Digimon Adventure: Episode 16- The Jet-Black Shadow Invades Tokyo

Golden_Fate

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What a great episode that was! I never expected to see the team reunite in this episode and it felt good to see all the Perfect Digimon together. I feel like it's not something we got to see much in the original.

The entire tone of the episode really worked for my taste. It had a bit of a creepy vibe to the whole thing, Taichi and Koshiro leaving Mimi alone immediately gave me cause for concern and the villain itself looked quite creepy.

Also. Miko.

Deep Saver

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the first episode in this entire show I actually wholeheartedly enjoyed. Eyesmon made a cool, creepy, and clever antagonist, and this episode actually slowed down enough to let me breathe for once, and let the characters interact in a way that felt more organic. The show was a breakneck boring mess with a few highlights before this, I hope it’s a sign of things to come.

About Taichi’s mom, I kind of just assumed the writers were thinking about her obliviousness in Our War Game and channeling that.

Libra

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Eyesmon's general shape (especially the mouth), location and height gave me a lot of Perfect Chaos vibes
And his face in official design, It reminds me of Jar Jar Binks.

Last edited:

BlankShell

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah this was a good episode.

Animation definitely an improvement from the past few weeks; still the occasional frame that's poorly done, but the attacks bit was really cool and the Inception/Dr. Strange-esque building manipulation was awesome. Really it's just good to see something break up the monotony of evolution episodes, which were incredibly hit and miss. Eyesmon made for a surprisingly cool enemy, although one wonders how a digivolved form will improve upon the challenge. Unless next week we're getting our first Mega??

I'm glad they didn't linger too long on the "hurr durr what's wrong with this picture" aspect of the episode, that's usually the downfall when it comes to those types. The audience picks up on it way sooner than the characters do, which is fine, but when you only have 22-odd minutes it helps not to belabor the point. Plus I was actually surprised they got "outside" I thought everything would just happen in the tunnels from then on out.

Lol @ "Burger Jack" being a high end food place, I do love cross-cultural food expectations.

So yeah, more like this please. Obviously the show can be better, but if we can get a consistent run of episodes I'll be happy.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Curiously Burger Jack is reference to Jack O Box or unique fast food store in Japan only?

Geode

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wasn't Orochimon the partner of one of the original Digi destined?

I'm still hoping for Dracomon, Hackmon, or Zubamon to appear in future episodes.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wasn't Orochimon the partner of one of the original Digi destined?

I'm still hoping for Dracomon, Hackmon, or Zubamon to appear in future episodes.
Yes. It's not the same universe though, so that Orochimon doesn't exist here. Different characters.

Anyway Eyesmon throwing trains, boats, and buildings at the Digimon was hilarious. I hope that gets into its DRB profile.

Attack:

Nice Boat: "Throws a boat at the enemy."

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It will be much larger version of that Gokimon's Dream Dust but way stronger I guess.

I think you already seen both Coredramon versions of Dracomon's. And Orochimon, we will figure out more about him suddenly arrived in next ep.

Mon-Ohma

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well this week it appears that the kids have wandered into a Chiaki J. Konaka plot.

Group A (naturally) takes centre stage as Mimi completely buys that they are back in the Real World, and wastes virtually no time in inviting Palmon home to meet her parents (plus the baby brother they keep locked in the attic) and scoff high calorie food.
The plot quickly thickens as it dawns on the boys that the subway they are on is supposed to be in Tokyo and not London, as they can't seem to get anywhere.

Realizing that they're a wee bit shit at this whole deception thing when even someone like Mimi has managed to clock it, the Notshademon decide to give the group nightmares instead and pursue them back upstairs.

"Don't turn your back, don't look away, and don't blink. Good luck."

Where-upon they form a bizarre Biollante/Hedorah like construct called Eyesmon. Which for me then raises the question, is there like a whole family of Digimon made up entirely of singular body parts wandering around cyberspace? Say for example, Earsmon, Nosesmon, Scr-Nah, I'm not going to stoop to that. :p

Back in the real-Real World, things are their usual chaotic self. Taichi's mother seems oddly chill (guess that's where he gets it from) about her Son going walk-about for three days, and with reports of rioting and the like going on...

Fortunately for the Partners, Eyesmon isn't as bigger a prick compared to those Kuwagamon and allows them time to evolve to Perfect. You know, it's almost tragic in a way seeing Alturkabuterimon and Lillymon immediately right after Metalgreymon's sequence.

Showing that they mean business the three throw the animation budget at Eyesmon, who responds in kind by essentially trolling them. This goes on until someone remembers Group B exists. How did they get there? Who cares, it's Group B!
I am honestly starting to get the impression the writers would have been happier just having Taichi, Mimi and Koushiro as the main characters.

If there's a possible downside to this episode, is that whilst Eyesmon's data-warpshitting abilities make for an entertaining enough spectacle, the solution for overcoming it boils down to a quite mundane 'throw more power at the problem' as it just stands there (could it not simply have separated back into its smaller forms?), instead of something perhaps a bit more creative.

-----------------

It feels like such a long time now, but ever since the assault on the fortress this Reboot for me has been steadily stagnating, and at long last we appear to finally be getting back to the events from episode three.
Though with Devimon and the Holy Digimon put on hold for the time being to focus on what I presume to be more action orientated eps. Unless this all turns out to be a big setup for a string of Ultimate debuts...

Orochimon is quite a random choice for Eyesmon's next stage. Hopefully no one this time has the bright idea to try and give it Sake.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I kind of forgot to write anything about this episode last week mostly because I have little to say about ti besides that I generally liked it.

Overall the overall weirdness of fake Tokyo was set up quite well, with Koushiro naturally being the first to catch on to many of the strange hints that something was off, while Mimi was too overjoyed to really care, which I would argue was still reasonable kid behavior until after their escape from the station at which point it was pretty silly that she'd be somehow convinced that only the Subway was haunted by mysterious Digimon and the rest of Tokyo would be perfectly fine.

I quite enjoyed that the Partners got a decent fight in their child level forms against scattered mode. Looking back, Agumon's fight against the Baby Algomon in episode 1 was truly one of the defining moments of the reboot, a statement that even in their base forms the Partner Digimon are capable of delivering interesting fights, and we finally got another demonstration of that.
I especially enjoyed seeing Palmon use her vines as a whip, a nice bit of foreshadowing...

Eyesmon in his full form worked well as an enemy without being too unbelievable as an Adult Digimon, since it's only fair to note that it did nothing more than stall his eventual defeat single hit defeat by throwing stuff their way, never demonstrating any physical defensive capabilities himself.
Instead he's dependent on any Data he absorbs.
Had it scanned a patch of random wilderness all it could have done would have been summon a bunch of dirt and plants. Had it on the other scanned part of the sun's corona, it could probably incinerate the Majority of Ultimate Digimon (but probably itself as well) in giant jets of flames millions of degrees hot.

I did think that it was slightly too fast and convenient that Koushiro would upon seeing a fake Tokyo immediately jump to the conclusion that it's Eyesmon who is causing all the power outages. It'll turn out be correct, sure, but overall you'd think with Google maps and all there should be enough Data about Tokyo on the web in general for Eyesmon to reconstruct his "nest" without having visited the real thing.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Now we can get to the plot. And while I can't say what Eyesmon is, I did use an acronym on Twitter which fits. ...Anyway, that was still amounts of creepy but still interesting. This is how you make an episode.