Digimon Adventure: Episode 10- The Steel-Solid Super Evolution

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 10, The Steel-Solid Super Evolution

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 9.

Episode 10 airs Sunday, August 9th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, August 8th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, August 8th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, August 9th, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So this episode starts with exposition, a bit of mild conflict (although interestingly built off difference of opinion and character rather than just 'characters need to fight'), and ends with more exposition and battle.

The exposition overall sets up the next few episodes where everyone splits up, and where the show will go for a bit.

The character stuff here was good, from Koushiro detailing elements, to Mimi throwing Jou's book, to Taichi and Agumon being agreed on how to handle things.

The miasmi corrupting things around it, having tendrils reach out, and dissolving the book worked to setup how dangerous it was, but having the tendrils worked extra I think.

The super evolution to MetalGreymon being based, seemingly, on both of them having similar feelings and resonating on those was a nice touch.

MetalTyranomon continued to feel like a force of nature, and him slapping down Greymon had solid energy behind it.

MetalGreymon evolving felt... earned. Which is weird to say so early in the series. Agumon and Taichi doing everything they could to distract, and stop, MetalTyranomon so the others could go the other way made the scene work well, moreso how they weren't willing to stop, because what else were they going to do? (Moreso when you take into account their feelings about Ogremon.)

X-treme Fight, the new insert song, felt like it was almost tailor arranged for that scene, which at times made it amazing, and at times a bit flat (especially once the action began to get going.) Similar bits happened when Agumon had his first 'standard' evolution footage with the other song, so I'm curious how this one ends up going in the end.

The evolution sequence itself 'this time' being similar to the first time we saw Greymon, but a bit quicker and smoother and focusing on the 'MetalGreymon' bits had a nice look to it, and I'm curious to see what the standard scene will be (as unlike last time, it feels like this could be reused to a large degree.)

Nice episode, but with lots of evolutions coming shortly, it'll be interesting to see if it can keep up the energy and interest.

HawkG

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Dinosaurs flipping each other, Super evolution and a new insert song. This series might have the best fight scenes out of any that came before it and Appmon ended at a pretty high bar.

But onto the episode in detail, it was really full of a little bit of everything. Planing, information, team tension and action. Taich and Yamato are starting to but heads a bit but are still willing to listen to each other, yet it doesn't make the rest of the group feel comfortable. The team dynamic was set up pretty well for it to be split up by the end but more tension can be put with other characters that way and we are still very early on in the show.

I didn't think the black breath would be plot important with the miasma but it powers up the digimon with dark energy. I thought it went along with the mind control but it's more than that and might not even be completely connected.

I felt that MetalGreymon was earned in this fight. In the original series most super evolution were because a character had some internal issue they needed to solve with few involving their digimon in some way. I think Sora and Koushiro were the only ones where their digimon were involved with getting to perfect. So it was nice that this evolution happened because Taichi and Agumon were in sync about everything. From protecting their friends to also fighting for Ogremon.

So once again a very great episode but this pace is still killing me. It's not dampening anything but the time limit going on in the backgrounds just feels off. Also, I'm surprised that Takeru is the biggest mystery in this series so far. No matter what special power Hikari might have we at least know what she's doing and where she is. That boy had two scenes and everything is left up in the air, somewhere in Tokyo.

Dynamicmon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So can they not fly over the miasma or did the Gesomon thing make them too paranoid?

Guilmon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I said in a previous post that I would stop complaining about the fights in this show, but it's kinda hard to do when an entire episode revolves around one.

I guess I just don't understand what the heck the kids' plan was. They all witnessed how MetalTyrannomon wiped the floor with Greymon and Ogremon in the previous episode, and yet they decided to let Taichi and Greymon fight him alone? Why? Isn't it obvious that the best strategy would be to either escape or gang up on him, and that fighting him one-on-one would be a suicide mission? I know Taichi wouldn't mind sacrificing himself for his friends, but was everyone else just okay with it?

I guess the answer is that the writers wanted the group to split halfway through the episode, but why? Not only did Yamato and co. fail to make any progress due to the lake, but Taichi, Greymon and MetalTyrannomon all ended up in the same spot as them by the end of the episode. So really, what was the point?

And speaking about the lake, did the kids forget they have two digimon who can fly? Perhaps the miasma goes all the way up to the sky? If that's the case, they should address it. The way this show creates conflict feels really artificial and makes the characters look dumb.

Anyway, Mimi throwing Joe's book away was funny. And I thought Metalgreymon looked cool, which surprised me considering I never liked his design.

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
wow looks like this Metalgreymon is a lot OP comparing with the original Adventure one...and they showed off the metal arm which was freaking awesome and apparently this Metalgreymon can shoot beam energy now...this kind of longer digimon fights are definitely worth the wait:):)

Redstar45

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So this episode starts with exposition, a bit of mild conflict (although interestingly built off difference of opinion and character rather than just 'characters need to fight'), and ends with more exposition and battle.

The exposition overall sets up the next few episodes where everyone splits up, and where the show will go for a bit.

The character stuff here was good, from Koushiro detailing elements, to Mimi throwing Jou's book, to Taichi and Agumon being agreed on how to handle things.

The miasmi corrupting things around it, having tendrils reach out, and dissolving the book worked to setup how dangerous it was, but having the tendrils worked extra I think.

The super evolution to MetalGreymon being based, seemingly, on both of them having similar feelings and resonating on those was a nice touch.

MetalTyranomon continued to feel like a force of nature, and him slapping down Greymon had solid energy behind it.

MetalGreymon evolving felt... earned. Which is weird to say so early in the series. Agumon and Taichi doing everything they could to distract, and stop, MetalTyranomon so the others could go the other way made the scene work well, moreso how they weren't willing to stop, because what else were they going to do? (Moreso when you take into account their feelings about Ogremon.)

X-treme Fight, the new insert song, felt like it was almost tailor arranged for that scene, which at times made it amazing, and at times a bit flat (especially once the action began to get going.) Similar bits happened when Agumon had his first 'standard' evolution footage with the other song, so I'm curious how this one ends up going in the end.

The evolution sequence itself 'this time' being similar to the first time we saw Greymon, but a bit quicker and smoother and focusing on the 'MetalGreymon' bits had a nice look to it, and I'm curious to see what the standard scene will be (as unlike last time, it feels like this could be reused to a large degree.)

Nice episode, but with lots of evolutions coming shortly, it'll be interesting to see if it can keep up the energy and interest.
Yup as this episode is my favorite of Adventure: and this also is my favorite take on perfect form of MetalGreymon !

Last edited:

Demetrius95

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Too much battle for my taste but at least greymon sure earned that damn evolution! This episode should be called the fight that just won't end! I liked metalgreymon's design, but what the hell were they doing letting taichi fight alone?! It does not make any sense at all, for the second time in a row. This episode pushed me to the point of not wanting to see more of this series, cause that's some serious bulls**t logic just to have the main character have his moment. HE'S BEEN HAVING HIS MOMENT FOR 10 EPISODES

Chimera-gui

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Does anyone else think MetalGreymon seemed a bit creepy? Like how it was shown immediately following Digivolution coupled with the robotic voice, all it needed was blue skin and yellow eyes and it'd be exactly how I imagine the original Virus MetalGreymon.

Redstar45

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Too much battle for my taste but at least greymon sure earned that damn evolution! This episode should be called the fight that just won't end! I liked metalgreymon's design, but what the hell were they doing letting taichi fight alone?! It does not make any sense at all, for the second time in a row. This episode pushed me to the point of not wanting to see more of this series, cause that's some serious bulls**t logic just to have the main character have his moment. HE'S BEEN HAVING HIS MOMENT FOR 10 EPISODES
Then don't watch it anymore ?

taz111

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Loved every minute of it!

To all those who are complaining about Tai fighting alone. He and Agumon have something to prove. They highlighted that from the beginning of the episode. Tai also wanted to protect his friends regardless of the outcome and giving his team a head start to find the holy Digimon in hopes to catch up to them later. Yes, Metal Tyrannomon was a level above, but Tai and Agumon were determine and courageous to face it and holding it off. Another thing as well, Tai is the main, main character of the series - even in 1999 series. Why would they not focus on him in this series? The others will have their time to shine as well. This series has highlighted each one of the kids and continues to add new things to their growing arcs.

Regarding the water, the reason they are not flying over the body of water is because of the risk of falling in. How long would the journey above that water be? they don't know and can't take that risk. I highly doubt Birdramon and Kabutrimon can fly non stop for days. They are not in the network space where they can float. Also, what if a dark Digimon attacks them from below and they fall in? They will die. The water doesn't affect the evil Digimon - They stated that. So it's a smart move for them to move around it.

I'm starting to feel most of you watch it to just complain and find small things to latch on to, to spread hate on the series because you got a reboot instead of a brand new series with new characters. If you don't like it - don't watch it - simple - period.

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
An intersting episode that set up the Perfect Evolution well enough. They had something to prove and by heck did they prove it. Was that the first time Trident Arm has been named in the Digimon anime?
Agumon having wanting to finish his match with Ogremon was nice and I felt it built towards what happened. The evolution itself felt too fast animation wise. But hey it was similar fast to the other kids with their Adult evolutions.

The Miasmi is dangerous and the set up to prove it was done well and the split has to happen.

X-treme fight, not that fussed about this song yet at all. It didn't have the punch that I like with Digimon songs.

ryuujinkurodou

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Pros :
  1. Ok, it's happy to see the clash battle between Greymon and MetalTyranomon. I was surprised by the size of Greymon compared to MetalTyrannomon, it was a huge gap of size between those Digimon. The battle was 'good', we all can see Greymon fighting in various angle (big applause).
  2. MetalGreymon was sick!! Good job, I thought it was too difficult to animate his movement, but I kinda like their approach. There is no useless movement, all MetalGreymon movement are well animated. I genuinely like, when MetalGreymon is trying to bite MetalTyrannomon then ended with a tail whipped attack from MetalGreymon.
  3. Good to see 'Trident-arm' attack from MetalGreymon, also I was surprised they 'introduce' new attack 'Giga Storm' in this episode. Basically, Giga Strom is similar to Giga Destroyer, but with blast effect as the addition
Cons:
  1. Greymon smile scene, for me it's kinda weird to look his smile with those teeth which similar to human-being
  2. Some part of the animation transition doesn't feel seamless. I would say it's weird. Remember when Taichi will get attacked by MetalTyrannomon missiles while he in recessive position? I think that is a climax scene to introduce MetalGreymon, but I was wrong.
  3. Ok, this is minor actually. While MetalTyrannomon whipped his tail in the jungle, after while it makes a red-circular effect animation scene. I don't what the purpose is, but it's kind unnecessary.

Amandil7

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A well balanced episode with a good mix of character moments to offset the fighting scenes.

I liked the planning bits, Izzy being brilliant as ever, the character moments with Joe & Mimi are always a delight!

The dark Miasma was menacing, because like the fortress, it suggests the villains this time are more strategic & methodical.

Interesting that although they acknowledged Ogremon being gone, they didn't show his death outright, it wasn't very black & white so *fingers crossed for his survival*.

MetalTyrannomon was an utter beast of annihilation but Greymon charged in heroically and put up a phenomenal fight culminating in MetalGreymon who was awesome to behold. I like that he used his Trident arm, all the Mega Flames etc. get monotonous and the Digimon should use different attacks (like Togemon did too). Same goes for the different song, it's refreshing.

All in all a super steel-solid episode. Anxious to see how they maintain the energy debuting one Ultimate after another the next couple of episodes.

Demetrius95

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't wanna spread hate, nor do I want to complain, I just love the other characters more and I want them to shine. At the very least, I don't want them to stand around like idiots while the protagonist™ fights alone for no reason at all.

CrimsonMarvel

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't know how I feel about the evolution, it doesn't feel that earned imho. Feels like there wasn't a lot of time between the previous evolution arc and the next one, I hope they're just trying to speedrun the evolution to get to newer content (still wish they would've come up with new Perfect and Ultimate forms, oh well). I wonder if they could maybe have Devimon evolve into Myotismon, maybe after him searching for more power or something idk just a random thought.

I don't wanna spread hate, nor do I want to complain, I just love the other characters more and I want them to shine. At the very least, I don't want them to stand around like idiots while the protagonist™ fights alone for no reason at all.
Don't think you're spreading any hate, you have an opinion about a show and characters you love. Giving opinions is mostly what this thread is for anyway.

Prodigious

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hey guys,
I’m new to posting. UK based digidestined here! I grew up on the original series and have been hooked ever since!

I LOVE the reboot. It’s the best thing to happen to Digimon since season 4! I feel like the seasons after 4 deviated too far from what made Digimon, Digimon!
This season recaptures the sense of adventure, fantasy and risk with a cast that has natural chemistry!

here’s my cons for the series so far:

its toooo early for ultimates. Especially given the fact that we’ve only seen certain champions TWICE. As an OG fan, I already know the evolution line, but with new fans in mind, they were literally introduced to champions that are now deemed too weak before the show had a chance to show them off.
it’s been 2 episodes since we’ve seen togemon and Ikkakumon etc.
we’ve seen garyrumon in action twice and he’s going ultimate next episode?

secondly, I don’t feel like MetalGreymon was earned. Maybe I’m comparing to the original too much with my hindsight/knowledge of the crests but whilst Taichi was being courageous, it wasn’t to the level that deserved a new evolution. Him getting over the fear of death in the original anime was better character development as that is when he matured and considered death an option that he triumphed against.

I would’ve liked to see the champions attack metaltyrannomon altogether!

we need justice for Ogremon. Again, they rushed his introduction, he was dead before we got to understand him!

the soundbirdmon have not controlled a Digimon since episode 4/5. Are we meant to remember that they can do that? The kids found that out but have not seen a second example of it since..

as much as I’m enjoying this show. There’s pacing issues. Im keeping up because I already have an understanding of the show but I’m fearful for younger audiences.

MIMI & JOE are stealing the show. I love how the Digimon interact with the group and not just ad-lib their partners (Data squad). There’s an emphasis on team building again which is ultimately what this shows about

MY PREDICTION: it came to me in a dream, Devimon will digivolve to myotismon to match the new level of the digidestined

im hopeful that the others will flourish away from Taichi and return with battle experience during the main fight with Devimon. It’s still early in the season believe it or not (ultimate Digimon make that hard to believe) the others need to develop. So far, sora is the only secondary protagonist that is up for a fight without being pressured into it. I’m excited for joe and Mimi to find their fight

Atbara

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Character exposition is great. I kinda like this Mimi more than the original Mimi, she looks more like the Grown up version of 02 but more childish and playful.

If we compare Metalgreymon's debut with his debut in the original series we would see that it took place in a more advanced position of the series after having lot of conflict going on with taichi, so I think I prefer the original story for this aspect. However, I think that pushing Perfect Evolution so early is due to that almost everyone knows the true evolution form of every digimon so it won't be worthy wasting time on lower level evolutions (lower than ultimate(not to be confused with the adaptation)), maybe they want to focus on that part of the story following ultimate evolution. The franchise isn't what it was 20 years ago. Now you can just look up any digimon (I'm speaking from a third world perspective so correct me if I am wrong about the rest of the world), I guess that's why they cancelled the digidex.

The evolution scene was FINE, I wasn't expecting something big, but it was okay. I wonder if we are going to get evolution scenes for the rest of the bunch thou, it doesn't seem that they are thinking of making them.

The Fight was cool, I liked how Metaltyranmmon was frustrated after Greymon super evolved. He kinda knew that the Greymon species is superior to the Tyranommon species. Metalgreymon is overpowered which is expected as this is an obvious trend in this series (well, what is the reason of having a tamer if you don't get stronger as a result?). I guess Digimon+tamer>Digimon, right?

The only take on this episode is that it's being illogical with allowing Taichi to fight on his own, this is something I always complained about with that other anime franchise that was always irrational and inconsistent.
Good episode overall, looking forward to the next episodes.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
When MetalGreymon finished evolving from Greymon, it was so menacing and creepy because of the glowing eyes and everything! As MetalGreymon arrived, you can feel the animation style suddenly changed to edgier even MetalTyranomon got so serious look! And we finally witnessed the death of MetalTyranomon, that data deleting in process without a doubt...

Giga Storm...? Not Giga Destroyer?! Wut..? Wha... What? And what about the wire laser attack from MetalTyranomon?

Mimi was savage for throwing Jou's book to that evil swamp. That evil mist is so strong enough to dissolve and now it is kinda evil water? Wut? What kind of that science is?!

I hope the next episode will explain about this more because flying over it is very smart thing to do but oddly splitting teams to move forward...

MetalTyranomon running animation was freaking scary to look at.

Rohan

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Damn, that battle was so hype. Taichi and Greymon were really going at it even after taking so many hits. MetalGreymon's entrance really emphasised the monster aspect with the glowing eye and noises he made. The group splitting up definitely gives them time to get some individual spotlight and a reason why the other Perfects in the group can't just solve the problem immediately.

I get people being saddened by the lack of SkullGreymon, but it's still possible we could see that later on.

Side note, Mimi continues to be best girl by using Joe's textbook as a sacrifice. I'm surprised that they've had so many interactions so far, I would've thought the writers would immediately jump on the Izzy/Mimi train.