Digimon Adventure: Episode 1- Tokyo: Digital Crisis!

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 1, Tokyo: Digital Crisis!

Episode 1 airs Sunday, April 5th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, April 4th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, April 4th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, April 5th, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The episode link for Crunchyroll is here.
The episode link for VRV is here.

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode airs. You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Crunchyroll series page is here.

Last edited by a moderator:

klause

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My god, the episode's pace was quite fast. Not much build-up to the climax and Koshiro seems like he knew everything right away. No explanation how he didn't get to go into the digital datascape like Taichi upon obtaining the Digivice.

Anyway, the opening is great, but the ending is just okay, they might grow in me soon. The soundtracks are perfect and great, though I know we miss 'brave heart' on the Digivolution scene.

Golden_Fate

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
OMG! So good! I loved it! Taichi and Koshiro's voices are amazing (Koshiro is SO cute!) and I loved seeing all the call backs to the original opening in the new one! Lots of War Game influence off the bat too which is interesting. So far the vibe is giving me Adventures meets Tamers, which I'm so into!

kkanbara

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
!!!!!!! that was excellent -- great stuff. Got some strong masaru vibes when he was swinging the small kuramon-like Digimon at each other.

Wonder what Yamato's plan's gonna be damn -- looks like, from the ED, that he's gonna be extra loner-y. Exciiiiited!!

And YES the soundtrack is SO good! So much instrumentation behind it. Really glad they went with a real-sounding horn section and stuff

Krverde

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It was cool to see all the Algomon forms from Baby 2 to Adult shown, that only leaves the Baby 1 form left unseen. I'm definitely looking forward to the introductions of the other characters and hopefully more characters beyond Taichi can get some spotlights too

drtomoe123

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just finished the episode and I liked it. Very curious to see where they go from here but I appreciated a lot of the little details.

Ryudamon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I can not wait to see the next episode. I am glad they give us a preview of it and I want to see Garurumon fight. I do like the new animation and with Argomon evolving, now we know its child and adult forms.

YongYoKyo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It was cool to see all the Algomon forms from Baby 2 to Adult shown, that only leaves the Baby 1 form left unseen. I'm definitely looking forward to the introductions of the other characters and hopefully more characters beyond Taichi can get some spotlights too
There probably isn't a Baby 1 form. We see the egg directly hatching into the Baby 2 form. A lot of lines only have a Baby 2 form anyways, like Gaomon's Wanyamon and Lalamon's Budmon.

Jmac28211

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The soundtrack is awesome, I love the opening, and I love the ending (Matt might be even more depressing this time).

the action was fun, the evolution sequence was awesome. Tai and Izzy both feel like familiar, but very fresh, versions of themselves. Also, Izzy is adorable! The Digimon fandom has wanted more plant Digimon for a decade, so I guess Venus-flytrap-Argomon champion is pretty good.

Familiar plots can work as a good hook, I just hope we don’t get tons of them as the series goes on. This felt very “Runaway Locomon” to me, and the next one is literally “Our War Game” with Argomon.

Negatives: I’m not in love with the setting yet, but it’s definitely less fantasy than the original’s was. It feels like the Net Ocean and Cyber Kowloon from Appmon (definitely not a negative, I loved that setting), but I’ll miss File Island.

Overall, it’s not my favorite first episode, but that’s probably because I had an idea of what it could be from the original. I appreciated that it didn’t echo that one too much though. I wonder if they’ll still go to camp? Maybe that’s when they all (minus Kari and—potentially—TK) meet up for the first time.

MagnaAngemonn

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I thought that was an excellent first episode. Had some nostalgia beats but felt original overall.

OP and ED were great and I really love their take on the crests. It's inside them the whole time this time.

I loved that moment when Tai met Koromon where all the children had a sense of awakening in them.

DedicatedGazi

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Anyone else notice the Wiseman logging screen on Izzy's labtop? Wiseman = the new Genai?

Jmac28211

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I feel like they'll all get "codenames" related to their crests. "Wiseman" Koushiro, for example. Also, I love that the crests are present right at the beginning.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
OP, great.
ED, great.

Some neat references and things to see in both (the spinning in digital space from the original Adventure OP worked really well here.) Seeing MetalGreymon, WarGreymon, and Omegamon in the OP was fun. I admit I would have figured holding back 'some' of them.

The episode itself was insanely good. Maybe the best premiere we've had for the series.

Lots of neat touches. Like getting to see Koushiro introduce himself to Taichi was great, and having the crests begin to show up from moment one, and integrated with the actions of characters in a more direct way was a bit surprising.

I also quite liked how they talk about how the network 'was' and it looked sort of Hosoda-ish before fading into the 'new' style network.

Agumon actively still battling 'as' he was evolving into Greymon was a fantastic moment. (Plus Taichi swinging around an Algomon.)

Having most of the other kids cameo and focusing mostly on Taichi and Agumon (with Koushiro) let the episode feel very focused, and even 'dense' with stuff to see without feeling bloated.

Doing the plot of movie 2 in episode 2 of Adventure:, and even 'calling it' War Game is... ambitious.

The BGM music was very good, and had a very old school feel to it that worked well. I do hope we get some good insert songs though.

Will need to watch it again to fully think about it.

Episode 1 definitely sets the series up very well.

Digitalguy

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The opening is good but might be too Taichi focused and the same with the ending with Yamato. Nice opener it was a little fast-paced but the story was simple enough. This version of Taichi and Koushiro seem likable so far and Kou's voice is too cute. Speaking of voices am I crazy or did Greymon have a different voice actor?

DedicatedGazi

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Anyone else notice the Wiseman logging screen on Izzy's labtop? Wiseman = the new Genai?
I noticed that his tablet displayed 'Tachikawa' when it booted up!
Sorry, more specifically,I meant just before his Digivice emerges, it flashes "Wiseman, supported by Digivice". I interpreted it as a remote log in by someone to update it and "make it awesome" as he says

Golden_Fate

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sorry, more specifically,I meant just before his Digivice emerges, it flashes "Wiseman, supported by Digivice". I interpreted it as a remote log in by someone to update it and "make it awesome" as he says
No worries, I wasn't correcting you. I was mentioning it in addition to, another neat reference hiding in Koshiro's computer screen.

HawkG

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm glad we finally have animation that is as action packed as Appmon again. The world is bright and the movement is kinetic. Lots of nods to old stuff (maybe a bit to much for my liking) and a lot of foreshadowing. "Tachikawa computers" "Wiseman/ Wisdom Stone" look at all this new stuff.

taz111

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I LOVED IT! So fresh!

The opening and ending were great. The Animation was consistent and action was great. I hope they are moving away from cycled animation attacks. THE SOUND TRACK WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW! WOW! I'm so hyped for whats to come.

I'm not a fan of the net environment. I do hope we get to actually see the digital world. They got me locked in!!!!! I'm ready for the next episode!

Krverde

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There probably isn't a Baby 1 form. We see the egg directly hatching into the Baby 2 form. A lot of lines only have a Baby 2 form anyways, like Gaomon's Wanyamon and Lalamon's Budmon.
To be fair, the only reason I assume there is a Baby 1 form left to see is because a description provided for Algomon (Baby 2) says that it's the form a newborn Algomon grows into