Digimon Adventure: Episode 13- Garudamon of the Crimson Wings

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 13, Garudamon of the Crimson Wings!

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 12.

Episode 13 airs Sunday, August 30th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, August 29th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, August 29th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, August 30th, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My primary thought this time is... not enough Sora.

I do like the episode, but for what should have been a focus episode, it felt like Sora only had 'maybe' 3 good moments, all of which were quite short. They connect it to what she did 2 episodes earlier, but it didn't feel solid enough here.

We got some decent air action with Birdramon, which was nice. Plus a short evo sequence.

I really liked the Garudamon sequence, while not long, it felt dynamic and it felt exciting. Although this one definitely didn't really feel earned. They sort of just did what they did with Yamato and it felt energy-less.

CannonBeemon being used as a base was nice, as was seeing the cannon shots do some real damage. (Plus his head falling off at the end was a nice touch.)

WereGarurumon's 'stock' evolution sequence may have actually been nicer than the fancy one we got 2 weeks ago. His background touch was 'the moon', suggesting Mugendramon last week was just a 'touch' to show some flair with the transformation with the evolution.

Jou gets played as the butt again, but actually has a good moment near the end with Ikkakumon. Gomamon also gets to break out of prison... but then no one seems to comment on if he could have always done that?

The Garudamon stuff was nice, and I did like the episode, but it felt flat overall compared to prior ones.

Golden_Fate

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A fine episode I suppose, I liked the Canonbeemon enemy.
I feel like I haven't had issues understanding why Lilimon and Garudamon were needed over their other evolution choices. The Funbeemon were also very cute, so I thought they were a great supporting character for this episode.

I have to say, I really don't like Jou this time around. Not that I liked him that much my first time watching the dub either. He's kind of like this perpetual grey cloud following the group with negativity. His voice actor isn't that likeable to me either, especially when he was screaming for help.
Sora and Yamato made for great partners though. I also really loved Gomamon escaping from his cell on his wave of marching fishes, who just poofed away after! I liked that touch.

As for the evolution to Garudamon, this line has not had my favorite evolution sequences. Garudamon is super cool but I do miss the character development that came from this evolution in the original. There's still a chunk of the series left to dig into so I'm hoping there's still room for some more character bits, so far everyone's coming off a little flat in terms of character Mimi is the only character thus far who is getting much of her home life brought up, surely her grandfather will be playing a bigger role in the future.

AguChamp

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was a neat episode, action was cool, CannonBeemon was absolutely awesome and incredible, I would die for Funbeemon, and I generally like how they're going with the ultimate evo scenes.

Joe and Gomamon are still super fun, and it's really nice to see the team work in coordination, even if it is the result of sacrificed personality.

Garudamon has always been a really cool Digimon, and the way she took out CannonBeemon was awesome. I also love the implication by Matt at the end of just how difficult the journey will probably be, especially following the complete destruction of that mountain.

That said, same old same old, Evolution doesn't feel half as earned, the fact that only Agu and Gabu get any semblance of an proper evolution sequence is getting more and more annoying

This show is treating more like Pokemon, the natural progression of time and experience, and not the payoff of emotional weight and realization. Even with the Champion evolution, there seems to be little to no cool down for any of the evolutions.

Nice episode, but to be a broken record, still feels weak compared to OG Adventure and Appmon evolutions, and Sora's overall lost personality hampers this one.

e105zeta

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This series feels kind of lifeless characterwise. It feels like they don’t think they have to develop anyone because you can just watch the old series and all of the effort went into fight scenes. It’s so far felt like an rpg where the player is skipping past all the dialogue and lore.

PCmon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This series feels kind of lifeless characterwise. It feels like they don’t think they have to develop anyone because you can just watch the old series and all of the effort went into fight scenes. It’s so far felt like an rpg where the player is skipping past all the dialogue and lore.
I agree. Adventure: excited me at first, but it feels like its all style and not much substance. Frankly, I think the characters are VERY boring compared to their original counterparts.

AguChamp

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I agree. Adventure: excited me at first, but it feels like its all style and not much substance. Frankly, I think the characters are VERY boring compared to their original counterparts.
A lot of the tension and turmoil the characters went through prior isn't present at all, mixed with the desire to rush past the stort beats.

It's making for an admittedly honest but nonetheless shallow experience so far. The show feels noticeably more upfront with it's toyetic, profit hungry nature than OG Adventure.

Leoil01

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sora reasoning behind birdramon evo was interesting to me we all know why there going on this adventure to save thier city but sora so far is the first one to say that shes fighting not just for thier world but the digital world too so for me that explains soras love

Gigamon23

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode definitely highlighted how bland the characters all seem. I still like the show, of course, but I couldn't help but remember how each character in the original run seemed to earn their new powers with character growth. It would be more understandable if this was a shorter-running series, but if I remember right, this is a 60-episode run. We should be getting a lot more character development to compliment the new evolutions. I did really enjoy seeing Funbeemon, though.

AppliFang

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Who knew marching fishes can break glass lol

Really loved it when Birdramon digivovlved...i felt the hype as it was flying/ ricocheting / digivolving xD

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode definitely highlighted how bland the characters all seem. I still like the show, of course, but I couldn't help but remember how each character in the original run seemed to earn their new powers with character growth. It would be more understandable if this was a shorter-running series, but if I remember right, this is a 60-episode run. We should be getting a lot more character development to compliment the new evolutions. I did really enjoy seeing Funbeemon, though.
I totally agree with you on this one. This feels a lot like Tri where digimon evolved without much effort and lack of character development on the children's part. I hope they will make children's characters justice when they need to evolve their digimon to Mega levels.

Also Garudamon goes super-saiyan and much better first fight than the original one though.

Quinlan58

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It was a functional episode for Sora. Basically repeated what had already been established by episode 11, except this time around she didn't need to go against the more experienced member of their group to defend her position. She looked seriously cool when riding Garudamon, though, and that last yell alongside her partner during their final attack was great.

Jou was terrible almost every single time he was on-screen. I'm half-convinced his voice actor wanted to sabotage this because he's far more grating than on any other episode. Yamato actually showed he had learned from episode 11 and, between how perceptive, quick-thinking and supportive he was during this episode, he probably stole the show as far as characterization goes. As far as partnership goes, Jou's and Gomamon's was far more spotlighted than Sora's and Piyomon's.

Episode relied on Jou and Yamato not saving themselves when they perfectly could have so Sora could get the spotlight. Like, the only reason Gomamon didn't just evolve to Ikkakumon when they were kidnapped was because then Sora and Yamato wouldn't have needed to save him, and for some terrible comedy I guess. The only reason WereGarurumon, arguably their fastest digimon who can one-shot adults, didn't defeat the four Waspmon that showed up to ambush them was because then Sora wouldn't have needed to save them. Even assuming he wouldn't have been able to do so fast enough, any of the other two could have evolved to solve the problem. WereGarurumon, as a Perfect-level, could have probably taken down CannonBeemon from the inside by himself, especially since it couldn't fight back.

So yeah, I have problems with the episode but it's functional. Better than Sora's previous focus episode but that's not saying much. Hopefully this "cares about the Digimon World too" trait means she'll be the one having the most interactions with Leomon and his army once they meet.

Oh, and I think the appearence of the moon in WereGarurumon's evo sequence means Mugendramon in MetalGreymon's is not hinting at anything, just that he's channeling the power of Cybernetics.

HawkG

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm gonna guess that Sora gets the rough end of the stick in these character establishment episodes because she's so genuinely nice and her trait is love. How do you show a character who is very caring care some more? You run into the problem with the original show's Perfect evolutions for characters like Jou, Mimi, and Takeru who's traits were shown off much better in earlier episodes. It also doesn't help that there isn't a lot of down time. Constantly pushing forward towards a goal make it hard to look inward if you are super competent. One of the ways I can see the writers working with this in the future is addressing that Sora bites off more than she can chew because she's two for two right now with plans that wouldn't have worked without the help of Perfect evolutions.

On to the episode for real, I like it well enough. This sets in that the miasma not only is a power up but also has mind control of it's own. I'm also a big fan of the Funbeemon line so it was great to see them this episode.

WereGarurumon's evolution sequence was really good but once again rubs salt in the wound that is the other digimon's sequences. Garudamon's was nice but the dearth is wide and I don't believe it will be closed anytime soon. What's great however is that the fight scenes all have the same amount of care put into them and this on is just as nice as the others. I'm a sucker for going inside robot's guts and blowing them up. It's fine that the head falls off, it's a robot. Yes it can feel but it's evil, don't worry about it.

Quinlan58

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You know what? Garudamon should have evolved in episode 11, when Sora had to defend her ideals from Yamato. WereGarurumon should have evolved in episode 8, when Yamato was deeply touched by the fact complete strangers were risking so much to help him and placing so much trust in him.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That we don't see the actual Royal Base is not a surprise, and honestly only for a single episode this early in the series, it would probably have been a waste. Cannonbeemon itself being a base was a neat idea, something of a variation/logical conclusion to the "aircraft carrier" Cannonbeemon we saw in Next.
But maybe there is still a chance that it could pop up later. It would generally be a nice touch if side Digimon from these more episodic parts rejoined the plot later on. Just like I assume that Andromon and Guardromon might return at some point, the rescued Funbeemon could be the kids' ticket into the actual Royal Base later on.

I don't really have much to say about Sora though. She wanted to help and then she did, good for her. But there was not really any challenge to overcome that wasn't purely physical.
Garudamon really didn't even get much time to shine. Past her actual transformation she wasn't animated particularly fluently and the main shot of her fight was a generic "energy push" shot, not something that ever really seemed that interesting to me.
WereGarurumon on the other hand got a decent action sequence. Not as fancy and dramatic as his debut in episode 11 but the fight itself was far more dynamic.

As for the overall plot of the episode, most situations and plans continue to feel rather contrived. They continue to over-explain things that should be obvious on their own while glossing over the points that actually mean the difference between life and death.
How did they suddenly know that the Waspmon would not attempt to kill them?
Joe was caught, but since he was in the same bubble as a couple of Funbeemon that could have happened accidentally. In fact the lack of any other Digimon besides Funbeemon within Cannonbeemon's prison makes it seem like they are indeed the only ones being hunted.
And yet they were very sure that the Waspmon would stop firing if they just surrendered. Even though Jou's attempt at surrender in Episode 8 was presented as be a laughable matter and clearly established that the evil Digimon would absolutely go for the kill if they can.And even if Joe's capture was not accidental (him being deposited in the trash seems to disprove that), Sora and Yamato put themselves in a wildly different situation by actually attacking the Waspmon, which Joe presumably didn't, so there was no guarantee of anything.
And how did they know that Cannonbeemon's containers are detachable?
And how did they know that the container wouldn't just burst into data the moment Cannonbeemon dies? (Cannonbeemon's main explosion was accompanied by the data particle effect, implying that it disintegrated, so there's definitely some weird mixed signals being sent here)
If they are establishing rules about how Digimon behave, or how data works, those rules should be presented to the viewer, especially if said rules are vital to the resolution of a conflict.
It simply does not feel fair to the audience when everything just arbitrarily falls into place, it eliminates any sort of anticipation.

Onto some other character stuff...
Joe basically continues to exist only to suffer. Always on the verge on throwing up, then falling off Birdramon then getting captured, thrown in a trash pile and unable to mount any sort of rescue/escape attempt with Gomamon
But what hits the hardest is just how surprised the other characters seemed when he did something useful at the very end, it's like they forgot that Ikkakumon is a thing even though he's clearly the best surface to air defense they currently got.
It would be an interesting twist if the show acknowledged how unfairly Joe is treated. Right now he's in a position where technically all the humiliation and frustration could boil over culminating in a dark evolution for Gomamon or something... but that's not something the show would allow because somehow everything that happens to Joe is supposed to be harmless and funny.

Taichi wanting to hit Koushiro's Laptop/Tablet is a nice reference to the original but it felt a bit too silly for this iteration of Taichi. At least until the end when he clarifies that it was a joke, and it does seem more fitting that what the original Taichi tried to do in earnest would be something that occurs to the new iteration as a joke. It's still a little bit questionable because the new Taichi never really had this strange wacky sense of humor before.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wow... I was shocked to see how gigantic this CannonBeemon is! The biggest Perfect level one. I didn't see it coming as the "Royal Base" turned out as CannonBeemon's inner body like in Star Wars, you see the insides of the huge space battleship! It got deploying barriers before launching Bee missiles or entering/exiting and even... The Core system inside its railgun stinger or the middle body...? Oh yes it even got prisoner jails in Star Wars-like designs! Gundam Bee digimon with Star Wars design inside its whole body is 100x times amazing!

That Nitro Stinger animation was so scary! But saddened to see "Sky Rocket" only used one pod of missiles instead of raging waves.... And easily fragile.

I seriously thought Sora and the group went like oh no I gotta save them! Then proceeded to destroy the most infected forces and CannonBeemon leaves the remaining FunBeemons to rebuild up their one of colony from starting all over again and Sora's group bye'd.
But that doesn't seem to be that case....?

Oh WereGarurumon evolution had the moon and howling so it proved Mugendramon being there was just mere lore references. No meaningful but it's pretty fun to put it like that.

Yo... Gomamon broke out of the jail but no mention of other FunBeemons who were with Gomamon?! Hello?!

CannonBeemon is armored fortress yet fragile when it comes to destroying within its body WTF?? But heeeey the head fell out. Now that's pretty digital gore even in this children's tv. Damn

I let this slide because I had it hardest time to accept CannonBeemon got nerfed really hard for clashing against Garudamon's attack, Nitro Stinger said to pierce the armor even made the huge hole in the mountain yet got overpowered that easily... Lasers always come out the strongest over fire. Sigh that logic.... But good for all girls to not to get weak... Hopefully!

The animation hurts damn... Waspmon forces with Stormtrooper aims TT TT easily not even hitting WereGarurumon and the group who were standing there still!! And other scenes too!

Rohan

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Pretty good episode. Fun to see the Funbeemon line, especially the gigantic Canonbeemon. Cyber Sleuth definitely didn't show it to scale. :ROFLMAO:

I see what they were going for by changing up Sora's "Love" from that of a mother to a more messianic love for everyone regardless of human or digimon, but it could definitely do with expanding on it more. Considering they tied it also back to the Neemon episode, i'm hoping they can develop Sora's beyond just her own focus episodes.

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Generally I liked the episode, but there are some things I didn't like. For example how they destroyed CannonBeemon. Since it wan a gigantic "aircraft carrier", it should be forced to crash to Earth instead. Not just lose a head...

I also didn't like how damaging the mountain was not acknowledged by Taichi's group. Such an attack should be felt by everybody miles away from it. Yet, nobody, neither other kids nor wild Digimon, noticed that half a mountain was destroyed. Maybe such a thing happends every now and then?

Anybody else noticed how every now and then some waves appear on the sky? Not just in this episode, but in the previous ones too. I wonder if this has any meaning (they're in a Digital World which is a stable place, so such waves should not exist there), or is purely just for the show.

As for the "old series vs new series" I think I prefer this one over the old one. Old one had a character development, but barely any actual action. This one is purely an action, but at the cost of a character development. Something for something.

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think it is because Adventure 2020 will have 60 episodes that they wouldn't show so much about the characters in Episode 13.

I'm not saying they are necessarily going to delve a lot into their background in the future (although we will surely see more about Yamato's past), but they probably wouldn't show as much in episode 13 of 60 episodes.

I totally agree with you on this one. This feels a lot like Tri where digimon evolved without much effort and lack of character development on the children's part. I hope they will make children's characters justice when they need to evolve their digimon to Mega levels.

Also Garudamon goes super-saiyan and much better first fight than the original one though.
Tri has a lot of focus on characters's conflicts before an evolution happened. You may don't like how they handle the evolution, but there was a lot of focus in the human characters (and they overcoming internal conflicts).

Last edited:

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This wasn't one of the better episodes IMO. But I did like that CannonBeemon was the case! The only way I find can link the evo is Sora being caring. Otherwise, i'm a bit stuck on that one.

The moon for WereGarurumon, well that sort of blows my last weeks theory with Mugen/MetalGreymon.

I am not liking Joe as he currently is. I hope he developes better.

Karate Kid Taichi amused me a little but I don't feel I had much to say about this episode.

As I've mentioned in a few places today. Maybe people would like the series better if they didn't keep comparing it to the orignal.