Digimon Adventure 02: The Beginning, is the New Movie Title, plus Redacted Plot & Storyboard

Noni

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As far as the theory goes that losing a Digimon is the result of rejecting them from your adult life: That's an interesting theory, although I wonder if it might be taking things a little too literally -- as in, I think a very convincing case can be made for that being the metaphorical thrust here, this idea of a rejection of childishness being a bad thing, but I'm less convinced that that's meant to be the literal cause-and-effect here.

I'm not sure if I understood what you meant.

To better explain how I interpreted things after reading Mattman's post: I think the countdown/disappearance might be triggered by a conscious or subconscious feeling of rejecting the partner as part of their future and then convincing themselves this is what must happen. But I do not see the partner digimon and the adventures the chosen children had with them as inherently childish. My interpretation after reading that reply was that the human characters themselves might see it that way, which triggers the entire thing.

From your post I gather you think this might be the general message in a metaphorical way, but the countdown and disappearance of the digimon partner would actually be something explained by another unknown cause in-universe?

Muur

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As far as the theory goes that losing a Digimon is the result of rejecting them from your adult life: That's an interesting theory, although I wonder if it might be taking things a little too literally -- as in, I think a very convincing case can be made for that being the metaphorical thrust here, this idea of a rejection of childishness being a bad thing, but I'm less convinced that that's meant to be the literal cause-and-effect here.

To better explain how I interpreted things after reading Mattman's post: I think the countdown/disappearance might be triggered by a conscious or subconscious feeling of rejecting the partner as part of their future and then convincing themselves this is what must happen. But I do not see the partner digimon and the adventures the chosen children had with them as inherently childish. My interpretation after reading that reply was that the human characters themselves might see it that way, which triggers the entire thing.

From your post I gather you think this might be the general message in a metaphorical way, but the countdown and disappearance of the digimon partner would actually be something explained by another unknown cause in-universe?
Menoa very clearly goes against this, she was gonna take Morphomon with her and then it ruined her entire life

WoolishlyGrim

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Yeah, that's basically what I'm putting forward: That thematically the Digimon vanishing is a metaphor for losing a part of yourself by rejecting childishness, but that in-universe it's not actually caused by the kids feeling like their partners aren't part of their future.

Noni

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Menoa very clearly goes against this, she was gonna take Morphomon with her and then it ruined her entire life

This is also how I interpreted the movie originally, and why I disliked Kizuna, till I read Mattman's interpretation of what happened.

I never considered that the message of those scenes of Menoa talking about how she can now "move on her own" were eerily similar to the same discussions Yamato and Taichi were having in the restaurant. Which is why I initially replied that she was clearly taken aback by her partner disappearing and thus she didn't literally want that to happen. I reasoned based on this interpretation that Mattman brought that she was subconsciously moving away/rejecting her partnership with Morphomon.

Previously my interpretation of the film was that the story was punishing Menoa for wanting to do "adult things" and not understanding that to do that she must move on from her childhood, and that obligatory means parting ways with Morphomon. Which is also why I theorized this might be the reason Kakudou left the project, since it would mean the film is saying that adulthood is incompatible with having a partner Digimon.

Something that I dislike, since it feels like the movie is a message from fans to let it go, as well. And also would imply that the writers believe that childhood is the only time in life where one holds "endless possibilities", which to me would be rather cynic view.

But now I recall we see some adult human partners waking up from the coma at the end and also that is true that there is a clear contrast on how Taichi and Yamato behave in relation to their partners in comparison to the cast of 02, for example. So maybe the movie was in fact being critical of Taichi and Yamato's position about it all, and also hinting at the real reason why Menoa lost Morphomon.

If that's the case, then it would mean I kinda misinterpreted the movie as much more cynic and mean-spirited and a rejection of the canon, when in fact it was doing something else entirely.

That would sit better with me, because I would rather like the movie than hate it, which has been the case since I watched it.

Tarama

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I agree with Mattman's interpretation about losing bonds in Kizuna.
I think The Beginning will show/explain us more about partnership/bond. The first human with digimon partner might tell us something about it, make the whole Kizuna situation clearer.

Wonder if there's a possibility of seeing Magnamon again in the film?
Yes.
Omegamon appeared in Kizuna before we got two new digimon. I think and I hope we may see Magnamon as well before the new evolution of V-mon.

Shadow Moon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
and there was no third time.

Yes there was, and it's still canon, just like the rest of Tri.
its arguably the 4th time due to that whole thing with millenniummon resurrecting a version of him in anode/cathode

Wizardmon's soul was trapped in the real world as a digital ghost, again, not reborn.
xros wars manga begs to differ as it the version of hikari's gatomon that showed up in it was salvaging all of wizardmons data from across the multiverse. she got enough to bring him back, but not enough to completely bring back all of his memories before he was blasted into hypertime by the forced xros zeedmillenniummon

CloneWarrior

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Last edited:

WoolishlyGrim

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I suspect if we try to legislate how canon the stage play is or the Xros Wars manga, we'll all die of old age before we reach anything approaching a consensus.

Noni

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, that's basically what I'm putting forward: That thematically the Digimon vanishing is a metaphor for losing a part of yourself by rejecting childishness, but that in-universe it's not actually caused by the kids feeling like their partners aren't part of their future.
Ah, I see, I understand now. I hope this new movie clarifies all these lingering questions about Kizuna. I also have been wondering if after Ghost Game ends we could see a reboot of 02 much like Adventure: (2020). But that's a digression...

TheGif

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I believe the 02 movie will finally resolve the issue of why partners are lost. Gennai illudes to the idea that if a person can find that type of spark of creativity and passion again that created open possibilities we have as kids, that anything is possible. Yamato going into the space problem and Taichi going into law shows they are on their path to finding something they lacked earlier in the movie, passion. The same passions that we see them having by the epilogue of 02.

I think its possible the 02 kids will learn this lesson in this movie. As they all expressed their dreams in the World of Dreams, and never let them die, something that maybe keeps their passions and creativity alive to avoid losing their partners, or learning how to restore their partners by remembering and embracing life and your dreams, not viewing them as the end of having fun and being imaginative, as Taichi and Yamato struggled with in Kizuna.

It would make sense that Kizuna acted as the Adventure kids last battle, but that the true ending to the original story is provided through the 02 movie, just as the epilogue was in 02, not Adventure. Maybe this child, the first person to partner with a Digimon is the clue to restoring the lost partners. I'd say, be ready for a final scene where we hear all the Adventure Digimon voices call out to their now adult partners, having found what they needed to be fulfilled and happy as adults, and now ready for their friends to return.

Noni

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Is an interesting idea. I definitely hope exploring these things is the plan for the 02 movie.

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
On top of Yamato and the rocket thing, we already have as well:
- Sora already starting to take over duties after her mother's work;
- Koushiro clearly already working on keeping studying the Digital World. Something he was doing since Tri;
- Jou continuing his studies as a doctor;
- Mimi starting as an entrepreneur, which is not as directly obvious, but hints at her career in media in the future;
- Takeru starting writing;
- Daisuke starting to study for his ramen business.

The only ones we don't get a clear direct link are Taichi, Iori, Ken, Miyako and Hikari. But that's fine, because we already have enough proof with the other ones that things are going as expected.

I feel like we have been hearing about a supposed "retcon" that is happening since Tri. And I don't know where this is coming from.

The official profile characters for Kizuna have hints that they are preparing for their jobs in the Epilogue too.

Also, Taichi's thesis is about connecting the Worlds (as we see at the end of the movie), so it's pretty clear his hopes to meet Agumon again haven't dissapeared.

Last edited:

Ricardolindo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I only found out about this on Saturday night and am commenting belatedly. I must say the title Beginning as well as the changes in the plot make me concerned that the 02 movie is going to focus too much on the first human ever to partner with a Digimon and the past.

Daisukemotomiya

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Someone knows if it is possible to watch the digi Festival online tomorrow?? šŸ˜£