Digimon Adventure: (2020) Final Thoughts

BeelzemonXX

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
With Digimon Adventure: (2020) having concluded recently and Ghost Game starting next week, I thought it would be fun to create a thread for us all to discuss the show as whole and our general thoughts of how it turned out before the next Digimon series start.

When it comes to Digimon Adventure: (2020), I can’t help but feel a little disappointed as a whole after watching the show. I was a big fan of the original Digimon Adventure back in the day so the reboot was always going to have tough time living up to the original in my eyes. I didn’t go into the show expecting it to fail however. Whenever a new Digimon series comes out, I try to have an open mind and I did that as I started watching Adventure 2020 as well. The show however disappointed me time after time again for having so many elements done poorly that previous Digimon series/seasons did better.

The lack of character development for the main kids, having mostly silent antagonists, a terrible pacing, and more really turned me off from this show. Adventure 2020 really is near the bottom of my Digimon anime list.

With all that said however, I would be lying if I said hated the entire show because the show actually has a couple of things that redeem it slightly in my eyes.
  • While the main kids and their Digimon (especially Taichi) were underdeveloped, they all had moments and episodes where I enjoyed them to a degree and forgot for a second that they mostly were pale imitations of the original Adventure Kids. The two standout kids that I unquestionably actually very much enjoyed were Joe and Mimi whose antics I really came to appreciate. Especially Mimi who is by far the most likeable of the Adventure 2020 kids and had some of the better character focused episodes. I also very much enjoyed Patamon and Tailmons role in the reboot with a lot of the episodes where they had a lot of focus turned out to some of my favorites of the series as well like “"The Sword of Hope"
  • Speaking of episodes, a lot of them were meh/ok with a couple of stinkers. That does not mean that there weren’t any entertaining ones as there were quite a few I enjoyed. What Adventure 2020 really lacks in character growth, it tries to make up for it with entertaining set pieces and decent fight scenes. While it does not always work, it can create some really fun episodes like "Clash, the King of Digimon". Speaking of fight scenes……
  • Adventure 2020 without the question of a doubt has some of the best animated fights in the franchise. Omegamon VS Abbadomon, Mugendramon VS DoneDevimon, WarGreymon VS Crossmon, Omegamon VS Algomon, and final fight VS Millenniumon were all really well animated. Off course having such good fight scenes as this does mean there also several episodes where the animations really feel lacking in certain areas. Does not make the fight mentioned above any less amazing.
  • Millenniumon might have a really good fight but was kind of a really terrible villain. That’s especially disappointment because of his reputation in Digimon lore. That he did not speak was also a huge turnoff which is unfortunately true for most of the villains of Adventure 2020. There were a couple of ones I did enjoy however like Ogremon, Devimon, and Negamon because not only did they actually felt like they had personality and were somewhat interesting but they also actually spoke as well.
  • For all its flaws, the one thing most people can agree on is that Adventure 2020 had some really good songs that are a welcome addition to the Digimon franchise.
Its because of all these good things that I can’t help but feel disappointed since the show definitely had the potential to be more than what it turned out to be. I don’t think the show is terrible as I have seen worse but that does not mean its good either. I can see however how there are people that really enjoy this latest iteration of Digimon. Every Digimon series in my opinion does excel in a few areas that make it stand out and resonate with certain groups of people and Digimon Adventure: (2020) is no exception to this.

Wait a second………………………………………………..…….Leomon survived!!!!!!!! I take back everything negative I said. This show is definitely a 10/10

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Leomon was a surprise. He didn't seem to fight as much so maybe that's why. But it was an ok season. Could have used a lot of tightening up maybe plus Tai seemed more important then everyone, even Matt. But other wise it was OK. Liked seeing some new Mon and Mon from other seasons. I am 100% joking on this but since maybe just one other person on here would agree but... Maybe add in another person. Yes. Not Ken or Ryo of course. Meiko is who I mean but again, joking but maybe serious?

Still, one of the better seasons. Possibly because of the Thing, it might get graded on a curve or have an * with it for quality but it's not like some seasons didn't have problems. These are this season's.

Digiforlife

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm pretty sure Adventure 2020's scripts would have been a lot better if wasn't for the pandemic..but efforts they put in this show is obvious to everyone so hats off to them:)
while I enjoy seeing different digimon/evolution chains with generally awesome animation I do think 67 episodes are bit too much...the season can easily be shortened to around 30ish episodes (too many filler episodes for my liking tbh)

Ricardolindo

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm pretty sure Adventure 2020's scripts would have been a lot better if wasn't for the pandemic..but efforts they put in this show is obvious to everyone so hats off to them:)
while I enjoy seeing different digimon/evolution chains with generally awesome animation I do think 67 episodes are bit too much...the season can easily be shortened to around 30ish episodes (too many filler episodes for my liking tbh)

I wouln't say 30ish but I do think the series may have been too long.

Last edited:

Sparrow Hawk

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My honest impressions and opinions for reviews on those.

Animation: According to twitters after the final episode of Adventure 2020 it had struggles due to COVID, I can understand it but it sadly left me bittersweet despair. I honestly hated the screen shaking so much in Adventure 2020 along with Stormtrooper aim laser spam and I'mfiringlazar beams. No creativity in those besides DoneDevimon/Abaddomon/Millenniummon fights. I prefer Adventure 01's because every digimon have their personal attacking animations had good animation movements. I read about DoneDevimon's concept art which it said they demanded to have very simpler design that resulted Venom/Spawn inspiration made me wondered if it weren't for COVID, DoneDevimon's appearance will be different and it could affect the episode to express more. You know, after finished watching Tri, I felt I had relief sigh. Know why? I had endured it watching at terrible animation... Now this Adventure 2020 gave me same vibes. When you watch episodes, you kinda can judge at quick glance upon the animation of Adventure 2020 episodes aired, you can tell at instantly it's that "animator" so you developed some kind of unconsciousness to turn off your brain to watch all the way like yeah here I go that animator. I better get to look more bored on my face. Just like that... I think it could be the same animator who animated Tri but I'm not sure. Thankfully and shockingly no CGI in Adventure 2020? You know all seasons I watched tend to have CGI.. Well that is one good thing I guess... Of course I'm mad at Omegamon suffered terrible animation, I want Omegamon to shower in every amazing high quality animation given...

Villains: I view the villains of Adventure 2020 as simply part of Great Catastrophe event as Rush Hour delivery. Memorable? Traumatized? Respects? Sadly I find Adventure 01 villains are more far impressive due to Devimon's eerie controlling situation, goofy comedic Etemon yet serious opponent at battle, manipulating Vamdemon and unforgettable Dark Masters who left me really huge impressions: MetalSeadramon's epic entrance and ruling the whole territory to pursuit the Chosen ones, Pinocchimon psycho destructive kid with the gun and easily manipulates any Ultimate levels with his puppet strings, Mugendramon's absolute destructive control and its machine army, Piemon's scary tricks with magic Keychain magic oh yes Apocalymon's arrival! I can say so many things about them but I only have good impressions on Millenniummon, DoneDevimon and Abaddomon. Millenniumon fight had Kratos Vs Cronos animation! Zooming out menacingly as ZeedMillenniummon evolved left me in sheer awe! Coronos Breath scarred the digital world really HUGE! Did you look at how huge size of destruction it breathed?! Abaddomon is only one I'm actually grateful for to give all chosen kids with Ultimate levels to fight! Surprisingly it's like Abaddomon is eerie copy of Omegamon rather than full ending-world destructive villain with massive country destroyer attacks instead. That is something pretty rare although that Core have for that purpse.

Evolutions: I'm torn apart to be honest. Agumon/Greymon/MetalGreymon/WarGreymon and Gabumon to MetalGarurumon are still the best ones ever in this 2020! At same time huge disappointment. Piyomon and 5 others suffered for not having any of it although for some reason Palmon got special treatments over Sora.... You know, was it really necessary to extend the animation after MetalGreymon/WereGarurumon/WarGreymon/MetalGarurumon finished posing but instead had them running at you in the whole screen? What's up with that? Huge surprise for Omegamon to get evolution transformation but it felt same vibes as Susanoomon's... Cyber Sleuth is the best for that. IMO.
So final thoughts? Still torn apart. It's like I am having schrodinger's cat thoughts on it. If it weren't for COVID, maybe 6 ones might get that chance? I always believed all other 6 ones getting Evolution clips will be given equal treatments. Ponochomon, HolyAngemon Priest Mode and BlitzGreymon/CresGarurumon/Alter S... Loved it! Final thoughts? Adventure 2020 shockingly. Just because surprise quests I mentioned before and enemies evolved too! How cool is that! Also having both Holydramon/Goddramon and Ofanimon/Seraphimon to shut certain fans completely for really good hopefully no more wars?

Chosen children/parnters being different from each others in 01/2020 comparisons:
To my surprise they are slightly different to each others. Disappointed 2020 human ones hardly have any characters rather than 80% "I'm not giving up" dialouges and didn't show their parents but Taichi and Yamato. Oddly Gabumon 2020 is really not shy after all and surprisingly Tentomon 2020 slightly got a bit more personality I can tell. Gomamon's personality isnt much different but same supportive in both seasons... It's weird I didn't see 2020 humans bonding really well to interact to tell about their personal selves to each others. Good thing 2020 gave their digimon partners to show more personalities over humans.... Final thoughts? For humans, it's Adventure 01. For digimon partners, it's Adventure 2020 honestly it's so much more than Adventure 01 partners for memorable. I wonder how the Hades Mimi really got special treatment? She is much more fun than 01! She is really the best girl and truly memorable! Jou, too for sure.
Glad Adventure 2020 treated Mimi and Jou well but not to Sora and Yamato sadly for having so much less screentime/character interaction/character developments. Oh yes Hikari 2020 started to act normal and dropped the creepy eerie girl act after Tailmon joined up.

Episodes/Story/Adventure: Well I find Adventure 01's journey is more comfortable to watch. Because this adventure really gave you dangerous thrills. Adventure 2020 may have more dangerous journey but it felt really so flat due to terrible animation and "I'm not giving up!" situations and Digivice buffing spam. Do you find 2020 re-watchable? No. Honestly I specifically select few best episodes in 2020 sadly. Memorable? Surely Adventure 2020 had few amazing fights to last for decades I can tell you, Millenniummon, DoneDevimon and Abaddomon episodes. However Adventure 01 episodes left me unforgettable memories I guess it's this nostalgia vibes maybe?

Interact/Encounters with other digimons: Leomon survived! The curse is broken! Surprised Leomon didn't evolve it's like as if Leomon and Ogremon took turns! Leomon evolved and died and Ogremon didn't evolve in 01. Now? Ogremon evolved to Rebellimon and Leomon survived! I enjoyed digimon quests from 02 to Frontier as special quests in 2020. Arbormon gained fans! Golemon PS1 was huggest surprise ever along with Holyangemon Priest Mode and Burpmon and that... uhh huge red dino digimon with mini version on its tongue. My wish came true to see Fanbeemon and its evo on anime but shame TigerVespamon didn't. And Titamon, too. Final thoughts? Adventure 2020 obviously due to Adventure 01 have extremely limited fewer quests. Adventure 2020 had the whole wild rooms for more digimon to show up! Komondomon and other transport digimons like Blimpmon, Tankmon, and Mechanorimon have more screentimes shockingly At first, Komondomon's design is hardly Digimon but until I completely grew used to it after revealed its eyes.
I'm pleased with how they had this enemies can evolve and they got their new evo lines and fight in 2020. Please keep this pattern up!

Now with my final opinions? Honestly I'd put Adventure 2020 at "cryostatic" treatment to be separated from Adventure 01 to compare. It's more of... Subspace dimension for my heart to take in. It's not just because of COVID that caused this to suffer. I don't know how to explain but even although I'm bitter towards this 2020, I'm really extremely grateful 2020 to give many chances and birthed so many more interesting twists. Let's hear your reviews on comparisons?

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I enjoyed it for the most part. Unlike Appmon, it managed to keep me engaged every week. Action-wise, it was one of the most enjoyable seasons. The criticisms about a lack of character development are fair, but it didn't detract from my enjoyment much, because I was already so damn tired of the Adventure characters going into the reboot. I really don't think that the writers could have made them interesting to me. Either they would do a retread of their development from the original series*, or they would change their personalities and backgrounds so much that there would be no point in reusing the characters anyway. The attraction for me, even before the series started, was seeing new Digimon and new and better fights, and in that department I was not disappointed.

*And let's be honest, guys, the original characters were not that deep. Sora's one character flaw essentially boiled down to wearing jeans instead of skirts.

BlankShell

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'd say my biggest issues overall were with the pacing; there were plenty of "filler" episodes (not that the original didn't have that as well, but still, trying to evaluate it on its own merits) that could have been cut down, or good character showcases that came weirdly late in the season and distracted from the arc. Honestly, when they started going on about the crests, it almost felt like the start of a new season instead of an arc, so there's a interesting alternate reality in there somewhere.

And sure, some more character development might have been nice; these familial conflicts might have been more meaningful if we had gotten to spend more time with the families in question, but also that's something the original excelled in, so I can see why they didn't take that tack.

Fights were obviously great most of the time (and where it counted), plenty of fresh new monsters and scenarios. I think one of my favorite things might just have been the complete unwillingness to play by any sort of rulebook. I don't often follow week-to-week discussions too deeply, but the series defied basically every prediction (for better and for worse) about it and marched to the beat of its own drum. You could do worse watching a giant toy commercial.

Sparrow Hawk

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I sorta have love-hate feeling towards this honestly but I'm disappointed with no Plotmon, no Heaven's Gate and not even enough fights for Hououmon, HerakleKabuterimon, Vikemon, Rosemon, Ofanimon and Seraphimon also MetalGarurumon needs more fights! Human characters feel kinda empty but Mimi somehow is the best one... Disrespect to Minotaurmon's level poor him...

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh yeah! We didn't see Plotmon. That's mildly weird. Also good point with Heaven's Gate. That too.

Voidmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It is hard to say. I really wanted to love this show as a love letter to my childhood, but the more I think about it the harder it becomes to give the reboot a positive score. There are two things that constantly bugged me in the reboot.

The first one are the villains the kids have faced. Compared to the rogues gallery of the original show I feel like most of the enemies this time around were nothing but rampaging monsters devoid of thought out of control. In spite of the threat they pose they're just not memorable enough and they feel like mere obstacles instead of proper characters. It is sad to say this, but the best villain in the entire show is Ogremon and he is a mid-boss at best.

The other one is how the show just loves to use Omegamon as the definitive answer to solve every problem the cast shouldn't be able to fight yet and how that makes their victories feel unearned. To be honest, the first time it happened right at the start of the anime I had the feeling that wasn't going to end well, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt and hoped that was going to be a one-time thing. Unfortunately, it wasn't and the second time they pulled off this recurring "miracle" card I lost half of my investment in the series. Having Omegamon appearing out of nowhere every time the kids were in a danger too great for them made me stop caring about the odds. I had no reasons to ever feel worried because it was painfully obvious the writers have granted the kids the thickest layers of plot armor ever produced in the history of the franchise.

Reaching the end of the anime, the combination of both the issues above had already made me come to the conclusion there was no way this reboot could possibly end in a fully satisfying note. It doesn't hold a candle to the original, but it still manages to have its good moments here and there. For instance, my favorite episode is definitely the one where Mimi bonds with Guardromon and she might as well be the best thing that came out of this reboot. I also love how adorable Komondomon is and the dynamic between Izzy and Garbemon works just fine, but these good things are still not enough to make up for the screw ups. It might be an interesting experience if you wish to revisit the classic in a diferent light, but having watched it once is enough for me and I would rather have the original. Also, if you are interested in a worldbuilding where the forces of light clash with the dark side I would recomend you to watch Frontier anyway, that season does it better.

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
In hind-sight, I really enjoyed the reboot, even if at times I found it frustrating.

Most of that frustration came from the baggage of it being an Adventure reboot. I think it would have been better served by a fresh cast, and a smaller one at that. These new iterations are different, but just similar enough (like half and half) to make comparisons unavoidable.

The kids were likable, especially when the show leaned into their quirky personalities, but they were certainly lacking the depth of their forbearers.

The structure is most boggling. It's like it did everything in reverse. Start with a retake on Our War Game, then move onto a dire mission against the clock, THEN shift into light episodic stories? The final arc was the least tense section of the entire show, which structurally speaking is just bonkers.

However, the last few episodes did manage to cash the check in terms of a satisfying climactic through-line, and spectacular action. And as awkwardly paced as it was, the show did gingerly explore some interesting broad ideas regarding the good and ill the net bring.

And the music was mint!

I doubt I'll watch it through again (unless it gets dubbed), but there's certainly a few episodes I'll be revisting, and plenty of cool sequences I'll be rewatching on YouTube.

Last edited:

DigiKing Tamer

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It is hard to say. I really wanted to love this show as a love letter to my childhood, but the more I think about it the harder it becomes to give the reboot a positive score. There are two things that constantly bugged me in the reboot.

The first one are the villains the kids have faced. Compared to the rogues gallery of the original show I feel like most of the enemies this time around were nothing but rampaging monsters devoid of thought out of control. In spite of the threat they pose they're just not memorable enough and they feel like mere obstacles instead of proper characters. It is sad to say this, but the best villain in the entire show is Ogremon and he is a mid-boss at best.

The other one is how the show just loves to use Omegamon as the definitive answer to solve every problem the cast shouldn't be able to fight yet and how that makes their victories feel unearned. To be honest, the first time it happened right at the start of the anime I had the feeling that wasn't going to end well, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt and hoped that was going to be a one-time thing. Unfortunately, it wasn't and the second time they pulled off this recurring "miracle" card I lost half of my investment in the series. Having Omegamon appearing out of nowhere every time the kids were in a danger too great for them made me stop caring about the odds. I had no reasons to ever feel worried because it was painfully obvious the writers have granted the kids the thickest layers of plot armor ever produced in the history of the franchise.

Reaching the end of the anime, the combination of both the issues above had already made me come to the conclusion there was no way this reboot could possibly end in a fully satisfying note. It doesn't hold a candle to the original, but it still manages to have its good moments here and there. For instance, my favorite episode is definitely the one where Mimi bonds with Guardromon and she might as well be the best thing that came out of this reboot. I also love how adorable Komondomon is and the dynamic between Izzy and Garbemon works just fine, but these good things are still not enough to make up for the screw ups. It might be an interesting experience if you wish to revisit the classic in a diferent light, but having watched it once is enough for me and I would rather have the original. Also, if you are interested in a worldbuilding where the forces of light clash with the dark side I would recomend you to watch Frontier anyway, that season does it better.
Yeah Frontier does a pretty good job in worldbuilding when looking back, especially when comparing it to Adventure:.

Sparrow Hawk

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh yeah! We didn't see Plotmon. That's mildly weird. Also good point with Heaven's Gate. That too.

Weird thing is, Flamon, Fairymon, Blitzmon, Mecuremon and Loweemon didn't get in while Ranamon/Calamaramon, Arbormon/Petaldramon, Grottemon/Gigasmon, Velgrmon, and Strabimon got in. Also where is Mecuremon since Sephirotmon died transforming into Chimeramon if Ranamon, Grottemon and Arbormon got reborned not even Loweemon? I wonder how did they evolved so fast despite just hatched afterwards?! Unless if Legendary Spirits transferred to new owners rather than the reborned ones aka random Baby I forms. Completely missed a chance IMO...

Imperial

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I found this season to be pretty fun overall. Obscure Digimon - Check. Obscure Evolutions - Check. Obscure Locations - Check. At least 50% of the episodes are watchable (rewatchable?) - Check. With just these it surpassed my interest in Tamers, Frontier, and Xross Wars. Not big accomplishments, but I digress.

If this was my first Digimon show would I be interested in watching more? Stacked question really because the variables matter. If this was my first Digimon show at this age, I probably wouldn't watch more, because I'm just not in a headspace to really watch anime or Digimon without nostalgia baiting me. If this show aired in 1999 instead of the original adventure I'd have lost my mind. I fully believe this show could compete with Prime Pokemon like the original without being washed away. Though Digimon as a whole would have a completely different reputation than it does now.

Now in comparison to the original. That's pretty murky. It is completely true that the kids in this were not the same as the original. They were all pretty much variations of Genki from Monster Hunter. I hated Matt in the original, and that feeling is absent here. I'm indifferent to him. I'm not impressed with anyone really. I'm more looking forward to what's the next whacky adventure they'll get into next. It's its own thing. I'm a fan of Tai and Mimi and have been for 20+ years, so they could do anything here and I'd be happy. They never needed to earn my feelings in this show like they did in the original. This show was watched on a grading curve. And that both helped it and hindered it. I never would've watched it if it wasn't Adventure and had the adventure children. Period. But it had big shoes to fill in and it decided to fill in other shoes instead.

I've always thought the desire for everyone to have Megas is not really necessary. In the original, the two Megas we got was enough. In Tri, I felt only Izzy and Kari went through big enough crisis to have earned their Mega. In this series it felt like the only Megas(+) that felt special were the Great Dragons and Omegamon. Lowkey Mugendramon was good too and that for me justifies WarGreymon, but that's about it. To be fair though, it's not like Megas have been special since Tamers had the main three all get it pretty easily. And Savers the series I laud was far more interested in showing the specialness of Burst Mode more than Mega itself. So this thought process of mine doesn't have much footing anyway.

All in all I liken this series to DMC vs DmC. Devil May Cry (Capcom) vs Devil May Cry (Team Ninja.) People whined about the new Dante compared to the original one. And just kinda hated the reboot. At least vocally. But Gameplay wise those that loved doing their combo exhibitions and didn't sweat the story as much found a lot to love in the Reboot.

And well. . .it was pretty fun. I will say though that the constant bi***ing of the fandom hindered more enjoyment than the actual show did.

Havocmon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This season has been, good, not excellent but thanks to this and Kizuna I recovered my long-lost love for Digimon and for this series I registered in this forum today and I will give a chance to Ghost Game

We had some really cool battles like the final one despite I hate Omegamon fights where they fight alone only two characters.

TK, Joe and Mimi have been excellent characters and Kairi had his moments, the others... is like they sucked the fun outta of them.

The lack of a villain has been one of the big negatives, Devimon did almost nothing and Milleniumon was just a big boss, Negamon too. Just the enemy to beat, but not the antithesis. OG Digimon had some amazing villains Etemon,Vandemon and the Dark Masters.

Digimon is at his best when it's silly, that's why I loved the Pottamon and Etemon episode, the first part of the series was too much serious. I like serious and dark things like Tamers and Savers, but that was serious and boring at the same time.

It was cool seeing the OG Digidestined with his ultimate forms, but what I liked most was seeing little TK with Pegasusmon.

Not a good series but the first time since a lot of years that I followed a series from the beginning to the end.

Cyborg Space Dragon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Finally gathered my thoughts on this one.

This season was a good showcase of the individual characters but not much else. So few interactions, even worse considering how good the few we got were. And we learn so little about the children’s pre Digital World lives, like the writers were expecting familiarity with the 01 versions.

The fights had no tension, like Deathmon compared to Piemon. Piemon completely dominated WarGreymon until MetalGarurumon showed up and when it looked like the two had chance, Clown Trick. Piemon beat the Taichi/Yamato team. It ends with Takeru and Hikari falling to their deaths with Angemon too injured to do anything and then Takeru awakens his Crest and HolyAngemon turns everything around. Compare to Deathmon. He just comes in, firing his laser, and HolyAngemon and Angewomon just evolve and take him out. None of the buildup that made the Piemon fight so good.

And then there’s Omegamon. His first two appearances were awful. The children win a difficult battle only to have the enemy come back as an Ultimate. It looks hopeless… never mind Omegamon just comes out of nowhere and the badguy can’t do anything to him. Great job cheapening their previous win. But hey, maybe Abbadomon will change things, being the “Great Catastrophe” and all… never mind. He’s just a slightly weaker copy. Just another Apocalymon fight with flashy choreography.

It think Omegamon is what lead to Taichi and Yamato being so mishandled. I mean, there’s already the Archangels and Crests, so what could this jogress of two completely ordinary Ultimates offer on top of that? I’m guessing nothing because Omegamon ended up as nothing more than a flimsy excuse to shove Taichi into everything whether he had anything to offer or not. Most of the time it was “not”. He worked well with Koushiro and Sora but that was about it.

Meanwhile, poor Yamato aka “that other Omegamon guy” gets the bare minimum. At least he had a good episode with Takeru, which is more than Taichi got with Hikari. Though ironically I think he was still handled better than Taichi, with the effect he had on Jou and Mimi.

At least the other kids came off better. Sora in 01 always felt a bit confused, like they never really had anything more than tomboy with girly virtue. Now she’s always eager to help, very selfless, but has a reckless side that just pops out. Like the dependable Sora she tries to be for everyone else and the real Sora who Taichi brings out. That said, it was complete wasted potential not to bring up Hououmon’s two Holy Rings, given her relationship with Takeru and Hikari.

Mimi and Jou went from simply “there” to the stars of their episodes. I was really surprised at how good they were together in Vikemon Ventures the Glacier; I was afraid she would drown him out, but she made him shine.

Koushiro frustrated me. We get hints that he’s having issues similar to 01 but nothing more. It was cute at the end, having him and Mimi working together, but I don't recall them ever doing anything together before that. Kinda ruined the impact.

Takeru and Hikari got lots of time together. Especially off screen which seemed to be every conversation they had. I did like seeing Hikari going from practically hiding behind Takeru while riding Pegasmon to goomba-stomping Soulmon. An actual arc that 01 never had time to give her. If only it could’ve gotten more attention instead of just shoe horning Taichi everywhere. I did like the less dependent Takeru. Even in 01, he was always capable, but now he knows it.

The children being living DigiMentals was such wasted potential. That’s what the big miracle should’ve revolved around.

Ricardolindo

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Positives: It had a lot of action, often with good animation. The lore and worldbuilding were good. Everyone got Ultimates.
Negatives: There was a lack of character development. There was too much focus on Taichi. Millenniumon was a bad villain. It may have been too long. The Perfects may have been introduced too early.
I would rank it above only Frontier and, counting it separately, Hunters.

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The series was not that bad, and I quite enjoyed it. Yeah, it was full of Taichi, but even though he was never my favourite character (even back in the original series) I learnt how to ignore his presence, and after that the series became more enjoyable.

It did have some positives, and among them are Mimi's redemption (from being one of the most annoying characters to one of the best characters) or animating many rare and obscure Digimons. I'm still upset what they did to my poor ZeedMillenniummon, but I'm glad they did show him.

All in all, I don't count the time I spent on watching it as wasted.

JR9386

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A2020 didn't deliver.

I believe that A2020 was going in a radically different direction with the backstory we received concerning the Holy War and all the Digimon involved. We have Omnimon by the second or third episode, which should have indicated that the story that we would eventually watch unfold would have higher stakes, and then what we got was just so lackluster.

What happened to the remaining Holy Digimon featured in the Holy War? Why didn't Lopmon figure into that final battle? What were the identities of the remaining Celestial Choirs?

Did Covid radically distort the story we were supposed to get that the highlight of the series was just Omnimon Alter S?

I'm speculating here, but was the introduction of Valkyriemon (Valdurmon Slide?) Shakkoumon (ClavisAngemon/SlashAngemon?), and potentially Leomon (Not that it is a canon evolution meant, but perhaps ClavisAngemon?) meant to be a segué into the remaining Celestial Digimon?