Digimon Adventure: Episode 14- The Kings of the Insects Clash

e105zeta

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode kinda bothered me with how the kids were overwhelmed by Kuwagamon, but still not evolving their partner Digimon to their Perfect-level, only at the end, Greymon evolved to MetalGreymon, seriously, what took him so long.
Previously, it didn't took that long for Greymon to evolve to MetalGreymon to fight Andromon, but his bulky size and the narrow and collapsing surrounding area limited its movement, hence the chance for Lilymon, it was well-written and logical.
I just can't come up with any reasonable explanation for this episode's illogical actions.
Any thoughts about this, guys?
And it felt like Tri's first episode, they were able to evolve to Perfect-level or beyond but "chose" to be overwhelmed by Kuwagamon.
Is it a thing for them to be trampled by Kuwagamon that much?
It probably has do with Kuwagamon being their very first enemy.
The Perfect arc in the original had the group largely separated for this very reason.

JulieYBM

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Are there like... two different writing teams for the separate groups? Because group A is killing it in the character development. For real, Izzy's overreliance on the tablet would be one thing (and well portrayed) but his admission at the end that he developed the reliance because he wanted to fulfill a certain niche within the group made it incredibly relatable. And he's still smart on his own, which is great. It's no "my parents aren't my bio-parents" but still.

As usual there's no clear distinction on the miasma front which is still a big pet peeve of mine! There was a Soundbirdmon, but the Kuwagamon had miasma, but Okuwamon (like Cannonbeemon?) had nothing. Hopefully we'll get answers once we get to Leomon.

The fight scenes in this episode were also top notch, I especially enjoyed Togemon vaulting over the fallen Greymon for an uppercut. MegaKabuterimon just wrecking things was also a blast, especially set to Extreme Fight. A bit of a bummer Lilymon didn't get an appearance, but I guess they had stalled for enough time with a MetalGreymon evolution sequence.

That said the animation outside of the fight scenes was... not great? The human character models in particular looked poorly animated and had weird facial features and proportions. And the same-y background wasn't my favorite, but that's minor given the diversity in locations we've had so far. All in all a great episode.
Nope, the series' 'head writer' (the credit is 'series kousei' or 'series composition' in English) is Tomioka Atsuhiro (long-time writer of Pokemon and did series composition for DP-XY). Tomioka assigns episodes to whoever he has on hand that can write them if he is not available, either because he is writing scripts himself or because he is also writing for other series (he still writes for Pokemon, where he wrote Episode #34 of Pokemon 2019). Digimon Adventure (2020) Episode #14 is written by Sogo Masashi. Sogo-san was did the series composition for BLEACH (#1-212) and Fairy Tail. He also wrote scripts for Pokemon Advanced Generation and Diamond & Pearl. But keep in mind, scripts are written based off of what the series director wants and also have to include the demands of producers, especially for a merchandise series like Digimon. Someone from Bandai is definitely in the story meetings suggesting ways to incorporate the shit he has to shill. Luckily, everyone is used to these things and also artisans themselves so they try as much as they can to maintain a creative work. Bare in mind, some schmuck from the network is also going to be in on these meetings and a Toei producer is going to want to make sure this series is also marketable in the international market. Sometimes the staff can and will just ignore these outside influences for the sake of their creative will, though.

Anyway, Episode #14 really feels to me like the sort of story Tomioka writes over in Pokemon. By the time of Diamond & Pearl we were seeing characters have actual character arcs and also using strategies. I'm sure Series Director Mitsuka Masato and the others all tried their best to think up a good scenario to depict Koushirou here. That or Sogo did a lot of leg work and managed to pull off this episode with his own ideas.

Script Writers by Episode:
#1: Tomioka Atsuhiro
#2: Tomioka Atsuhiro
#3: Tomioka Atsuhiro
#4: Yamashita Ken'ichi
#5: Tomioka Atsuhiro
#6: Yamaguchi Hiroshi
#7: Furuta Takeshi
#8: Satou Toshi'aki
#9: Sogo Masashi
#10: Tomioka Atsuhiro
#11: Tomioka Atsuhiro
#12: Yamashita Ken'ichi
#13: Sogo Masashi

This episode kinda bothered me with how the kids were overwhelmed by Kuwagamon, but still not evolving their partner Digimon to their Perfect-level, only at the end, Greymon evolved to MetalGreymon, seriously, what took him so long.
Previously, it didn't took that long for Greymon to evolve to MetalGreymon to fight Andromon, but his bulky size and the narrow and collapsing surrounding area limited its movement, hence the chance for Lilymon, it was well-written and logical.
I just can't come up with any reasonable explanation for this episode's illogical actions.
And it felt like Tri's first episode, they were able to evolve to Perfect-level or beyond but "chose" to be overwhelmed by Kuwagamon.
"Togemon and Greymon were too overwhelmed!" is the only answer. The storyboard by Nakano ★ You definitely didn't convey that aspect well enough but I would imagine Mitsuka didn't have the time to make a change to make it clearer what was going on. Having 6-8 episodes in various stages of production all at the same time while trying to meet a very short schedule often leaves things being overlooked just to make sure the next episode can air.

zerorynga

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Are there like... two different writing teams for the separate groups? Because group A is killing it in the character development. For real, Izzy's overreliance on the tablet would be one thing (and well portrayed) but his admission at the end that he developed the reliance because he wanted to fulfill a certain niche within the group made it incredibly relatable. And he's still smart on his own, which is great. It's no "my parents aren't my bio-parents" but still.

As usual there's no clear distinction on the miasma front which is still a big pet peeve of mine! There was a Soundbirdmon, but the Kuwagamon had miasma, but Okuwamon (like Cannonbeemon?) had nothing. Hopefully we'll get answers once we get to Leomon.

The fight scenes in this episode were also top notch, I especially enjoyed Togemon vaulting over the fallen Greymon for an uppercut. MegaKabuterimon just wrecking things was also a blast, especially set to Extreme Fight. A bit of a bummer Lilymon didn't get an appearance, but I guess they had stalled for enough time with a MetalGreymon evolution sequence.

That said the animation outside of the fight scenes was... not great? The human character models in particular looked poorly animated and had weird facial features and proportions. And the same-y background wasn't my favorite, but that's minor given the diversity in locations we've had so far. All in all a great episode.
Nope, the series' 'head writer' (the credit is 'series kousei' or 'series composition' in English) is Tomioka Atsuhiro (long-time writer of Pokemon and did series composition for DP-XY). Tomioka assigns episodes to whoever he has on hand that can write them if he is not available, either because he is writing scripts himself or because he is also writing for other series (he still writes for Pokemon, where he wrote Episode #34 of Pokemon 2019). Digimon Adventure (2020) Episode #14 is written by Sogo Masashi. Sogo-san was did the series composition for BLEACH (#1-212) and Fairy Tail. He also wrote scripts for Pokemon Advanced Generation and Diamond & Pearl. But keep in mind, scripts are written based off of what the series director wants and also have to include the demands of producers, especially for a merchandise series like Digimon. Someone from Bandai is definitely in the story meetings suggesting ways to incorporate the shit he has to shill. Luckily, everyone is used to these things and also artisans themselves so they try as much as they can to maintain a creative work. Bare in mind, some schmuck from the network is also going to be in on these meetings and a Toei producer is going to want to make sure this series is also marketable in the international market. Sometimes the staff can and will just ignore these outside influences for the sake of their creative will, though.

Anyway, Episode #14 really feels to me like the sort of story Tomioka writes over in Pokemon. By the time of Diamond & Pearl we were seeing characters have actual character arcs and also using strategies. I'm sure Series Director Mitsuka Masato and the others all tried their best to think up a good scenario to depict Koushirou here. That or Sogo did a lot of leg work and managed to pull off this episode with his own ideas.

"Togemon and Greymon were too overwhelmed!" is the only answer. The storyboard by Nakano ★ You definitely didn't convey that aspect well enough but I would imagine Mitsuka didn't have the time to make a change to make it clearer what was going on. Having 6-8 episodes in various stages of production all at the same time while trying to meet a very short schedule often leaves things being overlooked just to make sure the next episode can air.
Yeah, that's what I said, they were overwhelmed, but then why didn't they just evolve?
Oh, wait, so you are saying they were too overwhelmed that they couldn't evolve?
Not sure if I get you right.
Well, it definitely didn't convey that well enough.
I've seen overwhelmed and almost dead Digimon evolved all right.
Even if not everything is the same, they shouldn't have overlooked this problem, and it's important to make things clearer.

JulieYBM

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Yeah, that's what I said, they were overwhelmed, but then why didn't they just evolve?
Oh, wait, so you are saying they were too overwhelmed that they couldn't evolve?
Not sure if I get you right.
Well, it definitely didn't convey that well enough.
I've seen overwhelmed and almost dead Digimon evolved all right.
Even if not everything is the same, they shouldn't have overlooked this problem, and it's important to make things clearer.
I'm saying that they were too overwhelmed to evolve. Think of it like needing a moment to pause and catch your breath before you do something. Anime makes great use of kairological time, experiencing time how it feels rather than how it actually passes. This is why battles or story arcs can spend dozens if not hundreds of episodes all taking place on a single day or so. In this case it's used to provide an excuse that keeps Greymon and Togemon at bay so as to mount pressure on Koushirou.

nelmars78

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't know if anyone noticed, but I believe Takeru appeared in this episode. Or rather, just his hand...

Well, if you check it out, all - or almost all, if I remember correctly - have, in addition to their digivices, an identical cell phone with colored cases representing the color of their crests.

For example:

Hikari cell phone, pink. As seen on Episode 1, when she drops it while talking with Taichi.
Taichi cell phone, Orange. As seen on Episode 1 when he contacted his mother and Hikari.
Sora's cell phone, red. As seen on Episode 4, at the first take of Sora in the Digital World.
Yamato's cell phone, blue. As seen on the first ending.

And in this episode 14 we were simply thrown to a newscast about a building on fire, where trapped inside an elevator, there was a person with a cell phone IDENTICAL TO OTHERS, but in a GREEN color. Well, see... Naturally the color associated with Takeru in Digimon Adventure was Yellow, but in 02 it started to be green, where even its digivice received the green color. Coincidentally a color associated with hope itself.

So ... I just question myself if like koichi kimura in Frontier, something bad will happen to Takeru there.
I doubt that was Takeru. I rewatched that scene and you can see the elevator buttons in the background. Takeru can't be that tall for his hand to be be able to reach the elevator buttons, considering you can see the button for the 8th floor.

Last edited:

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The teamwork continues somewhat later when Togemon is struggling with another Kuwagamon (using the same mandible lock approach as Greymon but being caught in an awkward unbalanced spot after being smashed into the ground upside down) and Greymon forces it to retreat with a blast.
I found this scene lol and funny. But I surely don't remember Kuwagamon shooting in the games. Unless if you mean Digital Battle Card? I think I forgot completely.

Few comments about Koushiro was just fine after riding AtlurKabuterimon's Horn Buster drill spinning... I agree that... How did he didn't fall off of that attack?! He'd be thrown off at instant speed and get squished in nasty splash!

Mattman324

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Unless if you mean Digital Battle Card?
If it were in Digital Card Battle/Arena it would have a name. That's the only reason we know about things like the name of Metalgreymon's fire breath attack, amongst other moves.

Kuwagamon and Okuwamon have had energy attacks for a while, they're just unnamed, like a lot of attacks go.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Then no wonder I forget that easy because it had no name.

Mon-Ohma

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Mimi: What if we get lost and can't get out?

Crow: *Mimicking* Gee, What if we conveniently forget we have three Digimon that can fly?

-------------

We start off with a familiar scenario, Yamato acting Kuudere.
Things then cut to a quick update at what's going on in the Real World (I like how some of the trapped people are thoughtful enough to wear face masks) before catching up with the writer's favourites.

Now my primary gripe with the episode emerges regarding the decision for the characters taking the more difficult option by going through the maze of canyons in the first place, rather then simply having Kabuterimon ferry them over the top.
Keeping a low profile from the enemy is becoming a rather flimsy excuse by this point. Group B don't seem particularly all that arsed about it, nor do the Soundbirmon appear to have much of a problem keeping a general tab. In addition to the fact both Groups now have two Perfects each.
The canyon walls themselves impose a massive restriction on the protagonist's ability to spot and react to any approaching danger, along with providing enemy Digimon with a huge tactical advantage via ambush from above. Something the Kuwagamon take full advantage off

Very quickly the central plot becomes apparent in Koushiro's continuing computer problems. Causing him to experience an attack of character development.

Action pornography commences as Greymon and Togemon fail to evolve due to *insert hand wave*. The arrival of an Okuwamon ensures the cast thoroughly have the shit kicked out of them, though not enough to incapacitate.
After some more faffing about, Koushiro finally realizes that he's still Iron Man without the suit, or something like that...Atlurkabuterimon's strength makes the Kuwagamon cry.
One small detail I quite like, is that despite having no visual expressions, they balance it out by giving Tentomon's forms a vibrant personality. If they ever get Jeff Nimoy back for the dub, he's going to have a lot of fun.

It is perhaps fortunate the Kuwagamon are not bright enough to understand Koushiro's plan (despite shouting it from the top of his lungs) to re-enact a scene he saw in Jurassic Park.
Imagine how embarrassing it could have been if one of them suddenly piped up in a well-spoken accent, that they just heard all of that. '>_>

The plot suddenly allows Greymon to evolve at last. Mimi fulfils her comical quota for this week. Okuwamon puts up a miniscule of resistance, before being finished off with a Choudenji Spin.

We end with Yamato deciding to stop acting Kuudere, and end that with a new ending. A somewhat trippy looking one... O _ o

-------------

Overall, it was a bit of a mixed bag. Koushiro getting some growth beyond 'Mr Walking Database' was nice, even if it took a fairly simplistic and predictable route. Though it remains to be seen if this is something that will stick and not be forgotten about in a few episodes.
The Tentomon line has always been my favourite of the original eight, and IMO has the most enjoyable bond with his human. Getting a chance to properly face off one-on-one against his long-standing nemesis, it was something of an improvement over Kabuterimon's first appearance.
The main weakness for me laid in several contrivances such as the setup, and dancing around the problem of having two Perfects already on hand with several opportunities to bring them out during the fight. Lillymon certainly would have been suited to the tightness of the canyons.

Either way I shall be glad to see the end of this current slog of evolution debuts, and whether or not Joe can salvage something for Group B before we can finally get back to the plot.

dgmn

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Now it seems, all these episodes with them evolving can be skipped (they wasted 5 eps) just like the World Tour arc in 02.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
...Well I thought it was nice. Though it is funny that they didn't evo. Though Lilymon might not be strong enough if hit. But hey, Izzy got his shot and we're almost to Leomon and those cool eps after.