Digimon Adventure: Episode 17- The Battle in Tokyo Against Orochimon

Deep Saver

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
(Although the Jou gag about his scores dropping felt out of place and weird.)
That part really bothered me, too. Several people have commented on how Jou's portrayal in this series is closer to the dub's more neurotic take on him. That moment, though, inserting such a bad joke into such a serious life-or-death situation, was exactly the sort of thing the dub would do. It stood out unpleasantly in an otherwise decent episode.
I had the exact same reaction upon hearing Jou make that comment, in spite of never having seen more than a few clips from the dub. I was just really bizarre and forced.

The episode wasn't as enjoyable as the last one, but feels like it is leading up to something potentially more interesting. Let's see if it pays off. I genuinely think we will see WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon next episode, which I really hope I'm not right about because that might indicate another batch of boring evolution episodes incoming.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I didn't know some people viewed Orochimon as weak. It was LadyDevimon's attack that defeated it. Not this Leomon. Merely borrowed her Perfect power attack.

Oh so that was "Poison" attack? Hm? Orochimon's certain card, evolved from any Perfects? Didn't know that... For what purpose?

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hm? Orochimon's certain card, evolved from any Perfects? Didn't know that... For what purpose?
Don't think too hard about the Hyper Colosseum cards. They're very loose and variable with their evolution requirements, and they sometimes focus more on the gameplay or the references instead of sticking with strict evolution "norms."

There's a Kabuterimon card that evolves from Kuwagamon. Stingmon and XV-mon have cards where they evolve into each other. Every Human Spirit has a card where they evolve from any Perfect-level Digimon. Many Armor Digimon have cards where they evolve from any Adult (while also classified as being Adults themselves, as Hyper Colosseum doesn't have an Armor-level).

e105zeta

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I’m amused that every one of Koushiro’s Digimon profiles points out how stupid it is for the kids to be riding them.

Mattman324

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Many Armor Digimon have cards where they evolve from any Adult (while also classified as being Adults themselves, as Hyper Colosseum doesn't have an Armor-level).
To be fair, that's actually pretty reasonable. Armor is usually portrayed as more powerful than Adult, and in its initial showing in HC it was quite literally kicking the shit out of Ultimates.

Chakmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I loved Taichi's laid-back reaction to the fight at the end compared to Yamato's.
I wonder if Yuuko will leave a note for Hikari at the car (as she did for Taichi at home) since Hikari seems to be lost in the crowd now....
I'm ready for Takeru and Hikari to enter the story now. Takeru is so adorable having to jump up to look over the deck railing at the city below. I hope he gets a good story.

Lhikan634

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh, man, TK on the terrace gave me vibes of the first movie. Also, yay for more screen time for both TK and Kari. It was an overall enjoyable battle, though Orochimon indeed feels a bit… off… to be connected to Eyesmon. While he technically has a lot of eyes, it's not quite the same style. So far, Eyesmon-Orochimon has been played as a non-speaking villain, which is a bit different. This makes me realize, we really haven't had an "intelligent" villain since Ogremon, have we? Presumably, that will change soon.

Mon-Ohma

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ahh, that's interesting. We now know Sora can survive temperatures of up to 1,500 degrees. It's also uncanny how I can just picture Joe's original dub actor saying those lines.

This is something of a difficult episode to review. In that there's seemingly a lot going on, but at the same time, not much.

It starts off with a futile struggle against Orochimon Super Soaker Mode. The kids then retreat and regroup, have a chat (along with some more info dumping by Koushiro), and then back for round two.
In general, a lot of it feels like padding. In that they could have just gone straight from Eyesmon to Nidhoggmon. Rather then end with another 'It's not over yet' type cliffhanger.

Orochimon itself doesn't come across as a particularly interesting opponent compared to its former evolution. Heck, it doesn't even come across as any more interesting then previous enemy of the day Perfect Levels either. Lacking a noticeable personality, and serving little more beyond a big Boss Battle.

The only noteworthy points are finally getting something of a proper introduction to Takeru, whilst also apparently setting up Hikari's role in the plot. No doubt Yuuko is marginally more concerned now.

Additional: Mimi, you bitch! Togemon is beautiful! Just because she doesn't have nearly as much Rule 34. Mutter-Mutter...

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Mostly because a big cactus is hard to draw in that light. ...*ahem* That was action-y. Nothing worked first but hey, they got it down after some pep talks. But now it's that new Digimon. At least we got more TK/Kari. Plus the current ep has something on Devimon?