Digimon Adventure 02: The Beginning, is the New Movie Title, plus Redacted Plot & Storyboard

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
zerotwo_july19_2022.jpg

During the pre-DigiFes stream, Producer Kinoshita accidentally showed off the cover to what looks to be the first part of the storyboards from the new 02 movie, and the camera operator zoomed in, revealing the title for the new movie...

Digimon Adventure 02: The Beginning

02plot_july19_2022.jpg
02storyboard_july19_2022.jpg

Later during the stream we had some heavily redacted plot info, which appears to be the first scene, along with some background info, explaining a few of them are showing up to a ramen tasting party/event. After that we get a look at storyboard from that scene.

Full translations once time allows.

Attachments

• article.jpg
    article.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 8,307
Last edited:

Agu-Chan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Is it some kind of prequel to Adventure 02? Perhaps in a similar likeness to the Adventure movie that preceded the series.

The Chaos Entity

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Is it some kind of prequel to Adventure 02? Perhaps in a similar likeness to the Adventure movie that preceded the series.
No, it’s a sequel to Kizuna about the 02 cast meeting ‘the first person to partner with a Digimon’. It was first revealed last year.

Brodul

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The beginning could be a flashback to Kizuna well maybe this might be Davis and Ken's turn to say goodbye to Veemon and Wormmon

MagicBox

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If we can assume the person sitting next to Takeru and Patamon in that storyboard is Hikari, I *think* that's meant to be Tailmon sitting in her lap. With Yuka Tokumitsu's recent retirement from voice acting, I was wondering how her character would be handled. I'm the kind of person who would prefer the character simply be retired if the original voice actor is no longer working (which, if this truly is a direct sequel to "Kizuna", would be very easy to do), but I'll be interested to see if Tokumitsu comes back one final time (like she did with the "Kizuna" character songs) or if Tailmon's being recast (either with her Adventure: voice actor or someone new).

Aside from all of that, I really don't have much to say about the film yet. I'm thankful the writer and director from "Last Evolution Kizuna" are returning; I adored that movie. My only wish list so far is that they bring back as many staff members from that movie as possible, that AiM gets to sing the ending theme again, and that Ayumi Miyazaki gets to sing new versions of "Break Up!" and "Beat Hit!" like he previously did for "Brave Heart". (And of course, if they'd be willing to reunite the original TV series voice cast for a flashback scene or something, I wouldn't complain.)

Mattman324

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The beginning could be a flashback to Kizuna well maybe this might be Davis and Ken's turn to say goodbye to Veemon and Wormmon
Absolutely not. The way LE:K portrayed the 02 cast (including Hikari/Takeru) basically straight up said they were never going to lose their partners, and implied similar things about Mimi.

Mattman324

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
How do you figure?
The central reason Taichi, Yamato, and Sora were shown to have lost their partners is that they decided they would live their lives without them, so they lost them, which is pretty well hammered in early in the movie by Taichi and Yamato laughing about the very thought of their partners being with them in college or on the job and then Eosmon showing up within ten seconds - this is shown to have also been the reason Menoa actually lost her partner, and is the reason why Menoa's theory that it's about age is so easily disproven (you know, ignoring that she was 14 when she lost Morphomon and I'm pretty sure some of the Adventure cast in 01 were over that age by the time of 02).

But that's obviously not an issue for the 02 cast because they spend all their goddamn time with their partners, like, there's not a scene in the movie where one shows up and the other isn't onscreen or just barely offscreen. That's even the case for Hikari and Takeru who had to be physically taken out before Eosmon could grab them, and fuck, those two were with Taichi and Yamato's partners in the first half of the movie about as much as Taichi and Yamato were with their own partners!

(Mimi kind of follows that because in most of her scenes she's with Palmon? Koushiro is also usually with Tentomon but I think in one of the scenes where he's at his computer Tentomon isn't around.)

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Or this is the retcon to the retcon to the retcon that finally brings us to the 02 ending. Maybe they finally get to fight and kill Homeostasis in this?

Noni

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Or this is the retcon to the retcon to the retcon that finally brings us to the 02 ending. Maybe they finally get to fight and kill Homeostasis in this?
The 02 ending has not been retconned. I don't understand why people keep saying this. We see several hints of their 02 futures in Kizuna itself.

How do you figure?
The central reason Taichi, Yamato, and Sora were shown to have lost their partners is that they decided they would live their lives without them, so they lost them, which is pretty well hammered in early in the movie by Taichi and Yamato laughing about the very thought of their partners being with them in college or on the job and then Eosmon showing up within ten seconds - this is shown to have also been the reason Menoa actually lost her partner, and is the reason why Menoa's theory that it's about age is so easily disproven (you know, ignoring that she was 14 when she lost Morphomon and I'm pretty sure some of the Adventure cast in 01 were over that age by the time of 02).

But that's obviously not an issue for the 02 cast because they spend all their goddamn time with their partners, like, there's not a scene in the movie where one shows up and the other isn't onscreen or just barely offscreen. That's even the case for Hikari and Takeru who had to be physically taken out before Eosmon could grab them, and fuck, those two were with Taichi and Yamato's partners in the first half of the movie about as much as Taichi and Yamato were with their own partners!

(Mimi kind of follows that because in most of her scenes she's with Palmon? Koushiro is also usually with Tentomon but I think in one of the scenes where he's at his computer Tentomon isn't around.)

This is a bit of a rant about Kizuna, I'm sorry for using your post to discuss it, but I might as well given this film is a follow up to it and by the same creatives.

That's a rather charitable interpretation of why they decided to go so strongly against some of the worldviews established in the anime, in my opinion. I personally disliked how much Kizuna feels like the creatives involved treating the kids adventures as something they must outgrow eventually, and the very idea adults are incompatible with digimon, which contradicts the message of 02.

I felt overall the idea of somehow you losing the ability to have endless potential ending as you embrace adulthood quite cynic as well. It just felt like the writers and director telling the audience to move on already. While we do not known which creative differences lead to Kakudou leaving the project, I feel this seems like a strong reason why he probably would.

Of course speculating about creative direction intent is a risky topic, because at the end of the day we can only know if they straight up out loud state their intent and opinions with the message of the film. And there is a lot of fandom projection on interpreting things, I admit myself this is how I took the film general treatment of the topic. But that's how the story came off to me.

The villain of the movie is someone who refuses to "grow up", and builds a Peter Pan-esque paradise so that she can never have to face her own reality. Meanwhile you have Taichi and Yamato preparing themselves to face their own adulthood. You also have the two having a major crisis over being separated from their partners, and the digivice counter as a visual proof that what Menoa was saying was "correct". I have no doubt the 02 ending will still be canon with the kids eventually meeting their partners again, but their partnership as chosen and chosen children digimon that allowed them to evolve being now cut forever.

Again, this is how the movie message came off to me. I would be extremely pleased to be proved wrong.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well it's nice to see something for this movie. I do wonder what's going to happen here.

Santaskid

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
02 epilogue was not retconned simply because well theres still like 15+ years between Kizuna and 25 years later

Adventure- 1999
02- 2002
Tri- 2005
Kizuna- 2010
25 years later 2027

While the fact that Agu, Gabu and Biyo are gone does seem to contradict the epilogue theres still a lot of time between them, and while digimon who DIE in the real world aren't given a chance to be reborn we don't know the specifics of fading away. But details aside theres plenty of time between Kizuna and 25 years later for Agu Gabu and Biyo to somehow return, as well as plenty of time for them to decide if Jun's team is gonna be made canon or not (like how the drama cds mention of the group before tai being the partners of the 4 holy beasts. That drama CD bit became canon when we found out about Daigo's group in Tri.

All we know is some guy in the new movie claims he was the "FIRST HUMAN TO BEFRIEND A DIGIMON"
This means the dude is probably pretty old (or a time traveller we cant rule that out) I mean if tai is like 22 in kizuna- we don't know if Beginning is 1 year after kizuna, a couple months after kizuna? several years later?

The first partner would have to predate Daigo's group. I'm gonna assume since we don't know WHEN daigo's group had their adventure, i'm gonna assume thier big battle was around the same time as the hikarigaoka incident. Simply because the 02 kids became chosen during major adventure battles- be it the Apocalymon fight or the diaboromon incident (that might of been a dub only thing) So Tai and co witnessing the Hikarigaoka incident it'd make some sense if maybe that corrosponded to Daigo's groups final battle the barrier between worlds weakening enough for the HIkarigaoka incident to happen. So that was what 95?

So our new character's adventure would of likely been PRE 95, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume he's around Oikawa's age, so mid 30s during 02... + 8 years since so business guy in his early/mid 40s recounting his youth when he first met a digimon back in like 1980.

Mattman324

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I personally disliked how much Kizuna feels like the creatives involved treating the kids adventures as something they must outgrow eventually, and the very idea adults are incompatible with digimon, which contradicts the message of 02.
Um.

Except that's the opposite of what the movie says.

Like, it's the literal opposite. It's what the villain says, and the villain is directly proven wrong when her actions are examined against her own words and what happens in the movie.
The villain of the movie is someone who refuses to "grow up", and builds a Peter Pan-esque paradise so that she can never have to face her own reality.
The villain of the movie is someone who decided she didn't need her partner when she was a small child and then went completely insane when the universe went "well, talk shit..." and took her partner away.

Don't believe me? Don't worry! Here's what the actual film shows was her mindset in that era!

4HRlt7a.png

She decided that she was going to do the "I'm an adult now so I don't need a partner," and got her wish goddamn granted. That's why she lost it. The fact of the matter is that literally anything she says about how partner losing works being related to age would be suspect to an extreme even before then (because she also is shown to have lost her partner at the age of 14, which, again, some of the cast was older than in 02), but the movie itself directly calls into attention the fact that she decided to say her partner was unnecessary, and then she lost her partner.

And if that seems a bit unimportant to you, don't worry, because we also have what Taichi and Yamato were thinking prior to their partners being lost, and it was, uh... this. Which, I couldn't find the scene subbed in English, but don't worry, I'm sure you will, and besides that scene being what one of my friends laughingly remembers as the infinite proof that the 02 ending can't be real because Taichi and Yamato obviously get married, it's also really fucking telling as to what was actually going on there.
You also have the two having a major crisis over being separated from their partners, and the digivice counter as a visual proof that what Menoa was saying was "correct".
You know, that thing that only three people get, and several characters which are older than them don't have, and which Gennai notes does take away Partners, but that even he isn't really sure of everything that's going on and notes that it may well not be permanent (I believe his exact words were something like "if you still hold infinite possibilities within yourself, than maybe...", but honestly I don't remember the exact line, the point is the movie brings up that it shouldn't be permanent - and I know someone made a really well put together theory a few years back that Eosmon was the reborn Morphomon but got Dark Evolved but I can't remember where it was to quote it, so...)
and while digimon who DIE in the real world aren't given a chance to be reborn
You know, except Vamdemon being reborn three separate times that are still canon, and Wizardmon coming back in 02, and Pumpmon and Gottsumon showing up in that audio drama...

Noni

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The villain of the movie is someone who decided she didn't need her partner when she was a small child and then went completely insane when the universe went "well, talk shit..." and took her partner away.

Don't believe me? Don't worry! Here's what the actual film shows was her mindset in that era!
You know, that thing that only three people get, and several characters which are older than them don't have, and which Gennai notes does take away Partners, but that even he isn't really sure of everything that's going on and notes that it may well not be permanent (I believe his exact words were something like "if you still hold infinite possibilities within yourself, than maybe...", but honestly I don't remember the exact line, the point is the movie brings up that it shouldn't be permanent

Honestly, at the time I didn't interpret her lines this harshly. My interpretation was that because the character was doing things associated with "adulthood" that the movie message was that she didn't need a partner anymore and thus she lost them.

The fact that the partnership being severed is not literally tied to adulthood was and is obvious to me. But so much of the movie is the protagonists resigning to adulthood and ultimately confronting a Menoa who regrets "growing up", that thinks "children should remain children", that I understood the ultimate message was that she was in the wrong for not accepting an inevitable reality every chosen child was going to face sooner or later. It felt grim to me, and a very sad idea to push on the fans of the franchise.

She seems rather shocked that any of the things she wanted would actually result in losing her digimon partner. So she didn't literally want that. But I can see with that conversation of Taichi and Yamato that they seem to be convincing themselves even if subconsciously, that this is what must happen.

So your argument does put to light for me that the actual message of the movie would be that Menoa, Taichi and Yamato were in the wrong during these scenes and are supposed to be seen in the wrong; and that mindset of theirs is what caused the partnership to break by denying an adulthood that also encompasses their childhood, instead of embracing it. Gennai comment also seems to support that with the fact he doesn't see a reason why adulthood would deny it.

It has been a while since I watched it and I know there are novelizations as well. I intend to rewatch the entire franchise from the start soon, and also read interviews with the creatives along the way. So rethinking how I feel about this movie is something I wanted to do. As I mentioned, I do want to be wrong about this movie, I'd rather have something that supposedly celebrates the franchise actually be, well, celebratory of the things that make it. So in that sense I appreciate the conversation and actually changing my opinion on it.

Edit: this does open a few questions, however. For example, Sora is also implied to have lost Piyomon, and she doesn't seem to want to part ways with them. Which is what ultimately causes her not to be part of the action. Koushiro also never questions Menoa's theory on the subject. So is odd that very few characters push against this narrative in it. Gennai also mentions being aware of the partners disappearing at some point and it not being something he mentioned as the same as why people don't talk about "death". He doesn't offer an explanation of why it happens, but chosen children with digimon is a recent thing and surely it doesn't seem like he has any idea of why it happens other than "adulthood".

Last edited:

Miragecoordinator

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
AFAIK, they never said that the 02 ending was retconned; they probably regret writing it but I digress. Killing Homeostasis would be an extremely bad idea. It is a force of nature in the Digital World. The Digital World would undoubtedly would be destabilized if that were to happen. Also, Yggdrasill is probably the only entity that could ever take the place of Homeostasis.

Last edited:

Mattman324

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Koushiro also never questions Menoa's theory on the subject.
Koushiro instead skips to directly questioning if Menoa's acting in good faith, like Yamato, and finds out that she's not. He just finds out too late.

The movie never bothers really questioning her theory because it makes it pretty obvious that she's incorrect, and directly positions the 02 cast as antithetical to her - not only do they do everything with their partners, but in the end, two of them had to be physically assaulted to be forced into Neverland (and their unconscious bodies were used as bait for Taichi and Yamato) and the other four, despite only going to the Adult level, make an absolute mockery of her army of Perfect level Eosmon.

Which is part of why I absolutely believe this movie won't be "and then the 02 kids lose their partners" - because it doesn't actually make sense as a follow up to LE:K, and the main writers from that are still here, so why would they do that?
they never said that the 02 ending was retconned;
In fact, Last Evolution Kizuna's ending went out of its way to do things like show Yamato admiring and clearly thinking about a rocket, implying that the 02 epilogue is still on, which would inherently mean they get their partners back at some point.

Wouldn't be shocked if this movie has a subplot about them regaining their partners (if literally only for an OMEGAAA moment because god forbid Omegamon be absent, which would mean another movie of Sora getting fucking shafted, but that's just how Digimon works), although at the same time they might not focus on them so much because they have other things to focus on. Who knows.

Noni

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
On top of Yamato and the rocket thing, we already have as well:
- Sora already starting to take over duties after her mother's work;
- Koushiro clearly already working on keeping studying the Digital World. Something he was doing since Tri;
- Jou continuing his studies as a doctor;
- Mimi starting as an entrepreneur, which is not as directly obvious, but hints at her career in media in the future;
- Takeru starting writing;
- Daisuke starting to study for his ramen business.

The only ones we don't get a clear direct link are Taichi, Iori, Ken, Miyako and Hikari. But that's fine, because we already have enough proof with the other ones that things are going as expected.

I feel like we have been hearing about a supposed "retcon" that is happening since Tri. And I don't know where this is coming from.

Mon-Ohma

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wonder if there's a possibility of seeing Magnamon again in the film?

WoolishlyGrim

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
On top of Yamato and the rocket thing, we already have as well:
- Sora already starting to take over duties after her mother's work;
- Koushiro clearly already working on keeping studying the Digital World. Something he was doing since Tri;
- Jou continuing his studies as a doctor;
- Mimi starting as an entrepreneur, which is not as directly obvious, but hints at her career in media in the future;
- Takeru starting writing;
- Daisuke starting to study for his ramen business.

The only ones we don't get a clear direct link are Taichi, Iori, Ken, Miyako and Hikari. But that's fine, because we already have enough proof with the other ones that things are going as expected.

I feel like we have been hearing about a supposed "retcon" that is happening since Tri. And I don't know where this is coming from.

It seems to mostly come from either a) People who 23 years later still can't cope with Taichi and Sora not being romantically involved, and b) People who think that any Digimon thing passing by without explicitly saying 'and then the epilogue happened' must be a retcon.

It goes without saying that I don't have a particularly high opinion of either.

As far as the theory goes that losing a Digimon is the result of rejecting them from your adult life: That's an interesting theory, although I wonder if it might be taking things a little too literally -- as in, I think a very convincing case can be made for that being the metaphorical thrust here, this idea of a rejection of childishness being a bad thing, but I'm less convinced that that's meant to be the literal cause-and-effect here.

Tetsuya Suoh

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You know, except Vamdemon being reborn three separate times that are still canon, and Wizardmon coming back in 02, and Pumpmon and Gottsumon showing up in that audio drama...
Those all have pretty clear explanations that don't negate the "digimon who die in the real world can't be reborn) thing.
Specifically, Vamdemon and Wizardmon weren't reborn. The first time, Vamdemon was resurrected, something totally different from being reborn. The second time, he latched onto Oikawa like a parasite which, along with him literally being an already Undead Digimon, kept him from truly dying in the first place, and there was no third time. Wizardmon's soul was trapped in the real world as a digital ghost, again, not reborn.
And the Gotsumon and Pumpmon thing takes place post-reboot, which is stated in Tri to be the only way Digimon that otherwise can't be reborn (destroyed Digitamas and Digimon who died on the real world) can be.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure that after every release since tri the writers have confirmed that the 02 epilogue is still canon.

As for the movie itself, I know I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but I just want to see Valkyriemon and SlashAngemon, (I just don't like the idea of two Chosen in the same universe having the same Ultimate unless they Jogress together) maybe GranKuwagamon.

Last edited: