Digimon Adventure: Episode 17- The Battle in Tokyo Against Orochimon

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 17, The Battle in Tokyo Against Orochimon.

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 16.

Episode 17 airs Sunday, September 27th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, September 26th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, September 26th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, September 27th, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Really nice follow up to the prior episode.

Koushiro musing on 'what' was actually going on was interesting to me, especially how, at least from what Eyesmon was 'actually' doing, the problems in Tokyo, and even the creation of the 'fake' Tokyo, were seemingly just a side effect of it gathering data to make itself stronger.

The episode was also quite strong in having the callbacks to the Perfect Evolution episodes. It worked well to give a reason (combined with them dashing in towards the end) to have Perfect forms around this early for everyone, allowing everyone to have a part to play, even if it shall be the Taichi and Yamato show. It also allowed some good, if small, character moments. (Although the Jou gag about his scores dropping felt out of place and weird.)

Some actual time with Hikari and Takeru was nice, along with showing the different situations they find themselves in (and perhaps giving a minimal explanation to Taichi and Hikari's mom not worrying as much about Taichi and she might otherwise be.) Takeru is alone in an apartment calling Yamato, while Hikari's mom is prioritizing doing what she can to get Hikari out of the zone of apparent danger.

It was nice to see some more classic styled attacks, like the more 'cannon beam' style of Flow Cannon, and of course, them saving the first show use of Giga Destroyer for a moment when an attack with some extra emphasis was needed (I loved the animated bit of the missile dropping a bit before the full energetic launch.)

Hopefully the energy can be kept up for the next one.

The onscreen countdown feels more menacing than the one we saw earlier in the series, although using it again does feel like it doesn't have quite the 'oomph' it could had the show not used one so early.

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Overall, pretty enjoyable, albeit not the most exciting. Orochimon is cool, and they really emphasized MetalGreymon's Giga Destroyer.

Orochimon seemed really strange coming from Eyesmon, since all it does is breathe alcohol instead of any electronic/data-related abilities like Eyesmon. But Orochimon's new EMP roar does tie the two together somewhat. Definitely hyped for the next episode, knowing what's to come.

Ryudamon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It is a very good episode. It shows the courage of all the kids working together to defeat a Digimon with massive powers.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh my god. GIGA DESTORYER ARRIVED AND DELIVERED THE FINISHING BLOW!

So the reason of having Orochimon appear for that purpose to get all children and their digimon to fight together plus given a special gift!

So Orochimon's other fake head decoys were actually extra limbs eh? No wonder 6 heads have same designs of each 2 heads besides two different head designs. That sake breath was pretty strong I didn't expect.

EMP in the digital world........ Didn't affect the digital species as it seemed. It even reached outside of the digital world to make all electric devices explode in the real world. Scary. Scary. Glad EMP questions against Digimon has arrived at finally.

More countdowns? lol

Look like there are barely any disasters in Japan but just entirely blackout.

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Another callback to original Adventure..very similar in the final fight with Apoclymon but the fight is fantastic nevertheless as with most previous battles so far...
As for Orochimon at least it was defeated by 6 ultimates this time and able to evolve up a level (in Tamers it was killed off by Leomon without much fuss
That Devimon's look at the very end really gives a sense that everything so far has been going according to his plan and the children really need TK & Hikari's help to beat him soon

icomeanon6

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is all really cool stuff, but can I just say how much I appreciate Koushirou basically s***-posting in the Digimon Encyclopedia sections by speculating about a "special cushion" that makes it safe for the kids to ride the Digimon two weeks in a row? xD

ryuujinkurodou

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So far, That was an incredible episode. They are really good at balancing character proportions - nothing more, but also nothing less.
Ah. Yes, I want to apologize if my theory/words about censorship thing, might concern some of you
I just want to say, it just my wild opinion. Once again, "opinion", can be right or it can be wrong. Cheers!
Glad to see GIGA DESTROYER again. Keep it up Toei!

Tarama

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
One of the things I like most in this episode, besides Giga Destroyer, is Joe. Leading rest of the group and Zudomon super show.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Jou can be a sub-leader and Koushiro will be tactician. Not sure about others.

Enjoyed Digimon partners spoke to each others.

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's the final countdown...

I am not keen on these "three parters". Orochimon just bores me and we have another episode of Eyesmon going, evolved again psyche. I feel this arc has gone on for far too long. (I felt the same with the Kaizer arc as well in 02 that took 20 episodes to get through).

It was good to see Hikari and Takeru. With the real world issues and how it is being affected.

Finally they all worked together, only to get the...yea psyche which I mentioned irks me.

Rohan

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Dammit, I was beat to the final countdown joke. T_T

As much as I liked the last ten or so episodes, having this multiparter is really refreshing as it gives time to breathe with seeing Hikari/Takeru as well as the Chosen Children acknowledging their growth to each other. The danger is definitely ramping up as the effects are getting closer to affecting the real world with lights exploding and whatnot.

That preview though! Very hyped for what comes next. :D

Firerockbird

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A Decent episode, I didn’t think orochimon was a big threat as it was with argomon, and for the first time in a long time I felt that Joe was consistent with his "original character" (aside from that moment he talked about his entrance exam) I also feel a weak protagonism between matt and tai as if they were not so willing to resolve the situation, I just hope that in the next episode they will not bring us a mega digi-evolution at once otherwise the sense of danger will be 0 in episode 18 (I even accept omegamon's return but I think very soon that the anime will bring us wargreymon/metalgarurumon at once)

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just hope that in the next episode they will not bring us a mega digi-evolution at once otherwise the sense of danger will be 0 in episode 18 (I even accept omegamon's return but I think very soon that the anime will bring us wargreymon/metalgarurumon at once)
In the next week the Angels will appear and take down the enemy while Devimon will kidnap Hikari.

Ricardolindo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode was pretty good. Everyone got deserved time. The reflections on what was at stake, especially Yamato's, were interesting. It was nice to see Hikari and, especially, Takeru. The fight scenes were good.

Last edited:

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I liked the episode, I even liked Joe's remark about his exams falling, but I didn't like how he bragged how awesome he is. It was nice to see an Ultimate lvl Digimon that was not OHKO killed by protagonists' Digimon. Finally Takeru and Hikari got some screentime which is nice too. It makes me wonder, during the entire time here and during the previous of the next episode Takeru was not only without his cap, but also pretty far away from it. I wonder how he will end up with it in the Digital World...

Yume

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Story and animation were good! I just kept thinking about Tamer's Orochimon, so that made it difficult to accept his power level. I know it doesn't work like that, but still...

We finally got Giga Destroyer.

We finally got Mimi insinuating Palmon is not very attractive.

Now we only need Joe to ask Gomamon if he has hands, and Yamato to play a harmonica.

Golden_Fate

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I watched this episode yesterday, but I dunno if it was the beers I had had earlier but I just couldn't get into it so I watched it again this morning!

I loved all the real world sequences in this episode, ALLOT, I've said it before but I really like the emphasis that their actions in the Digital World are having effects in the real world.
I also love the perfect Digimon so much so I love seeing them all in action like we've been able to in the last episodes! But I wonder how Devimon can pose a threat against a group of Perfect levels? I imagine he must have some sort of evolution up his sleeve, or is the power of darkness THAT powerful?

I found allot of the exposition to be a little tedious to sit through, but it's bound to happen. I'm sure some probably found it compelling to have the kids reflect on their advancements thus far! The Takeru and Hikari bits were very interesting to me however, I enjoy how they're being set up into the story. I enjoyed having them see shots of the action through the electronics at home, it kinda allowed them to be 'apart' of the action for the first time. I wonder how long it will take them to catch up to their perfect levels? I'm hoping we get way more HolyAngemon than we've had in the past. I imagine it won't be too much longer until we start seeing some of the mega levels, so I wonder how far behind he'll end up trailing.

Orochimon was an okay villain, but I don't know if I enjoyed him as much as I enjoyed Eyesmon. It was more my love of the perfect levels that made the final battle enjoyable to me, it's just... so good not having Lilimon getting shot down all the time.

The final countdown gave me chills! What a cool hook!

Zarkan

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Two things that I do not understand.

If 72 hours have passed in the real world. How can a mother be so little concerned about her child. I would have called the police and would be desperate

Another scene that I don't understand. As a small child like Takeru he is alone in an apartment, in the dark with a crisis affecting the city. For now it is totally incomprehensible and I hope it is explained as soon as possible

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
(Although the Jou gag about his scores dropping felt out of place and weird.)
That part really bothered me, too. Several people have commented on how Jou's portrayal in this series is closer to the dub's more neurotic take on him. That moment, though, inserting such a bad joke into such a serious life-or-death situation, was exactly the sort of thing the dub would do. It stood out unpleasantly in an otherwise decent episode.

I'm a little surprised that several people have implied that Orochimon was portrayed as weak in Tamers. It was immune to the attacks of Andromon, a fellow Perfect-level Digimon, and the Tamers actually had a good bit of difficulty fighting him. The attack that defeated him was LadyDevimon's Poison, which "reverse(s) the phase of the opponent's own powers, obliterating them from within. The more powerful the opponent is, the more complete the technique is." Which seems pretty broken, but it's rather a compliment to Orochimon that it was the attack that destroyed him.

Orochimon has generally been portrayed as stronger than the average Perfect. Its standard profile and its info in the books indicates that it was sealed away by no less than Susanoomon, and one of its Hyper Colosseum cards is unusual in that it has Orochimon evolve from other Perfect-level Digimon.