORE NEW EVOLUTIONS.

Amandil7

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I liked the previous 2 episodes but felt a little fatigued by this one because:

A. It felt a lot like ep 2! Reusing the same feathery miracle cheapened Omegamon's second appearance.
B. These 3 episodes felt like the same thing occurring over & over again with each Eyesmon evolution.
C. Separating the kids again just after they were reunited.
D. The fight itself did not have much to it, the animation was really meh & Nidhoggmon did not live up to his hype.

On the flipside:
I really liked Devimon's characterization so far, his appearance was menacing! Hope they do something amazing with him.
Takeru is finally in the Digital World (about time)!
Looking forward to next episode! The preview looks exciting.

e105zeta

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Shockingly bad. It was just episode 2 with 10% of the animation budget. Nidhogmon and Omegamon just stood in place and shot at each other at point blank range.

Leoil01

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
With omegamon in an interview the writer siad that he wants to use omegamon more so thats why he appeared again as for the fight to me they were a bunch of standing around i felt very anticlimactic they should have been doing more one cannon balst and then one sword slice and its over it got defeated too easily

e105zeta

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It feels like this will be a trend; Omegamon showing up to defeat the giant multi-eyed Digimon again. Nidhoggmon was really cool, though the fight didn't feel anywhere near as dynamic as the battle with Algomon.

Also, what looks like a glimpse of our third, and seemingly final, eye-themed villain. It vaguely reminds me of Keramon, except more cephalopod-ish.
I swear, if Dagomon with a complete evolution line is the next Arkadimon style villain all is forgiven.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It would be epic. However Dagomon is hardly "Eye" digimon.... For sharing Digimon 2020's villians of "eyes".

That unknown "Baby" with mono eye got octopus legs but it's all twisted up like Parasite Eve's Twisted/Digimon's Eater.

Look like everyone really had it of Omegamon or repeating miracle feathers. For me, it's animation. It made Omegamon and Nidhoggmon battle not that great at making us keep excited but instead of it's ugh terrible impressions.

Why Hikari got to remain in the human world and Takeru got teleported to digital world? WHY?!

Ragnalord

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The animation here is boring and its a repeat of episode 2 and 3, but weaker. Where were the movements, the creators need to see how other anime do an giant character vs tiny character, usually those are epic fights, this was like almost watching a turn based rpg playout.

JulieYBM

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The episode is solo key animated by Yashima Yoshitaka. Yashima excels at drawing quickly--he can apparently finish an episode in a month by himself--so this episode was seemingly planned from the beginning to be one that used as little complex animation as possible. I'm honestly surprised Yashima got to draw Omegamon considering how complex the character is but at least it didn't look too bad. I do wish some action key animators have been able to help out on the episode but alas, production schedules are what they are for long-running series.

Lilimonblooms

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
In my opinion this episode was very bad, the animation was terrible.
Taichi and yamato are overexposed and the other four are basically non existant!
Can't believe that they stayed on the ground while the other two were fighting, it doesn't make sense.
Moreover, they separated them another time to make more room for taichi and yamato, this is getting exhausting!!
This mini arc was really badly animated in my opinion.
I think that this series is going backward.

arisniko1

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I kinda agree with all those that said it was pretty much like the second epi. I mean... whats the difference? That everyone else was there this time too? Honestly I believed that this time we would see WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon. It feels like a cheat that Omegamon appeared twice already. I never liked it from the beginning as Omegamon is a fusion between those two Digimon. Not to mention that what I liked most about the original was that every crest had a meaning. All we see in this one are symbols but no explanation to help us understand better the character development. Maybe Im nitpicking and I really like the show and waiting anxiously every Sunday but it feels like it's just... action.
Also... enough with Taichi and Yamato. Give EVERY character the chance to shine and not just stand there in horror and look. And then separate them!?

PS Did anyone else got a stron D-Reaper vibe with these last three epis? lol

ChrisPerry

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
To be honest, I was really excited by preview from episode 17. Now, I feel a little bit betrayed. I was looking forward to seeing whole team again together and now... we don't know what's going with Hikari and Takeru and their respective Digimon partners.
Overall, episode was good but still lack of proper fight betweeen all Digimons and Nidhoggmon. Also, new one - Nidhoggmon looks scary for me.

dgmn

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Episode kinda felt lazily done to me. OK action was fine, but using Omegamon again (really disappointing especially in such a way).
At least they kept or are keeping the mega power level as unreachable (for now):

It feels to me as if WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon appearances might mean either a fusion of partner with his digimon, or they might play a more equal footing role as VictoryGreymon and ZeedGarurumon played in manga.

It also seems like they are combining power and evolution elements from XWs and original Adventure in this one, which I don't like at all - better sticking with old recipe for success.

Also I have a problem with this Adventure having less dramatic music than original, and too child friendly than original - no more serious themes in depth explored, or they are keeping it for the second part.

Also that eyed digimon, might be a new form of a preexisting one (Ghoulmon maybe) No Tamers or D-reaper vibes I'm afraid since it wasn't at all well executed as in those series. Those kids appearing around Hikari - probably a foreshadowing of new 02 series;

Tai and Matt in this series are way 'too courageous' - not in a good way making the series loose flavor somewhat. It's as if writers wanted to give Matt more screen time by adopting Tai's behavior in some instances completely ignoring the danger of being in a foreign unknown world (even though series is set in 2020 - kids used to digital tech doesn't equal less fear or more foolishness and brash behaviour or is that just my age talking now :LOL: