Digimon Adventure: Episode 16- The Jet-Black Shadow Invades Tokyo

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 16, The Jet-Black Shadow Invades Tokyo

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 15.

Episode 16 airs Sunday, September 20th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, September 19th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, September 19th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, September 20th, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Good episode. After all the episodes more aiming to focus on one character, it was nice to get a slightly more 'group' episode.

And it felt breezy, but not fast paced, which was a nice feeling.

The visual effects had a nice 'slight' creepy feeling to them (with a bit wilder creepy imagery later with Eyesmon combining, and the digital effects themselves felt a bit creepier.)

Also nice, while somewhat stereotypical, was the difference reactions to being back in Tokyo:
Mimi bought it into it entirely, and even came up with explanations to explain away issues.
Taichi didn't seem to quite believe it, but wanted to.
Koushiro didn't believe it, but was asking questions, hoping he was just being picky.

The Digimons had some nice reactions to 'the real world', and I hope we get to see more of that later (perhaps with avocado cheeseburger said slightly less.)

Having the others show up mid fight, and brush away the 'welcome back' stuff works well to keep the pace up, and the eventual shot of all 6 flying past one at a time worked supremely well, and had a good dynamic energy to it (and the blast at the end of the fight had a nice 'this is a big blast' energy to it.)

The 'perfect evolution' episodes were a bit up and down, but this one hit just right for me with characterization, the story moving forward (clarifying Eyesmon as the problem, prior to evolving to Orochimon), some decent battle scenes.

Quite happy, hoping the follow up to this keeps it up.

And I 'think' that was the first time we actually hear Hikari? (Edit- Others have said we did indeed hear her talk earlier.)

Ragnalord

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Today's episode was epic, eyesmon reminded me of quartzmon.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh? The animation suddenly became good but since all chosen ones reunited, the animation kinda went back to Tri... But Childs Vs one Eyesmon animation was so amazing!

Oddly Yamato's group's reunion was sudden. No explanations of how they got there...

Did Orochimon arrived? It seemed to me Eyesmon retreated and evolved because of Orochimon's appearance matched to evolving always have this "evolving" skin.

Weirdly Eyesmon could fit Algomon for their name origins perfectly but "evolved" to this Orochimon???

ryuujinkurodou

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wait a sec . . . Did Koushiro said that in the real world has been passed the third night?
Dude c'mon . . . are their parents to dumb to notice that their kids are already missing for 3 days without any apparent reason? They should have panicked, at least . . .
It kinda fools, that the children spend almost 12 years* in the digital world.
*(Reference: 1 minute in real-world = 1 day in the digital world, DA 1999)

Last edited:

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hmm now you mention it. If his laptop's connection is restored, then all children's smartphones would get messages flooded by their worried parents right now...

Importantly... How did that Tentomon holding a train ticket?!

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm guessing this episode is another take on original Adventure Ep21...

ryuujinkurodou

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hmm now you mention it. If his laptop's connection is restored, then all children's smartphones would get messages flooded by their worried parents right now...

Importantly... How did that Tentomon holding a train ticket?!
I think their smartphones are not working (all main features) while in Digital World, Sora has mentioned it earlier in episode 4, that her smartphone didn't work at all.
Taichi also figures it out in this episode, if they are really back into the real world, their smartphone would be fully functionally working again.
And yeah I wish the studio will showing us that scene you mentioned someday if they back in the real world. If not, it would be odd

e105zeta

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Nice horror episode and Eyesmon is easily one of my favorite Adult stage designs now.

omegalucas

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Eyesmon's general shape (especially the mouth), location and height gave me a lot of Perfect Chaos vibes

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think their smartphones are not working (all main features) while in Digital World, Sora has mentioned it earlier in episode 4, that her smartphone didn't work at all.
Taichi also figures it out in this episode, if they are really back into the real world, their smartphone would be fully functionally working again.
And yeah I wish the studio will showing us that scene you mentioned someday if they back in the real world. If not, it would be odd
I forgot. No wonder but still the source causing the disasters vanished when the laptop's connection to the real world made me assumed... So yeah...

Amandil7

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A refreshing team up episode after those somewhat tedious Perfect Digimon episodes!

Rohan

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Good episode. Feels kinda weird going back to a multi-parter format after so many standalone episodes. As a result I don't have much to say since less stuff happened than usual.

Eyesmon was very creepy, seeing all the Perfects working together was very gratifying. Nice to finally have the group back together again. An enemy using buildings against you gave me flashbacks to Kingdom Hearts 2's final boss lol. Can't wait to see them go up against Orochimon.

Firerockbird

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
an episode ok, the fight scenes were cool but the rest of the events in that episode seemed very "artificial", tai and izzy didn’t seem emotional when they supposedly came home and I was realizing that they don’t seem to be worried about their families (Tai you Are you more concerned with an entire city than your sister? Do you still care about her?) Mimi was the only character who seemed more consistent in this episode (despite being spoiled and boring) izzy took a long time to realize something was wrong there, i also miss an additional scene explaining how matt's group got to that fake tokyo, even if it was a quick and inconsistent scene.

Piers

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Good episode imo.
Besides Taichi. If there's arguably one situation they could have finally given him some interesting flaws, it's getting pulled into this fake reality more than any other team mate due to his concern over Hikari. And even if it's fitting more for Mimi to get swept up over first-world amenities, it could have been great to see Taichi get as psyched up about it too. Finally, forget this dumb leadership and firm spirit I have to keep up — I can just go play football again.

I think that's something even the original TV show did, in fact. Taichi was back in the real world for one episode and was like "Screw them, I'm back home". As a kid I thought he was being out of character, but that flaw aged really well. It's an amazing touch of reality that the show didn't need but benefitted a lot from, compared to 2020 Taichi who is JRPG protagonist levels of flawless potato.

Notus

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I forgot. No wonder but still the source causing the disasters vanished when the laptop's connection to the real world made me assumed... So yeah...
When Koushiro got his digivice, a "Chosen System" was downloaded to his tablet. I assume that's why it's able to connect to the real world (and do all the digiworld analysis it has been doing) and the smartphones aren't.

Ricardolindo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode was pretty good. It was a group episode after several character focused episodes. Seeing Taichi's group realize things weren't right and that they weren't, actually, back in the Real World was interesting. Eyesmon was creepy. Seeing the groups reunite was good. The fight scenes were cool. On a secondary note, Mimi's obsession with the avacafo cheeseburger was fun.
i also miss an additional scene explaining how matt's group got to that fake tokyo, even if it was a quick and inconsistent scene.
I would also have liked such a scene but I guess the implication is that the tunnel was the meeting point and that Yamato's group also arrived there later.

Mattman324

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Eyesmon just having to constantly bullshit new ways to get them to stop attacking it because it knew it would be dead the minutes they landed one good hit as Perfects was fun. This episode wasn't bad, but it wasn't really... great, either. Still, more episodes like this would be nice.

You know, if we're not getting the Ultimate Evolutions Arc in the mid 20s to shit on the pacing again.

Gwydion

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The big difference to me as far as characters' reactions to being back in the human world (supposedly) was that in '99 Taichi returned after having been taken to the Digital World without any warning of what it was or what was expected of him there, had been gone for quite a long time, and after defeating a "big boss" in Etemon. Here the kids returned after being gone (assumedly) less time, with Taichi and Koushiro already having interactions with digimon, knowing that the digimon situation was having a negative effect on their own world and they could stop it, and before accomplishing anything they set out to do. I was happy it was only Mimi happy to take a shower and eat avocado cheeseburgers again and buy into everything being fixed without their help as that felt like how her character would really react. Had Taichi and/or Koushiro done the same, it would have seemed strange to me considering the circumstances of their arriving. It looked like it was going to at first with the opening shots closely mirroring the first shots of '99's ep 21, so I was relieved to see the two of them skeptical.

What DID feel really off was knowing that Taichi had been missing for days during an emergency, and his mom was just like "welp here's a note so he knows where we've gone". Maybe she was putting on a brave face for Hikari, but it was weird we didn't see any amount of concern for her missing son!

Other than that (and the show seeming like it wants to have its cake and eat it too in terms of there being a time difference between worlds only when it's convenient), I quite enjoyed this episode. The atmosphere was great and suitably creepy, and it was nice seeing everyone come together at the end. Maybe my feelings for it are stronger as I really appreciated finally getting a change of pace from the predictable batch of episodes we just slogged through (some I liked, some I didn't, but none I loved), but for right now, at least, I really had a good time watching it. Looking forward to the continuation next week with the whole group involved!

Ricardolindo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The big difference to me as far as characters' reactions to being back in the human world (supposedly) was that in '99 Taichi returned after having been taken to the Digital World without any warning of what it was or what was expected of him there, had been gone for quite a long time, and after defeating a "big boss" in Etemon. Here the kids returned after being gone (assumedly) less time, with Taichi and Koushiro already having interactions with digimon, knowing that the digimon situation was having a negative effect on their own world and they could stop it, and before accomplishing anything they set out to do. I was happy it was only Mimi happy to take a shower and eat avocado cheeseburgers again and buy into everything being fixed without their help as that felt like how her character would really react. Had Taichi and/or Koushiro done the same, it would have seemed strange to me considering the circumstances of their arriving. It looked like it was going to at first with the opening shots closely mirroring the first shots of '99's ep 21, so I was relieved to see the two of them skeptical.

What DID feel really off was knowing that Taichi had been missing for days during an emergency, and his mom was just like "welp here's a note so he knows where we've gone". Maybe she was putting on a brave face for Hikari, but it was weird we didn't see any amount of concern for her missing son!

Other than that (and the show seeming like it wants to have its cake and eat it too in terms of there being a time difference between worlds only when it's convenient), I quite enjoyed this episode. The atmosphere was great and suitably creepy, and it was nice seeing everyone come together at the end. Maybe my feelings for it are stronger as I really appreciated finally getting a change of pace from the predictable batch of episodes we just slogged through (some I liked, some I didn't, but none I loved), but for right now, at least, I really had a good time watching it. Looking forward to the continuation next week with the whole group involved!
I, too, think Taichi's mother should have shown more worry at the fact he's been missing for 3 days.
As for the time difference, apparently, it's not as big that of the original Adventure.