Digimon Adventure: Episode 15- Zudomon's Iron Hammer of Lightning

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 15, Zudomon's Iron Hammer of Lightning!

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 14.

Episode 15 airs Sunday, September 13th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, September 12th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, September 12th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, September 13th, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode was probably the best constructed out of the 'evolve to Perfect' episodes, maybe a second to Mimi's episode.

The general plot and characterization ran through it quite well, with the episode doing a good job of giving the characters a reason to separate, leading to Jou and Gomamon having to do the fighting on their own.

It also felt like the halves blended together better than they did say, last week, where the episode was good, but the halves felt a bit separate.

Jou getting a number of good moments in this one, including the realizing he can't really ask for help and doing what needed to be done really worked well, and especially Gomamon sticking by his side and them talking about doing it.

The Zudomon evolution scene was probably the best of the non stock footage Perfect evolutions, and the end to that fight with the hammer had some good energy behind it.

Seeing the other team in the desert felt very Roadrunner to me (perhaps on purpose with the Mimi and Kiwimon gag with Palmon skiing behind.)

Ending with them in the middle of the city without much time for commentary worked good as a cliffhanger moment for the next episode.

Really happy with this one.

YongYoKyo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It feels odd seeing Mammon as the main episode villain. Also, compared to its previous appearances, there's a larger focus around Mammon's "eye"; interesting when considering the eye theme of the major villainous Digimon.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
All terrible animation this today. All digimon's faces were so... Derpy.

It is really awkward to see Yukidarumon enemies being destroyed even knowing they are infected because they are pretty much known as gentle digimon. But their subzero "virus" are something cool to see.

Did Ikkakumon just discarded all furs to evolve to Zudomon? WTF? And weird part is that animal pelt head equipping acted like it's helmet to put... So Zudomon isn't wielding the Thor hammer but it became weapon summon? What... The... Hades?

Hmm I wonder what's up with Mammon flashing the eye symbol for?!

Look like all digimon partners are fine with destroying digimon enemies... I guess it's probably normal for that digital world?

Mimi was so reckless thinking Kiwimon groups are cute and it's fine to ride them? Wow it's really different Mimi. But oddly it's Mimi alright.

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sora seems to be the most targeted among the digidestined since she got crunched by Machinedramon and face-licked in Tri and now partially frozen...please don't let it become a running gag like Leomon:S

Zudomon's evolution scene is so cool and badass and it seems that there is a lot more Norse mythology elements added with the summon of the hammer (just like Thor)

And with no explanation Tai's group is back to human world which really feels like they are rushing the storyline...overall another great episode:)

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sora seems to be the most targeted among the digidestined since she got crunched by Machinedramon and face-licked in Tri and now partially frozen...please don't let it become a running gag like Leomon:S
In real life/reality... She'd be squished instantly and this episode, her organs functioning halted could lead to scary results if frozen from her leg to chest including arm then it'll be.... Amputation surgery. Yeah severing is scary. Oddly that frozen land didn't give kids hard time to get cold that easy or even their fragile costumes... And campfire in the whole frozen land cured her just fine?! Oh c'mon

lordramon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's fine because she's just data. All they needed to do was to remove the status condition. Campfires are known for changing isFrozen=true; to false

ryuujinkurodou

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Dunno, but it swaps his main attack due to censorships, coz his main attack is just like missiles. Just like they swap MetalGreymon giga destroyer into giga storm

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I haven't a lot ot say on this episode.

Joe finally got the development that I felt he really needed. This set up the evolution of Ikkakkumon to Zudamon well.

The summon of the hammer was pretty dang nice. The evolution sequence it'self, wasn't all that fussed.

I wasn't fussed with "what the other group were doing" this time around. Normally it's nice to see a little bit on that, but it felt eh. But still a decent enough episode.

Still not going a dang about the ending theme, will likely start to skip that going forward.

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The episode was okay, previous ones were much better than this one, but this one wasn't tragic as well. It's just that there isn't much to write about it.

It was nice to see how smart Mammothmon can be. Normally other Digimons would just give up the chase, but Mammothmon created an ice bridge instead...

I hope that Joe will finally stop that "leader" BS. He starts to be as annoying as Mimi was in the original series.

Ricardolindo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think this episode was good.
The whole drama with Sora being frozen was interesting.
Jou realized he has to fight, too, in order to protect his friends when they cannot fight, which earned him his evolution.
I was shocked by the twist of Taichi's group arriving in the Real World.

dgmn

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Mammothmon was persistent in his chase, great use of his ice powers (finally after 2 decades).

Now can we please get back to the main plot and some tougher opponents with strategy necessary to defeat them.

Firerockbird

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'll be brief and say just a few things:

- the animation of this episode was horrible compared to the last episode.
- they gave a "good" reason for not seeing matt and sora fighting.
- I still don't like this Joe and many things in this episode could be better
- the part of the running kiwimons was the best thing of the whole episode!

Mammothmon was persistent in his chase, great use of his ice powers (finally after 2 decades).

Now can we please get back to the main plot and some tougher opponents with strategy necessary to defeat them.
what strategy? fight until your Digimon Digi-evolve to a higher level? because honestly, that’s what I’m seeing in these episodes after 10, I’m not going to be surprised if wargreymon shows up before episode 20.

ryuujinkurodou

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Dunno, but it swaps his main attack due to censorships, coz his main attack is just like missiles. Just like they swap MetalGreymon giga destroyer into giga storm
then why did MetalTyrannomon keep the missiles?
That thing also bothering me. I assumed that they missed that. Do you know that episode 10 has the worst quality control and bad quality animation right? Alongside with episode 4.

Last edited:

Firerockbird

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
wait, are they censoring missiles in this reboot? that sounds kind of stupid, you know why? because we had tank digimons several episodes ago, and if they are so keen to censor missiles then why did the guardromon missile attack remain intact in the animation?

ryuujinkurodou

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
wait, are they censoring missiles in this reboot? that sounds kind of stupid, you know why? because we had tank digimons several episodes ago, and if they are so keen to censor missiles then why did the guardromon missile attack remain intact in the animation?
Not sure, I just presumed it. it can be right or it can be wrong.

Rohan

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A good episode. Joe finally found his Courage...err wait wrong Crest. :ROFLMAO:

I'm always skeptical regarding Gomamon focused episodes because he's kinda like the Aquaman of the group, but I felt the moving around in the snowy mountains worked quite well. Nice to see Mammon again even if he wasn't as threatening as the other Perfects encountered so far. Zudomon bursting out of Ikakkumon during the Evo sequence was like woah. I liked the Kiwimon segment because it emphasised that not everything is out to kill the kids. That cliffhanger though...

This was definitely a budget episode in terms of animation. Likely they're saving it for next week which looks to be a really good episode.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The animation took a dip from last time, which was kind of expected unfortunately.
But overall the episode was executed well even if I'm not sure I like Joe's devlopment quite as much as Koushiro's.
It also did a good job of keeping the other characters occupied in a believable way; Sora being incapacitated of course and while WereGarurumon could have fought, the fact that there were a lot of Yukidarumon around that could have attacked the kids while he would have been occupied with Mammon, so them making sure to lure all the enemies away actually was like a reasonable choice this time around.
Speaking of Sora, I think it was good thinking on the writer's part to use to use some data ice virus rather than just having abnormal growing but otherwise normal ice freeze her body like it seemed about to when she was first hit. If it looks less than the real thing there's less of an expectation for it to act like the real thing, as in leaving actual frost bite and such. It's still a bit cheap, but better than the alternative.

One aspect that still kind of annoys me is that it is never clear how much the Digimon know about other species and what they don't. Gomamon seemed well enough informed to know how exactly Yukidarumon's ice attack works and how to cure it, but that ice based Digimon could just freeze the river and walk across somehow never crosses his mind.

It was pretty gratifying to see that it was actually a challenge for Joe to not fall off Ikkakumon, while he slid and jumped around, it created a much better sense of risk but it still leaves an impression of hypocrisy when it's only Joe who has those problems while Taichi and Koushiro don't even seem to register their partners somersaulting through the air.

For Ikkakumon the evolution itself looked better than the fight, honestly. The movement when he clashed with Mammon felt too staggered, there wasn't really much that indicated momentum or weight being thrown around the shockwave effect that I'm pretty sure was only included to make up for the lack of impact in the actual clash animation. This trend of overcompensating in different areas continued for the rest of the fight, most notably when Zudomon spent much more time summoning his hammer in a storm of sparkles than he did doing any fighting with it.

The little scenes of the other groups worked better this episode than the peaks of Yamato's group in the previous episodes, but the Kiwimon part still looked like something that was thrown in just so they'd have something to do but the cliffhanger at the end made it worth it at least... Tokyo was just in a cave all along, who knew.

Dunno, but it swaps his main attack due to censorships, coz his main attack is just like missiles.
That's not true. The missile part of Mammon's attack is basically a rarely used alternate form; The main use of "Tusk Strikes" has always been... you know, physical strikes with its tusks, as described in its profile.
Also the eye glows because it is presumably using its clairvoyance to see ahead, again as in the profile.

I'd argue the only reason MetalGreymon got Giga Storm was because his debut was against MetalTyranomon who has a pretty much identical missile attack and they wanted something different for MetalGreymon to set him apart and then they decided to stick with the new attack in later episodes. If there's a future situation that missiles would solve better than a laser blast (like hitting a target around a corner or something) I fully expect them to go back to Giga Destroyer.

then why did MetalTyrannomon keep the missiles?
That thing also bothering me. I assumed that they missed that. Do you know that episode 10 has the worst quality control and bad quality animation right? Alongside with episode 4.
That is literally impossible. The whole sequence of them attacking MetalTyranomon over and over and especially Greymon seemingly landing a hit only to be pushed back by a missile was one of the central sequences of the episode, it was the climax of of the "Greymon" part of the fight and a last grand statement of the power-gap between Adult and Perfect level before the protagonists made it to that stage, there is nothing about that anyone could have just missed; that would be like arguing that the original light saber duel between Obi-Wan and Darth Vader in the original Star Wars was only left in by mistake.
I also disagree about your claim about animation and quality control. Besides a few shoddy shots you'll find in almost any episode episode 10 had pretty good animation, easily in the upper half of episodes so far, as it should have as the big Perfect debut. There was good looking movement, characters were pretty much on model even from greater distances and the actual scene of MetalGreymon's debut and him taking out MetalTyranomon still rank as some of the most fluid and detailed sequences the anime has produced to date, even if it was disappointingly short.

roni c

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sorry if thats off-topic, but what do you think going to be on the next episode?
I thought the 2 groups will meet and see for thier first time Devimon. Now its look like they went to difrrent plot. maybe its a digimon that "mind controlling" them and they are still in the digital world.